Author Topic: Mike Mo on DC  (Read 77359 times)

waltercronkite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
Re: Mike Mo on DC
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
i saw mike mo's lakai shoe with all the other lakai shoes at bobs and kohls stores not exactly core take it for what it is everyones trying to make a buck these days who gives a fuck

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if kalis says its gonna be some good shit, then i am looking forward to his shoe. i just hope it has a really, really small, maybe removable DC-logo.
[close]

Meh ,its weird just having� made the wrong impression of one of your favourit skaters . Kinda hope Kalis knows what I mean and I ment it not in a negative way .

Ive bought kalis boards and shoes since way back . And Im sure Ill buy his new Pro Model shoe too
[close]

Im not offended at all... Don't worry about that shit!! We're only talking shit over here!! lol.
Little debate style. Shit.. it can be spooky throwing my two cents on the net.

But i understand where your coming from... trust me. There is shit cracking off in the skate world that makes 0 sense to me too. Actually upsets me to the point where i will hate on some shit. Its a fucked up time out there right now. We need Kelch, Sanch, Clyde, the old Bird, and a few others to step in and be like..... "WAIT A FUCKING SECOND!!!!!!" lol.

its like you said a weird period in skate . i totaly under stand skater needing money , but then again its not really what I have grown up in skating . In some ways I kinda think we are suposed to be the broke ones , or just scarping by .

I totaly understand gettnig money . But in so many ways , working the way I work and in the industry I work ( not skateboarding ) I see knowledge , style and working in the right place is more important then money .

Anyways Half the time I dont make sence anyways , Get dyrdek to sign up here , he would be a awsome poster

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2011, 10:10:26 PM »
the stevie williams was the second skate shoe i ever had and i had the lynx a couple times before they discontinued them. by the way, WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING? DC had a surefire classic and just decided to scrap it? it would be like if vans got rid of the old school; nike/the dunk; addidas/the campus; etc. thats some weird decision making.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2011, 12:59:49 AM »
the stevie williams was the second skate shoe i ever had and i had the lynx a couple times before they discontinued them. by the way, WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING? DC had a surefire classic and just decided to scrap it? it would be like if vans got rid of the old school; nike/the dunk; addidas/the campus; etc. thats some weird decision making.

Actual skaters are a small portion of their sales. All the other shoes you mention are popular with non-skaters--that's where the money is.

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2011, 01:01:13 AM »
I don't get the DC hate. I really don't. They have moto-x and snowboarding teams and so on. But so do Nike, Vans and a whole lot of other skate-shoe related companies out there that people consider 'core'. They are no different from DC in any way. Every single company out there puts out batshit ugly shoes too. It doesn't matter - as long as they come correct in their skateboard department. You have to make money to give back money, and if you can make money off the mall-kids and give them back to skateboarders im fine with that.

In my country, DC is one of the only brands actually having a national team. They make money here, so they give back. They have 12 team riders and do tours and everything. They give shit back to the skateboarders. Vans make crazy money here as well, but they don't have a team? They don't even sponsor events or parks. DC does that a lot. I have nothing but respect for giving back to skateboarding and skateboarders. Hell, they even hook me up just for shooting photos and helping out every now and then, almost no other skateboard brand around here wants to throw money after such things. I have been skating nothing but DC's for the last couple of years, and I have been really satisfied with it. The Match, Landau, Tonik and the rest of the skateboard line is quality shoes.

And yes, bring back the Lynx! I have 2 pairs sitting in my closet, and I rock them every now and then. Don't want to wear them out, but I just get a kick out of rocking them. I fucking wish I could buy new pairs so I couldt be able to skate at least one of them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:04:26 AM by RoedGroed »

Flipkick

• Rep: -16
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2011, 01:22:56 AM »

you guys dont know what you're talking 'bout. try these

just by G-codes and skate like a BAWS

LooseTrux

• Rep: 1
  • Landing primo since 1995
    • ALL THINGS FUNKY avatar image
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2011, 05:12:27 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't get the DC hate. I really don't. They have moto-x and snowboarding teams and so on.
[close]

There's one of the reasons. Buy Emerica, even though they are under Sole Tech they are the ultimate shoe company.

