Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387617 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2430 on: February 14, 2022, 08:52:08 AM »
Raised by Wolves is a weird one. Like it's both good and shit. Just as each episode gets good it ends so you want more but it's never really satisfying. Also it's a really good premise/themes but they seem really underdone. Probably would of been better as a movie (where you can get away with a bit less backstory/details) but I guess it would of been too long and long movies are out and series is in.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2431 on: February 14, 2022, 09:00:23 AM »

this is on right now...i hadn't seen this before--seriously fucking jarring and obviously especially important right now...

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2432 on: February 14, 2022, 09:12:27 AM »
I actually really enjoyed "Reacher".

me too, the fist fight scenes in the first few episodes was dope.  good fight choreography throughout the whole show

Yu Dum

« Reply #2433 on: February 18, 2022, 01:01:01 PM »
Also, Peacemaker is amazing
Agreed. Watched the season finale last night and it actually made me fucking cry. Didn't think I'd enjoy it that much; much less get attached to the characters, but it's a fantastic show. Plus, John Cena is a pretty cool human.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2434 on: February 19, 2022, 09:32:39 AM »
If you have kids or whatever monkey is on Netflix. It's a bit like 60s batman crossed with Super Sentai based on the journey east/west. Altho thinking back to my childhood it basically influenced a whole generation of kids to hit each other with rakes

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #2435 on: February 19, 2022, 07:06:44 PM »
I liked The Tinder Swindler. It's interesting to see how these stories play out in real life, where psychopaths attempt (and often succeed) in monetizing any type of fame.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #2436 on: February 19, 2022, 08:33:12 PM »

I did also. Just finished tonight.

Just started Severance and it is off to a good start.

blowjobtofakie

• Rep: 103
« Reply #2437 on: February 20, 2022, 05:34:55 PM »
God damn will someone make an HBO thread so I quit feeling like a dumbass looking these suggestions up on Netflix.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #2438 on: February 20, 2022, 05:49:39 PM »
God damn will someone make an HBO thread so I quit feeling like a dumbass looking these suggestions up on Netflix.

I watch everything on Amazon Fire Stick/Kodi/Oath so I don’t really know what is Netflix and what isn’t.

I just assumed this thread had become what’s streaming because of all the services now available.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #2439 on: February 20, 2022, 07:11:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I watch everything on Amazon Fire Stick/Kodi/Oath so I don’t really know what is Netflix and what isn’t.

I just assumed this thread had become what’s streaming because of all the services now available.
Yeah I post anything I watch from any streaming service. I just always preface it with which one I’m watching it on.

Get hungry on it!

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #2440 on: February 21, 2022, 12:33:54 AM »
Anyone watch the first part of the Kanye doc, jeen-yuhs?

Say what you will about the man as an artist/designer/celebrity/etc, but watching these early years, he was definitely determined. And we all know he eventually got what he wanted and more. But maybe it's not a good thing to get everything you want?

I'm looking forward the the next 2 installments. The rise and then the spiral into insanity. I don't envy famous people at all and I feel like this could be an honest depiction of how these celebrities really come undone. His interactions with Dug Infinite in the doc (no spoilers) are telling a lot.

I really like the guy behind the camera, Coodie, and his premonition that Kanye would be one of the biggest stars ever was a pretty good guess. It's pretty funny to think he decided to make a documentary on the man when he was living in Newark driving a beat-up Nissan Altima... he definitely saw something.

I loved the Lil Wayne doc that came out when Carter III was just out. I love these types of things about musicians who just work and work and hustle because it's not something that people tend to get a lot of the time. They're just rich and famous musicians who don't have "real jobs".

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2441 on: February 21, 2022, 09:37:23 AM »

Say what you will about the man as an artist/designer/celebrity/etc, but watching these early years, he was definitely determined. And we all know he eventually got what he wanted and more. But maybe it's not a good thing to get everything you want?

I'm looking forward the the next 2 installments. The rise and then the spiral into insanity. I don't envy famous people at all and I feel like this could be an honest depiction of how these celebrities really come undone. His interactions with Dug Infinite in the doc (no spoilers) are telling a lot.

I really like the guy behind the camera, Coodie, and his premonition that Kanye would be one of the biggest stars ever was a pretty good guess. It's pretty funny to think he decided to make a documentary on the man when he was living in Newark driving a beat-up Nissan Altima... he definitely saw something.

I loved the Lil Wayne doc that came out when Carter III was just out. I love these types of things about musicians who just work and work and hustle because it's not something that people tend to get a lot of the time. They're just rich and famous musicians who don't have "real jobs".

I hesitated to watch it, but glad I did.   

Best part was seeing the ghetto Kanye behind his desk on his MPC...so sick.  Knowing how much mainstream rap downplayed his rapping was fucked up, glad Mos-def and Talib Kweli knew to take a bet on him.  I still consider the black starr album a pivotal all time hip hop album, so its no surprised they help launch his rap career. 

also incredible how his mom supported him...wish we all had mothers like that.   

Also looking forward to the downward spiral, which i know is going to be a combination of his mom passing and dealing with the crazy ass kardashian family.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2442 on: February 21, 2022, 09:42:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Best part was seeing the ghetto Kanye behind his desk on his MPC...so sick.  Knowing how much mainstream rap downplayed his rapping was fucked up, glad Mos-def and Talib Kweli knew to take a bet on him.  I still consider the black starr album a pivotal all time hip hop album, so its no surprised they help launch his rap career. 

Also looking forward to the downward spiral, which i know is going to be a combination of his mom passing and dealing with the crazy ass kardashian family.
Would this be recommended for someone who doesn't like Kanye and maybe even doesn't like rap music in general? Is it a bit like the last dance where anyone can get it or do you kinda have to care about hip hop?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2443 on: February 21, 2022, 09:52:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Would this be recommended for someone who doesn't like Kanye and maybe even doesn't like rap music in general? Is it a bit like the last dance where anyone can get it or do you kinda have to care about hip hop?

I highly recommend but it might not be your cup of tea if not into the music industry 

Sports are different that art,  the drive to be the best is similar but the context for music is entirely subjective, sports its obvious, you win titles in high school/college and go pro.  Not so easy for music and art

I use to make beats and DJ back in the early 2000s and it was a unwritten law that beat makers arent supposed to rap.  When Madlib and Dilla broke that in the independent artist/label, it let the door open to Kayne who broke the commercial label rules of rap.  not so much a big deal nowadays, but back then it was like when dj's started scratching over records

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #2444 on: February 21, 2022, 03:30:48 PM »
That Lil Bow Wow moment in the beginning lol
So good so far, love young Kanye
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:05:51 PM by rawr1922 »

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #2445 on: February 21, 2022, 04:07:24 PM »
Stumbled onto the 2015 BBC show Banished on Hulu and I'm really enjoying it. Only ever got one season so I'm forcing myself to watch one at a time and stretch it out a bit.

beatifk

« Reply #2446 on: February 28, 2022, 08:58:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I highly recommend but it might not be your cup of tea if not into the music industry 

Sports are different that art,  the drive to be the best is similar but the context for music is entirely subjective, sports its obvious, you win titles in high school/college and go pro.  Not so easy for music and art

I use to make beats and DJ back in the early 2000s and it was a unwritten law that beat makers arent supposed to rap.  When Madlib and Dilla broke that in the independent artist/label, it let the door open to Kayne who broke the commercial label rules of rap.  not so much a big deal nowadays, but back then it was like when dj's started scratching over records

I'd say it's worth a try... It's more interesting than most of the total shit that you can find on Netflix. If you don't like it, turn it off. It's and underdog story of a man who is arguably an actual genius. I loved the first 3 Kanye albums and bought them each the week they came out. Lately, it's a shame what's happened to him, and I honestly have no interest in his music anymore, but anyone who becomes THAT famous is bound to meet some sort of difficult circumstances in life.

The 2nd part was more of the same. When he was playing people Through The Wire it was a really entertaining section of the film. That's when a lot of people first saw Kanye the way he saw himself for so many years, most importantly his boss, Dame Dash. Pharrell's reaction was the best, put a big smile on my face watching it. I remember the first time I heard the song too. I was visiting my old roommate at the bar he worked at and it came on over Hot97 or Power105, I don't remember, and we both were huge hip-hop fans who had gotten burnt out on it in general, primarily because of Get Rich Or Die Trying being played everywhere in NYC for a full year, but as soon as that song came on were were just humming the tune for weeks and waiting for the album to come out. It is a masterpiece of a song.

I'm glad so much time is spent just leading up to the release of the first album, because it really was important in changing music forever, and it's a positive story, and it avoids focusing too much on Kanye's eventual mania... but I guess it's because Coodie was only really around during this time of Kanye's career, at least that's what I've read in a few articles about the film.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2447 on: March 02, 2022, 07:06:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I'd say it's worth a try... It's more interesting than most of the total shit that you can find on Netflix. If you don't like it, turn it off. It's and underdog story of a man who is arguably an actual genius. I loved the first 3 Kanye albums and bought them each the week they came out. Lately, it's a shame what's happened to him, and I honestly have no interest in his music anymore, but anyone who becomes THAT famous is bound to meet some sort of difficult circumstances in life.

The 2nd part was more of the same. When he was playing people Through The Wire it was a really entertaining section of the film. That's when a lot of people first saw Kanye the way he saw himself for so many years, most importantly his boss, Dame Dash. Pharrell's reaction was the best, put a big smile on my face watching it. I remember the first time I heard the song too. I was visiting my old roommate at the bar he worked at and it came on over Hot97 or Power105, I don't remember, and we both were huge hip-hop fans who had gotten burnt out on it in general, primarily because of Get Rich Or Die Trying being played everywhere in NYC for a full year, but as soon as that song came on were were just humming the tune for weeks and waiting for the album to come out. It is a masterpiece of a song.

I'm glad so much time is spent just leading up to the release of the first album, because it really was important in changing music forever, and it's a positive story, and it avoids focusing too much on Kanye's eventual mania... but I guess it's because Coodie was only really around during this time of Kanye's career, at least that's what I've read in a few articles about the film.

Coodie having an underground hip hop tv show definitely helped show the best parts of the music side,  i did find it interesting that coodie wasnt on his first college dropout tour.  Seeing Dame once again confirmed he was one the worst people in hip hop.  Grammy speech was the best part IMO

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #2448 on: March 02, 2022, 09:49:41 AM »
We watch horror movies on Netflix. I recommend you to watch THE LODGE (2019). I like the variety of movies and series of good quality. Unfortunately, the Netflix subscription price does not meet customers' expectations. New movies and series are released quite rarely. I feel like I've already reviewed everything on this platform. I plan to switch to Roomba TV. Have you heard of such a service? Their good offers attract me. I hope I'll have even more choices for watching movies and series there than on Netflix. Besides, I plan to become reseller iptv and make money. I like to sell what I use. If all goes well, I plan to grow in this field further.

What the fuck is this? Some automated spam ad for Roomba TV?

Irvine-Sucks.com

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #2449 on: March 02, 2022, 11:58:31 AM »
Not the biggest Yeezy fan but I loved part 1 and 2 of this. He didn’t stop till he was doing what he loved to do!

I just watched another thing (not on Netflix) about how Donda died. So. Fuxking. Suss!!!  She should still be alive if it wasn’t for her weirdo cousin with the high pitch voice. And that police phone call is damn hard to listen too.

No wonder it’s fucked Kanye up. He probably feels mad guilty.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #2450 on: March 03, 2022, 11:02:12 AM »
Man watched the 3rd part. So sad. Hollyweird has cooked his brain. I ended up feeling sorry for him.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2451 on: March 03, 2022, 07:52:54 PM »
Been watching Clone Wars from the beginning with my kid. It’s pretty good, but we’re only about to finish season 2 and I'm getting annoyed with Anakin and his made for tv padawan, Ashoka.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2452 on: March 06, 2022, 04:42:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did also. Just finished tonight.

Just started Severance and it is off to a good start.

we're really enjoying this one

beatifk

« Reply #2453 on: March 07, 2022, 01:54:10 AM »
Man watched the 3rd part. So sad. Hollyweird has cooked his brain. I ended up feeling sorry for him.

That was difficult to watch. I feel for Kanye, it seems his heart is in the right place but the stress of being that famous must be absolutely exhausting. To be bombarded by newscasters everywhere talking about how crazy you are and how you fucked up and all this shit must just destroy a person's soul.

