Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 126378 times)

h00man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1110 on: May 20, 2019, 11:27:54 AM »
Final season was rushed, but overall not understanding all the hate for it.

Glad they ended it the way they did...except for some questions but whatever
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #1111 on: May 20, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »
Note: Arya died on the way west of Westeros

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #1112 on: May 21, 2019, 08:04:53 AM »
I have seen 3 episodes of this show, so I really don't care much. The only thing I cared about is davos surviving because he is cute.

slippy

• Rep: 83
« Reply #1113 on: May 21, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
I have seen 3 episodes of this show, so I really don't care much. The only thing I cared about is davos surviving because he is cute.

What was the point of this
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #1114 on: May 21, 2019, 10:47:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1115 on: May 21, 2019, 04:20:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I think its way more frustrating how much they're changing dany so drastically with like 3 eps to go, She has been this "just ruler" and now she's being a baby.
[close]

I agree and disagree with this. I agree that the psycho switch with this episode did flip too fast. But bear in mind, she’s been a cold-hearted conqueror since a few episodes in. She burned a woman alive for cursing her rapist horde-leading husband. She left a subject to starve to death in a vault in Qarth for a betrayal she was coerced into. She colonized multiple foreign societies to fight battles she never raised a sword in.

She’s whined and complained about not getting her due since just about day one. We, and the characters in the show, have justified her behavior as doing the ugly work that needs to be done to do the job, like her killing of Sam’s father and brother, but really, it’s arguably equally evil.

On one side of the story, she freed a city of slave soldiers. On the other side, she took a generation of slaves to fight a foreign war they had no business in, as anyone who might have purchased the slaves would have done as well. It’s all relative to the storytellers. On the one hand, Robert freed the country of a murderous tyrant. On the other, he falsified a story about his ex-girlfriend to start a war. On one hand, Aegon Targaryen united the seven kingdoms. On the other, he burned Harrenhal, a small King’s Landing of its own, to ashes.

Again, I agree this last switch felt fast, but there have been hints about it since the beginning.

I’m glad this season went there after the Knight King disappointment. It’s back on track for catching you off-guard and making the harder calls.

you nailed it man. i think a lot of viewers formed false narratives and forgot about development that occurred earlier in the series

i do agree danys transition may have seemed a little rushed but it doesn't necessarily need to be drawn out too much. all it takes to drive a person over the edge is a single moment. and if you think about it.. there's already is a steady narrative of her world kind of crumbling apart since season one.

the death of Viserys, losing her husband and child, banishing jorah, losing ser selmy, having to leave daario behind, losing viserion, losing jorah again, losing missandei.

then finally the threat of her lovers stronger claim to her birthright

combine that with her impulsiveness/lack of empathy and I think you have a pretty consistent build up to a breaking point.

sure there is still plenty to criticize but overall i think the story was lead to it's natural conclusion.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:49:53 PM by redcurb12 »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1116 on: May 21, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »
I wanted to know "WHAT ABOUT THE REEDS?" and "WHO THE FUCK WAS VARYS SENDING THOSE LETTERS ABOUT JON'S TRUE LINEAGE TO?"

But mostly I wanted to know about the Reeds. The story of the Crannogmen seemed cool.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1117 on: September 11, 2022, 01:45:09 PM »
Decided to pay for hbo max this month and am just now watching this for the first time, im a little bummed at how slow everything moves like the wedding massacre and blackwater battle.  I dig how certain paths cross with characters…was digging the assassin arryn met while a server

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #1118 on: September 11, 2022, 05:57:11 PM »
Everything goes much faster after season three. Spoiler: people will be doing what should be 3 years worth of travelling around the planet in one episode.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1119 on: September 19, 2022, 01:57:32 PM »
Everything goes much faster after season three. Spoiler: people will be doing what should be 3 years worth of travelling around the planet in one episode.

I binged the whole thing in the last week and finished it over the weekend.  Definite props to Arrya and the assassin creed, that arc was probably my favorite, climatic battle with the demon dragon was good.   Still thought it moved too slow even at the ending battle.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1120 on: September 19, 2022, 08:36:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I binged the whole thing in the last week and finished it over the weekend.  Definite props to Arrya and the assassin creed, that arc was probably my favorite, climatic battle with the demon dragon was good.   Still thought it moved too slow even at the ending battle.
Don't read the books then. It's pretty realistic in how slowly shit would really happen if the fastest mode of travel is horse. The new show house of the dragon is actually pretty fast each episode has pretty big time jumps but it's also much smaller in scale (at least so far) only really like a dozen characters.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1121 on: September 20, 2022, 01:50:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Don't read the books then. It's pretty realistic in how slowly shit would really happen if the fastest mode of travel is horse. The new show house of the dragon is actually pretty fast each episode has pretty big time jumps but it's also much smaller in scale (at least so far) only really like a dozen characters.
probably won't I hardly get into the fantasy novels if i like the show or movie. started house of dragon too, actually am enjoying it soo far, it does move faster.  I dig all the dragon CG

