Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 126703 times)

Stoop Kid 2.0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #750 on: July 01, 2016, 06:54:34 AM »
How okay with inter-fucking the Targaryens are is what Cersei used to use to tell herself it was fine to fuck her brother. Then she just was like "I like fucking my brother that's good enough for me." And Danaerys is Jon's Aunt, not cousin. Not that it would matter between the sheets. I wonder if there'll be any sort of proof of Jon's parentage, like documentation that would make Danaerys put her claim aside. Rhaegar was the heir, and Jon is his heir, so Danaerys shouldn't even be in consideration outside of her waging a war of conquest.

Maybe Sam will find some sort of documentation in Old Town?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #751 on: July 01, 2016, 07:17:02 AM »
Expand Quote
How okay with inter-fucking the Targaryens are is what Cersei used to use to tell herself it was fine to fuck her brother. Then she just was like "I like fucking my brother that's good enough for me." And Danaerys is Jon's Aunt, not cousin. Not that it would matter between the sheets. I wonder if there'll be any sort of proof of Jon's parentage, like documentation that would make Danaerys put her claim aside. Rhaegar was the heir, and Jon is his heir, so Danaerys shouldn't even be in consideration outside of her waging a war of conquest.
[close]

There's the idea floating around that Littlefinger might be able to prove it with his Littlefingery ways. If Bran showed back up and was like "I saw it by touching a tree and my brain went back in time" nobody's going to believe that shit.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #752 on: July 01, 2016, 07:48:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There's the idea floating around that Littlefinger might be able to prove it with his Littlefingery ways. If Bran showed back up and was like "I saw it by touching a tree and my brain went back in time" nobody's going to believe that shit.

No not at all. There was a rumor going around that when they go to bury Rickon in the tombs everyone sees Jons tomb that reads "here lies the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark" didn't happen though. Going to be hard to prove, but I'm sure Littlefinger does have his ways. Howland Reed can prove it though. He was there.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #753 on: July 01, 2016, 07:59:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No not at all. There was a rumor going around that when they go to bury Rickon in the tombs everyone sees Jons tomb that reads "here lies the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark" didn't happen though. Going to be hard to prove, but I'm sure Littlefinger does have his ways. Howland Reed can prove it though. He was there.

Howland Reed can say he was there but that's left to if people believe him or not, which him being a little crannogman nobody has heard from in 20 years... who knows. I heard the stuff about Rickon in the crypt and while kind of neat I mean... that crypt is old and there's no tomb for Jon in there. If there was a secret note laying around naming Jon heir to the Iron Throne someone probably would have found it, and they definitely wouldn't be stuffing a dead bastard under their ancient castle so why would there ever be a tomb for him there? Ned gave Robert a walking tour of the crypt in the very first episode, so he probably wouldn't walk him right past a tomb declaring his "bastard" the true king. Ned didn't even tell Cat who Jon was, he let his own wife go totally nuts over it, so I doubt he'd order construction of a tomb with a secret message in it. That's not so much directed at you Stoop Kid, just my thoughts on it. I never gave much credence to their being physical proof of who Jon is outside of MAYBE a declaration from Rhaegar that Littlefinger somehow got his hands on before anyone else saw it. There was all the talk of Rhaegar forming his own army and the Battle of the Trident being the first battle in Rhaegar's civil war against his father, so it's possible. Aerys had Aegon and Rhaenys locked away in the Red Keep so Rhaegar had to make his own, unthreatened heir.  Littlefinger always talks about peoples' letters being the most powerful weapons.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #754 on: July 01, 2016, 08:04:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Howland Reed can say he was there but that's left to if people believe him or not, which him being a little crannogman nobody has heard from in 20 years... who knows. I heard the stuff about Rickon in the crypt and while kind of neat I mean... that crypt is old and there's no tomb for Jon in there. If there was a secret note laying around naming Jon heir to the Iron Throne someone probably would have found it, and they definitely wouldn't be stuffing a dead bastard under their ancient castle so why would there ever be a tomb for him there? Ned gave Robert a walking tour of the crypt in the very first episode, so he probably wouldn't walk him right past a tomb declaring his "bastard" the true king. Ned didn't even tell Cat who Jon was, he let his own wife go totally nuts over it, so I doubt he'd order construction of a tomb with a secret message in it. That's not so much directed at you Stoop Kid, just my thoughts on it. I never gave much credence to their being physical proof of who Jon is outside of MAYBE a declaration from Rhaegar that Littlefinger somehow got his hands on before anyone else saw it. There was all the talk of Rhaegar forming his own army and the Battle of the Trident being the first battle in Rhaegar's civil war against his father, so it's possible. Aerys had Aegon and Rhaenys locked away in the Red Keep so Rhaegar had to make his own, unthreatened heir.  Littlefinger always talks about peoples' letters being the most powerful weapons.

