Author Topic: New York City Vs. Los Angeles  (Read 15242 times)

Locbrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
Re: New York City Vs. Los Angeles
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
NC.......

Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
Never been to LA, I've lived in NYC and in New England most of my life....and I don't really have any desire to visit LA  :-\.
I think its funny when one of the things people who aren't from this area say about NYC (or just the northeast in general, people say the same thing about Boston) is that people aren't friendly.

Honestly, that's just the way people are wired in this region.

You can tell INSTANTLY when someone isn't from around here, they're the people who will try and start a random conversation with a stranger on the train or on the sidewalk and then act offended when they're brushed off.  
Maybe its because I've lived in this area my entire life, but I honestly wouldn't have it any other way, and it makes me really uncomfortable when random people start talking to me, I just instantly think they're trying to jones me for something.

One of my friends went to school in the south for a year and transferred, said that it was unbearable the way people take their time and just stop and chat randomly all the time -- he said people thought he was the biggest douchebag just because he wouldn't want to do the ol' "walk and chat."

I feel like its the same way in California, all of the people I've met from there are really open and friendly the instant they meet you to the point where it just makes me uneasy.

Probably sounds dumb, but different strokes I guess..

The California friendliness usually seems phony, it's always easy to make "friends" but really people just want to feel popular.
People are more guarded on the East Coast, so when you engage in conversation it's a little more legit and/or substantial.  Or a stranger is talking to you because they are from out of town or trying to scam you.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »
It's cool though. You're obviously more intelligent/better than any American and know all this. If I had to guess you're most likely from somewhere in Britain, Scandinavia, or Western Europe. I'll be surprised if you're from somewhere in Central or Eastern Europe.

None of those. We could play 'Where in the World is sven thorkel,' but the answer isn't as fun as the game. 
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

Buddha

• Rep: -205
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2011, 11:38:21 PM »
For me, I feel like I could only live in LA or NYC....maybe SF. Everywhere in between the coasts I feel like I still run into too many conservative, overzealous, religious people....and people who probably couldn't identify the U.S. on a map.

Definitely no ultra conservative religious zealots in Jew York City.

Expand Quote
It's cool though. You're obviously more intelligent/better than any American and know all this. If I had to guess you're most likely from somewhere in Britain, Scandinavia, or Western Europe. I'll be surprised if you're from somewhere in Central or Eastern Europe.
[close]

None of those. We could play 'Where in the World is sven thorkel,' but the answer isn't as fun as the game. 

First Clue?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2011, 12:46:44 AM »
None of those. We could play 'Where in the World is sven thorkel,' but the answer isn't as fun as the game.? 
Oooh. I want to play.
I'm going to assume "lass" was a clue. Scotland perhaps (yes I know UK was listed but some Scots don't recognize the union)? NZ? OZ? Canada?

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2011, 02:59:59 AM »
Expand Quote
None of those. We could play 'Where in the World is sven thorkel,' but the answer isn't as fun as the game.? 
[close]
Oooh. I want to play.
I'm going to assume "lass" was a clue. Scotland perhaps (yes I know UK was listed but some Scots don't recognize the union)? NZ? OZ? Canada?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2011, 08:47:01 AM »

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Oooh. I want to play.
[close]

:-*
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »
:-*
You're right. The answer is not nearly as fun as the game, but I'm not done ruining this thread yet.

What do you guys call Canadian Bacon? Just bacon? What about regular old strip bacon, do you call that American bacon?

kevbo999

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »
Canadian Bacon is referred to as ham.  Strips of bacon are referred to as bacon.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2011, 07:40:40 PM »
Canadian Bacon is referred to as ham.?  Strips of bacon are referred to as bacon.
Damn. You're blowing my mind. What do you call regular old ham?

kevbo999

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
Well I'm sure some places up here still use the term Canadian Bacon to describe ham, but usually we use the same word to describe the breakfast stuff and the stuff you'd find in a boiled dinner.  Is boiled dinner just a Canadian thing?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
Is boiled dinner just a Canadian thing?
No, but I think baked is more common.

May I suggest the moniker "breakfast ham"? Just to avoid confusion and to perhaps give your delicious breakfast meat the distinction it deserves.

Doctor Handsome

• Rep: 4
  • Doctor Handsome
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2011, 12:44:43 AM »
Jesus Christ Jive Turkey either I'm drunk or you're amazing, or both. Dr. Handsome approves.
I'm drunk.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2011, 01:36:34 AM »
Jesus Christ Jive Turkey either I'm drunk or you're amazing, or both. Dr. Handsome approves.
Quite possibly both. I won't lie, I am amazing and booze only enhances that. Much in the same way blowjobs enhance women.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »
Expand Quote
where do you live?
[close]
I probably should have originally included the fact that where I live is often cited as being one of those great place to visit but wouldn't want to live cities too, being here permanently is definitely not for everyone.
And also it is literally in the middle of nowhere.

Hardly bum fuck bunghole-ville though.

Still doesn't change the fact that I think both LA and NY are awesome places to hang out for a week or two but there's no way I could live in either one and I know the same thing is often said about here too.

Having said all that I would take NY in the spring and fall and then LA in the summer and winter.

I"m not re-reading the whole thread... where is this?!
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

KPCT

• Rep: 14
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »
boiling meat?? like in water?
wut.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2011, 03:04:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
where do you live?
[close]
I probably should have originally included the fact that where I live is often cited as being one of those great place to visit but wouldn't want to live cities too, being here permanently is definitely not for everyone.
And also it is literally in the middle of nowhere.

Hardly bum fuck bunghole-ville though.

Still doesn't change the fact that I think both LA and NY are awesome places to hang out for a week or two but there's no way I could live in either one and I know the same thing is often said about here too.

Having said all that I would take NY in the spring and fall and then LA in the summer and winter.

[close]

I"m not re-reading the whole thread... where is this?!
Honolulu.

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2011, 03:43:11 PM »
I'll always love London, but other cities I found amazing are New York, Paris, Athens, Reykjavik, Stockholm, Sydney, Tokyo, Bangkok etc. People need to stop having an anal prolapse whenever someone says they prefer another city over the one that person is from and realise there is so much out there to discover. Citizens of the world and all that.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »
I'll always love London, but other cities I found amazing are New York, Paris, Athens, Reykjavik, Stockholm, Sydney, Tokyo, Bangkok etc. People need to stop having an anal prolapse whenever someone says they prefer another city over the one that person is from and realise there is so much out there to discover. Citizens of the world and all that.
Yeah. True. But LA really, trully does suck.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2011, 07:35:34 PM »

I really want to go to Reykjavik.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2011, 08:16:12 PM »
Never been to LA, I've lived in NYC and in New England most of my life....and I don't really have any desire to visit LA ? :-\.
I think its funny when one of the things people who aren't from this area say about NYC (or just the northeast in general, people say the same thing about Boston) is that people aren't friendly.

You can tell INSTANTLY when someone isn't from around here, they're the people who will try and start a random conversation with a stranger on the train or on the sidewalk and then act offended when they're brushed off. ?
Maybe its because I've lived in this area my entire life, but I honestly wouldn't have it any other way, and it makes me really uncomfortable when random people start talking to me, I just instantly think they're trying to jones me for something.

One of my friends went to school in the south for a year and transferred, said that it was unbearable the way people take their time and just stop and chat randomly all the time -- he said people thought he was the biggest douchebag just because he wouldn't want to do the ol' "walk and chat."

I feel like its the same way in California, all of the people I've met from there are really open and friendly the instant they meet you to the point where it just makes me uneasy.

I feel your friend’s pain. I’m from California and lived around the states and in Europe. ? From my experience it depends where in California you’re at. In the big cities most people keep to themselves, small areas, like where I live, some people like small talk. I lived in the South and middle America, I fuckin hated it. ? I don’t remember too much from the South since I was young but I spent most of my teenage years in middle America…fuckin people love to start conversations. ? I make the conversation awkward or say something that will end it, they’ll usually stop…some of them don’t get the hint.but

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »

I found all these cities amazing but Sydney and London didn't hold the same flare for me as the rest. It's probably just because I'm from the states and these cities don't hold a huge culture shock or anything like that but I still enjoyed them. Funny I say that then end up in NYC. The rest I felt were amazing. I'm most intrigued by Eastern Europe but I feel if I ever end up living in Europe again I could go for Paris.

Expand Quote
Never been to LA, I've lived in NYC and in New England most of my life....and I don't really have any desire to visit LA ? :-\.

You can tell INSTANTLY when someone isn't from around here, they're the people who will try and start a random conversation with a stranger on the train or on the sidewalk and then act offended when they're brushed off. ?

[close]
I feel your friend’s pain. I’m from California and lived around the states and in Europe. ? From my experience it depends where in California you’re at. In the big cities most people keep to themselves, small areas, like where I live, some people like small talk. I lived in the South and middle America, I fuckin hated it. ? I don’t remember too much from the South since I was young but I spent most of my teenage years in middle America…fuckin people love to start conversations. ? I make the conversation awkward or say something that will end it, they’ll usually stop…some of them don’t get the hint.but

I feel like this depends. For the most part, I don't want random people talking to me. The only time I'm stoked on this is if it's a hot girl or it's someone with a similar interest. Like if I'm on the train and some other guy with a skateboard asks me if I know where some park is or if I'm wearing a band t-shirt and someone tells me they're a fan too. I'm from the south and a lot of times I felt people were just being nosy there.  In big cities I feel like people tend to put up this wall but you could say it's necessary. Even if you're a decent looking guy just wanting say hey to some girl it's understandable she'd have her guard up considering how many kooks probably try to holler at her every day.
LA has it's share of kooks too but I think one of the reasons people are more open and chatty there is because they don't have to deal with them for most of their day. And the weather is always good. People get in their car and go where they're going so odds are there's some sort of association there.....like we both got in our cars and drove to the same coffee shop, we both got in our cars and drove to the same beach, etc... So it's a little lower on the scale of say, meeting someone at a house party and assuming they're decent because you have some social circle connection.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »
There's always exceptions. I wouldn't brush off a girl if she and I found an interest in each other, same goes for a strange that shares the same interest as me. It's rare a good conversation is started, most of the time it's mostly stupid shit.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2011, 09:16:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah. True. But LA really, trully does suck.

you suck.  my balls
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »
you suck.?  my balls
Subtle. I thought it was done with me just sucking when I saw the period, but then BAM! You followed up with "my balls". Whoa. Clearly you were going for the kill with that one.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
Expand Quote
you suck.?  my balls
[close]
Subtle. I thought it was done with me just sucking when I saw the period, but then BAM! You followed up with "my balls". Whoa. Clearly you were going for the kill with that one.

i was trying really hard to match up to your clever, insightful post of "La sucks"

also, you do suck my balls
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »
I don't think LA sucks, it's just very different from New York, or basically and East Coast city. People assume because it's another metropolis that it's going to have the same vibe as other cities and it doesn't really. The city itself is super spread out, and the mindset of the people there is world's apart from the people in NYC or wherever else. And the public transit is shit. 

I just flew through Reykjavik and I would love to go back there. It looked so sick.
I would really like to live live abroad for at least six months. If I can make that a possibility in the next few years, I think I will make that happen.

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2011, 12:31:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really want to go back with my board, it was like a hidden skate mecca. So many spots to skate everywhere and also the security hadn't seemed to turn against it yet, I saw kids playing skate in the mall without being bothered. Only downfall is the harsh winds, but thats to be expected I guess

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I really want to go back with my board, it was like a hidden skate mecca. So many spots to skate everywhere and also the security hadn't seemed to turn against it yet, I saw kids playing skate in the mall without being bothered. Only downfall is the harsh winds, but thats to be expected I guess

Wear a windbreaker. Then you can also break wind whenever you want.