Author Topic: rolled ankle?  (Read 13741 times)

floop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
Re: rolled ankle?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Day 3 baby

video
[close]

are you wearing a cowboy hat in this video?

heh.  no.  i should be though

watching that is painful.  i've come a long way.  fuck rolled ankles!
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2022, 04:16:05 AM »
Hi!

I'm 36 and didn't really skated or had actual physical activities for years. I had 3 little flatground sessions in the last 10 days for a total of 2 or 3 hours and yesterday I twisted my front foot ankle. It didn't really hurt in the moment but I decided to stop here and go back home. The pain really came tonight. The ankle isn't swollen and walking is OK as long as my foot is straight, it just hurts a little bit. However if I twist my ankle around, put on or take off my shoes the pain is more intense.

How long should I stay away from skating? 3 days? A week? Until the pain is gone? Just 'flat' tricks for some times?

Any further advice?

Thank you!

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2022, 04:23:01 AM »
Hi!

I'm 36 and didn't really skated or had actual physical activities for years. I had 3 little flatground sessions in the last 10 days for a total of 2 or 3 hours and yesterday I twisted my front foot ankle. It didn't really hurt in the moment but I decided to stop here and go back home. The pain really came tonight. The ankle isn't swollen and walking is OK as long as my foot is straight, it just hurts a little bit. However if I twist my ankle around, put on or take off my shoes the pain is more intense.

How long should I stay away from skating? 3 days? A week? Until the pain is gone? Just 'flat' tricks for some times?

Any further advice?

Thank you!

It'll be fine before you know it. Rest ice compression elevation. I'd wait for it to heal like 83% and then skate transition.

Solex

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2022, 06:20:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Hi!

Any further advice?

Thank you!
[close]

It'll be fine before you know it. Rest ice compression elevation. I'd wait for it to heal like 83% and then skate transition.
OK thanks.

However, I just checked and I don't see any status indicator on my ankle!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 02:30:07 PM by Solex »

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2022, 07:02:00 AM »
Has anyone tried flossing bands for ankle or knee injuries? There’s a few studies which allude to increased recovery time.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2022, 11:10:13 AM »
Has anyone tried flossing bands for ankle or knee injuries? There’s a few studies which allude to increased recovery time.

30 years ago I was told to use pantyhose so I guess I've been using them for 30 years. Now I have all shapes and sizes of resistance bands even a couple of sets at work. They work good at getting in there and lightly working your ligaments and tendons without doing more harm

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2022, 03:00:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

30 years ago I was told to use pantyhose so I guess I've been using them for 30 years. Now I have all shapes and sizes of resistance bands even a couple of sets at work. They work good at getting in there and lightly working your ligaments and tendons without doing more harm

Do you use resistance bands as a flossing band? Like this? I never thought of that, guess it'd work really well if you cut one up.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1440
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2022, 09:06:44 PM »
I should give resistance bands for my ankles a try

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2022, 11:30:32 AM »
Resistance bands are the only reason why my ankle finally healed enough to skate again. A pack of three are only a few bucks at Target. They also help greatly with shoulder and wrist exercises for the desk jockeys among us.

Flossing seems pseudoscientific but maybe it works, dunno
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2022, 11:59:52 AM »
Resistance bands are the only reason why my ankle finally healed enough to skate again. A pack of three are only a few bucks at Target. They also help greatly with shoulder and wrist exercises for the desk jockeys among us.

Hmmm, yeah, a physical therapist had me floss my knees and do squats. It was an odd sensation as if the tendons (which are too tight in my knees) were being stretched. There's some literature and studies supporting their use, but the N is too low to draw any concrete evidence. But fuck it, they were 30 dollars. I spend way more on braces/supplements which did seemingly nothing. Chronic pain sure leads to desperation.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2022, 12:31:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hmmm, yeah, a physical therapist had me floss my knees and do squats. It was an odd sensation as if the tendons (which are too tight in my knees) were being stretched. There's some literature and studies supporting their use, but the N is too low to draw any concrete evidence. But fuck it, they were 30 dollars. I spend way more on braces/supplements which did seemingly nothing. Chronic pain sure leads to desperation.

I’ve spent more on dubious compression sleeves and CBD creams, so no judgment.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Brguy

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2022, 04:03:37 PM »

Same here, before doing exercises with the band I'd be afraid of doing kickflips because they'd pull so hard on my ligaments, doing the alphabet my ass, twisted ankles need to grow stronger.

biaherl

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2022, 11:35:46 AM »
Do you use resistance bands as a flossing band? Like this? I never thought of that, guess it'd work really well if you cut one up.

My bad. I had a PT that had cut to size resistance bands that she called flossing strips. She never used them as compression sleeves on me so I thought that flossing bands were cut to size resistance bands

gin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2022, 11:46:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My bad. I had a PT that had cut to size resistance bands that she called flossing strips. She never used them as compression sleeves on me so I thought that flossing bands were cut to size resistance bands

I’ve actually done the opposite with using flossing bands for resistance instead when my old one snapped. Has worked really well as a replacement. Flossed my calves for a while when I was skating for hours every day but I can’t say it was noticeably different. Placebos are a hell of a drug though, if you believe something works some cool brain chemistry will enable it to work.

Solex

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2022, 10:32:32 AM »
Hi!

Any further advice?

Thank you!
It's been 3 weeks.

My ankle/foot doesn't hurts in everyday life, just a bit in some specific situations or when I twist my foot around quite far, so I decided to took my board for half an hour to see how it goes.

I can cruise around and do small ollies no problem, but as soon as I have to flick my foot to perform a kickflip or heelflip trick, the top of the foot and the ankle immediatly hurt...

What should I do? More rest? Exercises? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:49:56 AM by Solex »

biaherl

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2022, 10:53:31 AM »
Draw the alphabet in the air with your big toe just using your ankle to move, then do it backwards. Do this every day in the morning then eventually at night as well or whenever it feels stiff

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2022, 12:02:32 PM »
That sounds like a bad sprain instead of a casual roll. Idk, i never really count time for light ankle injuries. My worst sprain was like 6 months of recovery. Sounds like at this point you can probably get away with skating transition though. If it still hurts, keep resting!

Solex

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2022, 02:35:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

What's strange is that it was barely swollen, to the extent that I didn't noticed it the first day. It hurt a bit sometimes but I was really careful.

I had a really big sprain 5 years ago and it was a whole different story. My ankle instantly became a pomelo and I couldn't put my foot on the ground during weeks (I had to do rehabilitation and everything, it took several months to heal).

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2022, 07:50:46 PM »
Can’t speak to its scientific validity but I swear by Voltaren. It used to be prescription only for arthritis but OTC now. Topical cream that doesn’t burn or smell. Just looks like thick cum before rubbed into the skin.

Got a prescription for my busted elbow and used the excess on my rolled ankle and I swear it sped up the healing process by a week or two. Think a tube is less than $10 at your drug store and would recommend it completely.

Edit: that’s only after proper rest and PT. No cream is going to substitute that. But great for after the swelling and discoloration go away.