So do you think Littlefinger knows and doesn't care? Or is he waiting to somehow use it to his advantage?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #755 on: July 01, 2016, 08:09:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

So do you think Littlefinger knows and doesn't care? Or is he waiting to somehow use it to his advantage?

He's probably holding onto that information for when it would hurt someone else/benefit him the most, if he knows anything at all. He's always liked to position himself close to people before he takes them down, and he was standing on that side of the table when Jon was declared Kingindanorff so... maybe? Also maybe not.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #756 on: July 01, 2016, 06:02:39 PM »

I think Jon's unintentional ascent to King in the North is about as unconventional as Cersei's and Daenerys's claim to the throne. Bastards seem to have as legitimate of a claim as queens, so Jon shouldn't be a threat to Daenerys in a legal sense. The traditions are getting brushed to the side with the new guard replacing the old anyway, as has been a theme this season. That and Jon wouldn't give a shit if someone else wanted to rule in the south.

This is probably already a thing, but I think the legitimacy of a Targaryen dynasty depends on whether Rhaegar was a "good guy." His legacy is primarily defined by the kidnapping and raping of Lyanna Stark, yet multiple people have compared Daenerys's wit and power to Rhaegar's as a compliment. I haven't read past the first book, but I wonder if Lyanna left and had a child with Rhaegar of her own will. She died before she had a chance to talk about anything other than Jon, and the accepted history of the war is already known to be a bunch of bullshit troubadour songs. Robert didn't burn people alive for funzies, but he was obviously a shitbag. Maybe the affair was actually an escape.

Let me know if I'm dumb.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #757 on: July 01, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think Jon's unintentional ascent to King in the North is about as unconventional as Cersei's and Daenerys's claim to the throne. Bastards seem to have as legitimate of a claim as queens, so Jon shouldn't be a threat to Daenerys in a legal sense. The traditions are getting brushed to the side with the new guard replacing the old anyway, as has been a theme this season. That and Jon wouldn't give a shit if someone else wanted to rule in the south.

This is probably already a thing, but I think the legitimacy of a Targaryen dynasty depends on whether Rhaegar was a "good guy." His legacy is primarily defined by the kidnapping and raping of Lyanna Stark, yet multiple people have compared Daenerys's wit and power to Rhaegar's as a compliment. I haven't read past the first book, but I wonder if Lyanna left and had a child with Rhaegar of her own will. She died before she had a chance to talk about anything other than Jon, and the accepted history of the war is already known to be a bunch of bullshit troubadour songs. Robert didn't burn people alive for funzies, but he was obviously a shitbag. Maybe the affair was actually an escape.

Let me know if I'm dumb.

It makes sense. But we all must wait
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #758 on: July 01, 2016, 06:17:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Let me know if I'm dumb.