You are aware that Soletech includes the 32 snowboarding brand...aren't you?

My facts are hazy but didn't they essentially grow outwardly in the same manner as DC? They've just broken things up into different brands under the same umbrella- skate/apparel/snow instead of keeping one label? The hatred is quite comical when you think about it.
I mainly skate eS as it is, and after seeing those dudes get fucked over, if you hear someone like Kalis saying that there are actually brands that take care of their people, it's hard to be that negative.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:20:23 AM by LooseTrux »

RoedGroed

« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2011, 05:30:49 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't get the DC hate. I really don't. They have moto-x and snowboarding teams and so on.
[close]

There's one of the reasons. Buy Emerica, even though they are under Sole Tech they are the ultimate shoe company.

The Lynx were a great shoe, but I'd never buy DCs in this day and age.

I know! Standing alone, that quote of mine is so bad haha! But, my point is, how can people call Vans, Nike and so on 'core' when they are doing the same thing. Im not backing moto-x at all, but either way a lot of the 'core' brands are doing it as well without getting any trouble for it.

I know Emerica isn't sponsoring moto-x and so on, but as you said they are under Soletech. Soletech has snowboard and BMX brands as well. Even Etnies has a snowboard and bmx team. But yeah, I understand your point, I just think its strange with DC getting all the hate, while the other companies seems to get away with it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:32:37 AM by RoedGroed »

BarcelonaCEO

• Rep: -24
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2011, 05:43:42 AM »
DC kicked out Ryan Smith. Never forget.

RoedGroed

« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2011, 06:47:23 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You are aware that Soletech includes the 32 snowboarding brand...aren't you?

My facts are hazy but didn't they essentially grow outwardly in the same manner as DC? They've just broken things up into different brands under the same umbrella- skate/apparel/snow instead of keeping one label? The hatred is quite comical when you think about it.
I mainly skate eS as it is, and after seeing those dudes get fucked over, if you hear someone like Kalis saying that there are actually brands that take care of their people, it's hard to be that negative.
[close]

I sure am, that's why I mentioned the Sole Tech thing... It'd be sick if Emerica was just on their own. I back them, a lot to do with their ass kicking team.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The Lynx were a great shoe, but I'd never buy DCs in this day and age.
[close]

I know! Standing alone, that quote of mine is so bad haha! But, my point is, how can people call Vans, Nike and so on 'core' when they are doing the same thing. Im not backing moto-x at all, but either way a lot of the 'core' brands are doing it as well without getting any trouble for it.

I know Emerica isn't sponsoring moto-x and so on, but as you said they are under Soletech. Soletech has snowboard and BMX brands as well. Even Etnies has a snowboard and bmx team. But yeah, I understand your point, I just think its strange with DC getting all the hate, while the other companies seems to get away with it.
[close]

Yeah, for sure. I never wear Vans but you're right with people's attitudes towards them. Really there's probably the same amount, if not more, people wearing Vans who don't skate compared to DC. D

I just don't think DC will ever be what they were in like early 2000s. They were actually my very first descent shoe and they skated pretty well, plus they released a video a few years later(AVE 's part!). What are they doing now? Lots of ads with all these power moves but are they actually filming for a video or anything? Even with their team now I don't think many people care.

No, unfortunatly not. Nothing will be like it was in the early 2000's. Or the 90's. Yet everybody wants to go back. I want to go back, because to me it seemed more pure and real back then, probably because I was younger and didn't know or care about any of the business stuff. I was raised on The DC Video, and almost every part was legit in that video. They seemed like a team who actually new each other. That video had a good overall feel to it.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2011, 08:23:39 AM »
Nike has made Team Editions for years and this is just the 3rd model. Why would anybody think that it was an intentional move to hurt a team rider? The low top, thin vulc shoes are still popular so Nike is trying to make another shoe that will sell well. They're not trying to make something that will cannibalize their own product. If they really wanted to scrub Janoski's royalties from a shoe (which I'm assuming aren't a ton anyway) they'd do it by cutting his percentage down, not competing with their own product.

Ha - we're talking about Nike - they know how to get those hooks in deep. Sure they can make a Stefan Mid, Velcro, Etc - but if the company can make/market BASICALLY the same shoe - AND not have to pay the royalty to Stefan - why wouldn't they do it? This is just pure business sense - reaping the most profit from a tried and true product that sells.

The old team edition's sucked - the ones that looked like the Osiris D3's. Nike figured, Stefan's shoe sells so well - just copy it and give it another name and modify the design slightly. You gotta realize these are also for people who can't pay the extra money for a Janoski - I'd bet the price difference between the Janoski and the Team Edition would be around $30 or $40 - something in that range. Sometimes that's all the price break you need to turn a customer away. You know how cheap vans are - that customer would probably go for something like a Chukka low for $50 - now Nike can take that market share with the Team Edition. I haven't skated a pair - but If they skate like Janoski and can hook a young kid up - there's a silver lining, right?

and I would have to bet - Janoski gets some sick royalty check in the mail each month. You don't think Johnny Layton doesn't get one each month for his Jay Lay's in Zumies or Pac Sun? Sure he does. As to percentages on each shoe, who knows - but the sales seem pretty powerful. You know what I mean - you see everyone on the scene with Janoski's.

I'll put it to you like this - When those awful bombings / Shootings went off in Oslo back in July - I was looking at the photos on a UK site, and a dude is rocking the Janoski's right in the middle of the carnage.

I don't know if I did the image right - scroll down to the RED EMT Guys with the guy in the Tan Jacket.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2017709/Anders-Behring-Breivik-arrested-holiday-island-massacre.html

My two Cents...

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »
thats it, i?ll never buy nike again.

aalmazan

• Rep: -2
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »
haha notice how theres nikes, adiadas, and cons in that picture

Marty Mcfly

• Rep: 40
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2011, 09:24:27 AM »
And the EMT guy is probably wearing wolverines. Can anyone clarify?

Pro Baby Yeah!

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2011, 10:08:47 AM »
(Can't quote on my phone)To the dc employee a few posts back. No one that has any sense has ever called vans, adidas, or nike core companies. Don't make shit up.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
everything is just perception. its all just shoe companies trying to make the most money they can while often helping skateboarders along the way. at the end of the day you just need to support your local shop and the board companies you believe in

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=53309.msg1547399#msg1547399 date=1319124219
Expand Quote
Nike has made Team Editions for years and this is just the 3rd model. Why would anybody think that it was an intentional move to hurt a team rider? The low top, thin vulc shoes are still popular so Nike is trying to make another shoe that will sell well. They're not trying to make something that will cannibalize their own product. If they really wanted to scrub Janoski's royalties from a shoe (which I'm assuming aren't a ton anyway) they'd do it by cutting his percentage down, not competing with their own product.
[close]

Ha - we're talking about Nike - they know how to get those hooks in deep. Sure they can make a Stefan Mid, Velcro, Etc - but if the company can make/market BASICALLY the same shoe - AND not have to pay the royalty to Stefan - why wouldn't they do it? This is just pure business sense - reaping the most profit from a tried and true product that sells.

