Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387630 times)

hangontoyourego

Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #1560 on: January 01, 2019, 12:42:24 PM »
for the good , the bad & the ugly fans

Check out “Sad Hill Unearthed” on Netflix
https://www.netflix.com/title/80988832?s=i&trkid=13630398

redcurb12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #1561 on: January 01, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Bird Box sucked.
[close]

hated it.  wannabe edgy black mirror shit for normies.  bad acting and stupid concept. 

speaking of Black Mirror, i loved bandersnatch.  If you didn't like it, watch it again and again until you get a story line that you do

**minor spoiler alert**
i thought the acting was actually fine for the most part. my biggest problem is that the plot was forced by some really stupid and unrealistic decisions by the characters. why doesn’t tom let malkovich out when they are being attacked by the crazy dude they let in? why do they need the grocery store clerk to come with them.. there was no security system.. just a locked door. why do they act so surprised when he tells them they can get food supplies at the grocery store(duh?). so much of the plot wasn’t logical. i understand cheesy b movie horror cliches... but this movie seemed like it was trying  to be so much more... total fail

tldr: acting was good but the script was terrible

i thought bandersnatch was pretty fun.. but wasn’t super stoked on the story i got. i’ll give it another go
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:52:55 PM by redcurb12 »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #1562 on: January 01, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #1563 on: January 01, 2019, 07:49:19 PM »
Fuck Bandercoot if I wanted to choose my own ending I’d just finally kill myself

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1564 on: January 01, 2019, 11:17:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bird Box sucked.
[close]

hated it.  wannabe edgy black mirror shit for normies.  bad acting and stupid concept. 

speaking of Black Mirror, i loved bandersnatch.  If you didn't like it, watch it again and again until you get a story line that you do
[close]

**minor spoiler alert**
i thought the acting was actually fine for the most part. my biggest problem is that the plot was forced by some really stupid and unrealistic decisions by the characters. why doesn’t tom let malkovich out when they are being attacked by the crazy dude they let in? why do they need the grocery store clerk to come with them.. there was no security system.. just a locked door. why do they act so surprised when he tells them they can get food supplies at the grocery store(duh?). so much of the plot wasn’t logical. i understand cheesy b movie horror cliches... but this movie seemed like it was trying  to be so much more... total fail

i thought bandersnatch was pretty fun.. but wasn’t super stoked on the story i got. i’ll give it another go

More spoilers from Bird Box

Also, no one seemed to give a shit when their loved ones died. Sandra Bullock's sister walks in front of a speeding truck, then Sandra Bullock struggles over to the house and that's pretty much the last mention of her sister. John Malkovich's wife walks into a burning car until she explodes herself to death and he just gets grumpy that Sandra Bullock is in his house now. And during this six-year loving relationship they didn't call their children anything but "Boy" and "Girl" until those little shits earned real names six years later.

To be clear, I think the movie is worth watching, but there is a lot of glaringly stupid shit in it.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #1565 on: January 02, 2019, 02:20:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bird Box sucked.
[close]

[close]

**minor spoiler alert**

[close]

More spoilers from Bird Box

Also, no one seemed to give a shit when their loved ones died. Sandra Bullock's sister walks in front of a speeding truck, then Sandra Bullock struggles over to the house and that's pretty much the last mention of her sister. John Malkovich's wife walks into a burning car until she explodes herself to death and he just gets grumpy that Sandra Bullock is in his house now. And during this six-year loving relationship they didn't call their children anything but "Boy" and "Girl" until those little shits earned real names six years later.

To be clear, I think the movie is worth watching, but there is a lot of glaringly stupid shit in it.

Bird Box started off unnecessarily dull and sluggish, the middle bit was entertaining enough, and then the ending fell flat. I didn't love it, didn't hate it, and I guess my main question is where did all the hype come from? It was just decent. I'll say I've seen it compared to "A Quiet Place" and I found it more engaging than it.

Black Mirror has gone downhill, IMHO. Not drastically so but it feels like a gradual slope. The first season was great, the second season had the concepts & feel but lots of drag, and Bandersnatch wasn't really all that "Black Mirror" to me aside from the cinematography. I went through a couple of endings on first watch but it felt more tedious and gimmicky than a movie I'd watch again. I'm not saying it was horrible it just didn't hold the same merit to me as the episodes.

On a separate note, I started watching Perfume which is really dark and great so far. It's a modern adaptation of the novel by German author Patrick Süskind. Dark is another really good German one on Netflix atm too.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #1566 on: January 02, 2019, 05:17:56 AM »
[quote author=sexualhelon link=topic=57771.msg2927757#msg2927757 date=15
On a separate note, I started watching Perfume which is really dark and great so far. It's a modern adaptation of the novel by German author Patrick Süskind. Dark is another really good German one on Netflix atm too.
[/quote]

there was a movie of the same name in 2006 that was really good as well. Recommended viewing.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #1567 on: January 06, 2019, 02:21:28 AM »
[quote author=sexualhelon link=topic=57771.msg2927757#msg2927757 date=15

there was a movie of the same name in 2006 that was really good as well. Recommended viewing.

