Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 383095 times)

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2940 on: May 05, 2023, 09:17:30 AM »
BEEF had me captivated as hell

BEEF SPOILER BEWARE 

Would have never checked out if y’all weren’t raving about. Thank you. Wow a masterpiece. Provoked whole spectrum of emotions. Felt amazing to laugh that hard. The church scene heavy, I legit almost started crying. Also the scenes with mysterious witch lady absolutely terrifying. Actually rewinded to experience those goosebumps again. An abundance of mental shortcomings & themes that forced an evaluation of our  own lives. Lastly, running time of each episode perfect. Needs to be the new standard. Less is more . Again thank you Pals…that series wow

funeral_tuxedo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2941 on: May 05, 2023, 09:18:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adaptation of Cronenbergs Dead Ringers starring Rachel Weisz is on Prime now
[close]

Complete garbage, couldn’t even finish the first episode
[close]

That's disappointing, but not surprising

Expand Quote
Haven’t read the last few pages of this thread, so sorry if this was already posted.
Cabinet of Curiosities is pretty rad so far, I’m in the middle of ep 3.
Anthology series exec. produced by Guillermo del Toro.
Kinda like a horror version of The Twilight Zone.
[close]

Haven't watched all the episodes yet, but I really liked the one about that lady who works at a bank & gets obsessed with that body transformation lotion. Think it's episode 4 actually, so you'll see it soon.

I just started Cabinet Of Curiosities the other night. So far it's been really interesting and it has incredible set design/decoration. I was watching the third episode last night - The Autopsy - and actually had to pause it because it got me too wound up ha.

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #2942 on: May 05, 2023, 11:29:40 AM »
new sweet tooth!! lesssssgo

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2943 on: May 05, 2023, 06:09:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not even going to bother with this mess.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2944 on: May 07, 2023, 01:08:20 AM »
I enjoyed the Pilot episode of Silo on Apple+.   It’s a pilot that’s building to the main series, so I’d recommend giving it a chance if you aren’t immediately taken with it. 

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #2945 on: May 22, 2023, 08:51:18 PM »
Everything on Netflix now looks like it was created by AI
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2946 on: May 22, 2023, 09:16:00 PM »
Its kinda always felt like it (at least to me). It was like they did the same thing people do when playing with chatgpt but just with a person. Like the Netflix suits just tell a writer we need this type of person, a gun fight and a twist ending, ok go! and then just took the writers first draft.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2947 on: May 22, 2023, 10:44:57 PM »
They are called K-dramas……

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2948 on: May 22, 2023, 11:57:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Its kinda always felt like it (at least to me). It was like they did the same thing people do when playing with chatgpt but just with a person. Like the Netflix suits just tell a writer we need this type of person, a gun fight and a twist ending, ok go! and then just took the writers first draft.
This is my beef with Apple TV+ content. It all seems designed to sell adjacent products and maintain whatever market share they have. I would imagine this is true for every streaming brand but it's hard for me to miss in Apple's content.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2949 on: May 23, 2023, 12:53:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
This is my beef with Apple TV+ content. It all seems designed to sell adjacent products and maintain whatever market share they have. I would imagine this is true for every streaming brand but it's hard for me to miss in Apple's content.

I don’t understand that at all.  How is that the case in Silo, Foundation, Slow Horses, Physical, Severance or any number of shows?   I don’t see shows inundated with Apple products anymore than our actual reality is.

Amazon on the other hand uses X-ray to show you how you can buy the clothes Priyanka Chopra is wearing on Citadel, etc but it’s hardly obtrusive if you don’t know how to access it. 

(Also I haven’t dealt with Netflix personally, but NO ONE any where in the industry takes someone’s first draft.    Shows get watered down because there are so many goddamn notes from every which way.  I don’t want to say that your dismissive view on what writers contribute is part of the reason we’re striking, but I’ll think it pretty damn hard hah)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2950 on: May 23, 2023, 01:28:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

I don’t understand that at all.  How is that the case in Silo, Foundation, Slow Horses, Physical, Severance or any number of shows?   I don’t see shows inundated with Apple products anymore than our actual reality is.

Amazon on the other hand uses X-ray to show you how you can buy the clothes Priyanka Chopra is wearing on Citadel, etc but it’s hardly obtrusive if you don’t know how to access it. 

(Also I haven’t dealt with Netflix personally, but NO ONE any where in the industry takes someone’s first draft.    Shows get watered down because there are so many goddamn notes from every which way.  I don’t want to say that your dismissive view on what writers contribute is part of the reason we’re striking, but I’ll think it pretty damn hard hah)
Obvs don't actually think anyone literally uses a first draft

(And yes I realise I'm being critical of a job I can't do but unfortunately that's just human nature. I'm just comparing Netflix to the other apps I have and their shows just don't do it for me. I don't even have Stan, apple, Amazon and it's prob unfair to compare the few shows I actually watch on HBO to the shit on Netflix)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 01:49:19 AM by Mean salto »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2951 on: May 23, 2023, 02:00:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Obvs don't actually think anyone literally uses a first draft

(And yes I realise I'm being critical of a job I can't do but unfortunately that's just human nature. I'm just comparing Netflix to the other apps I have and their shows just don't do it for me. I don't even have Stan, apple, Amazon and it's prob unfair to compare the few shows I actually watch on HBO to the shit on Netflix)

I don’t disagree that Netflix takes a buckshot approach.  (Sorry a little raw about the strike)    I also forget that people who doesn’t have an eye on what’s released every week on every streaming service might find it more difficult to fend their way through all the morass.   

Interestingly, that’s one of the main reasons studios like Amazon/MGM still release movies in theaters even if it’s financially a sunk cost - even if people didn’t see Air in theaters, they’ll recognize it as a movie that WAS in theaters when they see it on Prime and that helps distinguish it and brings “cred” to their service.   

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2952 on: May 23, 2023, 12:45:36 PM »
I heard Air just tested phenomenally, like through the roof - so well they decided to give it a theatrical release, when it was intended to only stream initially.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #2953 on: May 23, 2023, 01:06:05 PM »
Fargo on Hulu… I’m on season 3. 

Seasons 1 and 2 were fantastic.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2954 on: May 23, 2023, 01:55:06 PM »
I heard Air just tested phenomenally, like through the roof - so well they decided to give it a theatrical release, when it was intended to only stream initially.

They knew the money spent on Air (north of 100M) would never be recouped in ticket sales at the BO.   In addition to what I said earlier, theatrical releases are also a way to curry favor with directors

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #2955 on: May 24, 2023, 06:41:19 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2956 on: May 24, 2023, 06:42:45 PM »
New season drops next week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FzJpbtK5Wg

Any of my Sorcerer-heads think Tim Robinson looks like the French driver from that movie?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2958 on: May 24, 2023, 09:27:38 PM »
Idk if anyone else is keeping up with Ted Lasso but I have to say this week's episode was a banger

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2959 on: May 24, 2023, 11:21:45 PM »
Idk if anyone else is keeping up with Ted Lasso but I have to say this week's episode was a banger

It’s about time.   There have been some pretty iffy story telling choices this season.   I don’t think the longer eps have been helping them. 

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #2960 on: May 25, 2023, 06:29:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not even going to bother with this mess.

Yup, fucking awful. Also tapped out before even a full episode. Has there ever really been a successful Cronenberg remake? Skeptical that really anyone else could capture what he's able to get across on the screen successfully

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2961 on: May 25, 2023, 08:50:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s about time.   There have been some pretty iffy story telling choices this season.   I don’t think the longer eps have been helping them.

Totally true. For a while my overall mood was to just watch to see where it ends up but glad to see this one come in strong. Overall will probably give the season a rewatch but don't think I'll change my mind about the lower points that seemed completely unnecessary

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2962 on: May 26, 2023, 01:17:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This season has been pretty rough for me and may have motivated my anti AppleTV+ sentiments earlier. I decided to bail two weeks ago but I will probably circle back after reading this. I have just not been into the Nate storyline at all and I think they sorta fucked that character.

I'm gonna miss Succession. I don't think anything has made people walking and talking in rooms more compelling. I realize this is kind of a big statement in a format where Aaron Sorkin has been working for decades but I think it stands.

House of Hammer on Max is a really interesting deep dive that I wasn't expecting to be there and is, as they point out in the actual series, weirdly close to what does down on Succession.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2963 on: May 26, 2023, 07:10:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This season has been pretty rough for me and may have motivated my anti AppleTV+ sentiments earlier. I decided to bail two weeks ago but I will probably circle back after reading this. I have just not been into the Nate storyline at all and I think they sorta fucked that character.

I'm gonna miss Succession. I don't think anything has made people walking and talking in rooms more compelling. I realize this is kind of a big statement in a format where Aaron Sorkin has been working for decades but I think it stands.

House of Hammer on Max is a really interesting deep dive that I wasn't expecting to be there and is, as they point out in the actual series, weirdly close to what does down on Succession.

Oh you mean you thought the story line where a super successful manager in his first year who elevated a nothing team to the top of the league but gets fired because he won’t arbitrarily cheat on his girlfriend at the owners behest was super dumb??

Or that Keeley’s business shutting down because her momentary girlfriend/finder decided on a whim to be the shittiest person in the world?

For everyone reeling from Succession’s end, check out Jesse Armstrong’s back catalogue (w/ Sam Bain).
Babylon
Peep Show
Fresh Meat

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2964 on: May 26, 2023, 07:28:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh you mean you thought the story line where a super successful manager in his first year who elevated a nothing team to the top of the league but gets fired because he won’t arbitrarily cheat on his girlfriend at the owners behest was super dumb??

Or that Keeley’s business shutting down because her momentary girlfriend/finder decided on a whim to be the shittiest person in the world?

For everyone reeling from Succession’s end, check out Jesse Armstrong’s back catalogue (w/ Sam Bain).
Babylon
Peep Show
Fresh Meat
My mind is blown. I am admittedly super late to the Succession party as I binged 1-3 in the months leading up to 4 but I've been a Peep Show fan since season 1 and never put the name together. Fresh Meat is also great although different enough that I couldn't get PS fans I knew into it. Babylon is a new name to me. I'm psyched to close a loop in my head here.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2965 on: May 26, 2023, 08:56:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Babylon
Peep Show
Fresh Meat
[close]
My mind is blown. I am admittedly super late to the Succession party as I binged 1-3 in the months leading up to 4 but I've been a Peep Show fan since season 1 and never put the name together. Fresh Meat is also great although different enough that I couldn't get PS fans I knew into it. Babylon is a new name to me. I'm psyched to close a loop in my head here.

Fresh Meat took me a second try but I love it once I got into it

Babylon first ep (90 min pilot) was directed by Danny Boyle.  It was a police drama - I enjoyed it and you definitely feel them finding their feet as writers mid-way through to the point that it’s a bummer it ends when it does

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #2966 on: May 29, 2023, 04:58:03 AM »
we are watching succession and feel it's good enough to watch but find the dialog to be really corny. my wife and i pretty quickly made the old drinking game joke "you have to drink when someone tells someone unnecessarily to 'fuck off' or makes a gross analogy that involves a dick and food." such a weird and unnatural writing style and they do these things in every episode.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2967 on: May 30, 2023, 03:04:52 AM »
So how did Barry fans like that finale/ last season in general?

New I think you should leave is out

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #2968 on: May 30, 2023, 04:40:08 AM »
So how did Barry fans like that finale/ last season in general?

*mild spoilers for Barry*

I enjoyed it. Let’s just say at first it gave me Sopranos vibes… you know the scene. I was thinking, “I’ll be damned HBO did it again” lol

it did seem kind of rushed, but other than that thought it was great.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
« Reply #2969 on: May 30, 2023, 05:18:51 AM »
Expand Quote
New season drops next week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FzJpbtK5Wg
[close]

Fuck yes 6 more days.

Today has arrived baby! Finishing up Big Love (which I actually really enjoyed, honestly had never even heard of it when it ran on HBO) tonight and then it's Tim Time!
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans