Author Topic: New Movies in Theaters  (Read 3406 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Re: New Movies in Theaters
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2024, 12:10:20 PM »
Okay just got out of Maxxxine and definitely think it’s the strongest because it actually felt like a movie and not a homage to a genre.   (Maxine’s accent and drive for fame kept reminding me someone of Hawk Tuah girl)

I thought the cinematography was the best part but even the 80's noir has been done a lot better - there are definitely some good shots in this film. Mia Goth's accent is a bit clunky - but that's an aside, I knew that already and it doesn't take away from the film in any way. She still does the role well.

My main quibble with Maxxxine is that was the clunky plot and lack of character development. I didn't really care who lived or died in the film and it felt like you were supposed to for some of them? The buddy cop duo, her - I guess? - best friend, and that "twist" felt like a very forced red herring. Sort of throwing in The Night Stalker, I see what they were doing, but it felt underutilized and a bit lazy. That one scene with her in the alley... yeah, that seemed sort of just thrown in for shock value.

It's not a bad movie, it just felt like a failed horror sequel to me. I guess what I liked about X was it's references and influences from classic horror films. Maxxxine also had that but I didn't think it did it as well. And, okay, they're two different movies but it was a sequel.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1174
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2024, 01:30:07 PM »
Are there any homage or references to "Manhunter"?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2024, 01:40:10 PM »
Are there any homage or references to "Manhunter"?

Well Brian Cox and Anthony Hopkins show up in the third act and do the Spider-Man pointing meme

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2024, 01:42:47 PM »
That's pretty on the nose.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2024, 02:06:16 PM »
cool thread

saw furiosa and loved it. i think it may have been a victim of the disney/marvel/holywood push back for rebranding with female leads, at least i saw some youtube videos claiming that and maybe thats it but as a huge fan of the franchise really enjoyed it.

also saw quite place day one and was kind of blown away by it. it was surprisingly good to me. my kids and i all said we thought it was strongest in franchise and we all really liked the other movies.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2024, 04:52:02 AM »
Crazy Longlegs did so well at theaters.   Didn’t seem to have caught fire as an internet thing,

GnarAlarm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2024, 09:49:18 AM »
Definitely getting out to see Longlegs sometime this week.

Bikeriders was pretty good, maybe a little slower than I thought it'd be. 
It's like they put literally every action sequence in the trailer. I wasn't going into it expecting an action movie but I thought it'd be maybe a little more thrilling than it was.
I might not have liked it much but the performances by Tom Hardy and Jodie Comer really carried it to another level.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2024, 01:48:44 PM »

It's like they put literally every action sequence in the trailer. I wasn't going into it expecting an action movie but I thought it'd be maybe a little more thrilling than it was.
I might not have liked it much but the performances by Tom Hardy and Jodie Comer really carried it to another level.

I liked the performance of the pudgier guy in the gang.   Was surprised it was the kid from Place Beyond the Pines

Brotherly Shuvit

• Rep: -25
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2024, 03:01:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I liked the performance of the pudgier guy in the gang.   Was surprised it was the kid from Place Beyond the Pines

Yeah it seemed like Emory Cohen was gonna be a household name after Brooklyn in 2015.  I’m also a fan of his work in the (very polarizing) series The OA.  Great show.

Michael Shannon is so fucking good, he truly makes everything he’s in so much better.  Love how Nichols always has a role for him.

Thought Hardy was way too over the top, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2024, 01:07:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah it seemed like Emory Cohen was gonna be a household name after Brooklyn in 2015.  I’m also a fan of his work in the (very polarizing) series The OA.  Great show.

Michael Shannon is so fucking good, he truly makes everything he’s in so much better.  Love how Nichols always has a role for him.

Thought Hardy was way too over the top, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Someone could definitely make the argument that Tom Hardy, Jodie Comer, and Austin Butler were all in different movies in their heads

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2024, 11:58:32 AM »
I enjoyed Maxxxine but would rank it slightly lower than X and Pearl. Just didn't quite have that something to escalate it from good to great quite like I found with the others. Overall still a big fan and recommend the series

Marion Stoked

• Rep: 9
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2024, 08:17:55 PM »
Thread got me hyped to do a weekend theater visit. Kinds Of Kindness on the menu

Watched Kinds of Kindness. I absolutely hated it.

It felt the director took all the awkwardness of Wes Anderson's characters coupled them with the shallowness of the characters from Drive and jammed them into 3 worlds as equally disgusting and hateful as Lars Von Trier's Anti-Christ. I couldn't wait for it to end.

Everything felt cheap. The only good part of the movie was watching Emma Stone dance for about 30 seconds.

Haha damn.

To be fair, that's kinda the whole 'Yorgos' thing. Like if Wes Anderson was a sociopath. His shit is almost always surface level, and when he's not ripping off Haneke or Kubrick his (and his co-writer's) ideas/writing can be entertaining. But that's really all you're getting. I fucked with Nimic.

Gonna check out that LVT film. Psyched.
"Why concede all work ethic to the protestants, y'know?"

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2024, 06:49:34 AM »
Anybody see either of these? Worth going to the theater for?

https://filmadelphia.org/movies/green-border/

https://filmadelphia.org/movies/oddity/

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1250
  • old and in the way
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2024, 12:25:51 PM »
http://youtu.be/OzY2r2JXsDM?si=aTL--I7e5vCRSS--

http://youtu.be/x0XDEhP4MQs?si=25nYECxf-ELHC6dc

Is anyone else amped up to see Alien: Romulus next month? The first trailer doesn’t look all that promising
( “there’s sumthin in thuh fucken wah-uh” ) but the second one looks interesting visually and maybe they did some cool modifications to the facehuggers and xenomorphs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 03:00:29 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2024, 02:48:32 PM »
http://youtu.be/OzY2r2JXsDM?si=aTL--I7e5vCRSS--

https//youtu.be/x0XDEhP4MQs?si=ulSjgKKnf_RmHFzI

Is anyone else amped up to see Alien: Romulus next month? The first trailer doesn’t look all that promising
( “there’s sumthin in thuh fucken wah-uh” ) but the second one looks interesting visually and maybe they did some cool modifications to the facehuggers and xenomorphs.

Floating towards the acid in zero G made me stoked to see it.   I trust Fede Alvarez to do some cool stuff

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1250
  • old and in the way
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2024, 03:05:49 PM »
The floating acid blood looks cool as hell so I’m a bit disappointed they’d ruin the surprise factor of that scene by including it in the trailer- but maybe it means that the movie has unique things like that to spare. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2024, 03:47:00 PM »
The floating acid blood looks cool as hell so I’m a bit disappointed they’d ruin the surprise factor of that scene by including it in the trailer- but maybe it means that the movie has unique things like that to spare.

True and maybe the tension will be enough for you to forget in the moment

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2024, 03:55:41 PM »
Only seen "Don't Breath" by him but that was so good that I would give Alvarez the benefit of the doubt.

Come to think, the premise seems very similar to "Don't Breath": A group of young theives breaking into a building to steal something, either unawares of, or basically otherwise underestimating, the dangerous threat with which they will be trapped inside.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2024, 04:01:34 PM »
Only seen "Don't Breath" by him but that was so good that I would give Alvarez the benefit of the doubt.

Come to think, the premise seems very similar to "Don't Breath": A group of young theives breaking into a building to steal something, either unawares of, or basically otherwise underestimating, the dangerous threat with which they will be trapped inside.

He also did the newest Evil Dead - so he’s got a thing for tension in confined spaces