Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 383214 times)

finecojeffe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2160 on: October 06, 2020, 09:00:51 AM »
In The Light is my favorite Led Zeppelin song so when it came on I was stoked. So many good tracks. But that is a great great sequence I’ve watched a couple times. Season 2 has a great sequence set to M.E. when they are doing stakeouts. 

The use of that song was perfect

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #2161 on: October 06, 2020, 09:13:47 AM »

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #2162 on: October 12, 2020, 09:25:54 AM »
Watching The Last Dance now and it’s pretty damn good

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2163 on: October 18, 2020, 02:55:20 AM »
any watched the Haunting of Bly Manor yet?

i really liked hill House so was looking forward to this, it started real strong but the ending was a bit meh

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2164 on: October 18, 2020, 12:58:45 PM »
My Octopus Teacher was really good.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Acky Jacky

« Reply #2165 on: October 18, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »
My Octopus Teacher was really good.

Me and my gf watched this it is pretty fascinating. Funny and emotional, but not too heavy.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2166 on: October 24, 2020, 11:48:10 AM »
Not sure if it's on netflix/stan/whatever but I'm halfway through Nathan Barley and it's sheer comic genius.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2167 on: October 24, 2020, 12:17:07 PM »
Not sure if it's on netflix/stan/whatever but I'm halfway through Nathan Barley and it's sheer comic genius.

THIR FUCKIN TEEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LyNrfYKTts

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #2168 on: October 25, 2020, 12:27:15 PM »
David Fincher basically said there isn’t going to be another season of Mindhunter, despite all the foreshadowing in the first two.  Apparently it was too expensive to make and wasn’t getting enough views?  Seems like odd reasoning for a show that’s mostly filmed in dark rooms and that the entire internet raves about.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #2169 on: October 26, 2020, 12:12:23 AM »
How to With John Wilson seems promising based on the first episode.
https://youtu.be/w7aSybHRa6s

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2170 on: October 27, 2020, 01:19:38 AM »
I feel like I talk about Ti West on here more than skateboarding, but I just watched In A Valley Of Violence.  Really well done western, and the dog actor (dogtor?) gave a better performance than most stars in MCU movies.

I can't vouch for the trailer, but the whole movie is awesome and i just wanted to give some context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFD4f1_eZno

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #2171 on: October 27, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »

i really liked hill House so was looking forward to this, it started real strong but the ending was a bit meh

Hill House is haunting me.

Grand Army is a pretty gnarly look at high school (basically a less trippy/stylized Euphoria) and makes me glad I graduated 15 years ago, pre-iphone/most modern social media.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2172 on: October 27, 2020, 08:42:13 AM »
I feel like I talk about Ti West on here more than skateboarding, but I just watched In A Valley Of Violence.  Really well done western, and the dog actor (dogtor?) gave a better performance than most stars in MCU movies.

I can't vouch for the trailer, but the whole movie is awesome and i just wanted to give some context.

Superb film, I once described it as "kind of like John Wick as a western".
Not technically a western but heavily influenced by the genre is Red Hill...

https://youtu.be/9vafKLgdg94
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2173 on: October 28, 2020, 06:16:06 PM »
https://www.netflix.com/title/81002576

Only saw one episode of The Pharmacist but it nearly had me in tears. Hope the next 3 episodes are as good.

Statebird

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2174 on: October 29, 2020, 08:20:25 AM »
Liked Trial of the Chicago 7 alot, sbc killed it

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #2175 on: October 30, 2020, 11:49:56 PM »
Almost finished Bly manor, was looking forward to it cause haunting of hillhouse was dope. Its holding up, got two episodes left.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #2176 on: November 27, 2020, 11:22:16 PM »
So good

Irvine-Sucks.com

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2177 on: December 03, 2020, 03:48:02 AM »
So good

watched this before i went to sleep last night--i did not expect to be as moved as i was by this...

...it was beautiful and thought-provoking on so many levels, and definitely heart-breaking at points, but i just kept thinking about how terrifying it would be to have a connection to and care about a living thing like that octopus, whose life you already know is going to be so short and who lives in such a ubiquitously ultra-violent place like the ocean...

...i'm definitely going to have to watch again...

