Author Topic: Anthony Pappalardo Off The Grid  (Read 31442 times)

cringe.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Anthony Pappalardo Off The Grid
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Who does that Velvet Underground cover? That's my question.
[close]

I think it was Sonic Youth, but I've never heard it before.

yep^

http://www.mrtzc-download-server1.asia/CRNKa9.mrtzcmp3

The Pied Piper of Tucson

« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2011, 06:52:20 PM »
"i wish i could buy stock in things like 'pappalardo threads on slap being mad controversial' "

skateordie

• Rep: -40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2011, 07:24:15 PM »
doesn't some kid ollie the same fence pops ollied in this, in the newest ny sewer clip?

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »
doesn't some kid ollie the same fence pops ollied in this, in the newest ny sewer clip?

noticed that too.
and both landings seemed kinda equally sketchy-ish.
@idealhandmades

LemonParty

• Rep: -112
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2011, 08:28:19 PM »
 pops is the best skater ever. hes just having fun and doing whatever he wants to do on a skateboard. If that means keeping it basic and true to what he wants to do, so what. Sure what hes put out recenetly its not the best footage in world, but these things are hardly a testement to what hes really doing behind the scenes. All of these off the grids have been just fucking around footage, some interpret it differnetly then others, but nobody has taken it seriously (maybe chaz orteez, but i didnt watch his so i wouldnt know).

While i have my doubts about pappalardo, i think largely it comes from him not wanting to advertise himself like other skaters do, and sponsors that down for that and not saying "you must have 3 ads in a magazine per year or we kick you off". I think thats probably something to be more stoked on then to hate on. Pappalardo and the way his sponsors treat him is like what skateboarding was about in the 80s and 90s and shit, where it was just go out and skate and maybe film a trick once in a while. A time when skateboarding was never an obligation and a job, like it is for so many other skaters in the world today. Obviously though being a pro skater comes with responsibilities, but business is business. If pops is still selling boards and making money for his sponsors, despite not putting out footage, then why shouldnt he be getting paid?

The whole pops mystery will be resolved in the chocolate video. His part is honestly one that im most hyped for, have no idea what to expect.

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »
pops just does his thing - this was the most creative off-the-grid artistically due to the trippy fucked up late night brooklyn shit - which i think made it awesome. i cant tell you a single trick anyone did in their off the grid videos.. its just dorking around.

also - i dont really think chaz was taking shit that seriously with his off the grid - if chaz skated like that all the time people on here might actually like him, somewhat

wesconian

• Rep: -10
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »
If pops kickflips in a street and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?

theotits beezy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »
I like him, but I thought it was boring too. �I expect more from someone who is able to make a living off of skateboarding. �This would have been better if it were Ricky Oyola. �At least he would have put some heart into it.

this.

this guys has done little more than ollie for the last couple of years & he's supposed to be a professional skateboarder & gets paid? everybody on this message board should be pro then. if you have a job & you slack off, you get fired. skating & getting paid to do it, i feel, should be the same. that's why you're called a professional skateboarder, you have the ability to do above what the rest of the skate community can do. kick this guy off & give someone else out of the thousands of no names that're busting they're ass off a chance.

not only did this suck, this guy's career for the last few years sucks. it's a shame, his part in i.e. is one of my most favorite parts EVER.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2011, 10:28:16 PM »
this guys has done little more than ollie for the last couple of years & he's supposed to be a professional skateboarder & gets paid? everybody on this message board should be pro then. if you have a job & you slack off, you get fired. skating & getting paid to do it, i feel, should be the same. that's why you're called a professional skateboarder, you have the ability to do above what the rest of the skate community can do. kick this guy off & give someone else out of the thousands of no names that're busting they're ass off a chance.

Ability alone, a pro does not make.

Pop's past is what got him notoriety, which is what generates sales of products he represents, which eventually lead to him going "pro", and so long as the name Pappalardo can generate interest, he'll make money off of his skateboarding (no matter how limited, sparse or lack-luster it gets).
Skateboarding already has plenty of guys in it that can "do above what the rest of the skate community can do".
And I still enjoy watching (some of) them.
But I also enjoy watching someone who's been that in the past, but now approaches their skating in a different way.
The stance you've chosen to take is just like those people that say "how is this art?! its just a bunch of splatters on a canvas! I could make that!" after seeing a Jackson Pollock painting.

And if that's too much of a faggyhipsterartist-like interpretation, then lemme approach it from a competitive sports angle.
Michael Jordan still has pro model shoes dropping for Nike.
And if a video of him just leisurely shooting hoops at a court in Brooklyn at 4 am dropped, I wouldn't complain about how he wasn't working on his windmill 360's, or how some random kid from a college team is "busting his ass" so much harder than he is now, or how he hasn't played in, or won, a game in years.

I'd just watch the old guy shoot the ball around the best he can, the way he wants.
@idealhandmades

theotits beezy

« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pop's past is what got him notoriety, which is what generates sales of products he represents, which eventually lead to him going "pro", and so long as the name Pappalardo can generate interest, he'll make money off of his skateboarding (no matter how limited, sparse or lack-luster it gets).
Skateboarding already has plenty of guys in it that can "do above what the rest of the skate community can do".
But I also enjoy watching someone who's been that in the past, but now approaches their skating in a different way.
The stance you've chosen to take is just like those people that say "how is this art?! its just a bunch of splatters on a canvas! I could make that!" after seeing a Jackson Pollock painting.