Coodie had the respect to cut the camera a few times, and it shows just how much he cared about Kanye's well-being. Of course, it's his documentary so he's not going to portray himself in a bad way, but I believe his intentions are pure.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2454 on: March 07, 2022, 04:19:26 PM »
I wish they had actually let Kanye say his piece on a number of things in the 3rd part of Jeen-yuhs. Let him speak on Trump and abortion and politics and let the audience come to their own conclusion about it. That was a cheap shot to have the newscasters summarize what he said and contrast that with him playing Tucker Carlson agreeing with Kanye's opinion. Those filmmakers know how most of their liberal audience feels about Tucker and abortion, so they slanted the narrative to fit that and denied their subject the chance to speak for himself. As an audience member I want to be able to make up my own mind about this dude's ideas. Maybe there's something of value in there, but I won't know because I didn't get to hear it for myself.

That said, almost everything else about this was amazing. Absolutely phenomenal archive of seminal events in hip hop history. This would pair well with The Defiant Ones on HBO.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 05:32:13 PM by ToshiroTownune »

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #2455 on: March 07, 2022, 11:03:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Also, Peacemaker is amazing
[close]
Agreed. Watched the season finale last night and it actually made me fucking cry. Didn't think I'd enjoy it that much; much less get attached to the characters, but it's a fantastic show. Plus, John Cena is a pretty cool human.

+1

I went into it with no real investment/interest, wondering how they were going to have a character I honestly didn't really like from the Suicide Squad carry a series, but was pleasantly surprised. As the season progressed, the chemistry between the characters and the show overall kept getting better and better. The outtakes and bloopers were also golden.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2456 on: March 08, 2022, 12:42:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That was difficult to watch. I feel for Kanye, it seems his heart is in the right place but the stress of being that famous must be absolutely exhausting. To be bombarded by newscasters everywhere talking about how crazy you are and how you fucked up and all this shit must just destroy a person's soul.

Coodie had the respect to cut the camera a few times, and it shows just how much he cared about Kanye's well-being. Of course, it's his documentary so he's not going to portray himself in a bad way, but I believe his intentions are pure.

That scene where he decides to stop filming is hard to watch for sure. Kanye's got some real estate bros there, yeasaying and waiting for money to start pouring their way. Then that shot where Justin Bieber is right in the firing line of an abortion tangent and, aware he's on camera, makes like he's not hearing anything.

Then he flies Wyoming to SF for an afternoon just to watch this nice lady's nondescript but 'jeen-yuhs' bowls. He tells his dad over the phone, you know those bowls we had in the Dominican, at the house? No the other house in the Dominican, those bowls we had? And his dad says I just hope you're doing alright. They check out the bowls and go back to the jet. Madness.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2457 on: March 08, 2022, 12:06:20 PM »
I wish they had actually let Kanye say his piece on a number of things in the 3rd part of Jeen-yuhs. Let him speak on Trump and abortion and politics and let the audience come to their own conclusion about it. That was a cheap shot to have the newscasters summarize what he said and contrast that with him playing Tucker Carlson agreeing with Kanye's opinion. Those filmmakers know how most of their liberal audience feels about Tucker and abortion, so they slanted the narrative to fit that and denied their subject the chance to speak for himself. As an audience member I want to be able to make up my own mind about this dude's ideas. Maybe there's something of value in there, but I won't know because I didn't get to hear it for myself.

That said, almost everything else about this was amazing. Absolutely phenomenal archive of seminal events in hip hop history. This would pair well with The Defiant Ones on HBO.

I don't think Kayne was in an honest place, that's why his dad was saying that well maybe you should write your speeches before first.   His mental decline pretty much stems from him not being able to appear sad or weak.   Trump appealed to his famous persona, not his humanitarian nature.  I think the Kardashians were a big part of the mental decline (as noted by some of chappelles jokes about kayne)

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #2458 on: March 08, 2022, 07:23:45 PM »
I want to know how much Kris Jenner and her team paid/were involved in making sure basically not a word was spoken or clip was used about most of that era, aside from his speech.

I’m no Kanye fan and don’t know much about hip hop history, but I dug the first two parts and can respect the talent, especially witnessing other artists’ reactions.

Hopefully, he gets the help he needs.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #2459 on: March 24, 2022, 07:19:05 PM »
Anybody else watching Servant on apple+? I just finished season 3 and really enjoyed it.

Get hungry on it!