Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387722 times)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #1710 on: April 03, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
I've been meaning to watch that series, I love that movie based off the same book.

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-movies-on-netflix-right-now.html
This lists some lame movies (Across the Universe is the worst), but it has a bunch of good stuff.
Synecdoche,NY is great.

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1711 on: April 03, 2019, 10:39:00 PM »
Gomorra - La serie. On Netflix, doesn't suck.
It's annoying to me that season three isn't on there yet, when they just started airing season four.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Useless Wooden Bench

• Rep: 159
    • Pappy avatar image
« Reply #1712 on: April 04, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Gomorra - La serie. On Netflix, doesn't suck.
[close]
It's annoying to me that season three isn't on there yet, when they just started airing season four.
That is dumb, but at least now I get to feel like my favorite Napolitano crime lord as I illegally download the new eps.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1713 on: April 04, 2019, 03:57:31 PM »
Suburra: Blood on Rome is pretty good too.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1714 on: April 05, 2019, 06:23:24 AM »
Expand Quote
One Punch Man is my favorite available there (new season out April 2019! probs not straight to Netflix tho);
[close]

Not on Netflix but have you watched Mob Psycho 100? Same creator as One Punch Man, season 2 finale just came out. I don't even usually watch anime or even have time for TV shows and shit, but I was stuck at home with a bad knee last week or so, I randomly checked it out and it sucked me right in, I binge watched both seasons in two days (not realizing the last episode was yet to come out then - some frustration ensued). Maybe it's a bit more profound than One Punch Man, but it's very similar, the animation is impressive and it's so imaginative you can almost taste the acid in some parts.

i hadn't heard of it, i'll have to check it out, thanks for the rec! yeah i only recently started giving anime a chance and its been alright, finally watched dragon ball for the first time last summer lol. for some reason i hated anime as a kid, maybe cus my sister was a weeb growing up.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1715 on: April 05, 2019, 08:34:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
One Punch Man is my favorite available there (new season out April 2019! probs not straight to Netflix tho);
[close]

Not on Netflix but have you watched Mob Psycho 100? Same creator as One Punch Man, season 2 finale just came out. I don't even usually watch anime or even have time for TV shows and shit, but I was stuck at home with a bad knee last week or so, I randomly checked it out and it sucked me right in, I binge watched both seasons in two days (not realizing the last episode was yet to come out then - some frustration ensued). Maybe it's a bit more profound than One Punch Man, but it's very similar, the animation is impressive and it's so imaginative you can almost taste the acid in some parts.
[close]

i hadn't heard of it, i'll have to check it out, thanks for the rec! yeah i only recently started giving anime a chance and its been alright, finally watched dragon ball for the first time last summer lol. for some reason i hated anime as a kid, maybe cus my sister was a weeb growing up.

I grew up on anime fansubbed bootlegs of dragonballZ in the mid 90s, I remember in 11th grade we conned our teacher in letting us put in Ninja Scroll since none of us had seen it...when we got to the near rape scene  ...boy ill tell you our teacher overreacted threw the tape out...lol

But anyways Netflix has decent anime, it's not my go to which is currently Hulu -has more R rated titles

There aren't many good titles in anime unless you really like the shit, I didn't like one punch after first 2 episodes, but love My Hero Acadamia (almost same premise)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:37:27 AM by Abyss1 »

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1716 on: April 08, 2019, 09:34:28 AM »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1717 on: April 08, 2019, 11:41:00 AM »
https://www.criterionchannel.com/
Just launched today.

Dope!  They had a channel on Hulu and was binging the kurosawa films and they suddenly pulled it.  Glad its back up

Timmy666

« Reply #1718 on: April 09, 2019, 11:23:38 PM »

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1719 on: April 10, 2019, 05:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote
https://www.criterionchannel.com/
Just launched today.
[close]

Dope!  They had a channel on Hulu and was binging the kurosawa films and they suddenly pulled it.  Glad its back up

I think Criterion decided to do their own channel after that streaming site FilmStruck went out of business last year.
https://www.vulture.com/article/criterion-channel-best-movies-streaming.html#_ga=2.190281390.483657370.1554839687-469360513.1524031471
So far I've watched The Player for the first time and some Lynch shorts I hadn't see before.
And Thin Blue Line for like the fourth time.

