Author Topic: HD & SD footage Debates  (Read 9531 times)

wheremykillahtapeat?

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
HD & SD footage Debates
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:49:35 PM »

or

and why?

nylin

Re: HD & SD footage Debates
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:19:52 AM »
VX1000 is the best because the colors are great, the sound is awesome, and in the right hands it can be unfuckwithable. I hate HD because the sound is weird, it always seems shaky to me, dont like the bland colors, the fisheye looks strange, and overall i think its just too much.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:42:29 AM »
I recently spent a fuck ton of cash on an HD television. Ever since then I've been infatuated with watching things in HD.

There's my two cents
ableSkateMag.com

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:11:26 AM »
people who say HD is gay need to shut the fuck up and get with the times, and as for "the colours look better on vx1000" thats just absolute shit. the colours used on HD are more true to life.

its like VX1000 and that kinda footage is walking around looking at stuff with some smudgy glasses on and HD is walking around with 20/20 vision on a clear blue day.

i just dont understand the hate for HD, watching jimmy carlins colour thoery part on a 52inch HD tv is fucking amazing, however watching flip sorry on VHS on the same TV is painfull because it gets stretched and looks grainy

that bieng said i have nothing against vx footage but times are moving on and weve all gotta just deal with it
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:49:53 AM by finknoos »

Vianouz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:12:50 AM »
VX1000 is the best because the colors are great, the sound is awesome, and in the right hands it can be unfuckwithable. I hate HD because the sound is weird, it always seems shaky to me, dont like the bland colors, the fisheye looks strange, and overall i think its just too much.
You said it all

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:30:11 AM »
HD can look good, but only a few people have yet managed to do so.

lenny

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:38:37 AM »
Having recently acquired a sony ex1r (the sony version of the hvx-200), I am pretty much obligated to back HD format.. That said, I've loved the vx1 since the first time I saw one as a kid. The vx1 is the workhorse of the skate industry, and has been since the dawn of the 3ccd era. The colors are great, it's durable, light, and the mk1 fisheye is perfect for capturing skateboarding.
Like it or not though, HD/solidstate card cams are the the future, yes it's way less forgiving on focus, shutter, WB, and everything else associated with the Human controlled aspects of filming.
But, not having to worry about buying tapes every day, glitching, capture time, and all the pain in the ass shit that goes along with DV tapes is awesome. when i'm filming, and the last try isn't a make, i hit one button and it's deleted. And when you learn how to actually set the camera correctly, the colors are fucking amazing.
Either way, both mediums are great for capturing dudes flipping wood around. so.. yeah.    

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:49:42 AM »
Yes. Debacle and that Element Eurovideo were good. Just the technology without 'overediting' and gay-shots inbetween aren't that bad
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 03:40:22 AM »
I was about to say that, if it is filmed and edited (like the Carlin Color theory thing) it is pretty cool,.. I am a sucker for my VX but once people lay off the hollywood filming Dolly shot super slomo sundown bullshit it should be cool.

Home Skillet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 05:26:26 AM »
I like both HD & SD, it's the overuse of the depth of field that I can't stand.  Slow mo is cool if done right and the dolly shots should have stopped after the Lakai vid. 

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2221
  • computer says no
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 05:45:48 AM »
I love HD shit... from watching to editing, love SD as well, but it looks like shit on most of the stuff I'd have to play it on.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:59:15 AM »
HD just doesn't seem to capture the speed right. Anyone else notice this? It seems like it's slowed down or just doesn't look right to me.

VX1000 is definitely still king until someone fixes this.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 06:37:31 AM »
HD's superior, bar (as stated) shit editing/gimmicks/trying to be either super hi-fi or super artsy, and fisheye with 16:9 aspect ratio. One's the fault of those filming/editing, one isn't. Hell, I love skating on film more than either option, but that's a bit more prohibitive a format, obviously.

spare change

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:43:50 AM »
I enjoy both formats but if you have a nice tv ,(I have a bigger led one) hd looks amazing.

mattyc

• Rep: -6
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 07:36:19 AM »
HD just doesn't seem to capture the speed right. Anyone else notice this? It seems like it's slowed down or just doesn't look right to me.

VX1000 is definitely still king until someone fixes this.

A lot of the HD stuff is shot at 24 (technically 23.98) progressive frames per second, so the motion looks slightly stuttered like film.  VX1000 shoots at 30 interlaced frames per second (technically 29.97).  Each interlaced frame is made up of 2 (interlaced) fields...a bottom filed and a top field.  There are 480 lines of horizontal resolution on a nonHD tv and each line alternates feilds upper lower upper lower.  The TV shows the image it writes all of the bottom fields then the top fields.  This makes motion look really smooth.