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1122 on: September 20, 2022, 03:30:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
probably won't I hardly get into the fantasy novels if i like the show or movie. started house of dragon too, actually am enjoying it soo far, it does move faster.  I dig all the dragon CG

I'm actually liking House of the Dragons a lot more than I thought I would. They probably learned their lesson with Game of Thrones and decided to keep the characters to a minimum as to not overwhelm the viewer. Is it just me or are the dragons much larger in this series?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1123 on: September 20, 2022, 11:00:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

I'm actually liking House of the Dragons a lot more than I thought I would. They probably learned their lesson with Game of Thrones and decided to keep the characters to a minimum as to not overwhelm the viewer. Is it just me or are the dragons much larger in this series?
Game of thrones basically was fucked with characters, compared to the books it's seriously about 8%. It felt like they just kept the absolute minimum for stuff to still make sense and even then it failed at times.
As far as dragon size think that's part of the lore. The dragons getting smaller (and even extinct for a period) between this and the start of g.o.t. Daenerys dragons were also only a couple years old by the end of g.o.t. so maybe they keep getting bigger for however long they live

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #1124 on: September 21, 2022, 06:31:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Game of thrones basically was fucked with characters, compared to the books it's seriously about 8%. It felt like they just kept the absolute minimum for stuff to still make sense and even then it failed at times.
As far as dragon size think that's part of the lore. The dragons getting smaller (and even extinct for a period) between this and the start of g.o.t. Daenerys dragons were also only a couple years old by the end of g.o.t. so maybe they keep getting bigger for however long they live
I vaguely remember the scene from GOT where they explain this, may have been Varys saying that by the time they went extinct, dragons were the size of cats.  Haven't started the new show yet, but looking forward to it.

Get hungry on it!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1125 on: September 26, 2022, 05:27:54 AM »
house of dragons is so good... we are also watching LOTR and it really shows how important getting the characters, dialog, costumes, sets right is. after first few LOTRs which were pretty awesome it feels like it's digressed into a star trek vibe while HOD is super gritty. with LOTR i'm constantly thinking, "i wish some action would happen" but HOD has very little action but is super exciting and interesting for us to watch.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1126 on: September 26, 2022, 05:45:12 AM »
SPOILER WARNING: yeah I'm enjoying house of the dragon well enough altho nowhere near how much I liked the first 3 seasons of got. Found the actor changes in ep 6 pretty jarring tho. I'm not a super stickler or anything so I can just go along with it but it's strange they replaced like 4 actors but kept like 12 others some of which barely looking any different.
Rhaenyra being the weirdest as it's the main character but the new actor doesn't look or even sound anything like the younger one. If they jumped 25+ years into the future sure but I don't think people change that drastically between 20s and 30s for it to of really been worth changing up the cast.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1127 on: September 26, 2022, 06:54:34 AM »
George RR Martin is the horniest dude to ever be given a tv show.

Bupstop

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #1128 on: September 26, 2022, 10:39:19 AM »
SPOILER WARNING: yeah I'm enjoying house of the dragon well enough altho nowhere near how much I liked the first 3 seasons of got. Found the actor changes in ep 6 pretty jarring tho. I'm not a super stickler or anything so I can just go along with it but it's strange they replaced like 4 actors but kept like 12 others some of which barely looking any different.
Rhaenyra being the weirdest as it's the main character but the new actor doesn't look or even sound anything like the younger one. If they jumped 25+ years into the future sure but I don't think people change that drastically between 20s and 30s for it to of really been worth changing up the cast.

