Author Topic: Mike Mo on DC  (Read 77113 times)

the canadian suit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Mike Mo on DC
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2011, 11:19:01 PM »
It makes sense that DC might be able to take care of their riders better, or secure contracts, etc. However, there should still be some level of respect in skateboarding (Maybe not anymore with the industry so split. Complete class disparity.) The fact that DC has brought up guys like Marquis, Evan Smith, and Wes Kremer is sick to me. But at the same time, them buying Mikey Taylor, Davis Torgerson, Chris Cole, potentially Nyjah, and Mike Mo looks a little suspect. If that makes sense.
p-shuvs and v-flips

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2011, 11:23:51 PM »
Normally i would stay out of a conversation like this... but there are a few things i got to say.

Its one thing to not like a company.. or their riders.. but to be so naive about what is really going on and spreading false info is pretty crazy.

Monty Burns...
Dyrdek has done so much for so many skaters. Not to mention all the consulting he has done for some of YOUR favorite companies. Getting skaters deals that have nothing to do with him, helping young dudes about to make bad decisions make better ones, helping companies with business plans, and even marketing strategies... the list goes on and on. I know you probably can't see through his TV fame.. and the money he's bringing in... he's doing a lot. Fuck.. just the Plaza's alone are enough for you to respect the dude.

Im not going to get into any DC/Mike Mo talk... thats still under speculation.. and if it comes true.. thats for either Mo or DC to release.

However, Have you ever sat back and wondered that maybe companies don't always approach the skater. That maybe the skater approaches the company?? Sure DC may approach people.. but there are MANY folks coming to DC every day trying to get on. And for good reason.

Over the years... when pro shoes were popping up big time... DC always treated the rider with a fair royalty. That means the skater ACTUALLY got paid a decent percent of the shoe that sold with their name on it. Well.. come to find out.. there was A TON of dudes in the shoe world getting ripped the fuck off. Making 3 times LESS than the industry standard. Those dudes are some of YOUR favorite skaters. The companies actually paid them in cents per shoe sold. Thats fucked. Dudes that deserved way more money because of sales... weren't getting it. DC NEVER has ripped off any rider. Ever.

So reading some of you alls statements about DC being lame or wack, or whatever... they take care of their people. And there are alot of guys that want and need to be taken care of. But instead... they sit back and get ripped off.

One example i'll give you... One of the hottest selling shoes right now is a pro who s cool as fuck. He deserves every bit of royalty. But the company he rides for decided to make the identical shoe WITHOUT his name on it. Why? To under cut him? I don't know.. but to me thats fucked. And that is something DC would never even consider. Shit... your probably wearing the shoe right now. lol.

Anyway... There is a lot more than a paycheck when it comes down to riding for DC. Its loyalty. Not only from the skater.. but from the company. And for the dudes who have been cut in the past... well you have to be fucking up for quite a long time, with MANY warnings of getting your shit together before that happens. But at the end of the day... if you can't produce whats asked.. you will get fired. Just like in the real world.

i don't really get this argument. for one, the shoes don't look exactly alike to me

secondly, if they were trying to undercut him, why would they be releasing a mid version of his shoe (in a shitload of colors) and an upcoming velcro-strap version?

i don't think they'd be releasing multiple versions of his pro model if they were really trying to screw him over.

cletus the slack jawed yokel

• Rep: 7
  • big money big cars!
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2011, 11:54:42 PM »
i dig DC thats bad?

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2011, 12:03:47 AM »
side note, those brown/orange janoski's are fake.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -293
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »

HAHA Tate your the shoe master. Respect

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2011, 12:56:26 AM »

Relevant information.

sebastian

• Rep: -16
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2011, 02:11:49 AM »
Respect to DGKalis.

If I was a professional skateboarder and had the chance to make money, and continue doing what I love to do (skateboarding), DC would be a viable option. I mean there are really a few companies I wouldn't consider going on, but as far as I'm concerned, DC is one of the companies that was there when I started skating, and is still there. And it's obvious that every shoe company has some ugly shoes that are only bought by non-skaters, but the slap-forum only chooses to acknowledge DC. It's still a skate shoe company, and if it supports it's riders enough for them to keep staying on or moving to the company, then it can't be bad. Plus you probably get to go chill at the MTN. Lab/ other DC houses which is pretty sick.

If kids come and see you at a demo, no matter if it includes fucking motocross or ice skating, you should just skate. The companies are employing you, and you have to put in some work to keep them satisfied with giving you money for practically nothing (don't tell me you'd quit skating if you weren't paid).

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2011, 03:15:16 AM »
so when is DC gonna rerelease some dc lynx?
also tate and josh, what's the story behind the number 7 and dc?
thanks.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2011, 04:09:33 AM »
they def need to bring back dem dc lynx joints. i wanna get my brian wenning on and switch back tail on benches n shit b.

ayo kalis i know you b readin dis shit. tell dem niggas at dc to chill with the bullshit and bring back the lynx.....and i'll let dat ridiculousness shit with dyrdick slide nahmean.
This is my favorite post today.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2011, 06:30:20 AM »
thanks.