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
« Reply #2178 on: December 03, 2020, 04:34:35 AM »
its on HBO, not netflix but.. did anyone watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7aSybHRa6s

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #2179 on: December 03, 2020, 06:08:09 AM »
I think @heckler was posting about it in another thread

I've only seen this clip on it:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU
I still don't know what it's about at all, but I really wanna watch it now

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2180 on: December 03, 2020, 06:15:11 AM »
@childhood yeah, I had a little back-and-forth with a few people in the show in another thread. It's kind of like a gentler Nathan For You (which makes sense, as Nathan is an executive producer). Check out www.johnsmovies.com, he has a bunch of webisodes up and you can kind of get a feel for the show from there.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #2181 on: December 04, 2020, 08:23:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hill House is haunting me.

Grand Army is a pretty gnarly look at high school (basically a less trippy/stylized Euphoria) and makes me glad I graduated 15 years ago, pre-iphone/most modern social media.
I watched Grand Army last weekend. I graduated only 5 years ago ago and found this show so damn relatable it’s insane. I remember the public high school across from my grade school would have a fake bomb threat like every week. Also fuck that “No-tolerance policy”

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2182 on: December 06, 2020, 12:57:42 AM »
David Fincher basically said there isn’t going to be another season of Mindhunter, despite all the foreshadowing in the first two.  Apparently it was too expensive to make and wasn’t getting enough views?  Seems like odd reasoning for a show that’s mostly filmed in dark rooms and that the entire internet raves about.

It’s more that he’s too busy to give his input and direct and eps so he ended it.  Fincher uses a fuckton of cgi you wouldn’t think about and basically blew up two Go shows for HBO over budget issues.  Quality isn’t cheap. 

If you’re ever in Hollywood/Los Feliz he’s got a pretty notable office building off Hollywood and Gramercy.  You’d recognize it from the beginning of LA Confidential

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2183 on: December 06, 2020, 09:18:46 AM »
Hopefully he comes back to it at some point. I think there is still are still a lot of stories to be told there.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2184 on: December 06, 2020, 03:52:28 PM »
Altered carbon the animated one is Ill.

The film black 47? It's like Rambo in the potato famine era.

The Nightingale. It's like mad max the british prison colony era.

Decent brutal film. Kinda right winger tho.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #2185 on: December 06, 2020, 05:19:47 PM »
I thought The Undoing on HBO was pretty good, if you liked Big Little Lies I'd recommend it
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2186 on: December 06, 2020, 05:32:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s more that he’s too busy to give his input and direct and eps so he ended it.  Fincher uses a fuckton of cgi you wouldn’t think about and basically blew up two Go shows for HBO over budget issues.  Quality isn’t cheap. 

If you’re ever in Hollywood/Los Feliz he’s got a pretty notable office building off Hollywood and Gramercy.  You’d recognize it from the beginning of LA Confidential

The way I understand it is that Netflix’s percentage decreases every season. Unless they are certain that a particular show is drawing eyeballs to the service, it doesn’t really matter if the show is successful because the economics stop favoring Netflix.

Unfortunately this has left a whole lot of incomplete series. It would be better if creators started operating under the assumption they will be writing a limited series.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2187 on: December 06, 2020, 11:24:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The way I understand it is that Netflix’s percentage decreases every season. Unless they are certain that a particular show is drawing eyeballs to the service, it doesn’t really matter if the show is successful because the economics stop favoring Netflix.

Unfortunately this has left a whole lot of incomplete series. It would be better if creators started operating under the assumption they will be writing a limited series.

That’s definitely a thing they do, but three seasons is usually where they cut it off unless the cost is exorbitant like in Altered Carbon and that Baz Luhrman show about the birth of hip hop.   Fincher has an unrivaled leash in Hollywood and pretty much calls his own shots to the point where he can call the shots on his posters, etc.   he’s got a deal with Netflix (Mank written by his dad that he directed, premiered Friday) and Netflix keeps their creators happy and will let him do what he wants to do especially if he wants to keep doing it with them.   Keep in mind, HBO didn’t go forward with Utopia or Video Synchronicity bc of budget issues so I’m sure Fincher likes being at a place that gives him a blank check.   Netflix wants legitimacy in its film department and he’s part of the respectability

Also, it’s on Starz, but I recommend checking out Go.  Not great, but a pretty fun 90s movie

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #2188 on: December 13, 2020, 06:35:05 PM »

Gonna peep this. Almost took a chance on it the other day. Love westerns.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2189 on: December 13, 2020, 10:23:24 PM »
Mank is outstanding.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)