Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 386060 times)

Carrolls Chesthairs and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Deputy Wendell

Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2340 on: November 01, 2021, 05:55:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i'm too lazy to look to see if it's been mentioned already, and i know i'm late to the table on this, but i've been completely sucked into Bloodline the past couple of weeks...fucking Florida man...
[close]

I’ve ranted on bloodline so many times on how great it is… incredibly underrated. Great intro song, writing, acting. Ben Mendelsohn’s best work IMO.
[close]
Couldn't agree more. Beautiful setting too. Also can't believe Kevin did that! Starting season 3. Fucking Florida Man

it's good to see the Bloodline love...and season 3 is hectic. funny you mention the setting, because as beautiful as the keys and that part of Florida is, i think the filmmakers are doing some compelling things with how precarious and impermanent all of that part of the country is too and is going to be...like all of those aerial tracking shots where it will cut from some crazy stressful shit going down in the story, right to a character driving (often Kyle Chandler's character, John) alone on some fucked stretch of highway on stilts over an ocean that is inevitably going to take all of that shit back. i know they're meant to be kind of interludes, but in my eyes, those aerial shots of lone cars driving over water on those stretches of highway do a lot to mirror the general feelings of precariousness, isolation, impermanence, and anxiety that permeate the series.

in a series that is so much about the perhaps futility of families seeking familial immortality, as it were, impermanence and precariousness radiating from the fucking landscape just seems to amplify how fucked things are for the Rayburn family as things unravel, and of course for anyone who has the misfortune to get tangled up with them...

Hinna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #2341 on: November 01, 2021, 03:37:13 PM »
spriggan remake should be gnarly

Dead to Me

« Reply #2342 on: November 01, 2021, 06:14:51 PM »
Anyone watching "You" on Netflix>

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #2343 on: November 02, 2021, 03:49:22 AM »
Deputy, I enjoyed reading your analysis. You should write more insight about other shows/films. Always sad to finish an intriguing, entertaining series. Stellar staff with the exception of John's son. Quite unremarkable with not much dialogue/action. Very nice contrast to see Belle stand by. John's wife towards the end reminded me of Skyler from Breaking Bad. I also liked Marco's mannerisms during interviews and delivery/tone of Danny's voice.   

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2344 on: November 02, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »
spriggan remake should be gnarly

got the pirate version of the original when it released in the late 90s and it didnt have subtitles watched it a million times and never understood any of the dialogue

Keep forgetting to see it with subtitles 

Im usually Hyped on a lot of the anime remakes

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2345 on: November 05, 2021, 12:39:52 PM »
New season of Narcos Mexico out today. Looper available on December 1st. Only saw it once years ago, remember loving

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #2346 on: November 05, 2021, 03:41:54 PM »

yeah, I literally just finished the new season. I got sucked into after the second season came out lol

its not amazing but its entertaining enough to keep my attention. I do like that they try to make you empathize with the main character but if you take a step back he is essentially the BTK killer but even worse haha

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2347 on: November 07, 2021, 09:50:58 PM »
"The Harder They Fall" was fun.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2348 on: November 07, 2021, 09:58:15 PM »
New season of Narcos Mexico out today. Looper available on December 1st. Only saw it once years ago, remember loving

Finished it and sorta didn’t like it…they played into the walking dead style screen time drag out

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2349 on: November 08, 2021, 11:44:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Finished it and sorta didn’t like it…they played into the walking dead style screen time drag out
Yeah agree with you, a couple episodes not as captivating. Binge watching late at night, almost fell asleep during one lol.  Enjoyed the season however felt a little unfulfilled with the ending especially with the creators saying that's the last season. Would have been crazy see another season with part of an episode portraying El Chapo's prison escapes, Los Zetas, Knights Templar Cartel, MS-13 involvement with the cartels, & fentanyl origins. When I was a kid, found out about the Juarez Fermicide through this song... 

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2350 on: November 08, 2021, 11:54:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yeah agree with you, a couple episodes not as captivating. Binge watching late at night, almost fell asleep during one lol.  Enjoyed the season however felt a little unfulfilled with the ending especially with the creators saying that's the last season. Would have been crazy see another season with part of an episode portraying El Chapo's prison escapes, Los Zetas, Knights Templar Cartel, MS-13 involvement with the cartels, & fentanyl origins. When I was a kid, found out about the Juarez Fermicide through this song... 

I think I watched this as I was doing other shit in the house, and was seriously hoping there was gonna be more Chapo and Ms13 near the end.  The Femecide things was actually fucked, not knowing about it at all, kind of killed the whole vibe for me.

The Chapo shoot out scene when he was dressed as a cop was dope tho, airport shoot out was good too

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #2351 on: November 08, 2021, 07:21:44 PM »
Inside Job is pretty funny.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #2352 on: November 09, 2021, 08:32:12 AM »
Started Dopesick on Hulu and it's pretty good so far.

Get hungry on it!

pro club blanks

« Reply #2353 on: November 15, 2021, 09:59:14 PM »
Its not netflix per say, but me and my wife binged what we do in the shadows the series and literally could not be happier with it

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2354 on: November 21, 2021, 12:12:29 AM »
Tear Along The Dotted Line. Fast-paced cartoon, funny and tragic and very well done.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2355 on: November 22, 2021, 08:09:01 AM »
We’re 2 episodes in on Wheel of Time. I kind of hate it, but it’s entertaining. There’s something about the way it’s filmed that drives me nuts; it might be the digital processing, I don’t know, but it makes everything look low budget.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2356 on: December 13, 2021, 09:13:40 AM »
Its not netflix per say, but me and my wife binged what we do in the shadows the series and literally could not be happier with it

Holy shit YES!  my good lady wife and i also just binged all 3 seasons recently.. We were reluctant cos welove the movie and didnt want a shit spin off to run it but it is So fuckng good, Id go as far as saying its better than the movie

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #2357 on: December 16, 2021, 12:55:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, I literally just finished the new season. I got sucked into after the second season came out lol

its not amazing but its entertaining enough to keep my attention. I do like that they try to make you empathize with the main character but if you take a step back he is essentially the BTK killer but even worse haha
Really loved the first season, and the second was really good too, but in the third I started getting annoyed at how much more predictable and sloppy the writing and character development became.  Still suspenseful enough to keep you hooked, but I found myself getting pretty bored with Joe and Love repeating past actions/patterns over and over.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2358 on: December 16, 2021, 08:38:39 PM »
Hellbound. It’s on Netflix. Six episode Korean show, about people receiving prophecies of their deaths and then being banished to hell after being beaten to death by cgi ashen hulk monsters. It’s alright.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2359 on: December 18, 2021, 05:58:31 AM »
The Jake Burton documentary on HBO is pretty good although it stirs up all my weird feelings about snowboarding and wealth:

I love riding a snowboard, I dislike snowboarders, straight airs are beautiful, spinning more than 540 looks like ass, going snowboarding for two days costs as much as my yearly skate budget, it’s awesome he was driven by doing something that he thought was fun, his illnesses were super unfortunate but it seemed like a life anyone would be envious of. Also kind of made me question living in a city.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #2360 on: December 18, 2021, 08:33:39 AM »
We've seen the first couple episodes of The Good Lord Bird. It follows John Brown. It's not completely historically accurate, but it's entertaining. I think they glossed over the broadsword attacks, which was a bummer. Or perhaps it comes later.

Unsure of which streaming service it's on, as we torrent everything.

Edit: forgot a word
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 11:32:49 AM by PuffinMuffin »
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2361 on: December 18, 2021, 11:27:34 AM »
Just finished the 2nd season of witcher and its kind of a bore

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2362 on: December 18, 2021, 11:28:37 AM »
Basically since 30 Rock has been back on Netflix I've been watching that every night, but I finally cued up Darkest Hour and oh boy Gary Oldman is just an incredible physical actor. Watching him as WC half in the bag oscillating from bravado to realizing the losses of another world war is heavy.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 03:46:59 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #2363 on: December 18, 2021, 01:00:01 PM »
I recently finished watching Clickbait on netflix, think its been out a while but damn i enjoyed every episode of that...kept me hooked.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2364 on: December 18, 2021, 01:10:18 PM »
So boring you finished it in a day 🤣

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2365 on: December 18, 2021, 03:47:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you ever hear of fast forward

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2366 on: December 19, 2021, 12:01:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It was actually really fucking good. I did keep expecting them to make a sudden time switcheroo on me like in the first season. Glad they didn't.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2367 on: December 19, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
It was actually really fucking good. I did keep expecting them to make a sudden time switcheroo on me like in the first season. Glad they didn't.

It was all the whisper dialogue that fucked me, the action and CGI was on point. Yen was annoying this season

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2368 on: December 20, 2021, 04:56:14 PM »
If anyone hasn't seen it - Midnight Run is still on Netflix until Dec 31

Dead to Me

« Reply #2369 on: December 21, 2021, 08:43:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Really loved the first season, and the second was really good too, but in the third I started getting annoyed at how much more predictable and sloppy the writing and character development became.  Still suspenseful enough to keep you hooked, but I found myself getting pretty bored with Joe and Love repeating past actions/patterns over and over.
This season felt a lot less predictable than thesecond imo.I felt like the third season sort of painted Love as the crazier one and made Joe seem somehow more normal even though they’re both equally nuts.