Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 384895 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2610 on: August 08, 2022, 11:26:39 AM »
If you got apple TV I'll recommend the show Acapulco.  Hilarious and wholesome show that takes place in a resort in Acapulco Mexico.

After also loving White Lotus, I just enjoy shows that take place in resorts I guess

pro club blanks

« Reply #2611 on: August 08, 2022, 02:37:32 PM »
If you got apple TV I'll recommend the show Acapulco.  Hilarious and wholesome show that takes place in a resort in Acapulco Mexico.

After also loving White Lotus, I just enjoy shows that take place in resorts I guess
Theres a movie the main dude from Acapulco did called the Valet on Hulu thats got a similar wholesome feelgood vibe that id definitely recommend.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2612 on: August 09, 2022, 10:36:23 PM »
The Nice Guys by Shane Black is on Netflix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQR5zsLHbYw

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2613 on: August 10, 2022, 04:22:35 AM »

I’ve been itching to watch this again. Gosling is hilarious in it. Ole handsome ass mfer
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2614 on: August 10, 2022, 09:36:23 AM »

hah, beat me to it. i just watched it again last night...what a great flick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_rnhTua_M

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
« Reply #2615 on: August 10, 2022, 02:20:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hah, beat me to it. i just watched it again last night...what a great flick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_rnhTua_M

The comedic timing is amazing.

https://youtu.be/dZhrDTlN_cU
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #2616 on: August 10, 2022, 02:47:00 PM »
I think its dope Gosling is getting all that netflix money.  Drive is still one of my favorite movies, my fav. scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIAg4-ysBL4

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #2617 on: August 10, 2022, 08:45:36 PM »
https://youtu.be/BmllggGO4pM

Surprised how much I enjoyed this. Gosling & Netflix quite a team. Haven’t seen Drive in awhile , that’s a good one too. Also like The Place Beyond The Pines

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #2618 on: August 11, 2022, 11:19:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Is anybody watching the new Nathan Fielder show? Watched the first two episodes last night it's amazing.
[close]

The fact that Nathan Fielder has chosen to waste his undeniable genius to make a tv show which essentially aims to put on display how people can act somewhat odd is utterly insane. I love it.

I honestly think he might be the genius of this period in time, equivalent to the great thinkers of other eras such as Socrates, or Einstein, or Da Vinci, and I don't mean that hyperbolically. His brain is working differently. Every twist and turn is so absolutely absurd.

As soon as he went undercover as a real student in a simulation of his own fake acting class I completely lost my grip on reality and I think I may have slipped into an alternate timeline. I don't know what's real anymore.   

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #2619 on: August 11, 2022, 03:57:45 PM »
Thoughts on "The Sandman"?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2620 on: August 11, 2022, 04:46:56 PM »
Thoughts on "The Sandman"?

started it but fell asleep, about 10min in, seems like a good concept...cant wait to see the reason behind the hype

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #2621 on: August 14, 2022, 10:26:07 PM »
“This Fool” on Hulu is pretty funny.  Almost a Latino Southside once you get warmed up in it.  Plus, Fabian Alomar in a bunch of eps

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2622 on: August 14, 2022, 11:32:17 PM »

Surprised how much I enjoyed this. Gosling & Netflix quite a team. Haven’t seen Drive in awhile , that’s a good one too. Also like The Place Beyond The Pines

Gosling's best movie is The Believer. Holy fuck it is intense, but brilliant.

This is on Hulu... it is pretty fucking awesome. Not quite as intense or as strong as say Scanners or Videodrome but it was still pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVX7df79BNo

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2623 on: August 15, 2022, 12:42:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gosling's best movie is The Believer. Holy fuck it is intense, but brilliant.

This is on Hulu... it is pretty fucking awesome. Not quite as intense or as strong as say Scanners or Videodrome but it was still pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVX7df79BNo

Makes me happy when people like Gray Man.   I just find Gosling a fun, charismatic actor and the movie was a fun ride.    Don’t know what else people wanted. 

It’s “funny” that Viggo got kicked in the quad by a horse before shooting Crimes and that’s why he’s sitting or kneeling the whole movie.   It’s weird how it works so much better for his character

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2624 on: August 15, 2022, 07:06:03 AM »
Westworld finale was....fine I guess. Last episodes are always tuf to live up to expectations.
Would still def recommend season 1. I think it's enough to stand alone

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1439
« Reply #2625 on: August 15, 2022, 11:20:52 AM »
Just finished the investigation on hbo last night. I thought it was really powerful. For a true crime show to barely focus on the suspect and to instead highlight the grieving of the parents and the dogged and determined work of focused professionals is a much more healthy way to portray true crime. I don't think they say the suspects name more than a couple times and refer to him as the perpetrator which really robs the suspect of the power and infamy that many of them crave. A lot of the divers and navy personnel working on raising the submarine where the crime was committed and the divers who worked on the recovery efforts are also the actual people who led the search which was incredible. The entire show was not lurid and instead focused on the effects of a murder on those who investigate the crime and the grief of the family. Highly recommend

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1439
« Reply #2626 on: August 15, 2022, 11:23:06 AM »
I'm also very here for all the gosling praise. Been a long time fan ever since i saw lars and the real girl. Nice guys and place beyond the pine are fantastic as well

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2627 on: August 15, 2022, 11:52:00 AM »
I'm also very here for all the gosling praise. Been a long time fan ever since i saw lars and the real girl. Nice guys and place beyond the pine are fantastic as well

Might I recommend Half Nelson, his less known Oscar nominated role

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #2628 on: August 16, 2022, 04:29:15 PM »
Back on Slap 'cause i'm in covid quarantine and losing it lol. If anyone wants to exchange letterboxd accounts, well I would like that.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2629 on: August 22, 2022, 06:54:31 AM »
First ep of house of the dragon was ....mostly fine/good. I'll admit little bit sceptical because of how GoT ended up. Trying to ignore all outside shit to help enjoy it. Hopefully not too much hey look it's this thing hey look it's that thing remember from the other show

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #2630 on: August 23, 2022, 11:00:07 PM »
Flight attendant and the new season of Russian doll were shitty enough for me to focus Netflix.  Amazon Prime has Outlaws which is sort of very similar to other British shows I’ve seen but it has Christopher Walken in it which throws it over the top….kinda like Amazon Prime’s Ted Lasso. 

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2631 on: August 24, 2022, 09:29:00 AM »
anyone see the woodstock documentary, I think the craziest part was the ambulance story on the last night.

Also the UNTOLD documentary on the Hawaiian dude who got catfished was excellent.

Did anyone catch the Leo Baker doc?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1301
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2632 on: August 24, 2022, 01:02:03 PM »
I watched the Leo Baker doc last night. I didn't realize it was co-directed by Reda and the cinematographer so that was news to me. It's mostly pretty great and I think non-skaters should be able to keep up and will be interested. They do a pretty good job of explaining some of the things about skateboarding that we all take for granted like contests ain't shit and video parts are what we care about. It's an hour and 12 minutes or so and I think it is probably a little padded out from an original hour long runtime. A heavy emphasis on the monumental significance of the Olympics which will leave most skaters cold but I think that is just a feint for how they present the second half of the narrative. There's some weird dangling dialogue that implies maybe Leo and his GFs relationship is not as solid as it seems that shoulda been cut or expanded on. Otherwise, I was feeling the story and got caught up in the emotional impact of the movie at least two times.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #2633 on: August 30, 2022, 12:26:29 AM »
I remember watching "Knight Rider" in syndication when I was a boy and even seeing the KITT car at Universal Studios during a trip as a youth, and thinking the concept for the show (and the car) was pretty cool.  I was looking for something to watch on Netflix the other night, so I started watching the old episodes, and it's pretty fun to watch. I know it's cheesy sometimes and, from what I've read, later episodes got kinda bad. But I was shocked to see the original 1982 series only ran for 4 seasons.

I know they've done a number of subsequent TV movies and failed reboot series (that looked pretty wack) but I would be onboard for a gritty reimagining of the "Knight Rider" franchise if it took itself seriously and didn't pull any punches, kind of like how Antoine Fuqua and Denzel Washington reimagined "The Equalizer".  Maybe an R-rated Knight Rider feature film with Ryan Gosling or something. Seems like a cool property with a lot of untapped potential. I think I like the original "KR" series more than "The A-Team" or most other hour-long 80s action shows.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2634 on: August 30, 2022, 01:19:47 AM »
I remember watching "Knight Rider" in syndication when I was a boy and even seeing the KITT car at Universal Studios during a trip as a youth, and thinking the concept for the show (and the car) was pretty cool.  I was looking for something to watch on Netflix the other night, so I started watching the old episodes, and it's pretty fun to watch. I know it's cheesy sometimes and, from what I've read, later episodes got kinda bad. But I was shocked to see the original 1982 series only ran for 4 seasons.

I know they've done a number of subsequent TV movies and failed reboot series (that looked pretty wack) but I would be onboard for a gritty reimagining of the "Knight Rider" franchise if it took itself seriously and didn't pull any punches, kind of like how Antoine Fuqua and Denzel Washington reimagined "The Equalizer".  Maybe an R-rated Knight Rider feature film with Ryan Gosling or something. Seems like a cool property with a lot of untapped potential. I think I like the original "KR" series more than "The A-Team" or most other hour-long 80s action shows.
Knight rider rules. Whenever I watch old shows I just think about how much fucking effort went into every little thing. 4 seasons seems like plenty. It's not the same thing at all really but Miami Vice still goes pretty hard. Incredible hulk and bionic woman are fun Japanese Kamen rider was a fav from when I was a kid too I just unfortunately don't have the same brain anymore and can't watch 100 hours of one show

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2635 on: August 30, 2022, 05:02:57 AM »

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #2636 on: August 30, 2022, 06:02:54 AM »
Anyone watch the Rehearsal on HBO with that Nathan Fielder dude? Binged in one day it was so bizarre and hilarious.

That Thirteen Lives movie was fuckin great too.

And even best yet, if you need a Brendan Fraser 90s classic go peep Blast From the Past. 10/10 fraser right there

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2637 on: August 30, 2022, 07:38:10 AM »

I peeped knight rider when it dropped.  Damn good show to watch.  Been on a 80s-90s tv show binge too

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #2638 on: August 31, 2022, 09:37:02 AM »
Just watched 'Antrum: The Deadliest Movie Ever Made' on Tubi and thought it was great. Very well done horror mockumentary. And for being a free app Tubi has a ton of content.

Get hungry on it!

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #2639 on: August 31, 2022, 09:48:29 AM »
Anyone watch the Rehearsal on HBO with that Nathan Fielder dude? Binged in one day it was so bizarre and hilarious.

That Thirteen Lives movie was fuckin great too.

And even best yet, if you need a Brendan Fraser 90s classic go peep Blast From the Past. 10/10 fraser right there

One of my favorite Christopher Walken roles too.. the last scene of his character is pretty perfect.