I assume the 7 is because the DC stands for 43, as in Droors 43 clothing. 4+3=7. That is my hypothesis. Perhaps someone can form their own equation and either prove or disprove said hypothesis.
p-shuvs and v-flips

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2011, 06:59:07 AM »
tell dem niggas at dc to chill with the bullshit and bring back the lynx
where is home?

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2011, 06:59:45 AM »
Normally i would stay out of a conversation like this... but there are a few things i got to say.

Its one thing to not like a company.. or their riders.. but to be so naive about what is really going on and spreading false info is pretty crazy.

Monty Burns...
Dyrdek has done so much for so many skaters. Not to mention all the consulting he has done for some of YOUR favorite companies. Getting skaters deals that have nothing to do with him, helping young dudes about to make bad decisions make better ones, helping companies with business plans, and even marketing strategies... the list goes on and on. I know you probably can't see through his TV fame.. and the money he's bringing in... he's doing a lot. Fuck.. just the Plaza's alone are enough for you to respect the dude.

Im not going to get into any DC/Mike Mo talk... thats still under speculation.. and if it comes true.. thats for either Mo or DC to release.

However, Have you ever sat back and wondered that maybe companies don't always approach the skater. That maybe the skater approaches the company?? Sure DC may approach people.. but there are MANY folks coming to DC every day trying to get on. And for good reason.

Over the years... when pro shoes were popping up big time... DC always treated the rider with a fair royalty. That means the skater ACTUALLY got paid a decent percent of the shoe that sold with their name on it. Well.. come to find out.. there was A TON of dudes in the shoe world getting ripped the fuck off. Making 3 times LESS than the industry standard. Those dudes are some of YOUR favorite skaters. The companies actually paid them in cents per shoe sold. Thats fucked. Dudes that deserved way more money because of sales... weren't getting it. DC NEVER has ripped off any rider. Ever.

So reading some of you alls statements about DC being lame or wack, or whatever... they take care of their people. And there are alot of guys that want and need to be taken care of. But instead... they sit back and get ripped off.

One example i'll give you... One of the hottest selling shoes right now is a pro who s cool as fuck. He deserves every bit of royalty. But the company he rides for decided to make the identical shoe WITHOUT his name on it. Why? To under cut him? I don't know.. but to me thats fucked. And that is something DC would never even consider. Shit... your probably wearing the shoe right now. lol.

Anyway... There is a lot more than a paycheck when it comes down to riding for DC. Its loyalty. Not only from the skater.. but from the company. And for the dudes who have been cut in the past... well you have to be fucking up for quite a long time, with MANY warnings of getting your shit together before that happens. But at the end of the day... if you can't produce whats asked.. you will get fired. Just like in the real world.

stefan. haha

asakusa75

« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2011, 07:10:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
...i remember the ryan smith 1.5 being pretty damn good and the gatsbys too. Not gonna lie most dcs last forever believe it or not. Lakais are the shit but sometimes u get your models that fall apart in a week and sometimes u get some that last u a month. Even if Adiddas and Nike are big brands that people regard as sellouts, theres no question they are made at a higher quality than any skate shoe out there
[close]

Adidas and Nike make the best skate shoes out there . They have bigger teams , more experiance , better materials and better everything .

And its kinda funny that DC that started out as a skate shoe brand and still is gets more hate then Adidas and Nike together . DC might sell shit to alot of none skaters . But atleast this allows a budget for parks , contests , bigger and better team and more money for them.

They still have Kalis , his pro shoes have always looked good and Ill always down to give money to that dude
[close]

Have to give your money to DGK, Silver and that sunglasses thing. No more DGKalis pro models.
[close]

Wrong.... My new shoe is done and is so sick!
Taking the shoe game to a new level. I really wish i could leak the photo's.. but i have to wait. Its the best cross between slim/clean toe.. with a cup sole that has the technology to prevent heal bruises. Its real sick.

Psyched . I hate all these fucking boat shoes these days...I will buy some Kalis shoes.

oldgoodburger

« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2011, 07:43:40 AM »
yeah whats up with the Cairo hate?
I would prolly respect DC more if they has always stayed true to skating, after all they started in skating which puts them above nike sb and adidas in that aspect. However I've just seen way too many DC shoes that are clearly aimed towards monster drinking goth/mall kids where atleast nike sb and adidas make pretty quality shoes for skateboarding which is what i'm looking to spend money on and put on my feet. shit i dont even know if my local shop carries DC which puts them outta the question before anything.

FiftyScent

« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2011, 08:17:17 AM »
im sure DC makes most of its money off of mall-shoes but i dont really care. as long as their skateboarding division makes quality product & they take care of their riders im not gonna knock em. i havent worn the shoes in about 4-5 years but i know damn well they take good care of their riders lol

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »
I would prolly respect DC more if they has always stayed true to skating, after all they started in skating which puts them above nike sb and adidas in that aspect. However I've just seen way too many DC shoes that are clearly aimed towards monster drinking goth/mall kids where atleast nike sb and adidas make pretty quality shoes for skateboarding which is what i'm looking to spend money on and put on my feet. shit i dont even know if my local shop carries DC which puts them outta the question before anything.