GasTheHostage

• Rep: -23
« Reply #1720 on: April 10, 2019, 12:22:19 PM »
If you want complete nonsense with dark n dirty humor go watch "The Eric Andre Show" this mans insane

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1721 on: April 21, 2019, 07:38:24 PM »
Hibana Spark
Turn Up Charlie

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1722 on: April 21, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
I just watched Unicorn Store. Starring and directed by Brie Larson and featuring Samuel L. Jackson, at under an hour length, it's short and very very sweet. Essentially it's about a depressed young woman who wallows in loneliness and her sense of failure who happens to have overly emotionally intrusive parents. When she finally gets off her ass and decides to better herself, she finds a whimsical store that offers the sense of companionship and acceptance that she's longed for her entire life. At the same time she may have accidentally found herself falling into that sense of belonging she's craved through the very attempt of acquiring what the store advertises. If you got nothing better to do and an hour to waste on something cute, this may be the thing for you.

3 1/2 Uncle Freddies
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #1723 on: April 22, 2019, 10:41:58 PM »

Reminded me that I should watch the Other Side of the Wind and They'll Love Me When I'm Dead.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1724 on: April 23, 2019, 11:23:02 PM »
"I Think You Should Leave With Tim Robinson," the greatest show since Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1725 on: April 24, 2019, 05:57:07 PM »
Anyone see that new “black summer” zombie show? I’m as burned out on zombies as anyone who likes sifi/post apocalyptic/survival horror, but I thought it was really good.  I will warn you thats not the general consensus.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #1726 on: April 24, 2019, 06:17:40 PM »
Anyone see that new “black summer” zombie show? I’m as burned out on zombies as anyone who likes sifi/post apocalyptic/survival horror, but I thought it was really good.  I will warn you thats not the general consensus.

Yeah I didn't mind this, you could tell it was filmed with a really low budget (so many scenes of them walking through doors left me wondering why are they not closing them to shut zombies out but realized they left it open for the camera man to walk through after them haha). Overall though I did enjoy it and burnt through it pretty quick.

Googan Christmas

« Reply #1727 on: April 24, 2019, 06:27:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I didn't mind this, you could tell it was filmed with a really low budget (so many scenes of them walking through doors left me wondering why are they not closing them to shut zombies out but realized they left it open for the camera man to walk through after them haha). Overall though I did enjoy it and burnt through it pretty quick.

Ha I didn’t even notice that.  Some of the plot lines were dumb, but for whatever reason I was able to overlook that, maybe cause the pacing was fast.  I really appreciated the lack of dialogue in it. And the choice to not translate what the person not speaking English was saying.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #1728 on: April 28, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
Losers is a good series. Tightly edited, intriguing stories.

Googan Christmas

« Reply #1729 on: April 28, 2019, 09:18:39 PM »
Losers is a good series. Tightly edited, intriguing stories.

Yes! Losers is a great series, one if the best uses of animation in storytelling I’ve ever seen.

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1730 on: May 09, 2019, 10:36:56 PM »
This is on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Made by the same folks as "King of Kong."

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #1731 on: May 29, 2019, 11:25:44 AM »
Have seen this as a recommendation for me for a long time and finally saw it last night. Sam Rockwell's acting was the best part in my opinion, but it's a fun watch:

Also, this just got added and while I don't think it's a great movie, it was entertaining with some fun twists:

Irvine-Sucks.com

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1732 on: May 29, 2019, 11:28:10 AM »
"I Think You Should Leave With Tim Robinson," the greatest show since Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

This show did something to me

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #1733 on: May 29, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It made me not want to watch any more of it after one episode.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #1734 on: May 29, 2019, 11:42:29 AM »
I'm not reading back through this entire thread, but "Ozark" was excellent.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #1735 on: May 29, 2019, 11:46:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My friend recommended it with a strong warning about what lies ahead. I thought the very first sketch, with the interview and him opening the door on the way out, was great, but definitely got too weird for me after that. There's some funny ones sprinkled in there, but definitely an odd experience.

Irvine-Sucks.com

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1736 on: May 29, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

My friend recommended it with a strong warning about what lies ahead. I thought the very first sketch, with the interview and him opening the door on the way out, was great, but definitely got too weird for me after that. There's some funny ones sprinkled in there, but definitely an odd experience.

It has 1 or 2 good parts per episode which I think is fair for a low budget 15 minute sketch show starring someone I'd never heard of. The very specific lawyer commercial and baby of the year were worth the 27 minutes.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1737 on: May 29, 2019, 12:14:50 PM »
Let my wife eat that fucking receipt!

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #1738 on: June 01, 2019, 09:38:22 PM »
Let my wife eat that fucking receipt!

Screaming and bad pacing, two cornerstones of a funny sketch. Maybe I'll give it a another go at some point.

It's not on Netflix but man, HBO's Chernobyl has been bleak greatness so far.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #1739 on: June 02, 2019, 05:24:20 AM »
Oh, and Booksmart was decent enough. Grown-ups talking through high school aged characters creeped in at times but it had funny moments.