The old team edition's sucked - the ones that looked like the Osiris D3's. Nike figured, Stefan's shoe sells so well - just copy it and give it another name and modify the design slightly. You gotta realize these are also for people who can't pay the extra money for a Janoski - I'd bet the price difference between the Janoski and the Team Edition would be around $30 or $40 - something in that range. Sometimes that's all the price break you need to turn a customer away. You know how cheap vans are - that customer would probably go for something like a Chukka low for $50 - now Nike can take that market share with the Team Edition. I haven't skated a pair - but If they skate like Janoski and can hook a young kid up - there's a silver lining, right?

and I would have to bet - Janoski gets some sick royalty check in the mail each month. You don't think Johnny Layton doesn't get one each month for his Jay Lay's in Zumies or Pac Sun? Sure he does. As to percentages on each shoe, who knows - but the sales seem pretty powerful. You know what I mean - you see everyone on the scene with Janoski's.

I'll put it to you like this - When those awful bombings / Shootings went off in Oslo back in July - I was looking at the photos on a UK site, and a dude is rocking the Janoski's right in the middle of the carnage.

I don't know if I did the image right - scroll down to the RED EMT Guys with the guy in the Tan Jacket.

My two Cents...

The team edition shoe definitely won't be a 30-40$ price difference from the Janoski shoe. At that point Nike would be dipping into it's retail price, and the differential between the loss of sale and the amount paid to Stefan for royalties would be way the fuck off. If you think his royalty-per-shoe is set about 10 dollars, you're delusional. What I said was the intention of the Team Edition isn't to take royalties away from Stefan. It's because they said "Hey, a low-top, thin vulc shoe is making a lot of money. Let's make another one and see how it does." Team Editions are also not a permanent shoe. They release a few colorways and they dead them. If they honestly wanted to cut Stefan's royalties, they would just do it at the source, rather than risking the revenue on a shoe run that would  compete with itself.

I never said I didn't think Johnny Layton doesn't get royalties for his shoe. Every skateboarder with their name on a shoe should get a royalty check for merchandise sold, and if you don't, you negotiated your shit wrong. - http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2011/08/11/nate-sherwood-vs-airspeed-footwear-a-cautionary-tale/

I see people wearing different pro model skate shoes in different photographs all the time. Because you picked out a pair of Janoski's in a news photo means they're a mass marketed shoe? The point you're making is that - someone was wearing a pair on Janoski's? That's great.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2011, 11:13:32 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=53309.msg1547399#msg1547399 date=1319124219
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

My two Cents...
[close]

The team edition shoe definitely won't be a 30-40$ price difference from the Janoski shoe. At that point Nike would be dipping into it's retail price, and the differential between the loss of sale and the amount paid to Stefan for royalties would be way the fuck off. If you think his royalty-per-shoe is set about 10 dollars, you're delusional. What I said was the intention of the Team Edition isn't to take royalties away from Stefan. It's because they said "Hey, a low-top, thin vulc shoe is making a lot of money. Let's make another one and see how it does." Team Editions are also not a permanent shoe. They release a few colorways and they dead them. If they honestly wanted to cut Stefan's royalties, they would just do it at the source, rather than risking the revenue on a shoe run that would  compete with itself.

I never said I didn't think Johnny Layton doesn't get royalties for his shoe. Every skateboarder with their name on a shoe should get a royalty check for merchandise sold, and if you don't, you negotiated your shit wrong. - http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2011/08/11/nate-sherwood-vs-airspeed-footwear-a-cautionary-tale/

I see people wearing different pro model skate shoes in different photographs all the time. Because you picked out a pair of Janoski's in a news photo means they're a mass marketed shoe? The point you're making is that - someone was wearing a pair on Janoski's? That's great.

Nice Article - too bad for Nate, he seems like a nice guy.

So how much of a price point do you think the Team Edition would be compared to the Janoski?

I never said he was getting $10 bucks on every shoe - I said I didn't know the percentages. 

I think we're on the same page here when you said:
"Hey, a low-top, thin vulc shoe is making a lot of money. Let's make another one and see how it does." 

And I Said:
"Nike figured, Stefan's shoe sells so well - just copy it and give it another name and modify the design slightly. "

I don't think Nike has to cut Stefan's Revenue - but I think they are emulating the success with another shoe, basically. Time will tell how successful the team edition will be. Didn't realize they were only made for a certain amount of time, then scrapped - do you know why that is?

