Author Topic: Why do people hate on the berrics so hard?  (Read 26882 times)

YoungWilliam309

Re: Why do people hate on the berrics so hard?
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »
Yeah i dont really see what there is to hate on. They skate. I skate. Thats all that matters to me. I mean they put out free content so yeah i have nothing against them

its a shame that only a small portion of slap thinks this way. i could care less about berra or how much of a kook he is. if im bored and wanna watch something the berrics has free content. not that its the ONLY thing to watch, but its a viable option.

BobDigi864

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2011, 02:47:01 AM »
I slacked off on skateboarding for a couple years and recently got back into skating often. During that time when I wasn't skating much, I think the berrics was the only thing really keeping me attached to skateboarding, not letting me fully lose interest in it. I skate more than I probably ever do now, and it's mostly because I just started skating often and fell back in love, but I don't know if I'd even care about skating right now if it weren't for me watching the Berrics everyday for the year or so I slacked. Plus it's a cool way to see how your favorite pros are.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2011, 05:46:19 AM »
besides the berrics/berra hate, is it true that berra was the first guy to do a heelflip on vert?
can anyone confirm this?

Siem van Woerkom

• Rep: -8
    • Mpora avatar image
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
besides the berrics/berra hate, is it true that berra was the first guy to do a heelflip on vert?
can anyone confirm this?

Thats something you cant really confirm i think but it could be, dude was heavy into vert back then!
Siem Van Woerkom - Mpora Skateboard    Expert

Siem van Woerkom

• Rep: -8
    • Mpora avatar image
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »
I really dont think people hate the berrics, maybe its just the feeling that you'd rather be outside (which is what everyone here agrees upon i presume..) + a mix of jealousy i think :P
Siem Van Woerkom - Mpora Skateboard    Expert

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
I really dont think people hate the berrics, maybe its just the feeling that you'd rather be outside (which is what everyone here agrees upon i presume..) + a mix of jealousy i think :P

I was gonna be all sarcastic and be like "oh, you hit the nail on the head with that one," but actually the 'being outside' thing sort of holds water.  It's not just 'outside' though, it's authentic street skating, as opposed to indoor park montages.  It lacks integrity and authenticity, ESPECIALLY since it's mostly streetstyle obstacles, painted gray and crammed in a warehouse.

In a similar vein, that's why no one liked Berra's practice of using fake street spots in a video part.  It doesn't ring true.  I used to see ads and footage of Oyola skating janky-ass street spot/junk spot shit that he made out of pallets and roadsigns and shit, but it wasn't trying to disguise itself, ya know?

http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/images/product_images/thumbnails_180/tru003_scarab_multi_tool_keyring_300main.jpg This thing is handy as shit.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

brza

• Rep: -1
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2011, 11:17:49 AM »
skateparks are beat, unless you were John Cardiel.

YoungWilliam309

« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was gonna be all sarcastic and be like "oh, you hit the nail on the head with that one," but actually the 'being outside' thing sort of holds water.  It's not just 'outside' though, it's authentic street skating, as opposed to indoor park montages.  It lacks integrity and authenticity, ESPECIALLY since it's mostly streetstyle obstacles, painted gray and crammed in a warehouse.

In a similar vein, that's why no one liked Berra's practice of using fake street spots in a video part.  It doesn't ring true.  I used to see ads and footage of Oyola skating janky-ass street spot/junk spot shit that he made out of pallets and roadsigns and shit, but it wasn't trying to disguise itself, ya know?

i can understand that, but really its still skateboarding. i wouldnt film a video part with footage from the berrics or any other indoor park, but you know theres days where its too hot to skate, or your getting kicked outta spots, etc. if you wanna skate somewhere whenever you want, you can goto a park and where shit is MADE to be skated. smooth ground, perfect ledges, etc. as opposed to skating a sick spot but having to dodge cracks & shit like that. for filming & shit your gonna want spots like that cuz it looks cool, but not every single day is some fully flared "film-your-ender" type of day. sometimes you just wanna skate without worrying about anything, or wanna get a new trick on lock before you take it to something with rougher terrain or whatever. thats what parks are for. thats prolly why so many pros skate the berrics. you can just be mellow & learn/practice shit, as well as kick it with other skaters

one of the best things about skateboarding is just sessioning a spot w/ your friends. you can do that in the streets, or atta skatepark. either way that vibe is still gonna be there. ill agree that if i had to pick between watching street or park footage for the rest of my life id pick street footage, but that doesnt mean park skating or park edits are any less "legit" than anything else. a sick trick is a sick trick. period.

the shit thats annoying is when people HATE on something like park skating or whatever. its one thing if you dont like it but then people tend to act like complete assholes over their opinions, & try to insult those who may think differently, when most of the time their own opinions are just based on what "everyone else" is saying.

