Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 383092 times)

Deputy Wendell

Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2130 on: August 05, 2020, 05:07:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Town is back on. It's my favorite Jeremy Renner role by far. He works best more as a bad guy/scummy dude than the Marvel role he plays. Also, I'm just a sucker for Boston and bank robbery movies.

The first 3 Jurassic Parks are up and Nightcrawler will be back on the 10th of this month. Also I remember really liking Safety Not Guaranteed, which will be back on the 13th.
[close]

Do you know of any other bank robbery or heist type movies that aren't heat or den of thieves? For some unknown reason my favorite movies sit in this genre but are hard to come by. I've even watched the north hollywood shootout documentary & movie multiple times and thoroughly enjoyed both.
[close]

Inside Man is currently streaming on Netflix. That's a fun one. Also, they just took it down unfortunately, but Hell Or High Water is one of my favorite movies within the last 5 years or so. If you can find a way to watch it, I'd highly recommend it. Drive isn't bank robberies, but it's a great movie.

Hell or High Water is outstanding and a lot more than just a bank-robbery movie--especially as regards issues of class...almost makes me think of films like John Ford's version of Grapes of Wrath or the first Bonnie and Clyde...like this scene here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfiffjWby4

Taylor Sheridan is one of the best screenwriters this country has produced--Hell or High Water, Sicario, and Wind River are all incredible

AsianVegan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #2131 on: August 05, 2020, 05:40:57 PM »
For real, that trio of films is sooo good. I know he writes or produces Yellowstone on TV but I've never checked it out.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2132 on: August 06, 2020, 05:36:25 AM »
For real, that trio of films is sooo good. I know he writes or produces Yellowstone on TV but I've never checked it out.

i did not know he wrote for tv...will have to check that out, thanks.

since y'all were talking about the bank-robbery genre and i mentioned the original Bonnie and Clyde above (from 1967 with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway), The Highway Men is on Netflix right now and actually pretty fucking good as well--even if it is trying to make Texas Ranger Frank Hamer (Kevin Costner) look like he was some kind of civilized human being (all joking aside, i think it does an interesting job of balancing out how he is represented in the original film). Woody Harrelson is on point as Ranger Maney Gault too. here's the trailer, which is of course all ham-handed and cheesy and shit (there is no music like that in the actual film thank god) so don't let it deter you from the film, which is good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH6vC-BBKOc

i could discuss all day how/why a film is taking Hamer and the ranger's side in our current day and age in this country--it really does seem to be countering the original film, by clearly representing Bonnie and Clyde as the more monstrous of the sides and Hamer as a kind of misunderstood hero. it removed any suggestion that they were practicing a kind of class warfare against the banks and the state that protects the banks' money, and just makes Bonnie and Clyde seem like nihilistic and/or gratuitous murderers out on a drunken killing spree...

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #2133 on: August 06, 2020, 06:47:46 AM »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2134 on: August 06, 2020, 04:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
The Town is back on. It's my favorite Jeremy Renner role by far. He works best more as a bad guy/scummy dude than the Marvel role he plays. Also, I'm just a sucker for Boston and bank robbery movies.

The first 3 Jurassic Parks are up and Nightcrawler will be back on the 10th of this month. Also I remember really liking Safety Not Guaranteed, which will be back on the 13th.
[close]

Do you know of any other bank robbery or heist type movies that aren't heat or den of thieves? For some unknown reason my favorite movies sit in this genre but are hard to come by. I've even watched the north hollywood shootout documentary & movie multiple times and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Killing Zoe is a pretty good one but I don't think it's on Netflix anymore.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #2135 on: August 06, 2020, 04:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Inside Man is currently streaming on Netflix. That's a fun one. Also, they just took it down unfortunately, but Hell Or High Water is one of my favorite movies within the last 5 years or so. If you can find a way to watch it, I'd highly recommend it. Drive isn't bank robberies, but it's a great movie.
[close]

Hell or High Water is outstanding and a lot more than just a bank-robbery movie--especially as regards issues of class...almost makes me think of films like John Ford's version of Grapes of Wrath or the first Bonnie and Clyde...like this scene here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfiffjWby4

Taylor Sheridan is one of the best screenwriters this country has produced--Hell or High Water, Sicario, and Wind River are all incredible

Definitely agree. Hell or High Water is one of those movies I watch about once every 6 months and always get something new out of it. I do the same with No Country For Old Men. I'll never get old of them.

Irvine-Sucks.com

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2136 on: August 17, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i did not know he wrote for tv...will have to check that out, thanks.

since y'all were talking about the bank-robbery genre and i mentioned the original Bonnie and Clyde above (from 1967 with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway), The Highway Men is on Netflix right now and actually pretty fucking good as well--even if it is trying to make Texas Ranger Frank Hamer (Kevin Costner) look like he was some kind of civilized human being (all joking aside, i think it does an interesting job of balancing out how he is represented in the original film). Woody Harrelson is on point as Ranger Maney Gault too. here's the trailer, which is of course all ham-handed and cheesy and shit (there is no music like that in the actual film thank god) so don't let it deter you from the film, which is good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH6vC-BBKOc

i could discuss all day how/why a film is taking Hamer and the ranger's side in our current day and age in this country--it really does seem to be countering the original film, by clearly representing Bonnie and Clyde as the more monstrous of the sides and Hamer as a kind of misunderstood hero. it removed any suggestion that they were practicing a kind of class warfare against the banks and the state that protects the banks' money, and just makes Bonnie and Clyde seem like nihilistic and/or gratuitous murderers out on a drunken killing spree...