The point I was making with the Photo was more or less Globalization. What's somewhere - is everywhere now - hence the popularity can grow. So even in the midst of this terrible event - my eye can't help but be drawn to a guy wearing Janoski's. I just think it's cool Stefan designed a shoe that became globally recognized and embraced.

Let me just ask you this: Do you think this guy skates in the photo with the Janoski's on?

Take Care, Donkey Lips.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2011, 11:29:24 AM »
Do I think that guy in the picture skate? Probably. I wouldn't know if he didn't.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 534
« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2011, 06:38:04 PM »

There is WAY more to that story... lol. Wenning and Smith basically went through the same shit. It was a two year ordeal... so no. Neither dude "really" got kicked off... they actually made their own choices.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
I wonder when DC is gonna boot Greg Myers.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2011, 08:33:45 PM »
They already did. Him and Ryan Smith left at the same time. I'm not really a fan of Greg Myers but I thought he would blow the fuck up after his skateboarding is forever part. Seems like his whole career has been him just trying to come up.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:38:43 PM by BraveUlysses »

DGKALIS

« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They already did. Him and Ryan Smith left at the same time.

Naw.... Smith was at least a year before Greg.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #173 on: October 20, 2011, 08:42:46 PM »
Damn, well I'm still surprised Greg isn't hooked up properly, his skating is pretty damn good.

Gil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2011, 08:01:21 AM »
Damn, well I'm still surprised Greg isn't hooked up properly, his skating is pretty damn good.
But that style...
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

Stoop Kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
  • Fuck hipsters.
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2011, 08:23:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is WAY more to that story... lol. Wenning and Smith basically went through the same shit. It was a two year ordeal... so no. Neither dude "really" got kicked off... they actually made their own choices.

Wasn't Smith hurt and unable to skate for a while due to an accident? Did that have anything to do with him getting kicked off? Or let go? or whatever you want to call it.

LemonParty

• Rep: -112
« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2011, 09:45:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wasn't Smith hurt and unable to skate for a while due to an accident? Did that have anything to do with him getting kicked off? Or let go? or whatever you want to call it.

yeah thats the story that I got. He got right fucked from some car accident or something that put him out for over a year (might have been a bad skate injury) and dc kicked him off instead of having his back. The story i got from wenning is that he just wasnt putting out any ads/footage and he got dropped due to being lazy (which I understand).

I can back a company that boots riders that never put footage/ads out, but I cant back a company that kicks its riders off if they get a bad injury (which in the nature of skateboarding, can happen to pretty much anyone at almost anytime)

DGKALIS

« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2011, 10:08:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah thats the story that I got. He got right fucked from some car accident or something that put him out for over a year (might have been a bad skate injury) and dc kicked him off instead of having his back. The story i got from wenning is that he just wasnt putting out any ads/footage and he got dropped due to being lazy (which I understand).

I can back a company that boots riders that never put footage/ads out, but I cant back a company that kicks its riders off if they get a bad injury (which in the nature of skateboarding, can happen to pretty much anyone at almost anytime)

Thats not what happened.
Dude had some serious demons he was trying to control for a while. He was about to get let go after a couple years of warnings. Then he had an unfortunate event.. witch led to him driving drunk and almost died when he crashed his bike on the freeway.
He got resigned with DC so he could have the help he needed to recover and try to get back where he needed to be.

Fortunately he recovered... and started skating. But after some time, he kept resorting back to the problems that eventually got him kicked off.

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2011, 10:20:05 AM »
having DGKALIS posting on slap is the best thing ever.  You just drops knowledge on all on the bunk rumors going around!
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

LemonParty

• Rep: -112
« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »
having DGKALIS posting on slap is the best thing ever.  You just drops knowledge on all on the bunk rumors going around!

yeah for sure. thanks for clearing that up kalis. Theres tons of skate rumors being thrown around all the time and seems like people never get the real version.