Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 383037 times)

Cool Ceith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2220 on: January 08, 2021, 08:59:35 AM »
Ted Lasso is hitting me in the feels right now.
Agreed.

Saiki K. on Netflix is hilarious, fast-paced comedy.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2221 on: January 08, 2021, 09:16:55 AM »
got sucked in to Derry Girls and was bummed that the two seasons went by so quick--i think i miss about half of what they say, so i watch it with subtitles.

i'm not comparing the times and places, but still, it feels like the stories of a group of teenage girls just trying to be teenage girls during the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland might have some value to young folks in the good Ol' US of A currently.

i dig all of the characters, but the head nun (Sister Michael) at their school is fucking hilarious at times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zogCo3flBsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w11TI397hcc

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #2222 on: January 09, 2021, 02:44:39 AM »
got sucked in to Derry Girls and was bummed that the two seasons went by so quick--i think i miss about half of what they say, so i watch it with subtitles.

i'm not comparing the times and places, but still, it feels like the stories of a group of teenage girls just trying to be teenage girls during the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland might have some value to young folks in the good Ol' US of A currently.

i dig all of the characters, but the head nun (Sister Michael) at their school is fucking hilarious at times

The most recent season of Great British Bake Off Holiday Edition (forget the exact title) has an ep with the cast in competition that’s pretty damn charming

If you like this shoe, Moone Boy on Hulu should be watched.  Remember when you do that JoJo Rabbit came out many many years after.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2223 on: January 09, 2021, 06:32:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The most recent season of Great British Bake Off Holiday Edition (forget the exact title) has an ep with the cast in competition that’s pretty damn charming

If you like this shoe, Moone Boy on Hulu should be watched.  Remember when you do that JoJo Rabbit came out many many years after.

copy that...i'm much obliged...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2224 on: January 09, 2021, 07:18:08 AM »
On the teenage girl tip....chewing gum is super funny and I liked pen15 too...

The show I recently binge watched and felt bad it was over was 'this country'....

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2225 on: January 09, 2021, 10:33:20 PM »
On the teenage girl tip....chewing gum is super funny and I liked pen15 too...

The show I recently binge watched and felt bad it was over was 'this country'....

If you liked chewing gum, please check out Michaela Coel’s newer show “I May Destroy You”.  It’s a heavy subject matter but one of the better shows from last year. 

For 30 Rock fans:  Mr Mayor (by Tina Fey/Robert Carlock) just started and the Saved by the Bell revival is written/staffed with 30 Rock writers.  I cared nothing for the original, but im a few eps in to the new one and I’m super on board with it.   

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2226 on: January 10, 2021, 10:51:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hey Atiba, i watched that Bake Off episode and loved it, thanks...definitely all feel good (i'll take it where i can get it these days) and "charming" is a perfect way to put it. i came across this weirdness when i was first looking for a way to watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjqDyt2McJQ

of course, leave it to Sister Michael to make me laugh the most...when she was trying to introduce that last cake she tried making and couldn't stop laughing at how "weird" it ended up looking...great stuff...

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #2227 on: January 10, 2021, 08:22:26 PM »
Not Netflix,  but any of you watched watching "Your honour",   
have not watched a series that I liked in a while this looks interesting

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2228 on: January 10, 2021, 08:35:15 PM »

There are parts that work for me but the big flaw is the son character.   A lot of dramas try and do the vehicular manslaughter storyline in the 2nd or 3rd season (ray donovan, homeland) because they’ve run out of things for the protagonists’ kids to do, as if anyone gives a shit about them.   So if you can stomach that and the obnoxious self-sabotage that comes from the act.  The other part of the story is interesting in a pulpy way.  The justification for why he helps his son cover it up sold me initially.  I’m at ep 6 now and still between whether I like and and whether I’m seeing it through because it’s a mini-series. 

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2229 on: January 11, 2021, 01:38:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There are parts that work for me but the big flaw is the son character.   A lot of dramas try and do the vehicular manslaughter storyline in the 2nd or 3rd season (ray donovan, homeland) because they’ve run out of things for the protagonists’ kids to do, as if anyone gives a shit about them.   So if you can stomach that and the obnoxious self-sabotage that comes from the act.  The other part of the story is interesting in a pulpy way.  The justification for why he helps his son cover it up sold me initially.  I’m at ep 6 now and still between whether I like and and whether I’m seeing it through because it’s a mini-series.

Cheers,  the son was annoying from the get go .. on episode 3 and not sold...
The storyline seems sloppy,  not sure if this is intenional.. 

The worried father scenes are a bore and I don't get this crime family..
 anyway I'll probably watch finish it coz I'm a sucker...   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2230 on: January 11, 2021, 03:44:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cheers,  the son was annoying from the get go .. on episode 3 and not sold...
The storyline seems sloppy,  not sure if this is intenional.. 

The worried father scenes are a bore and I don't get this crime family..
 anyway I'll probably watch finish it coz I'm a sucker...   

That’s how I feel.  It’s a pandemic and I’m still on the furlough so I’m not as picky.  Tons of good shit starts up 1/15 though. 

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2231 on: January 11, 2021, 08:20:38 AM »
I watched „weapon of choice“ a documentary on GLOCK the other night. Really liked it.

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2232 on: January 11, 2021, 07:50:20 PM »
club de cuervos

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2233 on: January 11, 2021, 08:42:05 PM »
999 is pretty good.

If you mixed the breaking bad kid with Casey Affleck you may end up with a GG Allin clone
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2234 on: January 13, 2021, 06:24:39 PM »
The Night Stalker netflix series that just came out is surprisingly good
A lot of stuff I'd never heard before about Richard Ramirez

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #2235 on: January 13, 2021, 08:53:25 PM »
The Night Stalker netflix series that just came out is surprisingly good
A lot of stuff I'd never heard before about Richard Ramirez

me and my girl are starting this tonight, keen on it

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2236 on: January 14, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »
999 is pretty good.

If you mixed the breaking bad kid with Casey Affleck you may end up with a GG Allin clone
I enjoyed "Den of Thieves" too.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #2237 on: January 14, 2021, 11:27:46 PM »
Expand Quote
999 is pretty good.

[close]
I enjoyed "Den of Thieves" too.

Just watched Den of Thieves tonight and thought it was entertaining. Anyone else notice how the one dude who was one of the bad guys had a Thrasher shirt on, then an Independent shirt, then a McGills Skateshop shirt, and then a Skeleton Key hat? Quite a lot of skate references from one actor in a movie.

Irvine-Sucks.com

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #2238 on: January 17, 2021, 09:41:11 PM »
Been binging on netflix lately...

Triple 9   
Basic Instinct 
Hangman
Nocturnal Animals: depressing however always love anything with Michael Shannon.
Blue Ruin: same director as Green Room 

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2239 on: February 05, 2021, 11:25:38 AM »
HBO Max just put up the 3rd season of Gomorrah and it was just as amazing as the previous two.  Not sure if anybody else on here watches it, but in my opinion makes the Sopranos looks like a 7th Heaven.  Apparently the fourth season is already over with, but it takes forever to be made available in the US. 

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #2240 on: February 05, 2021, 12:53:08 PM »
I haven't seen the show, but I love the movie that's based on the same book.

I did just start watching ZeroZeroZero though, which is based on another book by the same author.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2241 on: February 22, 2021, 02:02:50 PM »
this fucking scene though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvdgNLkqd8

the most important part of this scene is dude flipping these dipshits off while driving by to save their lives

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #2242 on: February 22, 2021, 04:41:44 PM »
Finished Your Honor last night.  Sure, it’s no Breaking Bad, some parts were a bit far fetched and some things could’ve been delved into further.  But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t on the edge of my seat throughout the entire series, and satisfied with how it wrapped up.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #2243 on: February 22, 2021, 06:49:13 PM »
Wife and I have been watching Crime Scene: Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel. It just keeps getting weirder. Similar to that Don’t Fuck with Cats 4 parter that was on Netflix last year.

Get hungry on it!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2244 on: February 23, 2021, 11:34:54 AM »
Wife and I have been watching Crime Scene: Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel. It just keeps getting weirder. Similar to that Don’t Fuck with Cats 4 parter that was on Netflix last year.

People made it seem like a ghost story when it came out, the end conclusion of what likely happened really got me

It always amazes me how people want to to vacation in cali and they just get blasted by the amount of homelessness in the major cities (SF, LA, SD).  I worked in SF for a few years and almost daily i saw in broad day someone using heroin or crack in alleys

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #2245 on: February 23, 2021, 01:41:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

People made it seem like a ghost story when it came out, the end conclusion of what likely happened really got me

It always amazes me how people want to to vacation in cali and they just get blasted by the amount of homelessness in the major cities (SF, LA, SD).  I worked in SF for a few years and almost daily i saw in broad day someone using heroin or crack in alleys

I’ve seen the first episode, but few years ago read into her case an embarrassing amount...really bums me out around Halloween youtubers will use a thumbnail of her in the elevator and a shocked face, “wE PlAyeD ThE eLeVaToR GaMe”. Clickbait bullshit. I just feel so bad for her folks now having to relive it on Netflix. Hopefully they gave their blessing...
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #2246 on: February 23, 2021, 01:46:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I lived in LA for a little over a year and it was right after Guy Mariano's Epicly Later'd came out.  With him talking about skid row, and everything he went through I had to see it for myself. So a guy I worked with who had lived in LA his whole life took me down there.  I don't remember seeing the Cecil hotel specifically, but I can imagine how bad it was considering it was right there.

Get hungry on it!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2247 on: February 23, 2021, 11:05:44 PM »
HBO Max just put up the 3rd season of Gomorrah and it was just as amazing as the previous two.  Not sure if anybody else on here watches it, but in my opinion makes the Sopranos looks like a 7th Heaven.  Apparently the fourth season is already over with, but it takes forever to be made available in the US.
I think season four is going to be up relatively soon, along with the Ciro the Immortal prequel movie.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Nigel Houston

« Reply #2248 on: February 24, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »
The Midnight Sky was good, definitely better than critics said

I watched every episode of Somebody Feed Phil because no travel right now

The High Score video game series was solid

Ugly Delicious was good

And the Connor McGregor "Notorious" doc was enjoyable!

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2249 on: March 07, 2021, 10:23:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah, I lived in LA for a little over a year and it was right after Guy Mariano's Epicly Later'd came out.  With him talking about skid row, and everything he went through I had to see it for myself. So a guy I worked with who had lived in LA his whole life took me down there.  I don't remember seeing the Cecil hotel specifically, but I can imagine how bad it was considering it was right there.

does anyone else think that Cecil hotelthing could have easily been 2 episodes shorter - so much time spent on completely irrelevent speculation..

I watched 'Behind her eyes' with my wife last week.. pretty dull for the most part, the ender ender was an unexpected twist after the predictable one that came before it. the thing that got me the most about the show is how good looking Bono's daughter is!