Author Topic: new indy 139 low vs old-new thunder 147 low ?!?!?!?!!?  (Read 5402 times)

ulpsb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
new indy 139 low vs old-new thunder 147 low ?!?!?!?!!?
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »
ok ok so right now i am riding the indy 139 lows. about a half a year ago i had made the switch from a 7.6 to an 8.0 board and im never looking back. at the time i was riding thunder lows but they did not have 147 lows so i was forced to go to the indy 139 low which i then actually really liked. now thunder re-released the 147 lows now and i got them to try out. i noticed the hangers are different---- thunder hangers are more forward towards the nose and indy hangers are more back towards the middle of the baseplate. im pretty sure this is a difference in turning and the quickness of the turn.   if anyone has any information(facts) comparing these two trucks, similarities n differences and which would be better for certain aspects of skating, please respond! for me i could hold nosegrinds n stuff easier with the thunders, but the indys grind way better. on the other hand i like the indys better for flip tricks, esp nollie n fakie stuff. the thunders seem to be too quick of a response for me when i flip the board and land, like they are quick to pick a side and just lean sharp that way....... so if anyone has any info, please post back!   thank you!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:41:44 AM by ulpsb »

ulpsb

Re: new indy 139 low vs old-new thunder 147 low ?!?!?!?!!?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:56:45 AM »
 im so ocd about my setup.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
the indy 139 lows are still fairly new so its hard for me to say(i only ride highs these days).
the thunder 147 lows have come and gone for a reason.  the weren't popular enough to keep making them but then for whatever reason, they brought them back(yet you still never see them stocked at a shop very often).

thunders have always turned better than indy but indy has always grinded better than thunder, pick which ever one is more important to you.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »
im so ocd about my setup.

me too. just by the last part of your paragraph id say indys. im about to get a pair of the new forged indys that are a mid height. i used to skate lows then for the past 9 months ive skated highs. hopefully these will be the holy grail of trucks

ulpsb

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
 yea they say the forged trucks are right in between.  the baseplate is thinner making it a little lower than standard indy and a little higher than the low indy.

ulpsb

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:46:27 AM »
also with poppin out of nosegrinds. i felt like the thunders not only balanced better but i was floatin out of them, it felt so good. it pisses me off cause both trucks are good, they just have different aspects that stand out better for certain tricks, for me. im just so ocd i cant figure out which one to skate!!

ccc333

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
  • ohyeah
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »
also with poppin out of nosegrinds. i felt like the thunders not only balanced better but i was floatin out of them, it felt so good. it pisses me off cause both trucks are good, they just have different aspects that stand out better for certain tricks, for me. im just so ocd i cant figure out which one to skate!!

Ride an Indy in the back and Thunder in the front :D

duffmanshredder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ride an Indy in the back and Thunder in the front :D
The mullet of skateboards  :)
it's not fantasizing if it really happened.  your gay as fuck for even thinkin about them havin sex u fagit

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
You cant go wrong with thunder, nor indy. Put some good bushings in Indys and you are good, Thunders turn good anyway.

ulpsb

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »
the indy bushings that come with the lows are perfect. i just got back from my shop and for now i put bones bushings in the thunders and see how i like it.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »
Forged indy's for life, I will never go back.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 02:45:32 AM »
Keep in mind, with the Thunders there is a good chance you'll be sliding on your wheels on tail and nose tricks on account of those hangers being further out on the baseplates. With the Indys, seeing as the hangers are set inside the baseplate more, you're going to be sliding on metal with nose and tail tricks. I prefer the sound and feel of the metal, and find it less likely to stick or get little flatspots.

From one OCD dude to another, here's some advice: pick one and stick with it, and trust you made a good choice--Indys and Thunders are both sick. You'll adjust to the slight differences and everything will be OK. Sell or give away the other set of trucks or you'll be likely to keep switching that shit on and off until you rip your fucking hair out from obsessing. That, or stick them in a fucking closet and don't even look at them until you're down to the axle on the ones you choose to ride.

*edit
Yeah, Firebert above my post has a good example of what I mean about sliding on the baseplate in his pic.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:51:53 AM by lipscantgo »

ginzberg

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 06:17:36 AM »
Holy crap. I cannot believe I never ever thought to look at different trucks from that angle. I am completely shocked at how big a difference the hanger position is between the thunder and indy. 18 years, 90% of the time on indys, never ever looked. Amazing. Everything you are all saying about balance on grinds, wheel rub of slides, all as impacted as turning by the design changes. Really eye opening.

I don't think it will change anything, but I have never tried Thunders, and maybe it'd be worth a go to try.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 04:11:49 AM »
Indys are solid, Thunders are twitchy.  Depending on your style, that's the main difference.  Well the world don't move to the beat of just one drum...

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »
So if Indy is surfy and Thunder is twitchy does that mean I can run tighter Thunders and still get enough turn? Been thinking about giving them a try, I've only ridden Indy hi's.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
Dont know, it'll just be a tighter quicker turning truck, i'm running mine tighter than I run indys, that's for sure.  I've noticed i'm getting more wheel bite with the thunders, but i'm still liking them. 

snaked plissken

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »
i used to skate thunders, but i like indy's too much, 149's with bones bushings and its over

ulpsb

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 09:43:48 PM »
after almost driving myself crazy with going back n forth and changing bushings and whatnot... i am back to the indy 139 low. the thunders were to twitchy, was gettin crazy ass wheelsbites, couldnt flip the board and of course why change a good thing? so yes for now my thunders are away in my closet where i cant see them until someone wants to buy them. i never understood what all these people said about riding indys for life and why they are so good... but now i do. ive been skating for 14 years now and ive gone thru them all: venture-orion-mercury-monster-royal-silver-thunder-indy......indys are the best in "my" opinion and i am more of a ledge and manny pad skater that likes to flip the board.  thanks for the help n advice guys......
      ----anthony-----

http://youtu.be/wbgbxg2-odI

http://youtu.be/nkssRrLqeTA

cool spot

• Rep: 28