I feel the same way. It was really jarring how they changed up the actors but Sir Kristan didn’t age at all just got a haircut. The fight at the wedding was insanely odd. That seemed forced and it’s weird there were no repercussions for it?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1129 on: September 26, 2022, 10:53:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel the same way. It was really jarring how they changed up the actors but Sir Kristan didn’t age at all just got a haircut. The fight at the wedding was insanely odd. That seemed forced and it’s weird there were no repercussions for it?
I guess he was going to kill himself until queen alicent stepped in. I did think it felt like there was a scene missing or something tho right before the fight broke out. Laenors boyfriend tell him he knows he fucked the queen then he waits a bit and caves his head in. Seems like there should of been at least a two second shot of him considering his options or show his anger building thruout the night etc or should of just attacked him immediately instead there was just a weird bit of time then an attack. Maybe that's more like the book or something. Noone of the main cast saw it so nobody knows what really happened. You'd also think laenor would be more pissed at him but I guess it's ten years later and he's a pompous dork with a new boyfriend.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #1130 on: September 26, 2022, 02:29:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I guess he was going to kill himself until queen alicent stepped in. I did think it felt like there was a scene missing or something tho right before the fight broke out. Laenors boyfriend tell him he knows he fucked the queen then he waits a bit and caves his head in. Seems like there should of been at least a two second shot of him considering his options or show his anger building thruout the night etc or should of just attacked him immediately instead there was just a weird bit of time then an attack. Maybe that's more like the book or something. Noone of the main cast saw it so nobody knows what really happened. You'd also think laenor would be more pissed at him but I guess it's ten years later and he's a pompous dork with a new boyfriend.

i think they were trying to bait you into thinking that something happened with dameon and princess. if you watch inside the episode you can tell they were wanting to do a red wedding type thing but throw a curve ball.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1131 on: October 24, 2022, 04:54:38 AM »
Well that's done for season 1 of house of the dragon. Quickest review: yeah alright, overall pretty satisfactory. Few dud bits but overall can't complain too much.

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -139
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1132 on: October 25, 2022, 11:47:30 AM »
the books are infinitely better than both shows

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1133 on: October 25, 2022, 05:07:00 PM »
the books are infinitely better than both shows
Yes and no. The books are never getting finished either way.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1134 on: October 25, 2022, 11:15:08 PM »
I liked season 1 of HoD. As for GoT, I had watched season 1 and 2 (I believe) and then read all books. I thought the series was a very good adaption of the books. Of course a movie/series cannot translate a book 1:1 but they did a good job. The problems began when the series overtook the books and the showrunners had to invent the rest of the saga themselves. I still liked the GoT finale. Not sure I would read Winds of Winter now, assuming it will ever be finished.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1135 on: October 25, 2022, 11:30:33 PM »
I liked season 1 of HoD. As for GoT, I had watched season 1 and 2 (I believe) and then read all books. I thought the series was a very good adaption of the books. Of course a movie/series cannot translate a book 1:1 but they did a good job. The problems began when the series overtook the books and the showrunners had to invent the rest of the saga themselves. I still liked the GoT finale. Not sure I would read Winds of Winter now, assuming it will ever be finished.
Dam you gotta be one of the lucky few. Im a reasonably big GoT nerd and watched every ep maybe 25 times each but the last season I maybe watched some eps 2 or 3 times and the last ep only once and was already over it as it was playing lol. I think the trouble started a little earlier there's so much book they left out and it kinda blocked certain storylines from happening but they still did mostly pretty good for a while. I feel like after red wedding it went from a popular genre show to just every fucking human watched it so certain things changed because it was so popular.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1136 on: October 26, 2022, 12:47:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Dam you gotta be one of the lucky few. Im a reasonably big GoT nerd and watched every ep maybe 25 times each but the last season I maybe watched some eps 2 or 3 times and the last ep only once and was already over it as it was playing lol. I think the trouble started a little earlier there's so much book they left out and it kinda blocked certain storylines from happening but they still did mostly pretty good for a while. I feel like after red wedding it went from a popular genre show to just every fucking human watched it so certain things changed because it was so popular.

I know I am a minority but I am not a real nerd so the inconsistencies didn‘t bother me that much. I just thought it was entertaining to watch. I don‘t watch a lot of series so I am not competent to make any critical assessment. But I think you have a point that after the red wedding the overall vibe changed.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #1137 on: October 28, 2022, 07:41:43 PM »
Speaking of the books, this motherfucker is only 3/4 of the way through The Winds of Winter. We will not see A Dream of Spring before he dies.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1138 on: October 28, 2022, 09:30:28 PM »
Speaking of the books, this motherfucker is only 3/4 of the way through The Winds of Winter. We will not see A Dream of Spring before he dies.
I think it's like partially written by other people anyway like he knows what he wants to happen and they check all the continuity, fill in details etc. I'm hoping he at least has a rough draft down that outlines how everything's supposed to go and while not being full George rr Martin's writing others can fill it all in so it's at least close enough.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #1139 on: October 29, 2022, 02:19:00 PM »
That's how the reference books get done, but the novels he writes himself.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.