Author Topic: Slap Medical  (Read 17641 times)

kevbo999

Slap Medical
« on: June 27, 2011, 05:24:30 AM »
A thread to address any skate related health concerns.

I've got a lump on the inside of my flicking foot that won't go away.  I suspect it's because I wear thin shoes and land primo too often.. though I don't wanna ignore something potentially worse.  Anyone else have this?

Hercules Rockefeller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Slap Medical
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:52:32 AM »
when waking up or sleeping in, my elbow makes scratching noises. as soon as i am "warmed up" its gone.

JD

• Rep: 37
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:46:07 PM »
when waking up or sleeping in, my elbow makes scratching noises. as soon as i am "warmed up" its gone.
i get this but it sounds like a rusty door hinge
Bro imagine austyns face, but on biebels body!

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
A thread to address any skate related health concerns.

I've got a lump on the inside of my flicking foot that won't go away.  I suspect it's because I wear thin shoes and land primo too often.. though I don't wanna ignore something potentially worse.  Anyone else have this?
is it sore and/or noticeably discolored?
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That happens to me after I get bad swellbow/ water in the knee type joint injuries. I think when you get that its the fluid in your joint leaking into your arm. Might just need to get some glucosamine and chondroiton supplements to build back up the joint lubrication.

I fell onto a dirty piece of glass today and it cut my arm pretty deeply. I bled a bunch, but was wondering if I should get any shots or anything.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:10:06 PM »
i broke my fifth metatarsal in my pushing foot almost two months ago. the doctor gave me the pass to skate a few weeks ago, but i can't push on it. i've been staying off of my board. probably will till the end of the month. i've read some stories where the bone will never heal itself though. anyone ever break it? still skating?
fuck you bama

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:27:14 PM »
i broke my fifth metatarsal in my pushing foot almost two months ago. the doctor gave me the pass to skate a few weeks ago, but i can't push on it. i've been staying off of my board. probably will till the end of the month. i've read some stories where the bone will never heal itself though. anyone ever break it? still skating?
Depending on the break, two months is not very long. Stress fracture? Clean snap? Spiral? Although if the doc gave you the green light that must mean bone has formed around the break. Pushing yourself too hard during recovery can result in the developing bone becoming brittle. I'd give it a little more time.

NegativeCreep

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 05:47:31 PM »
when I slam really hard my body pops pretty crazy, its kinda loud and I feel it in my neck and shoulders mostly. does this happen to anyone else?

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Depending on the break, two months is not very long. Stress fracture? Clean snap? Spiral? Although if the doc gave you the green light that must mean bone has formed around the break. Pushing yourself too hard during recovery can result in the developing bone becoming brittle. I'd give it a little more time.
i should probably wait till the end of summer at least then huh?
i don't even know what kind of break it is. i rolled my ankle and the tendons or ligaments or whatever ripped the bone in half
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:52:49 PM by tom »
fuck you bama

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 09:21:41 PM »
i don't even know what kind of break it is. i rolled my ankle and the tendons or ligaments or whatever ripped the bone in half

I'm in a similar place. Haven't been to the hospital, but I heard something pop when I rolled it (the non-usual way, inside of foot down). That was about 2 weeks ago.. I skated on it 2 or 3 times in the interim, and can sorta push on it, and popped a couple ollies, but it still feels really weak and re-swells the day after I skate on it. I don't think any bones were broken cause it doesn't hurt too much, but it's really annoying. I'm trying to stay off it for a couple more weeks before I hop back on, just to be sure. It sucks, you lose so much strength and mobility.. so anyways, you have my sympathy.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
i should probably wait till the end of summer at least then huh?
Can't say really. I'm not a doctor. I've had the same break years back but really no trouble. Also broke my wrist and am now recovering from a broken leg. So I'm just speeking from personal experience. Give it some time and if you're still having trouble I'd consult your doctor. If he's an unhelpful knob-end, then find a good sports therapists. They usually seem to be more informed when it comes to healing and recovery.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »

I broke the 2nd, 3rd and hairline fractured the 4th and (partially) 5th in one fall. The middle one was a compound fracture with a piece just floating around. After a few years, the only evidence that I had broken them is that there's a little more calcium near the break--even the compound fracture sorted itself out. The fifth metatarsal is difficult to heal. But if you want to keep skating for years and years I would stay off it for a little longer just to make sure it's fully healed. 10+ years later and still is and will never be 100%. Mostly it's just a little numb and I'm unconsciously not as confident on that foot--I'm sure it's overwhelmingly mental.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »
any tips with getting the last 7 degrees after an Arthroscopy?

ive pushed myself and got from 40 to 7 but i cant get to 0
 any knee secrets from the slappers
thanks in advance

polyethylene

• Rep: -3
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 11:02:41 PM »

thanks in advance
dont stress it dude, the flex just needs some time to come back. wait it out

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • illinoying
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 12:06:21 AM »
Expand Quote

thanks in advance
[close]
dont stress it dude, the flex just needs some time to come back. wait it out

its been about  a month in  half since surgery and my doctor says its crucial that i get the last 7 within the next week.

thanks anyway though man

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »
I got knee surgery like 9 months ago and I still cant bend my knee all the way.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • illinoying
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
bending range is pretty good im talking about straightness.
doctor says i have to get surgery again if i dont get it right. i just want a little summer to skate

DeerTay

• Rep: -5
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
That happens to me after I get bad swellbow/ water in the knee type joint injuries. I think when you get that its the fluid in your joint leaking into your arm. Might just need to get some glucosamine and chondroiton supplements to build back up the joint lubrication.