And if that's too much of a faggyhipsterartist-like interpretation, then lemme approach it from a competitive sports angle.
And if a video of him just leisurely shooting hoops at a court in Brooklyn at 4 am dropped, I wouldn't complain about how he wasn't working on his windmill 360's, or how some random kid from a college team is "busting his ass" so much harder than he is now, or how he hasn't played in, or won, a game in years.

I'd just watch the old guy shoot the ball around the best he can, the way he wants.

how can you even compare pops' career to jordans? jordan's career shits on pops'. compare jordan's career to someone like koston & that might be a better comparison. but koston is still busting his ass off. pops' career didn't even scratch koston's before he decided to go half assed. not even half assed more like no assed. i don't even remember most of his stuff as "pro". everything i remember of him was him as an am. i feel pro's have to respect that they can even earn a good living off of skateboarding & keep doing it to the best of their abilities, like koston, because a few years ago that shit was not possible. him not putting any effort into his career as a pro is basically shitting on everybody who kept skating alive even though they weren't making shit.

respect where skating came from & how far it's gone. this dude takes being a paid professional skateboarder for granted. 100000%

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2011, 10:46:34 PM »
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

you like pops or you dont - pretty simple

theotits beezy

« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

you like pops or you dont - pretty simple

my friend, you are completely missing the point of a message board.
if everybody had nothing but "i hate pops" or "i like pops" to say, this place wouldn't be the slap message boards.
we are but only humans, & we as a whole have 789h23r9hj8j23r different opinions on any single topic.
a message board is a healthy place to discuss these opinions.
so i say debate on!

but if i had to say anything linear to what you think people should say... i hate what pops has become.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:07:36 PM by theotits beezy »

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2011, 11:11:50 PM »
i'll just add some more fuel to fire

for a fact i have seen more footage of cardiel in the last 5 years than i have from pops.  not only that but cardiel was trying hard as shit, as he could barely walk, and was in the van and on the road touring with his teams, getting out there, showing love to his fans and getting stoked on everything.   compare that to pops in the last 5 years and it's all you really need to know about what makes a professional.   
where is home?

manbergur

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2011, 11:14:55 PM »
ive already spoken my mind on the subject previously in the thread - dont need your ranting

you hate what pops has become - ok then.. good input. seer. maybe he'll blow minds with his chocolate part, or maybe he wont - but every other person in here is just spewing hate for the skate of it. have fun. not a big deal - but you all look like kooks..  go skate - dont take it so seriously
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:16:54 PM by manbergur »

theotits beezy

« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »
kooks eh? well it's close to midnight here in san francisco & it's freezing & there are no indoor skateparks so there's no way i can skate. we're discussing things about skateboarding, something a lot of us take seriously because we love it. &talking about skating is what we do when we're not skating because we love it. &having an opinion that's against yours makes us kooks? look in the mirror, kook.

just a little off topic, the word kook starts to sound really funny/awkward after you say it a lot.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2011, 11:31:40 PM »
see, in my opinion, there's enough room for all the Cardiels AND the Pops.
but I could give a fuck about professionalism in skateboarding. It's only loosly...loosly based on it anyways.

(only took 5 pages before Dill got tractor beamed into this thread of NY skaters and so called "career milking", but I really I just wanted to post this up cause watching those parts from IE immediately reminded me of this gem)

@idealhandmades

theotits beezy

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2011, 11:51:49 PM »
yeah it is so much more than opinion & ability. it's just i think as long as you still have the ability to skate hard, you should go as hard as you can. unless something bad happens & takes you out, then i think it's cool that the skate industry takes care of you. or maybe you gety old & can't skate anymore, then it's cool for you to not skate but still get paid. or grow up & start a company & get paid of that. i mean, cardiel can't skate, & you can tell he's trying as hard as he can whenever he does. pops is the total opposite. whatever i'm done talking about pops.

i was beginning to put tom penny into the career milker category until this came out:

a full supra video would be epic as fuck. up there with menikmati & fully flared as far as footwear videos.

Skatan.

• Rep: 1
  • eat my shit
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2011, 11:57:15 PM »
i actually enjoyed watching this.

it wouldnt hurt to see some actual footage from him though.

starwars

• Rep: 1
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2011, 12:13:11 AM »
That was like watching a bad Shawn powers clip

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2011, 12:14:50 AM »

What's this? A sensible post on Slap? We'll have none of that!

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2011, 07:31:02 AM »
kooks eh? well it's close to midnight here in san francisco & it's freezing & there are no indoor skateparks so there's no way i can skate. we're discussing things about skateboarding, something a lot of us take seriously because we love it. &talking about skating is what we do when we're not skating because we love it. &having an opinion that's against yours makes us kooks? look in the mirror, kook.

just a little off topic, the word kook starts to sound really funny/awkward after you say it a lot.

really can't imagine it being "freezing" in san francisco at midnight at this time of year, man up.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

findcoli295

• Rep: -14
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2011, 07:35:08 AM »
damnit. saw this thread again and thought it was about popps losing sponsors. got hyped for a sec.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2011, 08:04:03 AM »
anyone got the clip of popps skating a demo and eating shit olling a pyramid and trying to skate a piece of plywood on a street and falling? it's pretty funny.

LemonParty

• Rep: -112
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2011, 08:12:01 AM »

for a fact i have seen more footage of cardiel in the last 5 years than i have from pops.  not only that but cardiel was trying hard as shit, as he could barely walk, and was in the van and on the road touring with his teams, getting out there, showing love to his fans and getting stoked on everything.   compare that to pops in the last 5 years and it's all you really need to know about what makes a professional.   

fully flared came out 4 years ago (2007) where poppalardo had a full 2.5 minute part

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2011, 08:14:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
What's this? A sensible post on Slap? We'll have none of that!

Actually, that's a fucking horrible analogy, if you ask me. You don't compare basketball and skateboarding. You don't "play" skateboarding to "win," like you do in basketball. They are two completely different activities. Fuck off with the jock shit.

Schmaltz

• Rep: -55
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2011, 08:27:20 AM »
I saw Pappalardo the other night around 2am doing noseblunts on the benches at washingston square park.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2011, 09:39:51 AM »
I enjoyed it as a little art clip. I liked the kooks and the nightlife stuff, as well as the surreal vibe done through the edit. I dunno, it was just a cool looking/sounding skateboard-themed stupor. Backing it.

Hatechild

« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »
pops is the best skater ever. hes just having fun and doing whatever he wants to do on a skateboard. If that means keeping it basic and true to what he wants to do, so what. Sure what hes put out recenetly its not the best footage in world, but these things are hardly a testement to what hes really doing behind the scenes. All of these off the grids have been just fucking around footage, some interpret it differnetly then others, but nobody has taken it seriously (maybe chaz orteez, but i didnt watch his so i wouldnt know).

While i have my doubts about pappalardo, i think largely it comes from him not wanting to advertise himself like other skaters do, and sponsors that down for that and not saying "you must have 3 ads in a magazine per year or we kick you off". I think thats probably something to be more stoked on then to hate on. Pappalardo and the way his sponsors treat him is like what skateboarding was about in the 80s and 90s and shit, where it was just go out and skate and maybe film a trick once in a while. A time when skateboarding was never an obligation and a job, like it is for so many other skaters in the world today. Obviously though being a pro skater comes with responsibilities, but business is business. If pops is still selling boards and making money for his sponsors, despite not putting out footage, then why shouldnt he be getting paid?

The whole pops mystery will be resolved in the chocolate video. His part is honestly one that im most hyped for, have no idea what to expect.

Don't think he's selling boards anymore since Chocolate only gave him 1 pro model this season and kicked him off their series decks.

http://www.wallridecatalog.com/wallride22/index.html#id=album-239643&num=content-4293659

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2011, 10:34:37 AM »
Actually, that's a fucking horrible analogy, if you ask me. You don't compare basketball and skateboarding. You don't "play" skateboarding to "win," like you do in basketball. They are two completely different activities. Fuck off with the jock shit.

thats fine dude, then just read the first half of my post.
or don't.
cause this ain't the NBA, and this also ain't a jackson pollock painting.
maybe I should have used skateboarding as an analogy for skateboarding.
Or wait! No! Even better!
I should just not read all the posts that came before this page and completely disregard the merit and message in someones post over semantics, and get really caught up in the detail of one tiny little part of what they said, so I can claim 'core, instead of thinking constructively and trying to follow their point.
And anyways, technically, I wasn't making an analogy between basketball and skateboarding. I was making one between Jordan the human and Pops the human.
@idealhandmades

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »
Expand Quote

for a fact i have seen more footage of cardiel in the last 5 years than i have from pops.� not only that but cardiel was trying hard as shit, as he could barely walk, and was in the van and on the road touring with his teams, getting out there, showing love to his fans and getting stoked on everything.� �compare that to pops in the last 5 years and it's all you really need to know about what makes a professional.� �
[close]

fully flared came out 4 years ago (2007) where poppalardo had a full 2.5 minute part

fine, 4 years ago, with footage that was filmed up to a couple years prior to 2007.   you completely ignored my post otherwise, which i think makes a valid point of what i think makes a professional skateboarder.    my other post in this thread praised pops, for being able to convince people they are 'being true to street skating' by supporting him, buying his product and being 'counter current skate culture'.   basically like thinking youre different if you buy from hot topic, when you are still buying into a marketing approach.

at the end of the day, being professional means being able to sell products and create a demand for your signature gear, and to me a guy that is still learning to walk properly yet still trying his best to skate as much as he can and still going on all the tours he can  and be involved in the scene embodies 'professionalism' or whatever you wanna call it.    all i am saying is get out there and do your best.  everyone on slap skates for fun.  we aren't pro.  do your damn job.  

however, i do think pops should rake in every single cent he can.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:43:02 AM by Tyroneshoelaces »
where is home?