Yeah i really enjoyed the highway men too.

on a completly different vibe my wife has been watching 'somebody feed Phil' that man is so contagiously positive. its a real easy show to watch

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #2137 on: August 22, 2020, 09:45:25 PM »
Binged Peaky Blinders.
Enjoyed Killing Them Softly.
Loved Trumbo.  Period pieces make me feel some type of way.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #2138 on: September 10, 2020, 05:26:52 AM »
https://youtu.be/uaaC57tcci0

As far as the internet goes Slap doesn’t seem so bad.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2139 on: September 10, 2020, 07:18:28 AM »
Binged Peaky Blinders.
Enjoyed Killing Them Softly.
Loved Trumbo.  Period pieces make me feel some type of way.

Really enjoyed killing them softly. Not sure why the critics seemed to have shat on it ...
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2141 on: September 10, 2020, 09:52:04 AM »
Lucifer
Cobra Kai
and Worlds Most wanted
are on my suggests

blowjobtofakie

• Rep: 103
« Reply #2142 on: September 10, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »
Lucifer
Cobra Kai
and Worlds Most wanted
are on my suggests

I started watching worlds most wanted last night, it’s not too bad.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2143 on: September 10, 2020, 11:03:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Lucifer
Cobra Kai
and Worlds Most wanted
are on my suggests
[close]

I started watching worlds most wanted last night, it’s not too bad.

White Widow Episode is some dark shit

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #2144 on: September 10, 2020, 02:34:53 PM »
Lucifer
Cobra Kai
and Worlds Most wanted
are on my suggests

Just burnt through season one of this, was surprised how much I liked it. Danny sucks!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2145 on: September 10, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Lucifer
Cobra Kai
and Worlds Most wanted
are on my suggests
[close]

Just burnt through season one of this, was surprised how much I liked it. Danny sucks!
haha I burned through both seasons...season 2 smashed it out the park.  The Last episode I know the took reference from my fav Takashi Miike movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bIaW4w4UMk

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2146 on: September 11, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
KINGDOM

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2147 on: September 11, 2020, 01:32:43 PM »

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #2148 on: September 15, 2020, 10:49:56 PM »
The two babysitter movies make for a fun watch.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #2149 on: October 03, 2020, 12:38:17 PM »
Just finished Halt and Catch Fire. Fantastic series focusing on a startup during the 1980s PC/tech boom.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2150 on: October 03, 2020, 01:12:11 PM »
New season of Fargo is dropping and Chris Rock is one of the main stars.....

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #2151 on: October 03, 2020, 01:46:52 PM »
The new cobra Kai is just fucking amazing.

Watched both seasons last weekend and I’m dying to get to the third.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2152 on: October 04, 2020, 06:25:01 AM »
HARDCORE Henry is the second best

Mad Max being the greatest movie of all time
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2153 on: October 04, 2020, 08:41:04 AM »
Anybody watched challenger?  Very gripping.  I was 9 when it happened and one of the few kids who didn’t see it happen on tv in school. 

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #2154 on: October 04, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
Anybody watched challenger?  Very gripping.  I was 9 when it happened and one of the few kids who didn’t see it happen on tv in school.
I was in 3rd grade I think.  Our class didn't see the explosion somehow, and on the bus home my whole class thought everyone was playing a joke on us saying it exploded. Got home and realized it was indeed true.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2155 on: October 05, 2020, 01:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote

Oh my god....I want my two hours back....

I respectfully disagree with this.

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #2156 on: October 05, 2020, 08:09:34 PM »
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but- Love, Death and Robots is fucking hectic.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #2157 on: October 06, 2020, 08:14:10 AM »
I'm a couple years late but Mindhunter is perfect for October. I tried to watch it a couple years ago, but that was when my gf and I first started dating and it got Netflix and Chill'd. It's about the FBI agents that started to study serial killers before they came up with the term serial killer, and the profiling and stuff they do to try and figure out how someone like that thinks and acts. So on the show you see them interviewing all these famous serial killers like Son of Sam, Ed Kemper etc. I gave it another show a couple weeks ago and finished it in like a week.

Its a really good show and no just because they have all these famous killers. Its actually extremely well rounded. Cinematography would have some appreciation for the editing, camera work and perfect soundtrack. Some of my favorites songs are scattered throughout the show.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2158 on: October 06, 2020, 08:44:35 AM »
I'm a couple years late but Mindhunter is perfect for October. I tried to watch it a couple years ago, but that was when my gf and I first started dating and it got Netflix and Chill'd. It's about the FBI agents that started to study serial killers before they came up with the term serial killer, and the profiling and stuff they do to try and figure out how someone like that thinks and acts. So on the show you see them interviewing all these famous serial killers like Son of Sam, Ed Kemper etc. I gave it another show a couple weeks ago and finished it in like a week.

Its a really good show and no just because they have all these famous killers. Its actually extremely well rounded. Cinematography would have some appreciation for the editing, camera work and perfect soundtrack. Some of my favorites songs are scattered throughout the show.

agree, i got sucked right into it and watched it right though the first time--i actually just put it back on my list to rewatch. it's been a minute, but i feel like i remember all of the scenes focused on Edmund Kempe being pretty fucking tense. i knew this scene would be on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-IgKyqR4QM

i forget, do they end it like there's the possibility of more episodes?

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #2159 on: October 06, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
That’s the end of season 1 and season 2 has another dope ending. They are on a hiatus right now because the guy is directing a movie and they didn’t want to hold everyone to contract if they didn’t have a shooting schedule. In The Light is my favorite Led Zeppelin song so when it came on I was stoked. So many good tracks. But that is a great great sequence I’ve watched a couple times. Season 2 has a great sequence set to M.E. when they are doing stakeouts. 

I forgot to mention how accurate it is as well. A lot of the dialogue is verbatim from the actual jail house interviews with killers. Even just how they talk about certain crimes shut down a lot of legend that has grown about them in real life.