I fell onto a dirty piece of glass today and it cut my arm pretty deeply. I bled a bunch, but was wondering if I should get any shots or anything.
When was the last time you had a tetanus shot? If it was over ten years ago, or you can't remember when the last one you got was, I'd get one.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:42:31 AM by DeerTay »

sophisto000

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »

bailed and landed all my wait on front foot when not completely flat and instant foldage. Thought it was just some good ol' ankle rollage, but shit got swollen super fast and and hurt super fuckin bad so i went and got it checked. it turned out i chipped 2 pieces off the 5th metatarsal. casted me up for 2 months and didn't skate for 2 months after that. it's all good now and i'm past thirty, so if you're a youngster healing could be faster. def take it easy for a bit though, best not to rush shit in the long run....

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 11:19:47 PM »
Rolled my ankle at the skatepark about a week and a half ago, thought nothing of it. Now, whenever I do anything that involves me flipping the board, the inside part of my ankle hurts a lot. Ollies, 180's, shuv-its, some no comply tricks are all fine, it only hurts when I do flip tricks, and only in that specific spot. Problem?
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 11:12:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
bending range is pretty good im talking about straightness.
doctor says i have to get surgery again if i dont get it right. i just want a little summer to skate

If you're sleeping with a pillow under your knee at night. Ditch it. Do what your physical therapist says. Blah blah blah.

My knee feels great now, I just have to stretch it out a shit ton more before skating than I did pre-injury.

clamy

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 02:49:18 AM »
Rolled my ankle at the skatepark about a week and a half ago, thought nothing of it. Now, whenever I do anything that involves me flipping the board, the inside part of my ankle hurts a lot. Ollies, 180's, shuv-its, some no comply tricks are all fine, it only hurts when I do flip tricks, and only in that specific spot. Problem?

Your medial ligament may of been stretched. I tore mine at the start of the year, which then made my arch collapse. It took over 5 months to heal because I had no arch support in my Emerica Laced and the ligament was just under stress the whole time. It was annoying 'cause I could still skate but not kickflip, anything with a kickflip would hurt on the inside. Compare your ankle with your good one, if the bump on the inside is bigger I'd recommend wearing some mids or highs. Whenever my board would hit me on that inside bump it would swell up and hurt even more, I'd may aswell roll my ankle again that's how bad the pain was. Wear shoes with arch support and try avoid kickflips for awhile. I wore Laced around the whole time so that really fucked with my recovery time, mine was pretty bad, though, swelling, bruising, etc. That pain on the inside is the worst, I've experienced all too often.

jhonn

• Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 06:08:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm in a similar place. Haven't been to the hospital, but I heard something pop when I rolled it (the non-usual way, inside of foot down). That was about 2 weeks ago.. I skated on it 2 or 3 times in the interim, and can sorta push on it, and popped a couple ollies, but it still feels really weak and re-swells the day after I skate on it. I don't think any bones were broken cause it doesn't hurt too much, but it's really annoying. I'm trying to stay off it for a couple more weeks before I hop back on, just to be sure. It sucks, you lose so much strength and mobility.. so anyways, you have my sympathy.

I've got the same exact situation going on right now (bend it the "wrong way" too). It's been three weeks now and i can walk perfectly and also push when rolling. But it's my back foot and i just can't bend enough to do an ollie, it's just too stiff and it hurts when i jump. This waiting is making me crazy.

Hannity

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »
does slap have any favorite remedies for our most common ailments? shinners, hippers, swellbows, gashed palms, road rash?

once i had to drain my own swellbow in the sink. fuckin rad.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
shinners, hippers, swellbows
Scream “FUCK!”, ice, aspirin, try not to hit the same spot.

gashed palms, road rash
Scream “FUCK!”, disinfectant, no bandages (let that shit dry out), try not to hit the same spot.

1eyebilly

• Rep: -2
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
Last week or so I bailed pretty hard and the muscles in the back of my knee cap hurt really bad when i stretch my leg so I can't do any flip tricks. It's still hurts but it's getting better. I just want to know what the hell is wrong with it.

goldman

• Rep: -18
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »
my dick feels like corn

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 09:24:16 AM »

Thats pretty normal when you roll your ankle. You've might have stretched some ligaments. You should probably rest it for a couple of weeks before you do fliptricks.

And also, if the problem continues you should get one of those balance boards/mats. Those makes your ankles/ligaments stronger, and prevents rolled ankles in the future :)

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »
my dick feels like corn

creamed? canned? husk on or off?

gashed palms, road rash?

dat feeling a day or two in when your hand has stopped bleeding and just runs with water (or pus or something), and it starts to scab and pulls the skin of your palm together and when you flatten your palm out it breaks again..

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 04:52:28 AM »
ok, so i have this huge plantar wart on my foot. it didn't bother me for years, but 6 months ago it started to hurt as fuck. so far i've cut it out with a exacto knife two times, rubbed it away with a nail file, and i've used various tinctures. right now i'm on the ductape method (http://www.warts.org/duct-tape-wart-removal.html). it seems to work as all the other methods did, but that damn thing keeps returning after 6-8 days.
any suggestions?