Author Topic: Financial Crisis 2: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 3384 times)

Mouth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Financial Crisis 2: Electric Boogaloo
« on: August 08, 2011, 08:18:02 AM »
Anyone else expecting to be affected by this? The markets dropped 10% last week and are in free fall again today. Let's hope things don't get all 2007 up in this motherfucker. Especially seeing as we've already played all our economic stimuli cards.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Kab

• Rep: -38
Re: Financial Crisis 2: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:26:11 AM »
Down by the river...

kevbo999

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:44:21 AM »
I don't think "Mo Money" accurately describes this situation...  In the past 5 years alone I've noticed that "getting by" has gotten way harder.  The price of everything is skyrocketing and the opportunities are diminishing.  North America's "boost military & steal oil" plan is gonna bite us in the ass hard.  I need to get a trade or decent paying skill soon, otherwise I can forget about things like a house, car and retirement.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:52:44 AM »
My Netflix bill went up. What gives!

the ragamuffin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 49
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
I've been afraid to check my stocks for the past two weeks...

Also, I've been out of college for 2 and a half months and I am just now training for a 10-12 hour a week job this week for a survey research lab. I guess I'm doing better than some graduates but I've probably had 6 or 7 legitimate job interviews since I graduated, with one tomorrow, but the positions have been so damn competitive it's been extremely difficult to stand out. I feel like I've been going up against defunct CEO's with 10 years of experience. Not to mention I just got my student loan statement to turn the pressure up a notch.

At least I've still got a roof over my head and won't starve or anything; my idea of struggling is not being able to go out and/or mooching beers from my friends at bars. I've still got skating and occasional frisbee golf for some cheap thrills..

KPCT

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
Graduated from college in May as well, I've had a really hard time finding any full-time work (freelance is great but its not consistent enough for me to sign a lease anywhere..) and I expect its only going to get worse.

Living in my parents' house is kind of a bummer, my dad is the typical hard-working blue collar asshole so I feel like a dick for not being able to support myself at this point.

Sucks too because my homie in NYC is looking for a roommate but I just can't scrape the funds together to make it work.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
i was looking for the "fuck yall complainin about i been poor" sammy baca baker ad but i couldnt find it

TheFifthColumn

• Rep: -113
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »
S&P downgrades US debt for first time ever -> stock market tumbles -> investors pull money out of equities and invest in US debt, driving down yields.

But if debt is downgraded, wouldn't you expect yields to rise to offset the increased risk of investment?  This seems unusual... 

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »
too late to start buying gold?

The US debt is really $211 Trillion dollars and Social Security in the future looks to be in trouble...

""We've got 78 million baby boomers who are poised to collect, in about 15 to 20 years, about $40,000 per person. Multiply 78 million by $40,000 ? you're talking about more than $3 trillion a year just to give to a portion of the population," he says. "That's an enormous bill that's overhanging our heads, and Congress isn't focused on it."

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/06/139027615/a-national-debt-of-14-trillion-try-211-trillion?ft=1&f=1001

buy a crock-pot and a sack of rice because
we're gonna have to learn to eat like the rest of the world eats.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:19:15 PM by David »

mrgoufion

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 06:02:52 PM »
I am afraid to check my 401K. We not only have a troubled economy but then there is the deficit crisis. We need to curb the wasteful spending of our tax dollars and the fraud associated with unearned entitlements. I really hope we make it out of this.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »
To be honest, I'm nervous on what's going to happen. I'm unemployed and it looks like it will stay that way. I hope something gets fixed.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 09:46:26 PM »
politicians can't handle the truth....

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1699
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »
I am definitely worried about the future of America.  It really sucks that we haven't seen the "bottom" of the recession yet...

I guess we'll know when its near the bottom cause all the politicians will move to europe.

*Hey Rawb, if America implodes is it cool if I come up there fourahotminute?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 09:51:29 PM »
I am afraid to check my 401K. We not only have a troubled economy but then there is the deficit crisis. We need to curb the wasteful spending of our tax dollars and the fraud associated with unearned entitlements. I really hope we make it out of this.

i hope by "curb the wasteful spending" you mean ending the wars in iraq and afghanistan. the reason for the credit downgrade and the subsequent stock market dive is that there was absolutely no provisions for revenue increases in the debt ceiling "compromise." s&p the company that downgraded US credit said so:

"Compared with previous projections, our revised base case scenario now assumes that the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, due to expire by the end of 2012, remain in place. We have changed our assumption on this because the majority of Republicans in Congress continue to resist any measure that would raise revenues, a position we believe Congress reinforced by passing the act..."

the US cannot possibly begin to balance it's debt without revenue increases (most likely from the under-taxed upper class and the nearly untaxed corporate sector) or by cutting defense spending, both of which are totally off the table for republicans. on the other hand, spending tends to create jobs if it's done in a smart fashion. things like infrastructure creation improves the efficiency of commerce, lowers prices and creates jobs that are unable to be outsourced. if you look at countries that have fared ok during the global recession it's places like germany that have had a balanced approach and weren't afraid to spend in order to create growth and expand their revenue base.