[/quote]

Shit YES! I frgot about that movie, its great! gonna rewatch that tonight

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #1568 on: January 06, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
Goodfellas.
Pulp Fiction.
Inside The World's Toughest Prisons.
Trailer Park Boys Season 1-6.
BBC Earth, Blue Planet.
Actually all the BBC's.
Good Will Hunting.
Public Enemies.
Kill Bill.
The Hateful Eight.
Inglourious Basterds.
Blood Diamond.
Django Unchained.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:34:34 PM by Christopher Lambe »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1569 on: January 06, 2019, 02:31:19 PM »
Is "Goodwill Hunting" different from "Good Will Hunting"? Because if it is, I might actually check it out.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #1570 on: January 06, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »
Is "Goodwill Hunting" different from "Good Will Hunting"? Because if it is, I might actually check it out.
[/quote
 It's about a treasure hunt.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:41:47 PM by Christopher Lambe »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1571 on: January 06, 2019, 05:36:49 PM »
Yooo The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is the best thing Coen Bros have done in a while.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:39:48 PM by VHS ERA »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1572 on: January 06, 2019, 05:40:02 PM »
Birdbox = The Happening + A Quiet Place except better than The Happening and worse than A Quiet Place

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #1573 on: January 06, 2019, 06:27:25 PM »
I re watched Buster Scruggs a few days ago, this time with my parents.

My mom loved it (Zoe Kazan's role especially), and my dad hated it.

A couple good features on the CGI in it/how it was the first Coen bros. movie shot on digital.
https://variety.com/2018/film/global/buster-scruggs-bruno-delbonnel-coen-brothers-1203030418/
https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-cgi-of-the-coen-brothers-ballad-of-buster-scruggs/

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #1574 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:32 AM »
Started YOU last night... got one ep deep. Seem's like it has potential. Has a Dexter vibe

Also love that they have the OASIS Supersonic documentary up now too. So fucking cool.
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #1575 on: January 08, 2019, 04:30:02 PM »
Never gets old....the soundtrack might be one of my all time faves (Snatch up there too).

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #1576 on: January 09, 2019, 08:06:53 AM »
UK The In-betweeners, comedic gold for young lads
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #1577 on: January 09, 2019, 08:31:04 AM »

A+ show, wish PEEP SHOW was still on netflix, but its on Hulu so im still straight.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1578 on: January 09, 2019, 09:13:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A+ show, wish PEEP SHOW was still on netflix, but its on Hulu so im still straight.

I got Hulu, shit comes through with TV shows, in the early days they had a load of Kurusawa movies, now they have shit movies and docs

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1579 on: January 09, 2019, 09:27:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Peep Show is so fucking good even with the huge gaps in production. That Mitchell and Webb Look is really good too. Same guys doing a sketch show.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #1580 on: January 09, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Peep Show is so fucking good even with the huge gaps in production. That Mitchell and Webb Look is really good too. Same guys doing a sketch show.

Just bought myself the season DVD's this past November! BMX bandit babyyyyyy

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1581 on: January 13, 2019, 05:05:19 PM »
The Devils Candy
Deathgasm

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #1582 on: January 16, 2019, 04:36:52 PM »
its not on netflix but im not sure where else to post it but im reallly digging the show counterpart on stars. i really like the concept.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #1583 on: January 17, 2019, 08:05:22 AM »
i retract my statements about YOU being good. fuck that show.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 425
« Reply #1584 on: January 17, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »

lol my girlfriend watches that show.

Anyone watching True Detective S3? Not sure how I feel about it.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #1585 on: January 18, 2019, 01:41:58 AM »
That American crime stories thing..

Haven't watched the first season but second one with Gianni Versace is great! That killer is sick in the head and it makes me a bit uncomfortable because I see a bunch of me in him..

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #1586 on: January 18, 2019, 11:06:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol my girlfriend watches that show.

Anyone watching True Detective S3? Not sure how I feel about it.

First two eps of TD3 ruled!! First person i heard on the fence about it who's seen them. I cant imagine it slowing down either, so maybe give it a few more eps. I think it has potential of being better than season one.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #1587 on: January 18, 2019, 11:49:03 AM »
Somebody should probably start a dedicated TD thread at some point. Bump an old one or something.

I'm into it so far, just read this new interview-feature with the creator, focused mostly on the third season:
https://filmschoolrejects.com/true-detective-season-3/

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #1588 on: January 19, 2019, 06:32:34 PM »
Just finished Fyre:The Greatest Party That Never Happened on Netflix , I liked it. Andy King is a true team player. What a trooper  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:34:48 PM by Christopher Lambe »

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1589 on: January 19, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »
Just finished Fyre:The Greatest Party That Never Happened on Netflix , I liked it. Andy King is a true team player. What a trooper  :)

I watched the one on Hulu and am meaning to wth this one too.

The whole story is wild. He’s some smooth talker.