Dishonest John

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
  • Nya Ah Ahh!
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i can understand that, but really its still skateboarding. i wouldnt film a video part with footage from the berrics or any other indoor park, but you know theres days where its too hot to skate, or your getting kicked outta spots, etc. if you wanna skate somewhere whenever you want, you can goto a park and where shit is MADE to be skated. smooth ground, perfect ledges, etc. as opposed to skating a sick spot but having to dodge cracks & shit like that. for filming & shit your gonna want spots like that cuz it looks cool, but not every single day is some fully flared "film-your-ender" type of day. sometimes you just wanna skate without worrying about anything, or wanna get a new trick on lock before you take it to something with rougher terrain or whatever. thats what parks are for. thats prolly why so many pros skate the berrics. you can just be mellow & learn/practice shit, as well as kick it with other skaters

one of the best things about skateboarding is just sessioning a spot w/ your friends. you can do that in the streets, or atta skatepark. either way that vibe is still gonna be there. ill agree that if i had to pick between watching street or park footage for the rest of my life id pick street footage, but that doesnt mean park skating or park edits are any less "legit" than anything else. a sick trick is a sick trick. period.

the shit thats annoying is when people HATE on something like park skating or whatever. its one thing if you dont like it but then people tend to act like complete assholes over their opinions, & try to insult those who may think differently, when most of the time their own opinions are just based on what "everyone else" is saying.

yeah, i'm sayin, i don't like it.  so there ya go.

if you think pros film battle commanders and shit at berrics because it's a nice, indoor, crack-free spot you are blind homie.  the berrics isn't your local community skatepark.

that "a trick is a trick" argument is bullshit.  If you can't hack it at a street spot as opposed to the park, you are lacking as a skateboarder.

Now start talking about tools fucker.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

LemonParty

• Rep: -112
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2011, 10:09:10 PM »
yeah, i'm sayin, i don't like it.  so there ya go.

if you think pros film battle commanders and shit at berrics because it's a nice, indoor, crack-free spot you are blind homie.  the berrics isn't your local community skatepark.

that "a trick is a trick" argument is bullshit.  If you can't hack it at a street spot as opposed to the park, you are lacking as a skateboarder.

Now start talking about tools fucker.

obviously a battle commander isnt a relaxed walk in the park, id bet money that alot of battle commanders/recruits have more views than any video part they put out previously combined. But its not like every pro that goes to the berrics is there just to film a battle commander...

I guarantee you any trick any pro can do at a skatepark, they can do on the streets. Ledges people skate in parts are just as good as the ledges in skateparks (see barcelona or china footage for example. The marble ledges in china are probably better than a skatepark). Only difference between the two is that one you get kicked out at and other is in a area designated as a skate park.

With the level of bust that most street spots are these days, progressing via skating only street is practically impossible, especially at a am/pro level. The days of a love park or emb where u had a skate plaza not designed for skateboaridng with no security are over. Berrics just allows the pros that are going there anyways to skate get extra coverage.

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

YoungWilliam309

« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2011, 11:23:42 AM »

so if someone can do a switch hardflip back tail ona park ledge, but havent gotten it ona street ledge yet, theyre lacking as a skateboarder? when i talk about skating parks as opposed to street you have a better opportunity to PRACTICE your tricks so you can take them to the streets. youll learn a trick much faster atta nice smooth park than you will in the streets, so once youve got it on lock at the park you can take it to the streets where the terrain & setup may be more difficult, and landing the trick will be that much easier because youve already gotten consistent with it somewhere else. its like you "study" at the park & then "take the test" in the streets.

battle commanders & shit are obviously used as another way to get coverage, but its not like every single pro thats skated there has one. if the berrics wasnt a place for pros to practice together & hang out it wouldve never gotten as big as it is now. like i said earlier, ive seen that shit since it first started when they barely had any videos. no trickipedia, FTF, none of that shit. just 2-3 battle commanders & a few recruits on a basic ass website. over time more & more pros started skating there regularly, which made for more footage which then gave them more views & now its expanded into what it is today.

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2011, 11:35:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

so if someone can do a switch hardflip back tail ona park ledge, but havent gotten it ona street ledge yet, theyre lacking as a skateboarder? when i talk about skating parks as opposed to street you have a better opportunity to PRACTICE your tricks so you can take them to the streets. youll learn a trick much faster atta nice smooth park than you will in the streets, so once youve got it on lock at the park you can take it to the streets where the terrain & setup may be more difficult, and landing the trick will be that much easier because youve already gotten consistent with it somewhere else. its like you "study" at the park & then "take the test" in the streets.

battle commanders & shit are obviously used as another way to get coverage, but its not like every single pro thats skated there has one. if the berrics wasnt a place for pros to practice together & hang out it wouldve never gotten as big as it is now. like i said earlier, ive seen that shit since it first started when they barely had any videos. no trickipedia, FTF, none of that shit. just 2-3 battle commanders & a few recruits on a basic ass website. over time more & more pros started skating there regularly, which made for more footage which then gave them more views & now its expanded into what it is today.

These are some nicely articulated and well thought out ideas. Well done. All the same, I heard the berrics ships children to Arab princes to be sold into white slavery after they are bangin' ready.
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2011, 09:30:06 PM »
All the same, I heard the berrics ships children to Arab princes to be sold into white slavery after they are bangin' ready.

I've heard this as well so you know it's true.

In other news:

BAM! PLASMA CUTTER!

I miss my high school welding class.

Dishonest John

• SLAP Pal
  • Nya Ah Ahh!
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »
Because precision matters

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2011, 02:24:10 AM »
Because precision matters

...in measuring the size of your junk.

Mad Max

« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2012, 12:43:28 AM »
Sorry for resuscitating a shit topic but I noticed that you can access the backend of the berrics...

http://admin.theberrics.com/media_files

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2012, 12:54:13 AM »
Sorry for resuscitating a shit topic but I noticed that you can access the backend of the berrics...

No it's cool, I am glad you brought back the tool thread. I need to do some precision wood cutting for artistic purposes (on probably inch thick wood). Anyone have any suggestions?

janky858

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2012, 04:04:41 AM »
off the grid is tight, probs cuz there not skating the skatepark.... i heard the whole  "first try fridays" thing is kinda on the sketchy side. some re-dos have definitely gone down...

Dishonest John

• SLAP Pal
  • Nya Ah Ahh!
« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2012, 07:20:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
No it's cool, I am glad you brought back the tool thread. I need to do some precision wood cutting for artistic purposes (on probably inch thick wood). Anyone have any suggestions?

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2012, 08:10:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

a pretty standard coping saw should do just fine.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2012, 11:32:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

That was my first though but I need to do some pretty precise cuts with sharp angles and curves. I did a little research and this was the best and most affordable thing I could come up with. I usually thought of Dremels as dinky and very unmanly tools. Then again, I want to use it for a dinky and very unmanly use.

Maybe I will get a new circular saw when I buy it just to maintain some semblance of manhood. Or maybe I will buy the tool you suggested Dishonest John, that is pretty manly.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:33:59 PM by happenstance »

degobra

• Rep: -2
    • Flickr. avatar image
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
walmart sells 20dollar jigsaws, i use it for woodcutting it okay just have to replace the blades more often in my opinion.

johnnymousedoom

« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »
hello long time fan of tools here, first time poster about tools.
I now have a job and stuff, I am getting over a bad break up. My question is what are the right tools to make the perfect little benches that anthony papallardo does?
I want to make shit load of benches. I want to make over 3,000 of them

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
That was my first though but I need to do some pretty precise cuts with sharp angles and curves. I did a little research and this was the best and most affordable thing I could come up with. I usually thought of Dremels as dinky and very unmanly tools. Then again, I want to use it for a dinky and very unmanly use.

Maybe I will get a new circular saw when I buy it just to maintain some semblance of manhood. Or maybe I will buy the tool you suggested Dishonest John, that is pretty manly.

Manly or not, that dremel video just sold me.  I'm buying one, even though I have no use for it right now.  I have to cut 3/4 of an inch off the handle bars of my motorcycle today.  I was gonna use a hack saw, but now I'm guessing there may be something way fucking cooler to use.  Any suggestions?  Maybe I could rent something rediculous from Home Depot that has no business cutting a tiny piece of steel like handle bars.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2012, 05:04:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Manly or not, that dremel video just sold me.  I'm buying one, even though I have no use for it right now.  I have to cut 3/4 of an inch off the handle bars of my motorcycle today.  I was gonna use a hack saw, but now I'm guessing there may be something way fucking cooler to use.  Any suggestions?  Maybe I could rent something rediculous from Home Depot that has no business cutting a tiny piece of steel like handle bars.

mbquant

« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2012, 05:29:34 PM »
The only thing more boring than the Berrics is really long post about why people are hating on the Berrics.

I'm a psychologist in training, so this is my all time favorite tool. The lobotomizer!

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal