Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 383253 times)

dill8849

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -41
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2700 on: October 18, 2022, 06:23:23 PM »
"The Watcher" on Netflix is really good. Based on a true story. Basically a family moves into a nice house in the suburbs and all of their neighbors are creepy or insane. It's a mystery/thriller.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2701 on: October 18, 2022, 07:02:23 PM »
"The Watcher" on Netflix is really good. Based on a true story. Basically a family moves into a nice house in the suburbs and all of their neighbors are creepy or insane. It's a mystery/thriller.

Veeeeeery lightly based, but works well on its own

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2702 on: October 20, 2022, 02:16:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

One of the better things I've seen on Netflix for a little while. Tuf to stick landings I guess.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2703 on: October 20, 2022, 10:29:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
One of the better things I've seen on Netflix for a little while. Tuf to stick landings I guess.

agree, I enjoyed the architectural basis for the show and when it got to episode 5-6 and layed out the letter premise I thought that was a good piece of story telling

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2704 on: October 30, 2022, 02:00:52 PM »
I really liked the Netflix series Midnight Mass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89UV8vmWXlY

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2705 on: October 30, 2022, 04:48:43 PM »
Midnight club (also from Mike Flanagan) is really good too.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2706 on: October 30, 2022, 07:00:35 PM »
Anyone watch all the GDT Cabinet shorts yet?

Goin to give the Henry Selick/Jordan Poole movie a go tonight

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2707 on: November 01, 2022, 02:50:17 PM »
Midnight club (also from Mike Flanagan) is really good too.

I'll check it out. Thanks @LesbianPUNCH

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2708 on: November 05, 2022, 04:58:08 PM »
Decided to start watching The Handmaid's Tale. Ho-lee-shit. I'm not sure which documentary about the future of America is scarier, this or Idiocracy.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2709 on: November 05, 2022, 09:42:03 PM »
Decided to start watching The Handmaid's Tale. Ho-lee-shit. I'm not sure which documentary about the future of America is scarier, this or Idiocracy.
Prepare for that shit to totally fall apart after season one. Unless you like a star with a hero complex and episodes completely made up of shots of people walking across courtyards and person clenching their jaw straight down the camera lens

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2710 on: November 05, 2022, 11:30:52 PM »
I'm on to season 3. Don't worry, I know that you pretty much hate everything.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2711 on: November 05, 2022, 11:37:48 PM »
Lol I like 90% of things just the other 10% I really dislike. Handmaid's tale also is something I thought was so fucking good so it stings a bit more to get over it lol

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2712 on: November 05, 2022, 11:41:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lol I like 90% of things just the other 10% I really dislike. Handmaid's tale also is something I thought was so fucking good so it stings a bit more to get over it lol

It’s just a classic case of being fucked when you have to go past the source material

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #2713 on: November 23, 2022, 06:42:40 PM »
Not on Netflix but I am quite enjoying "Ten Year Old Tom" on CBC gem (on HBO max in US I think)

It essentially feels like a reworked version of "The Life and Times of Tim" which is one of my all-time favourite animated shows. Yes, the animation is dogshit but that's kind of the point and the dialogue is fucking hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGh31qLBnFo

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2714 on: November 23, 2022, 07:51:53 PM »
^fuck yeah

Been really liking more basic sitcoms lately Avenue five and people of earth are cool sci fi ish ones. I'm not dying laughing but appreciate the effort and they have funny bits.
Also go back to inbetweeners, Mitchell and Webb look and peep show pretty much every year. Always great altho wish Mitchell and Webb show didn't have the laugh track

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2715 on: November 23, 2022, 08:51:57 PM »
Not on Netflix but I am quite enjoying "Ten Year Old Tom" on CBC gem (on HBO max in US I think)

It essentially feels like a reworked version of "The Life and Times of Tim" which is one of my all-time favourite animated shows. Yes, the animation is dogshit but that's kind of the point and the dialogue is fucking hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGh31qLBnFo

It’s not a reworking, it’s a prequel.   I believe it was revealed in one of the last episode ms of Tim that his real name is Tom.   All of them are so goddamn funny.   

It’s weird this is considered shitty animation, but I find it so much easier to look at than Family Guy animation (and to an extent Big Mouth)

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2716 on: November 23, 2022, 09:23:38 PM »
How can it be a prequel when the kids have smartphones and use gofundme etc?

Whether it is or not isn't too important anyway because it's still great. I like how some of the smaller roles are big names like John Malkovitch and David Duchovny. Nice to see other fans of Steve Dildarian's work.

The animation has never bothered me either but it was a lot cruder in Life and Times of Time. I don't think they ever showed characters walking or moving across the screen lol. That was the biggest difference I noticed so far seeing the kids ride bikes and just walk into a room. In Tim you'd hear footsteps then it would cut to whoever entered or they'd use other creative ways without actually moving the characters.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2717 on: November 23, 2022, 10:39:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Prepare for that shit to totally fall apart after season one. Unless you like a star with a hero complex and episodes completely made up of shots of people walking across courtyards and person clenching their jaw straight down the camera lens

Season 1 was excellent but now it’s devolved into Elizabeth Moss rapid eye movement. She’s great at it but enough already.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #2718 on: November 26, 2022, 07:34:01 PM »
the weird al movie was good

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2719 on: November 27, 2022, 01:25:27 AM »
the weird al movie was good

Didn't know this was a thing. I gotta peep it now.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2720 on: November 27, 2022, 03:35:52 AM »
If youre one of the people who managed to get thru the recent British/french war of the world series (the one set in current day not the one set a hundred years ago) the new third series is actually alright. Better than that show deserved really

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2721 on: November 27, 2022, 05:57:56 AM »
How can it be a prequel when the kids have smartphones and use gofundme etc?

Whether it is or not isn't too important anyway because it's still great. I like how some of the smaller roles are big names like John Malkovitch and David Duchovny. Nice to see other fans of Steve Dildarian's work.

The animation has never bothered me either but it was a lot cruder in Life and Times of Time. I don't think they ever showed characters walking or moving across the screen lol. That was the biggest difference I noticed so far seeing the kids ride bikes and just walk into a room. In Tim you'd hear footsteps then it would cut to whoever entered or they'd use other creative ways without actually moving the characters.

I think it’s a spiritual sequel/prequel.   It’s the same guy, but there’s not really supposed to be a narrative they’re following or anything like that.   I don’t think they’re setting up to a point where he meets Amy and Stu or whatever   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2722 on: November 27, 2022, 06:00:48 AM »
Welcome to Chippendales seems interesting enough for a limited series.   I liked the Pam and Tommy series bc I had no idea about the Seth Rogen story and where that went and this seems to be following a similar manner.   

Pepsi, Where’s My Jet? Is a fun little doc if you remember the contest.   It’s funny to see who pops up on the legal side.   

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2723 on: November 27, 2022, 01:54:45 PM »
Welcome to Chippendales seems interesting enough for a limited series.   I liked the Pam and Tommy series bc I had no idea about the Seth Rogen story and where that went and this seems to be following a similar manner.   

Pepsi, Where’s My Jet? Is a fun little doc if you remember the contest.   It’s funny to see who pops up on the legal side.
I've been loving Welcome to Chippendales and also thought it was similar to Pam and Tommy. For me, it was new information that Paul Snider and Dorothy Stratten were involved in the start up. It was probably invented but the scene where Steve gets the idea for the club and why they are they are even there in the first place was so great.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2724 on: November 27, 2022, 02:06:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I've been loving Welcome to Chippendales and also thought it was similar to Pam and Tommy. For me, it was new information that Paul Snider and Dorothy Stratten were involved in the start up. It was probably invented but the scene where Steve gets the idea for the club and why they are they are even there in the first place was so great.

The gal that plays Dorothy Stratton is married to David Beckham’s son, if you were looking for some light trivia

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #2725 on: December 03, 2022, 12:00:48 PM »
https://youtu.be/p7OUQ9U2qIw
Fun watch. The last couple episodes dragged on however the ending amazing.

Texas Killing Fields doc well done too. Super sad & creepy that many women murdered along that I-45 stretch 

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2726 on: December 04, 2022, 09:42:33 AM »
Anyone play Triviaverse? It’s actually pretty enjoyable.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #2727 on: December 10, 2022, 07:37:24 AM »
Expectations pretty low before I watched Bullet Train. Wow what a fun watch!

Welp looks like I’m getting Showtime because the George Jones series, George & Tammy, on there starring Michael Shannon & Jessica Chastain

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2728 on: December 10, 2022, 11:14:12 AM »
South Side just started up again on HBO Max.   One of the funnier shows I’ve seen recently and I’m sure anyone from Chicago will appreciate it 100x more

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2729 on: December 11, 2022, 09:00:28 AM »
Emily the Criminal was a refreshingly good movie, it’s on Netflix, Aubrey plaza