Author Topic: Out There: Rayssa Leal  (Read 1478 times)

Ghost Face and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

left knee cap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 118
  • $$$$
Out There: Rayssa Leal
« on: March 18, 2024, 09:11:57 AM »
covers the infamous heelflip, fame in brazil and the trajectory of being a contest skater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMKLYIbJ8ao

crescentfresh

• Rep: 37
Re: Out There: Rayssa Leal
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 09:36:10 AM »
this was rad. i like how she stomps the shit out of every trick. she definitely has the potential to put out some epic parts and i hope the focus on street stuff is real and continues.

also didn't realize how famous she is in brazil

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 09:42:00 AM »
She seems like she knows what shes doing and its not getting to her head.

Also, so weird seeing a 6 year old huck it down the hollywood 12. Jeez dad let the kid grow before you toss him down that.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 09:45:41 AM »
Really wholesome video overall. There's something really nice about her parents' working class background and her trajectory in skateboarding - it's honest. Hard to believe she's only 15 and doing what she does from living abroad, skateboarding and producing content on a high level, winning top level places at contests, etc. She came off as a really level headed considering all of the above. Definitely rooting for her and her career to come.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -288
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 10:19:53 AM »
Very wholesome. It was interesting to hear her (and Nyjah too) speak on how famous she is, that's gotta be weird for a teenager, but she seems to be embracing it well. She's so good and so young it's insane. I hope we get a full 5 minute magnum opus type part from her some day. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 10:30:32 AM »
That Hollywood session looked like an absolute nightmare.

Sondor

• Rep: 61
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 11:01:12 AM »
for me it's crazy like

slippy

• Rep: 82
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 11:03:39 AM »
Not sure why but just seeing the casual ledge and park warm up skating was wild.   Not only able to perform big contest and video part stuff but popping out of every grind the length of the whole ledge too.  Didn't think the base level skating would be that good, she's going to be a great for sure
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Troubadour26

• Rep: 60
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 11:14:50 AM »
I didn’t even know she was the heelflip girl ha! It’s fucking crazy that she’s only 15 and skating at the level that she is. Like Shane says in the video, at her age, she’s one of the best, period. Fucking insane.

guydog

• Rep: 7
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 11:24:36 AM »
She rips.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2024, 12:24:51 PM »
Definitely looking forward to watching her skating grow and progress considering how hard she's ripping at the moment.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2024, 01:18:07 PM »
About 5 years I can see her getting SOTY

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2024, 01:33:21 PM »
Sheesh, the back smith was perfect! She looks really good on a skateboard; this is the most I have seen her skate. Pretty incredible how many people she appears to be financially supporting at her age.

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2024, 01:42:16 PM »
Sheesh, the back smith was perfect! She looks really good on a skateboard; this is the most I have seen her skate. Pretty incredible how many people she appears to be financially supporting at her age.

She is sponsored by one of the biggest banks of Brazil (state-owned one, was considered the most stable bank some years ago) and the biggest telecommunications company too. People outside skateboarding know her here as "Little Fairy". For sure the highest paid Brazilian skater right now.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2024, 02:46:37 PM »

imagine having such a loving father that he's willing to not only drive you to a spot and support you skating, but he'll stand in front of a rail and catch you while you feel it out. pffft... who would want that. what a joke.......

I miss my dad.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -374
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2024, 03:33:33 PM »
Heelflip back lip was sick as fuck.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2024, 04:05:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

imagine having such a loving father that he's willing to not only drive you to a spot and support you skating, but he'll stand in front of a rail and catch you while you feel it out. pffft... who would want that. what a joke.......

I miss my dad.

Maybe talking about having not one but two managers with you on your sesh

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 34
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2024, 05:12:08 PM »
I didn’t even know she was the heelflip girl ha! It’s fucking crazy that she’s only 15 and skating at the level that she is. Like Shane says in the video, at her age, she’s one of the best, period. Fucking insane.

Same. Somehow that information never got to me.

Very wholesome to watch those little kids be fans.

totallyradical

• Rep: -14
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2024, 05:22:27 PM »
covers the infamous heelflip, fame in brazil and the trajectory of being a contest skater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMKLYIbJ8ao

*famous heelflip, infamous means something different.

Neil

• Rep: 13
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2024, 07:31:44 PM »
There's an April house in Chatsworth.

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 39
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2024, 07:42:39 PM »
I loved this. Particularly her interactions with little kid fans.

But the biggest highlight was that effortless, flawless nollie crook with a proper pop out on the April indoor skatepark ledge just warming up.  I rewound that a few times.

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2024, 09:32:49 PM »
She talks about seeing a psychiatrist, and given the context, I take her to mean she talks to someone to help with the psychological aspect of competitive skateboarding. I’ve heard of tennis players having people help them deal with nerves, but I’ve never thought about it with contest skaters. Makes perfect sense though, just something I’ve never considered before.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2024, 09:34:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I miss my dad.
[close]

Maybe talking about having not one but two managers with you on your sesh
Talking about everything. Kids, randoms, pros, some guy bellyflopping the set right before you try, wind

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 80
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2024, 09:47:14 PM »
Amazing how good she really is.
Cocteau Twins

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2024, 09:57:32 PM »
Got weirdly and unexpectedly emotional watching this. Everything about it is alot... Skating Hollywood 16 in front of like 32 random hangers-on, not being able to sit on a curb in your hometown without some clout chasers asking for a photo, your local park becoming unskateable, Taking high school classes remotely in Shane O'Neills guest house, being an expat with English as your second language in the USA. It's a fucked lifestyle for anyone.

And then to realize she is 15 years old and takes everything in stride, smiling and joking the whole time, better than I would handle it now in my early 30s. It's insane.

It's so exciting because she is going to be one of the best skaters in the world but it makes me nervous because nobody deserves for their teenage years to be a pressure cooker like that. And How does a family handle the finances? How do they decide what she does and how much to push her and how much to travel in a year? It's a minefield dude. I hope the adults in her life allow her some space to be a teenager and not a just a billboard and moneymaker.

But then setting all that aside you see her skate the April park, and as others have said in this thread it is some of the smoothest most natural skating imagineable-- just clearly a generational talent/style. Puts a smile on your face.

Shoutout to Bublitz, he crushed this one

AllisonChalmers

• Rep: -26
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2024, 10:09:10 PM »
That kickflip at the monster jam was so nice. She's definitely top of the game, and has unlocked skateboarding in a way sets her apart. I often wonder what other female skaters think of her.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2024, 10:20:15 PM »
Got weirdly and unexpectedly emotional watching this. Everything about it is alot... Skating Hollywood 16 in front of like 32 random hangers-on, not being able to sit on a curb in your hometown without some clout chasers asking for a photo, your local park becoming unskateable, Taking high school classes remotely in Shane O'Neills guest house, being an expat with English as your second language in the USA. It's a fucked lifestyle for anyone.

And then to realize she is 15 years old and takes everything in stride, smiling and joking the whole time, better than I would handle it now in my early 30s. It's insane.

It's so exciting because she is going to be one of the best skaters in the world but it makes me nervous because nobody deserves for their teenage years to be a pressure cooker like that. And How does a family handle the finances? How do they decide what she does and how much to push her and how much to travel in a year? It's a minefield dude. I hope the adults in her life allow her some space to be a teenager and not a just a billboard and moneymaker.

But then setting all that aside you see her skate the April park, and as others have said in this thread it is some of the smoothest most natural skating imagineable-- just clearly a generational talent/style. Puts a smile on your face.

Shoutout to Bublitz, he crushed this one

Yeah, that’s why the TWO managers surprised me.   Her parents are already working for her, hopefully she has a legit team behind her and not a bunch of hangers on collecting 5-10%.   She may be famous, but she’s still skater famous.   She’s not racking up pro athlete dollars yet from what I can tell

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1458
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2024, 11:49:46 PM »
I really wish all the best for her, she seems like such a nice person. And her talent is undeniable.