Author Topic: New York City Vs. Los Angeles  (Read 15243 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
New York City Vs. Los Angeles
« on: August 03, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »
Okay, okay....so listen. I'm not trying to re-hash some worn and tattered tupac versus biggie battle of the coasts. It's just that I've been in New York for the past few weeks and am going to be here for at least 2 more months. I lived in Los Angeles for a while and can't help but constantly keep comparing the two from a living standpoint. So let's try and keep this unbiased and just state the facts but feel free to add your preference. For instance:

Girls: I'd say L.A. girls are more commonly "jaw dropping" attractive. You'll see some girl who's insanely in shape, nice full boobs, perfect ass, even tan. Definitely tap your friend on the shoulder and say look at that girl more often. However, L.A. girls aren't as diverse and one might say harder to approach? Not as diverse?

In New York City, girls are so cute they border hot which makes them seem more approachable. I walk around feeling like there are more girls here and you come into closer proximity with them due to relying on public transit. A good personality will get you a lot further here? New york girls are definitely a little grittier.

Transit:   In L.A. you drive your car. You regulate the a/c, sit in your personalized drivers seat and play music you want to listen to but you're stuck in your own little bubble. You get stuck in traffic, have to pay car insurance and worry about gas prices. However, your car is always there waiting and no transferring subways or carrying groceries home necessary. But then there's the designated driver problem when people want to drink.

In New york, it's subways/buses/ and walking. You get stuck waiting in those hell holes that are the underground subway tunnels. I feel like it's much more tedious and that I get stuck waiting on subways and it takes me longer to get places here than in l.a. If I ended up with a girl before I went home and bathed after work I'd feel like I should wash my dick in the sink first.

I could get way more in depth but I'll see how this thread turns out. Topics that pop up in my head: Which city has a better hook up scene - as in easiest to get laid? dating scene? music scene? More or less stressful? art scene? expensive? better bars? Cafes? And obviously, compare aspects of skateboarding.

Ah here's one too. A roof top party is to new york what a pool party is to los angeles.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:13:43 AM by sexualhelon »

Lenny the Fatface

Re: New York City Vs. Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:34:30 PM »

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:55:35 PM »
SF
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:46:03 PM »
Personally, I found the transit amazing in NY, one of the biggest plusses for me. Could get wasted anywhere and not worry about cabs/drunk driving plus they were open 24/7 from what I can remember. LA's weather is the biggest plus, In-and-Out-Burger too holy shit.

However, this is coming from a Canadian. Most of our shit shuts down at 1 am.

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »
So Im gogn to try to respond t0 this this thread eventough im super wasted.

Im listening to woods so I feel real emotioal.

Theyre comihg to atlanta soon.

I have no idea what the fuck this thread is aboutl

I eally wanna travael sometime soon,Someone give me some fucking fucking moyey.

I;ve vacatiionaed bothe andI could live ub either csusr thryerre both awesone.  Lets all go lie in one of them. Internet

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 12:44:19 AM »
So let's try and keep this biased
You got it.
LA sucks.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:21:34 AM »
I always wanted to move to Portland.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:45:57 AM »
Saint Petersburg

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 08:28:43 AM »
Baton Rouge is a combo... downtown is virtually a skatepark, but it's also a really sprawling city, so a lot of spots you just have to drive to. I think NOLA's a bit better about being a skate-to-spots city. Hammond (between the two) is more like a really large town, but you can skate a Dreamland park and then push for 15 minutes and you're at our local university which had some sick spots but a high bust factor. Worth it though.

I've only skated a little bit in NY, but I can vouch for SF... perfect weather, hills, and what isn't knobbed is usually covered in blackened waxy skate resin.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:38:23 AM »
I feel like on paper, L.A. seems like it wins by a landslide. Weather, "most" probably say women, entertainment industry sort of things. And from a skateboarding standpoint it's definitely better. NYC ground is just too fucked to actually get around on unless you have a cruiser. I think most of the parks here suck or smell bad. But then I think about the vibes. Kind of like how the people make a place/good times. You run into more people and more good times in less time due to density with better vibes.

Subways though. Here's the thing, so you're surrounded by such an eclectic and diverse group of people every time you take the subway somewhere. You hear several languages and see wallstreet yuppies sitting next to punk rockers sitting next to french tourists. Thus you see tons of attractive ladies you could possibly get a number from just going from point a to point b. Sounds good in theory, but I feel like subways are more like a big awkward elevator. No one make eye contact, put in your headphones. It's like people still try and create that bubble for themselves. Tons of times I've had a girl check me out, practically staring at me, and then when I smile back they look away. My theory is, on the subway if you make eye contact with someone you have this 5 second window to actually say something...and it can't be a crowded subway. There it is, views on the subway.

Going to bars. So due to the driving thing in L.A. I'd say the night usually stays between two or three bars if you have to drive between them. You go out with friends, one of them finds a girl and is locked in for the night, then you're kind of stuck there. No walking down the street and dropping by 10+ bars. More house parties. But then again, that's better on the budget. Ah, and house parties vs. bars. Everything there has been anonymously vouched for by someone else if you don't know the connection so people assume your decent enough to be there too. Oh. Since I've been in New York I feel like I've met more genuine alcoholics faster than anywhere else.

Liquor laws are more lax in l.a. and you can smoke weed legally.

Then you have the realms of douches. Wallstreet yuppies and trustfund babies, brooklyn hipsters vs. Entertainment douches, surfing bros, and silverlake hipsters.

Here's one too. So lots of people move to NYC just to be in the city, in the mix of it all. This makes me feel like there's a lot of people just working shitty jobs and getting by but not pursuing any real passion. Unless they're a model or work in the finance industry. However, there is some really good art here. Great music scene as well. In L.A. I didn't really feel anyone moved there just to "be in L.A." That everyone there was pursing some sort of passion.

I feel like L.A. is a bit more status oriented. Maybe not by much, but I feel like it's easier to get laid in NYC.

So Grim, you're saying you prefer the NOLA around baton rouge and New Orleans to LA or NYC. I haven't spent much time there but I'm originally from Tupelo,MS near memphis. My friend from Berlin is moving there in September. He dated my friend in Albuquerque and when he was here traveled all over the states and fell in love with New Orleans. My sister thought about moving there from Austin at one point. For me, I feel like I could only live in LA or NYC....maybe SF. Everywhere in between the coasts I feel like I still run into too many conservative, overzealous, religious people....and people who probably couldn't identify the U.S. on a map.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »
So Grim, you're saying you prefer the NOLA around baton rouge and New Orleans to LA or NYC. I haven't spent much time there but I'm originally from Tupelo,MS near memphis. My friend from Berlin is moving there in September. He dated my friend in Albuquerque and when he was here traveled all over the states and fell in love with New Orleans. My sister thought about moving there from Austin at one point. For me, I feel like I could only live in LA or NYC....maybe SF. Everywhere in between the coasts I feel like I still run into too many conservative, overzealous, religious people....and people who probably couldn't identify the U.S. on a map.

Not really a preference man, I probably messed up posting in a "versus" thread... I mean, I back southeast Louisiana because that's where I'm from, but I look at skateable cities the way I do people, in the respect that it's impossible for me to choose a favorite. Down here you definitely deal with the zealots, but significantly moreso in BR than in NOLA. As for skating, they're just too different to compare... I live between both cities and work in BR and NOLA, and heads from both cities are down for each other. I've been skating in BR and seen my NOLA friends, and vice versa.

I haven't skated NY enough to really know it, and can't speak to LA at all (I've driven through it, but never really hung there). At this point (considering cities I've spent time skating in) if I didn't live down here SF would be my first choice, but Philly would be my second.

Outside the scope of the thread, I really like the greater Phoenix, AZ and Albuquerque, NM areas as well. Fuck, I just like everything, haha

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
LA has better burritos and weather, more skateparks and less weather-worn spots. You pretty much have to have a car. Cost of living is lower than in NYC, but not by much.

NYC has better pizza, public transit, crappier spots and less time to skate them, but you don't need a car and can push around a real city. LA doesn't have a real city feel to me. In NYC you can drink till 4 am and plane tickets to the rest of the country/ europe are cheaper, i think.

Both have beautiful women. I've liked the girls I've talked to in NYC way more than the girls I've met in LA. No one in NYC has ever asked me what kind of car I drive within 5 minutes of meeting them. Not the case in LA.

also, biggie is way better than tupac

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 12:04:59 PM »
No one in NYC has ever asked me what kind of car I drive within 5 minutes of meeting them. Not the case in LA.

People have actually asked you that?

Doctor Handsome

• Rep: 4
  • Doctor Handsome
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 12:07:20 PM »
For skating, LA.

For literally everything else, NYC.
I'm drunk.

Insatiable

• Rep: -17
  • A thirst that can never be quenched
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
NYC FTW

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
Expand Quote
No one in NYC has ever asked me what kind of car I drive within 5 minutes of meeting them. Not the case in LA.
[close]

People have actually asked you that?

repeatedly. usually in Hollywood. once in Echo Park, which was strange. I've also gotten "can i get your card?" a lot. it's like a cheap/easy way to check someone's social status. I think now if i go out i just carry a stack of flashcards with my name and phone number written in crayon with a drawing of a dick driving a hummer on it. "professional dickhead"

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »
Holy shit that's crazy! The card thing I can see in certain situations, but asking about your ride is just bizarre as fuck!

kevbo999

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »

dontsleep

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 01:12:09 PM »
LA sucks for everything except the weather. 

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »
I spent 11 years growing up in New York and I miss it everyday. I've never loved a place as much as I love New York City; there's just so much going on and I feel like there's a little bit for everyone to enjoy. I can't compare it with Los Angeles because I've never been, but I'm sure it's just as good for someone who's grown up there as NYC was good for me. My goal is to move back some day. The day I call New York home again will be a very good day.

Also, on a side note, I feel like New Yorkers, no matter who they are and what they do, have a sense of unity amongst each other. When September 11th happened, seeing people of all colors, religions, occupations, ages, whatever, coming together was really something special. Of course 9/11 sucked, but being able to see the unity of New Yorkers was really something special. Definitely an big impact on my life.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 01:36:26 PM »
For skating, LA.

For literally everything else, NYC.

Mexican food too...

kevbo999

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »
If you can't get laid in new York then you should just shoot yourself

says the tall pretty boy that "works" for a skate mag

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 05:05:44 PM »
It's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there...
Both of these places are perfect examples of this.

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 05:14:26 PM »
Expand Quote
If you can't get laid in new York then you should just shoot yourself
[close]

says the tall pretty boy that "works" for a skate mag

Ooh la la, call me sometime Otis  :-*
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »

usually people who say that live in bum fuck bunghole-ville though
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

usually people who say that live in bum fuck bunghole-ville though
Or just somewhere much, much safer with better weather and nicer people.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 05:52:30 PM »
where do you live?
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Archie Bunker

• Rep: 17
  • I've got the juice now
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »

also, biggie is way better than tupac

pshhhhhh yea right
Bitch I'm 'bout it 'bout it

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
where do you live?
I probably should have originally included the fact that where I live is often cited as being one of those great place to visit but wouldn't want to live cities too, being here permanently is definitely not for everyone.
And also it is literally in the middle of nowhere.

Hardly bum fuck bunghole-ville though.

Still doesn't change the fact that I think both LA and NY are awesome places to hang out for a week or two but there's no way I could live in either one and I know the same thing is often said about here too.

Having said all that I would take NY in the spring and fall and then LA in the summer and winter.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »
you win.  i'll take Hawaii over LA or NY