That's a pretty sad comparison. DC branched OUT of skateboarding. Nike and Adidads branched IN to skateboarding. I've never been a fan of DC's products or aesthetic. But, I will be the first to admit it started in skateboarding and is more of a skateboarding company than your precious Nike and Adidas are. Have fun wearing them shits all the way to Walmart to pick up your future complete.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »
Expand Quote
thanks.
[close]

I assume the 7 is because the DC stands for 43, as in Droors 43 clothing. 4+3=7. That is my hypothesis. Perhaps someone can form their own equation and either prove or disprove said hypothesis.

This is right, im pretty sure.

FiftyScent

« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's a pretty sad comparison. DC branched OUT of skateboarding. Nike and Adidads branched IN to skateboarding. I've never been a fan of DC's products or aesthetic. But, I will be the first to admit it started in skateboarding and is more of a skateboarding company than your precious Nike and Adidas are. Have fun wearing them shits all the way to Walmart to pick up your future complete.

Vans did the same thing many, many years ago. they werent started as a skateboarding company

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:24:19 AM by FiftyScent »

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »
I've just seen way too many DC shoes that are clearly aimed towards monster drinking goth/mall kids where atleast nike sb and adidas make pretty quality shoes for skateboarding

Just want to say that just because DC makes other lines doesn't necessarily mean that they abandoned their skate shoes. Your examples, Nike and Adidas, make plenty of other lines too so it's a little unfair to say they're more focused on skating than DC. I don't keep up on a lot of this stuff, but there's no way that I could imagine Nike and Adidas being more skate-centric than DC.

I mostly skate in Vans and don't give a shit if they make non-skate stuff, as long as I can still get my La Cripta Dos, TnT's, etc., and if any rider wants to move to DC or any other company, that's their choice.

As far as Lakai goes though, the Mike Mo model was one of their better looking shoes and probably one of the only Lakai's I would've bought. Shitty.

Fongstarr

• Rep: -1
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
Janoski's will still sell better then the team editions. And it won't undercut Stefan if he keeps making pro shoes. I think he is due for another one anyways.

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2011, 09:06:57 AM »
I could care less about Mo, but hating on Cairo???  As if I didn't hate sneakerheads enough

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2011, 09:21:22 AM »
Nike has made Team Editions for years and this is just the 3rd model. Why would anybody think that it was an intentional move to hurt a team rider? The low top, thin vulc shoes are still popular so Nike is trying to make another shoe that will sell well. They're not trying to make something that will cannibalize their own product. If they really wanted to scrub Janoski's royalties from a shoe (which I'm assuming aren't a ton anyway) they'd do it by cutting his percentage down, not competing with their own product.

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »
Fuck NSB.orgs 'skateboarding journalism'. Stick to dunk colour ways.

era

« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
Nike has made Team Editions for years and this is just the 3rd model. Why would anybody think that it was an intentional move to hurt a team rider? The low top, thin vulc shoes are still popular so Nike is trying to make another shoe that will sell well. They're not trying to make something that will cannibalize their own product. If they really wanted to scrub Janoski's royalties from a shoe (which I'm assuming aren't a ton anyway) they'd do it by cutting his percentage down, not competing with their own product.

Just a guess... but coming from a professionals "mouth" who has had a much better chance then any of us to actually have a conversation with said pro in person, might be some validity to it.  But then again there has been no actual proof its Janoski so who knows!

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2011, 01:53:35 PM »
BRING BACK DA LYNX!  :'(

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »
i think everyone should stop to really appreciate that someone made a slap account based on a guy from a blog based on a famous rapper.

I love that blog, too.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2011, 02:48:10 PM »
if kalis says its gonna be some good shit, then i am looking forward to his shoe. i just hope it has a really, really small, maybe removable DC-logo.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
if kalis says its gonna be some good shit, then i am looking forward to his shoe. i just hope it has a really, really small, maybe removable DC-logo.

Meh ,its weird just having  made the wrong impression of one of your favourit skaters . Kinda hope Kalis knows what I mean and I ment it not in a negative way .

Ive bought kalis boards and shoes since way back . And Im sure Ill buy his new Pro Model shoe too

Captain Krooks

• Rep: 0
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »
Super stoked that he gets to release another one. I'm not really feeling many of the shoes that are out. Kalis's Pro Models have always been on point.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Meh ,its weird just having� made the wrong impression of one of your favourit skaters . Kinda hope Kalis knows what I mean and I ment it not in a negative way .

Ive bought kalis boards and shoes since way back . And Im sure Ill buy his new Pro Model shoe too

Im not offended at all... Don't worry about that shit!! We're only talking shit over here!! lol.
Little debate style. Shit.. it can be spooky throwing my two cents on the net.

But i understand where your coming from... trust me. There is shit cracking off in the skate world that makes 0 sense to me too. Actually upsets me to the point where i will hate on some shit. Its a fucked up time out there right now. We need Kelch, Sanch, Clyde, the old Bird, and a few others to step in and be like..... "WAIT A FUCKING SECOND!!!!!!" lol.