Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 126777 times)

Joclo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1080 on: May 07, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »
Its due time they discover gunpowder, ya groce.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1081 on: May 12, 2019, 10:31:11 PM »
I think its way more frustrating how much they're changing dany so drastically with like 3 eps to go, She has been this "just ruler" and now she's being a baby.

I agree and disagree with this. I agree that the psycho switch with this episode did flip too fast. But bear in mind, she’s been a cold-hearted conqueror since a few episodes in. She burned a woman alive for cursing her rapist horde-leading husband. She left a subject to starve to death in a vault in Qarth for a betrayal she was coerced into. She colonized multiple foreign societies to fight battles she never raised a sword in.

She’s whined and complained about not getting her due since just about day one. We, and the characters in the show, have justified her behavior as doing the ugly work that needs to be done to do the job, like her killing of Sam’s father and brother, but really, it’s arguably equally evil.

On one side of the story, she freed a city of slave soldiers. On the other side, she took a generation of slaves to fight a foreign war they had no business in, as anyone who might have purchased the slaves would have done as well. It’s all relative to the storytellers. On the one hand, Robert freed the country of a murderous tyrant. On the other, he falsified a story about his ex-girlfriend to start a war. On one hand, Aegon Targaryen united the seven kingdoms. On the other, he burned Harrenhal, a small King’s Landing of its own, to ashes.

Again, I agree this last switch felt fast, but there have been hints about it since the beginning.

I’m glad this season went there after the Knight King disappointment. It’s back on track for catching you off-guard and making the harder calls.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:47:57 PM by Bobby Peru »

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1082 on: May 13, 2019, 04:06:39 AM »
The main item that bothered me was the Jamie arc that took all of his character growth and threw it in the trash.

Also, I realized that it wasn't an Iron Throne covered in snow in her vision...it was covered in ash. I think.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #1083 on: May 13, 2019, 04:41:03 AM »

They are all talking shit you know this is gonna get nawstier

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1084 on: May 13, 2019, 06:08:38 AM »
Jon Snow last night

I don't know how I feel about that episode. Only part I am not undecided on was Cleganebowl

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #1085 on: May 13, 2019, 07:25:52 AM »
i'm digging this season.

SPOILERS

i was hoping this season wouldn't wimp out and would still to the playbook which means character pivots, betrayals, likable characters dying ect... stylistically i'm digging the choices they are making. really enjoyed the blackout approach to the white walkers battle and i like that for kings landing they went with the angle of empathizing with the characters on the streets and the idea that the differences in the various groups really come out when they don't have their backs against the wall and instead are the aggressors. really liked the mountain fight sequence. probably only part i wouldn't have minded a bit more on was jamie and cersi's finale.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #1086 on: May 13, 2019, 07:49:22 AM »
ep 5 was great, unlinke ep 4. can't wait to see how it all plays out in the final. can't believe I actually felt sorry for cersei in her final moments ... spoilers were spot on, but the director's delivery of the events was on point, so I enjoyed them much more than I could have predicted (that's why I still have hope for a good final episode)

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1087 on: May 13, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »
My favorite episode of the season. Most character deaths in a single episode as well.

We all knew Dany was going to go her father's route, Clegane bowl was something we all wanted and got, Jamie vs Bam Margera was ????, Jamie dying in Cersei's arms was expected.

But what about Cersei's prophecy? She was to die at the hands of her younger brother?

Jon fucked up. Tyrion fucked up. Dany fucked up. Everyone be fucking up.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1088 on: May 13, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »
That shot of Hound on the stairs, looking up at The Mountain, with Drogon flying in the background was a piece of high fantasy artwork come to life.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #1089 on: May 13, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »
I think Arya kills Danny in the finale. She didn’t get to kill Cersei and she witnessed the most carnage of anyone.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1090 on: May 13, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
I think Arya kills Danny in the finale. She didn’t get to kill Cersei and she witnessed the most carnage of anyone.

i'm not so sure they are going to wrap this up with a happy ending and that would be a pretty obvious way for this to play out. tyrion seems like a candidate, following his brother's footsteps as king slayer.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #1091 on: May 13, 2019, 04:25:50 PM »
Man the writing on this show went so far down the shitter its insulting. Euron shot rhaegar 3 times in a row with the giant crossbow,now your telling me a entire fuckin army cant hit dany once? Euron just happend to wash right up on time to dual jamie..Clegane bowl was epic as the hound was my favorite character on this show.. Excited to see evil dany next week but thats about it.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #1092 on: May 13, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »
Can't believe The Mountain was a plastic baby doll head that got left out in the rain this whole time

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #1093 on: May 13, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »
It's odd...I gave up on the books half-way through the most recent one and I gave up on the show after the episode where they explained how Hodor got his name. I just don't have the energy for all that shit, man.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1094 on: May 13, 2019, 05:07:38 PM »
cant believe they decapitated my wife 

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #1095 on: May 13, 2019, 05:07:59 PM »
My favorite episode of the season. Most character deaths in a single episode as well.

We all knew Dany was going to go her father's route, Clegane bowl was something we all wanted and got, Jamie vs Bam Margera was ????, Jamie dying in Cersei's arms was expected.

But what about Cersei's prophecy? She was to die at the hands of her younger brother?

That's in the books, not the show.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1096 on: May 14, 2019, 11:25:47 AM »
Man the writing on this show went so far down the shitter its insulting. Euron shot rhaegar 3 times in a row with the giant crossbow,now your telling me a entire fuckin army cant hit dany once? Euron just happend to wash right up on time to dual jamie..Clegane bowl was epic as the hound was my favorite character on this show.. Excited to see evil dany next week but thats about it.

to me she got the crossbows by being clever. they surprised here the first time but she suprsed them the second and was smart. attack the ships in their sun-blind spot, from above, (euron was holding up his hand to block the sun, i was an obvious cue from the writers) then fly straight up to thwart the crossbows on the harbor wall, and then attack the giant crossbows on the gate wall from behind.

Euron just happend to wash right up on time to dual jamie.

that was pretty weak. i think they ran out of time and wanted to have a scene where he rubbed it in jamies face that he had got some snuggle time with cersi. i'm assuming the writers would say they were both making their way to cersi and that's how they ran into each other but still kind of weak.

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #1097 on: May 16, 2019, 10:37:34 PM »
The siege army seemed a little to large IMO. They filmed the last battle of Winterfell as if only a few survived.

The Mountain’s look was very disappointing. Dude looked like a giant baby/character from 300.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1098 on: May 17, 2019, 03:32:56 AM »
We've started re-watching season 1...goddamn this show was so good. Such a big world and even though I am trying to just enjoy the ride, I can acknowledge that they blew it.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #1099 on: May 18, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's in the books, not the show.
Pretty sure she did die in the hands of her younger brother, Cersei was born first. But like someone mentioned above they did sort of abandon jamie’s Whole arc seemingly to make that happen. Or his arc was kind of a fake out and when it came down to it he knew he’d choose Cersei and maybe finally sleeping with Brienne made him realize that. And I’m sure the baby thing didn’t hurt.

And in regards to her avoiding the scorpions like someone said a couple posts ago she used the sun to her advantage and also I think they’re trying to imply with her riding it she can control and dodge better than a dragon sans rider.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1100 on: May 19, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
I don't know about all that.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #1101 on: May 19, 2019, 09:06:08 PM »
An ending that leaves no one satisfied but overall in a better place is undoubtedly a monstrous task. Mis-paced and incoherent earlier episodes of this season accounted for, I think the finale justified the story.

Jon ended up serving the people he saved and loved him.

Sansa ended up leading the North.

Arya continued her rebellious streak.

Daenerys wasn't "mad" the way her father was, but woefully misguided by delusions of grandeur.

Varys to Tyrion in season 2, "The history books won't remember you for saving this city, but I will." Awesome.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #1102 on: May 19, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
A satisfying ending for the starks but the Jon, Dany and Drogon scene is terrible.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #1103 on: May 19, 2019, 11:43:13 PM »
I would have blamed all that shit on Drogon. He took the body and everything.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #1104 on: May 20, 2019, 02:01:53 AM »
Reading the leaks, I was really disappointed, but in the end this was the best ending you could expect from GRRM. Last episode I felt bad for Cersei and now I feel bad for Daenerys, never really cared for Sansa. I hope Jon and Arya's endings will be explained in more detail in the books.

I find the bits of humor that were sprinkled in were a bit much, not in line with the seriousness of a final.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #1105 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:20 AM »
I'm not upset by the ending, just disappointed by the shitty execution of these last couple seasons. It went from being the best show on TV to a bunch of people convincing themselves it was the right way to end, they suppose.

Some plot bits they never properly returned to:

Podrick's magic dick - I hoped Sansa would get some sweet Pod dick after a terrible sexual history. Instead he became a non-notable member of the King's Guard.

The Lord of Light and what Varys heard when he was castrated - These creeps and their god worked the characters behind the scenes like an illuminati of wizards building to a whole new enemy beyond the main story and then they just went away. That scene in Meereen where the priestess taunts Varys about what he heard in the flames when he was castrated served no purpose. Their alliance to Dany served no real purpose. That weird lady in Qarth who talked to Jorah served no real purpose.

The Warlocks - Made a notable assassination attempt on Dany in season three with implications there would be more. There weren't. Not that important, but the show was great at not abandoning plot lines until this season.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #1106 on: May 20, 2019, 08:22:36 AM »
everyone was shitting on the writing this whole season

i said i'd wait till the end

here it is

here i am

fuck, that sucked

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1107 on: May 20, 2019, 08:28:43 AM »
i enjoyed it. i think i they had more runway in the budget they could have done some more interesting things with danny's downfall but i rewatched most episodes in this season multiple times and enjoyed it more than a lot of other recent seasons. really glad they downplayed tully's character. hated the whole story with him and his girl. we rewatched the whole thing this year and fast forwarded all those bits.

seems like they are setting up an arya spin off

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #1108 on: May 20, 2019, 10:57:05 AM »
I would have blamed all that shit on Drogon. He took the body and everything.

And wasnt Arya supposed to have caught another body, one with green eyes?

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #1109 on: May 20, 2019, 10:58:57 AM »
I'm just so thankful to have been able to enjoy this incredible saga. GRRM's story is just so amazing and of course all the people who worked on the show did a great job. This last season in particular was rushed and the writing suffered for sure. However I am still happy with GOT overall. I hope GRRM is able to see his next two ASOIAF books published in his lifetime.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.