S.E.

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 12:03:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i hope by "curb the wasteful spending" you mean ending the wars in iraq and afghanistan. the reason for the credit downgrade and the subsequent stock market dive is that there was absolutely no provisions for revenue increases in the debt ceiling "compromise." s&p the company that downgraded US credit said so:

"Compared with previous projections, our revised base case scenario now assumes that the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, due to expire by the end of 2012, remain in place. We have changed our assumption on this because the majority of Republicans in Congress continue to resist any measure that would raise revenues, a position we believe Congress reinforced by passing the act..."

the US cannot possibly begin to balance it's debt without revenue increases (most likely from the under-taxed upper class and the nearly untaxed corporate sector) or by cutting defense spending, both of which are totally off the table for republicans. on the other hand, spending tends to create jobs if it's done in a smart fashion. things like infrastructure creation improves the efficiency of commerce, lowers prices and creates jobs that are unable to be outsourced. if you look at countries that have fared ok during the global recession it's places like germany that have had a balanced approach and weren't afraid to spend in order to create growth and expand their revenue base.

At this point, how about we just STOP spending money.  How are the workers who will repair and rebuild our infrastructure going to be paid? If your referring to state and federal workers who normally work those types of jobs then its usually done by tax payers money....which in turn is the government spending money.   Stop the wars, stop spending, stop blaming the libs, the GOP, the tea partiers, and get to fucking work on a plan thats going to fix this shit or lifes going to get really fucking gay.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 03:59:01 AM »
you're a dumbass.

S.E.

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »
Times are fucking tough. I have been out of a full time job for a couple years now (I work an on call job with hours ranging from none to 40+  a week). I have been looking for full time employment and can't fucking find any. Jobs that I would have gotten no problem 5 years ago will not even consider me.
The U.S.A government is so fucking corrupt and they are not even trying to hide it anymore.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:45 AM »
That's not America.

That's not even Mexico.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
buy a crock-pot and a sack of rice because
we're gonna have to learn to eat like the rest of the world eats.

I've been doing this for awhile. I'll give you guys some good recipes:

Jungle Stew

-Make a cup of rice
-Microwave some beans
-Put the beans (and its sawce) on top of the rice. Bon appetit

The New World Specialty

This ones for all yall in the New World

-Wrap up a potato in tin foil and bake it in an oven (try and use a mini oven to save money on your energy bill)
-Microwave some beans
-Prepare some corn kernels
-Mash up your baked potato, put the beans (and its sawce) on top of your mashed potato, then coat your meal with the corn kernels. Bon appetit

Who says you can't eat gourmet during a recession?
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »
Cook more, eat out less, sell drugs

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 11:26:51 AM »
i'm always bitching about the whole team sports mentality to politics in the us and how each party's static approach to problems is regular... if you are a person who could never vote democrat or republican, then you are part of the problem. people need to start looking at policies and not parties and need to realize that we can always apply the same approach and so both parties policies are too simplistic to be effective.

we need systemic change that starts with smarter voters. as long as we, the voting public, continue to by into the political posturing and all the political non-sense we will continue to have these kinds of blunders and sooner or later we will run out of money. the errosion of the middle class will continue. blue collar is almost a thing of the past. and we can't fix any of the problems because 60% of our voting public are brain dead idiots that always vote for their team.

you want to see some real change, stop giving your vote away.

matt.

• Rep: -6
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »
americans need to start looking who is behind the 2 parties.

Buddha

• Rep: -205
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 12:01:18 AM »
i'm always bitching about the whole team sports mentality to politics in the us and how each party's static approach to problems is regular... if you are a person who could never vote democrat or republican, then you are part of the problem. people need to start looking at policies and not parties and need to realize that we can always apply the same approach and so both parties policies are too simplistic to be effective.

we need systemic change that starts with smarter voters. as long as we, the voting public, continue to by into the political posturing and all the political non-sense we will continue to have these kinds of blunders and sooner or later we will run out of money. the errosion of the middle class will continue. blue collar is almost a thing of the past. and we can't fix any of the problems because 60% of our voting public are brain dead idiots that always vote for their team.

you want to see some real change, stop giving your vote away.

You can make every idiot voter a Rhodes Scholar but the act of voting doesn't really change the dynamics of party politics, just which team wins.  The options would be the same whether the American public were certified genius or mentally regular.  It would be like educating obese people on nutrition but only giving them the meal options of either big macs or donuts and expecting change.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
not true and not just because of the obvious fact that we don't have to vote for either of the major parties

just look at what the tea party did. you think there's something special about those morons? they don't even understand the historical figures that they are using for their cause but still got a lot done by just giving a shit about change.

or better yet, look at egypt

all it takes is getting involved and letting the politicians know that we are paying attention. all this mess and not a single protest and very unlikely that party liners on either side will stray. this is why the system is the way it is and what needs to change to fix it. a democracy is only as strong as the people that make it up. and if you want to do the chomsky thing then an oligarchy is only as strong as the people who ratify it. either way, we've got it so easy in the country. we can change things without having to be massacred during protests.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 08:32:59 AM »
with you....it sounds regular, but in Canada, I've voted for pretty much every party at one particular level or another.  So much today has to do with towing of the party line, maintaining the status quo.....

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2221
  • computer says no
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 10:19:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

At this point, how about we just STOP spending money.  How are the workers who will repair and rebuild our infrastructure going to be paid? If your referring to state and federal workers who normally work those types of jobs then its usually done by tax payers money....which in turn is the government spending money.   Stop the wars, stop spending, stop blaming the libs, the GOP, the tea partiers, and get to fucking work on a plan thats going to fix this shit or lifes going to get really fucking gay.

If the "Tea Party" weren't currently writing the narrative coming out of the Hill, we'd probably have seen some spending, but you have to look at history and exactly what you're asking for.

Stop spending: on what? Defense as mentioned is a good start since it's actually on the budget, and we're using too much of that money for overpriced privatized services in the theater of war. Outside of that, if we cut domestic spending, that means more unemployment (just see attacks on teachers, and other public-employee unions). Cuts in education, healthcare, and pretty much everything that makes the average American comfortable result in job loss, loss of job security, and increases the tax burden on the non-rich.

People have different takes on what brought us out of the Great Depression, but one thing that can't be argued is the benefit that government jobs and government contracted jobs did for people's personal income and the economy itself. Currently, we have major infrastructure problems... from roads to bridges falling down, to potential investments in things like light rails (something my neocon Governor decided not to engage in, as it was Obama's plan, even though business owners in NOLA and baton Rouge where overwhelmingly supportive of it).

Anyway, get some revenue generation by repealing the previous administration's tax cuts applied to people making $250k or $500k, or even $1 mill, and take away subsidies for oil companies. I don't know how we justify paying an overwhelmingly profitable industry that we wind up paying again at the pump.

I'm also an advocate of some degrees of protectionism. Burn up the free trade agreements, bring back pre-Reagan level import tariffs, give "American" corporations penalties for operating out of mailboxes in the Cayman Islands, and give them incentives for hiring domestically.

Back to the government spending... it all depends how how the money is used. Creating jobs that relate to infrastructure means more taxpayers to generate revenue, and the better infrastructure, entitlements, health services, and everything that come with that make for a stronger middle class.

Over the past 30 years, we've been told that we need to let the mythical "free market" decide, but the free market's decisions have been pretty fucking fucked. It makes for great bumper stickers, but there's no such thing as a free market, and all of its "decisions" are antithetical to human beings (as the non-human market has no allegiance to country or people).

I agree that there need to be cuts, but very discriminate ones. The US needs to spend money here to make money (as with any investment), but the far right's plan seems to compete with sweatshop-riddled markets by turning the US into one. Well, maybe not sweatshops, but I have heard them talk about a "service based" economy, which simply makes no fucking sense whatsoever. The US was founded on industry, so the government needs to take steps at keeping and revitalizing industry (manus, textiles, etc) rather can cut the fuck out of everything.

You can pay your mortgage by cutting out your car payment, but then you lose the car.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:28:04 AM by grimcity »

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »

I'm also an advocate of some degrees of protectionism. Burn up the free trade agreements,

Commie.

Lower minimum wage.
We nead moar sweatshops and maquiladoras.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:30:51 PM by David »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2221
  • computer says no
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 12:05:41 PM »
...that would be funny if it weren't the actual reaction I get in certain company (irl). haha

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 12:22:33 PM »
Back to the government spending... it all depends how how the money is used. Creating jobs that relate to infrastructure means more taxpayers to generate revenue, and the better infrastructure, entitlements, health services, and everything that come with that make for a stronger middle class.

Over the past 30 years, we've been told that we need to let the mythical "free market" decide, but the free market's decisions have been pretty fucking fucked. It makes for great bumper stickers, but there's no such thing as a free market, and all of its "decisions" are antithetical to human beings (as the non-human market has no allegiance to country or people).

I agree that there need to be cuts, but very discriminate ones. The US needs to spend money here to make money (as with any investment), but the far right's plan seems to compete with sweatshop-riddled markets by turning the US into one. Well, maybe not sweatshops, but I have heard them talk about a "service based" economy, which simply makes no fucking sense whatsoever. The US was founded on industry, so the government needs to take steps at keeping and revitalizing industry (manus, textiles, etc) rather can cut the fuck out of everything.
such true words.