She left on her own will. Her and Rhaegar were in love. She was betrothed to Robert but loved Rhaegar. Wasn't it at a tournament Rhaegar gave a rose or something to Lyanna over Cersei? Yeah they were in love. Robert couldn't stand it and thus Roberts rebellion and userping of the throne. Shit for brains made me think pretty hard. That one scene with Littlefinger and Sansa in the crypt is a dead give away that he knows something.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #759 on: July 01, 2016, 06:33:02 PM »
ALSO, just for consideration, Daenerys's current ascent mirrors her ancestor Aegon I much more than her other family. She's the first to have three fully grown dragons and to take Westeros by conquest over inheritance. Aegon I secured the north in his conquest after Torrhen Stark surrendered peacefully knowing he'd inevitably lose like the other kingdoms. Jon's hesitance to be king at all, let alone start another war, makes him seem set to pledge a peaceful allegiance with Daenerys.

On that note, as brought up earlier in the thread, Cersei's tenuous grasp on the throne doesn't seem to stand a chance against Daenerys's dragons, three armies, and knack for securing more armies in minutes. There's no reason for Daenerys to pledge war with the north either, given their mutual hatred of the Lannisters, Jon's reluctance to be king, and the soon-to-be-revealed familial relationship. Cersei gets gnarly when backed into a corner for sure, but her and Littlefinger are the only real threat aside from the White Walkers. Maybe Melisandre and the Brotherhood Without Banners somehow, but they seem to lean toward her side too.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #760 on: July 01, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »
She left on her own will. Her and Rhaegar were in love. She was betrothed to Robert but loved Rhaegar. Wasn't it at a tournament Rhaegar gave a rose or something to Lyanna over Cersei? Yeah they were in love. Robert couldn't stand it and thus Roberts rebellion and userping of the throne. Shit for brains made me think pretty hard. That one scene with Littlefinger and Sansa in the crypt is a dead give away that he knows something.

He passed over his wife, Elia Martell (Oberyn's sister he fought The Mountain in order to avenge) to give the rose to Lyanna. Which could have been a heartfelt declaration of love or a creepy rapist power demonstration. I assume we'll learn more.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #761 on: July 03, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »
Rhaegar and Cersei were never anything. Tywin proposed they marry to Aerys but Aerys shut him down real hard. Dorne was always a pain in the ass to the Targaryens so Rhaegar marrying Elia was to maintain their peace for awhile longer, but Rhaegar and Lyanna were really in love and Rhaegar pretty much could do whatever the fuck he wanted. He was going to be king soon and everybody loved him. If Aerys hadn't killed the Starks things would've been a lot different.

Everyone in Dany's company who has met Jon Snow has only high praise for him. I think it may end up that Jaime becomes part of her troop in some way after she butt fucks King's Landing with dragons, and even Jaime Huge Piece of Shit Lannister respects Jon Snow. She'll need to marry someone for alliances, as she said. There's nobody else on her level. By the time Dany is done with Cersei, I suspect the White Walkers will already be south of the Wall, so they might find it an easy decision to make.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #762 on: July 03, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »
Rhaegar and Cersei were never anything. Tywin proposed they marry to Aerys but Aerys shut him down real hard. Dorne was always a pain in the ass to the Targaryens so Rhaegar marrying Elia was to maintain their peace for awhile longer, but Rhaegar and Lyanna were really in love and Rhaegar pretty much could do whatever the fuck he wanted. He was going to be king soon and everybody loved him. If Aerys hadn't killed the Starks things would've been a lot different.

Everyone in Dany's company who has met Jon Snow has only high praise for him. I think it may end up that Jaime becomes part of her troop in some way after she butt fucks King's Landing with dragons, and even Jaime Huge Piece of Shit Lannister respects Jon Snow. She'll need to marry someone for alliances, as she said. There's nobody else on her level. By the time Dany is done with Cersei, I suspect the White Walkers will already be south of the Wall, so they might find it an easy decision to make.

I'm not sure of Theon's feelings for Jon, but he definitely respected the Starks as a whole and absolutely feels indebted to them. Tyrion's the only other person who met him and they're forever-friends, so it's hardly doubted Jon will be in Dany's good books. I think Jaime just barely respects Jon for his honest convictions, but he thinks the Night's Watch is a joke like most Southroners: A life sentence to a cold ass, blue balls, and boredom. Jaime has no deep respect for the Watch or those a part of it. Also, Jaime killed Dany's father and told Bronn he would kill Tyrion for killing their father. As shitty as Dany knows Aerys was, the very best we can hope for Jaime is that he is exiled or sent to the Night's Watch. Ironically, that's the best we could hope for Tyrion two seasons ago. My opinion is that Jaime will find himself forced to kill Cersei for doing what the Mad King threatened to do (burning a city/part of a city to the ground) and he will follow her soon after. Most of Cersei's threats have come true, and she did say that she & Jaime came into this world together and would leave it together.

I believe someone mentioned that Dany is barren on here, thus throwing her importance as an heir-bearing monarch into question, as well as the importance of her character as a whole. Thus, it makes it difficult to see Dany surviving to the very end. I'm also not a Dany-Jon shipper, I understand the obvious threads leading to it and see no other viable option for marriage alliance on the show, but I hope it doesn't happen. I think the end of the show will establish a more democratic rule, and perhaps a severed kingdom in six or five.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #763 on: July 05, 2016, 06:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Let me know if I'm dumb.
[close]

Many theories believe that Rhaegar secretly sponsored the Tourney at Harrenhal in order to gain support for setting aside Aerys. He then wins the Tourney. Instead of his wife Elia of Dorne, Rhaegar crowned Lyanna the Queen of Love and Beauty by placing a grip of blue roses in her lap. Rhaegar then kidnaps or elopes with Lyanna. Soon after, Rickard and Brandon Stark stupidly march right into the court and demand that Aerys cough up Lyanna. Aerys kills them both then tells Jon Arryn to turn over his wards, Ned and Bobby B. Instead, Jon A calls his banners and rebels. Basically Jon Arryn starts the rebellion and Robert finishes it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #764 on: July 05, 2016, 06:36:24 AM »
i thought jon's royal ancestry was important more for melisandre to be able to give him some special power to beat the white walkers. i'd assume this is why the red god's gave her the power to bring him back in the first place. it seems clear that power is more about who takes it than who is entitled to it on this show. theon and his sister to got outted really quick and danny has been taking over kingdoms that she has no real claim too. seems weird and weak if after all that they make a big plot arc revolve around jon have an ancestral right to the throne.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #765 on: July 05, 2016, 06:52:02 AM »
i thought jon's royal ancestry was important more for melisandre to be able to give him some special power to beat the white walkers. i'd assume this is why the red god's gave her the power to bring him back in the first place. it seems clear that power is more about who takes it than who is entitled to it on this show. theon and his sister to got outted really quick and danny has been taking over kingdoms that she has no real claim too. seems weird and weak if after all that they make a big plot arc revolve around jon have an ancestral right to the throne.

I think Jon's right to the throne will be more about what an overall important person he is, and not so much that now he's going to engage in a war so he can have his chair. He doesn't care about the throne, he doesn't care about anything aside from stopping the WW, so the "he's the true king" thing I think is just to make him more prophetic and an important figure. He's "The One" for a lot of reasons, that's just one of them.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #766 on: July 05, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »
i still can't imagine them using "right to the throne" as an important plot element in a positive way where that alone is meaningful. negative way, sure, last episode was an example of that with the stark boy getting taken out by ramsay.

also jon's rise has been in a large part inspite of being a bastard and underdog. they'd get more emtional capital from a reveal that was either after he had already gotten power or that was related to something other than him getting power.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #767 on: July 05, 2016, 11:29:54 AM »
i still can't imagine them using "right to the throne" as an important plot element in a positive way where that alone is meaningful. negative way, sure, last episode was an example of that with the stark boy getting taken out by ramsay.

also jon's rise has been in a large part inspite of being a bastard and underdog. they'd get more emtional capital from a reveal that was either after he had already gotten power or that was related to something other than him getting power.

Melisandre used the term 'prince that was promised'. Jon is a prince.  This will mean more about him being a hero in the fight against the others rather than a claim to an inheritance. The only 2 prophecies that the show has really addressed are Azor Ahai and Cercei's.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #768 on: July 05, 2016, 12:04:58 PM »
^exactly

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #769 on: March 15, 2017, 05:45:40 AM »
New season 7/16/17.

If the TWOW is announced for a Christmas release, will you skip watching this season until then?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #770 on: March 15, 2017, 05:47:07 AM »
New season 7/16/17.

If the TWOW is announced for a Christmas release, will you skip watching this season until then?

Hell no.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #771 on: March 15, 2017, 05:49:24 AM »
Expand Quote
New season 7/16/17.

[close]

Hell no.

Me neither. I can't wait for the book but I think we saw most of TWOW in Season 6.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #772 on: March 15, 2017, 05:55:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New season 7/16/17.

[close]

Hell no.
[close]

Me neither. I can't wait for the book but I think we saw most of TWOW in Season 6.

In the war between written stories and moving pictures, I'm with moving pictures every damn time. A guy I work with didn't watch last season yet and I don't get it. It's right there go watch it.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #773 on: March 15, 2017, 06:37:24 AM »
Watching the first season is what got me into the books. I'll be fine with watching then reading.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #774 on: March 15, 2017, 06:48:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New season 7/16/17.

[close]

Hell no.
[close]

[close]

In the war between written stories and moving pictures, I'm with moving pictures every damn time. A guy I work with didn't watch last season yet and I don't get it. It's right there go watch it.

In a perfect world, I'd prefer to read it first. I read all five books in between seasons 1 and 2.

The show is so good, and GRRM may never finish another one so therefore I watch.

Will they cast Rhaegar this year???

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #775 on: March 15, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »
Stoked on this. Final season will only be 6 episodes too. Bummed but stoked for the massive budget in each episode
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #776 on: March 18, 2017, 09:26:12 AM »
Honestly I feel cheated of a great story and content because of how short the final two seasons will be. 13 episodes feels like it's extremely rushed to tie all this shit up. 60 episodes for winter to come and 13 for it to end? I may wait for the books if they ever come out. I like the books a lot better and I feel like they'll give us more conclusion than whatever half assed shit I feel is coming. Without George's in detail novels they can't make it work as well. That's why season 6 was shit except for the last two episodes. They're rushing and butchering the story. They should of done a two season flashback to Roberts rebellion and let the characters get older like they do in the books and tie that into brans visions. That would give George more time to finish the books even though the fucker has had enough time or give George time to thoroughly help them write with them like he did in season 1-5. 6 was bullshit and more bullshit is coming. Special effects and action don't make up for a rushed product and mediocre writing.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #777 on: March 18, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »
It sounds like you've already decided you don't like the rest of it.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #778 on: March 18, 2017, 10:40:41 AM »

I don't. I was really pissed watching season 6 because a lot of things didn't make sense and were extremely rushed. I feel like Benioff and Weiss don't really care and just want to be done with it.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #779 on: March 18, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't. I was really pissed watching season 6 because a lot of things didn't make sense and were extremely rushed. I feel like Benioff and Weiss don't really care and just want to be done with it.

What felt rushed to you? An entire season and change from the mention of Cersei's and Loras' trial to it actually happening? Two episodes of Jon laying around before being resurrected? Six seasons before Dany finally makes for Westeros? And what is this about two seasons' worth of flashbacks to Robert's Rebellion "like they do in the books"? I'll agree that some of the writing and scenes in season six where cheesey and not up to par with previous seasons. I also see your point about taking so long for winter to come only to have it for a small fraction of the overall show's runtime, but think of "winter is coming" as "our greatest adversary is coming". GOT has built up this massive ominous threat since the first episode, and now we get thirteen episodes of it in the end.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?