Author Topic: Dissected Shoes  (Read 1777 times)

Musicaldeath107

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 122
Dissected Shoes
« on: April 14, 2023, 02:29:54 PM »
Anyone else out there on Slap cut their shoes apart after they are destroyed to get a better view on their construction?
I know that Andrew Reynolds does this so I'm not the only weirdo.

Figure a thread like this could be a good resource to see how construction differs across brands and models especially cupsoles

I've taken apart Etnies Maranas

ES Evants

ES Accel OGs

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
Re: Dissected Shoes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 02:52:47 PM »
I've never done this but often look for videos doing this
So yeah this thread is not a bad idea at all

Gives me an idea of why certain shoes work dont work for me
At least I think it does.

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 03:02:00 PM »
I've never done this but often look for videos doing this
So yeah this thread is not a bad idea at all

Gives me an idea of why certain shoes work dont work for me
At least I think it does.

Yeah that's what I think it does for me too. When I cut the Maranas apart I immediately could see why they hurt my feet and felt too thin despite looking pretty supportive from the outside

Gnarles Mingus

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 03:39:44 PM »
hell yeah.

i've been trying to find images/video of the adidas tyshawn sole cut in half. mid or low, pretty sure its the same.

Space Monkey

• Rep: 35
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 03:45:16 PM »
I'm surprised I don't see this site on here more often. They cut every shoe they review in half.
https://www.weartested.com/

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
  • sup dog
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 10:33:43 AM »

Josl1n. Vegan suede. You can see the rubber inner on the toe box, and some kind of white material on the toe cap. 

Also, plastic heel support, and some white cardboard on the side?

Interesting to see how it differed from the Marana.

The white foam in the cupsole feels like… stale marshmallow. (Not packing foam, not like the grey foam in the tongue and heel padding.)

Enjoy.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 11:10:47 AM »

Josl1n. Vegan suede. You can see the rubber inner on the toe box, and some kind of white material on the toe cap. 

The white foam in the cupsole feels like… stale marshmallow. (Not packing foam, not like the grey foam in the tongue and heel padding.)

Enjoy.

Really surprised that these and the Maranas are as thin as they are.  I expected them to be closer to the Accel OG but it's like 1/3 the foam.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 11:13:09 AM »
Anyone else out there on Slap cut their shoes apart after they are destroyed to get a better view on their construction?
I know that Andrew Reynolds does this so I'm not the only weirdo.

Figure a thread like this could be a good resource to see how construction differs across brands and models especially cupsoles

I've taken apart Etnies Maranas

ES Evants

ES Accel OGs

I’m surprised how much midsole foam there is in the Accel OG. I wonder if it’s the same as the Pro foam in the Josl1n, because the Joslin is really good at shock absorption.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:57:59 PM by JM »

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 01:18:09 PM »
Super into this thread already. I remember cutting open a pair of P-Rod 1's because it had a bunch of tech like the zoom air, carbon fiber shank, etc. that I wanted to see.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 07:02:29 PM »
Expand Quote

Enjoy.
[close]

Really surprised that these and the Maranas are as thin as they are.  I expected them to be closer to the Accel OG but it's like 1/3 the foam.

Yup me too. The Accel has a lot of foam. Either they have different foam, or the Joslin has a better insole?

What kind of insole does Accel have?

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 07:31:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Enjoy.
[close]

[close]

Yup me too. The Accel has a lot of foam. Either they have different foam, or the Joslin has a better insole?

What kind of insole does Accel have?

It's a thin EVA insole. The Maranas definitely had a better insole I think the Joslin has the same one.

Pretty sure the midsole foam is the same just looking at them and feeling them.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 11:17:37 PM »
Both Marana and Joslin have polyurethane insole that is 5mm thick at the toes and around 8-9 mm at the heel (Pro Foam 1 as Etnies call it).
It takes most of the cushioning in those shoes, it is very good and can be reused in other shoes as well.

Accel OG now has removable perforated EVA insole that 5 mm thick through the whole length of the insole.
When eS relaunched, Accel OG used to have thin squishy foam ortholite insole that was very comfy but did nothing to absorb impact and couple of years later they put slightly glued on 5 mm harder EVA insole.
Cushioning in Accel OG is being done by thick midsole.

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2023, 08:33:17 PM »
Cut apart my recently retired pair of Accel OGs to see if any construction changed.  Looks like under the toe cap there is a piece of silicone feeling material now.  Feels like the same material that used to be in between layers of sole tech shoes in like 2002. Probably helped the suede together better too not just another abrasion resistant layer.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2023, 09:43:41 PM »
Thought this was a new shoe company with a death metal aesthetic but I seem to have been mistaken.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2023, 09:56:13 PM »
i’ve been meaning to start a thread like this but i’ve been too lazy to lol. i cut a pair of accel ogs and a pair of sb air force 2s in half, i’ll upload pics when i get the chance

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2023, 10:23:18 PM »
i’ve been meaning to start a thread like this but i’ve been too lazy to lol. i cut a pair of accel ogs and a pair of sb air force 2s in half, i’ll upload pics when i get the chance

I would like to see the af2 pics, the heel felt like it was nothing but a piece of plastic, no foam at all. That thing ruin what I thought was a perfect skate shoe.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2023, 11:40:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/@RoseAnvil/videos

this guy does cool videos dissecting mostly leather shoes, but not on skate shoes really. still super interesting and learn about what to look for in a shoe.

ChompskyHonk

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2023, 01:55:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would like to see the af2 pics, the heel felt like it was nothing but a piece of plastic, no foam at all. That thing ruin what I thought was a perfect skate shoe.

Here's one of a pair of accel ogs I had last year:

The amount of foam in the midsole and tongue is nuts. There's a reason why these are my favorite shoes to skate.

Here's the dissection of the af2s in the Kevin Bradley colorway:

When I skated these I found them way more stable, supportive, and cushioned than sb dunks. For whatever reason, I thought that there was (at least) an air unit in the heel, full-length midsole foam, along with an insole with a heel zoom unit. However, the midsole construction is damn near identical to dunks, aside from the rubber coming up a little bit higher. The midsole foam only runs about halfway into the shoe, thinning out from the heel to the mid foot. There is no midsole foam in the forefoot, much like sb dunks from 2009 onwards. I also saw there was no air unit in the midsole as advertised, only a small zoom unit in the insole. Unlike sb dunks, the insole is made up of a single piece of foam, unlike how sb dunks have a poron insert in the forefoot. Although about the same width as dunks, I think I found them to be more supportive largely because of how high the midsole rubber came up, so my forefoot was pretty much sitting in the midsole instead of on top of it. The heel counter was definitely less rigid than that of dunks, but I didn't have any issues with heel slippage or lockdown. These were my grails back in high school and I'm so glad I skated them to death because they were so fucking good. Nike should really consider bringing these back (again)

ChompskyHonk

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2023, 02:09:41 PM »

This is taken from Andrew Reynolds's village psychic interview. I see lynx ogs, some g6 emericas, a Kyle walker 2, some nb 1010s and (I think) an older nb Brandon Westgate shoe. I've never skated lynx ogs, but have always wanted to, and I found the midsole construction fascinating. Instead of a more modern cupsole that's cored out and filled with foam, they have a more traditional construction with a rubber lattice and an impact-G gel insert in the heel. this makes me wonder what the internals of other classic dcs are like, like the Williams, Kalis, truth, and clocker 2s. I wish he cut up a pair of his first shoe too, but I get that those are prolly personal to him and are too valuable to chop in half

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2023, 08:00:02 PM »

This is taken from Andrew Reynolds's village psychic interview. I see lynx ogs, some g6 emericas, a Kyle walker 2, some nb 1010s and (I think) an older nb Brandon Westgate shoe. I've never skated lynx ogs, but have always wanted to, and I found the midsole construction fascinating. Instead of a more modern cupsole that's cored out and filled with foam, they have a more traditional construction with a rubber lattice and an impact-G gel insert in the heel. this makes me wonder what the internals of other classic dcs are like, like the Williams, Kalis, truth, and clocker 2s. I wish he cut up a pair of his first shoe too, but I get that those are prolly personal to him and are too valuable to chop in half

Is that black new balance shoe the bronze collab that got shelved? If so they really should release that model

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2023, 08:01:51 PM »
this is serial killer behavior  :o

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2023, 03:45:53 AM »
Really want to see the AS-1 cut in half. The convex and cored sole is something I’m struggling to wrap my head around. Hopefully wear tested will drop one.

I miss Ripped Laces.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2023, 08:58:20 AM »

The Kalis OG is a big old slab of foam with an air unit in the heel.  I cut a pair up last year.  I swear I took pics but I can't find em

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 454
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2023, 10:22:27 AM »
Seems like the place for this (maybe). This Instagram account has several videos repairing some super beat I-paths.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsT7hV3rEiI/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsCOpaprTMw/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==