Furthermore you'll see more Slomo stuff in HD.  VX footage looks bad in slomo because at best all an editing program can do is try to blend frames to create the new frames necessary to slomo a clip.  All the cameras  that people are using now can shoot twice the normal frames per second giving you a really smooth crisp looking slomo.
-mattyc

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 07:41:07 AM »

The recent Strobeck Quiksilver clips are good example for great HD filming.

loch ness mobster

• Rep: -4
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 08:28:44 AM »
not sure if this has been metioned, im not about to read through all th post to find out though.

i really liked what real did (at least what i thought they did) useing both, the vx for lines and general skating, and then hd for segway, slowmo' and cool shit. they didn't over use any of it. and the end result was awsome.

mind you i've only watched it on my friends small shit tv so so im probally not the best judge of this

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 08:34:43 AM »
not sure if this has been metioned, im not about to read through all th post to find out though.

i really liked what real did (at least what i thought they did) useing both, the vx for lines and general skating, and then hd for segway, slowmo' and cool shit. they didn't over use any of it. and the end result was awsome.

mind you i've only watched it on my friends small shit tv so so im probally not the best judge of this

okay...

firstly get used to reading, one page of posts is not hard to read through

also the "multi format" thing that went on in the real video pissed off everyone at the premier i went to by switching between widescreen and regular format, realy hard on the eyes, would have looked allright if they were both in the same scale, but they wernt and it looked awkward and messy

polyethylene

• Rep: -3
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 08:59:53 AM »
yeah you arent

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »
Yep. Debacle, the Dylan part, the Cliche video, and the Real video are all great examples of this. Those mystery parts are hard on the eyes to watch. I liked the way the MIA video transitioned between HD and VX footage.

Also, everyone who's bitching about 'Since Day One' being in both HD and SD needs to get a real fucking problem. Bunch of bitches.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 10:44:16 AM »
Only reason why I have a problem with SD more is cause I have a HD TV and even my iMac displays SD horribly where it hurts my eyes. I can't see what the big deal is with hating on HD unless you still have a tube TV still.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

tre killa

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »
vhs is where iz at.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »
Pretty much everyone filming SD is using a VX, maybe there's a few stragglers with panasonics I don't know.
A new HD camcorder or hdslr comes out every few months and everyone's on different wavelengths. It can look shitty if the frame rates not quite right or they don't have a rig that lets them film smoothly, but when HD is done right I don't think there's any question that it's leagues better. There's just more technical shit to worry about, people are only going to get better at filming with them and I'm sure everyone will be converted in no time.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »

G.Lewis

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 01:49:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes. Debacle and that Element Eurovideo were good. Just the technology without 'overediting' and gay-shots inbetween aren't that bad

I concur with this assessment.

ruiner2

• Rep: -25
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 03:13:35 PM »
bring back hi8 or maybe vhs-c.
seriously though you guys are idiots for debating this to death, in another year or two sd will be history and people here will be complaining about the next thing.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1501
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 10:01:17 PM »
HD and SD video is shit.  Everything should be shot on 16mm film like The End.  Why the fuck does everything have to be so fucking gay?  You know what is gay?  Watching two dudes fucking each other.  Everything else isn't really that gay.  Unless it's a three or more guys daisy chain fucking each other.  Then, that's fucking gayer.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 10:04:38 PM »
HD just looks weird.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 03:35:20 AM »
 the only thing i really really miss is the sound of skating because the microphones on a vx1000 produce a classic sound. other mics just sound different. its not bad but its not great.

i think its probably more important to consider what you want your video to say about you and your shop/company before deciding a format because right now it looks like people are just blindly following trends because they see big companies doing it before asking themselves if its really that necessary. i dont think the majority of the people buying HD stuff really need it to get their point across or to show their skating. a simple digital video capturing device with good sound quality would be better. hd or not.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:15:17 AM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 06:46:03 AM »
I agree with much of what you said regarding HD, but it can look super good in the right hands.  However, I think a lot of the HD hate is the skaters natural fear of change, and also rationalizing why one still uses a camera thats over fifteen years old.  The VX does "get great colors" as people fucking LOVE to say, but most filmers these days set their colors when they film, or do it in post, so that makes the whole "great color" thing irrelevant because you can make a clip have whatever "colors" you want.  And for the most part, that effect is achieved by white-balancing on light blue, which just makes everything golden, not really natural at all.

I like the sound a VX gets the best.  Awesome clarity on ollie snapping, rolling wheels, metal on metal sounds, etc.

I love the VX1000, but if you want to work as a skateboarder filmer, you better upgrade.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok