Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 383465 times)

RoaryMcTwang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2970 on: May 30, 2023, 07:20:31 AM »
Binged Am I Being Unreasonable in one sitting on the weekend, not sure if it’s on Netflix (my source for everything is the pirate bay) but I enjoyed it tremendously

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2971 on: May 30, 2023, 08:02:32 AM »
New Arnold show is horrible…it feels AI scripted

Binged Barry on Max and that show is a fucking hit …so good, noho hank had me every time

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2972 on: May 30, 2023, 08:33:29 AM »
Expand Quote
So how did Barry fans like that finale/ last season in general?

[close]

*mild spoilers for Barry*

I enjoyed it. Let’s just say at first it gave me Sopranos vibes… you know the scene. I was thinking, “I’ll be damned HBO did it again” lol

it did seem kind of rushed, but other than that thought it was great.
Continuing spoilers
Overall I did enjoy it but fuck I am pretty sick of the time jump gimmick. Can't even blame Barry it's like 96% of shows do it. Kinda didn't like how Barry's character changed so much (altho I'm guessing that's the point) and I never gave a shit about Sally, sure she didn't deserve for things to go so horribly but she was a shitty person so I just don't care (again that's probably kinda the point lol I'm more critical of a regular shitty person than I am with Barry, hank etc). Randomly watched a season 1 ep and was like oh yeah this used to be mostly a comedy don't think I laughed once since he got out of prison but I guess shows evolve as they go

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2973 on: May 30, 2023, 08:46:04 AM »
Anyone seeing Rabo de Peixe? A portuguese series apparently translated to Turn of the Tide

I'm halfway through it and it's actually pretty good

Edit: the reason I'm asking it is because the media are saying the series are on top 10 not only in Portugal but several other countries and I was curious if it is showing on your feed

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2974 on: May 30, 2023, 09:02:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I enjoyed it. Let’s just say at first it gave me Sopranos vibes… you know the scene. I was thinking, “I’ll be damned HBO did it again” lol

[close]
Continuing spoilers
Overall I did enjoy it but fuck I am pretty sick of the time jump gimmick. Can't even blame Barry it's like 96% of shows do it. Kinda didn't like how Barry's character changed so much (altho I'm guessing that's the point) and I never gave a shit about Sally, sure she didn't deserve for things to go so horribly but she was a shitty person so I just don't care (again that's probably kinda the point lol I'm more critical of a regular shitty person than I am with Barry, hank etc). Randomly watched a season 1 ep and was like oh yeah this used to be mostly a comedy don't think I laughed once since he got out of prison but I guess shows evolve as they go

Oh her character got on my nerves quick… but that last season some of her actions were justified.

I will say i really love how hilarious it can be one minute and completely fucked up the next… Fuches coming out of prison all shot caller style was one of my fav tv moments in a long time. Made me laugh my ass off..
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #2975 on: May 30, 2023, 09:31:24 AM »
other than the occasional classic like taxi driver or blade runner when they're up, I rarely watch any new shows on netflix anymore.
That said, I did get into Cunk on Earth after seeing some reels on youtube and imo it definitely did not suck.
pretty funny mockumentary if you're into British humor but not necessarily into world history because that's what the show is all about.
just 5 episodes long to cover the whole history of Earth starting with early civilization, religion, art, war and the industrial revolution.

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2976 on: May 30, 2023, 10:11:46 AM »
other than the occasional classic like taxi driver or blade runner when they're up, I rarely watch any new shows on netflix anymore.
That said, I did get into Cunk on Earth after seeing some reels on youtube and imo it definitely did not suck.
pretty funny mockumentary if you're into British humor but not necessarily into world history because that's what the show is all about.
just 5 episodes long to cover the whole history of Earth starting with early civilization, religion, art, war and the industrial revolution.
There's also "Cunk on Britain" if you want some more

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #2977 on: May 30, 2023, 10:23:45 AM »
Sweet thanks!
Good to know bc I did get hooked and i also did grow an odd attraction for Philomena

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2978 on: May 30, 2023, 10:28:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Continuing spoilers
[close]

Oh her character got on my nerves quick… but that last season some of her actions were justified.

I will say i really love how hilarious it can be one minute and completely fucked up the next… Fuches coming out of prison all shot caller style was one of my fav tv moments in a long time. Made me laugh my ass off..

The Raven vs noho hank dinner was wild, the show loves making hard left turns...didnt expect that
The scene with him in prison watching Rain man had me in stitches...

The succession finale was more a bummer than anything...just odd with that shot of kendall on the hudson

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2979 on: May 30, 2023, 02:05:36 PM »
I thought the end of Barry was very good but I didn’t “love” it. The same could be said of much of the final season. I was really impressed by the writing and admired how ballsy is was to take the story there but that admiration was somewhat clinical.

Fuches’ plot line may have ultimately been the most satisfying.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #2980 on: May 30, 2023, 03:49:48 PM »
That’s fair… it felt like that with a few shows final seasons recently (better call Saul especially comes to mind)…Rush rush to tie up loose ends.

Would’ve been cool to see a little more post Barry.. maybe with the son and Fuches. Also wish we they had given us more NoHo vs Fuches stuff lol
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2981 on: May 30, 2023, 11:57:31 PM »
I will never not enjoy that Kendall thought it would so “baller” to name his rich white son Iverson and that his son is a little nerd

I don’t mean this in a grandiose way, but Succession and Veep must feel like what it was to watch Shakespeare back in the day.   Modern audiences are always told how dense and joke filled the dialogue is with juvenile humor, etc, but it’s lost on anyone who’s honest and I just image how difficult the things they say in these shows must be to parse in hundreds of years times and how students stare blankly at a teacher who tries to explain the humor in a marzipan dildo.   

Barry didn’t feel rushed to me, but I think it’s a show I would have preferred to volume watch than once a week.   Impact dissipated a little bit with the wait. 

Succession stuck the landing for me.   There’s always some weird impulse that wants some out of character fireworks to happen on the final episode, but I’m glad the show stayed true to itself whilst still giving the needed fights.    Tom putting the sticker on Greg’s forehead was such a chef’s kiss moment

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2982 on: May 31, 2023, 02:15:42 AM »
Tom and Greg's will go down as one of the true great romances of our time.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #2983 on: May 31, 2023, 03:28:25 AM »
I'm a little disappointed with the new season of I Think You Should Leave. I was really looking forward to it but most of the skits feel incomplete or lacking the same insane magic as the first 2 seasons. I'm only half way through but ep 3 has been my favourite so far. Season 2 really feels like the peak of the show now but maybe I'm just not in the mood for it right now and forcing it because I'm bored and can't sleep.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2984 on: May 31, 2023, 03:47:38 AM »
I'm a little disappointed with the new season of I Think You Should Leave. I was really looking forward to it but most of the skits feel incomplete or lacking the same insane magic as the first 2 seasons. I'm only half way through but ep 3 has been my favourite so far. Season 2 really feels like the peak of the show now but maybe I'm just not in the mood for it right now and forcing it because I'm bored and can't sleep.

The silent show that gets heckled by frat guys made me laugh harder than a lot of things

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2985 on: May 31, 2023, 03:58:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The silent show that gets heckled by frat guys made me laugh harder than a lot of things
Yeah that one was good. At times it does feel a little like they just redo these same 5 sketches but slightly different or the whole joke is he's doing his squint or yelling but that pig sketch had me dying. I appreciate they know to get the laugh and end the sketch which is something I wish many other sketch comedies would do better. Def gonna rewatch at least one more time (prob a few more) and it felt like the later eps were funnier than the first

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2986 on: May 31, 2023, 06:19:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah that one was good. At times it does feel a little like they just redo these same 5 sketches but slightly different or the whole joke is he's doing his squint or yelling but that pig sketch had me dying. I appreciate they know to get the laugh and end the sketch which is something I wish many other sketch comedies would do better. Def gonna rewatch at least one more time (prob a few more) and it felt like the later eps were funnier than the first

Agreed, def a risk to do a show with a shared premise in each sketch (along the lines of not backing down ever) but I think they know their limit somewhat which is why it’s 6 eps of 15 minutes.    A minute extra would probably wear out it’s welcome for most

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
« Reply #2987 on: May 31, 2023, 07:47:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That was a good one, really enjoyed the driving crooner sketch too. When we just started puckering his lips over and over without saying anything before you know why had me dying. But I'll agree with Steely Daniel, this hasn't been my favorite season so far...
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #2988 on: May 31, 2023, 07:48:31 AM »
Tom and Greg's will go down as one of the true great romances of our time.

Well they are the "disgusting brothers" after all

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #2989 on: May 31, 2023, 08:33:24 AM »

I've only watched episode 1, at the end I was thinking "please let the next 5 episodes be better".
I liked "you're only here for the zipline" and Driving Crooner, but stuff like the fake water splashing at work felt like they picked up something from the cutting room floor from season 1 or 2.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2990 on: May 31, 2023, 10:40:54 AM »
I will never not enjoy that Kendall thought it would so “baller” to name his rich white son Iverson and that his son is a little nerd

I don’t mean this in a grandiose way, but Succession and Veep must feel like what it was to watch Shakespeare back in the day.   Modern audiences are always told how dense and joke filled the dialogue is with juvenile humor, etc, but it’s lost on anyone who’s honest and I just image how difficult the things they say in these shows must be to parse in hundreds of years times and how students stare blankly at a teacher who tries to explain the humor in a marzipan dildo.   

Barry didn’t feel rushed to me, but I think it’s a show I would have preferred to volume watch than once a week.   Impact dissipated a little bit with the wait. 

Succession stuck the landing for me.   There’s always some weird impulse that wants some out of character fireworks to happen on the final episode, but I’m glad the show stayed true to itself whilst still giving the needed fights.    Tom putting the sticker on Greg’s forehead was such a chef’s kiss moment

I thought the Kendall bender on Season 1 was the best shit "Im officially a Meth head" fucking lol,  probably my favorite was how he rapped at his dad's b-day " L to the O.G."

Mixed feelings on the ending...seriously got blindsided by that fight at the end with Rom and Kendall. Tom and Gregg fight was funny as fuck too. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2991 on: May 31, 2023, 11:18:53 PM »
Enjoying Platonic on Apple+.   It’s one of those pleasant, funny shows that isn’t trying to swing for the fences.   Also a very good Succession scene at the beginning of the 4th ep

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2992 on: May 31, 2023, 11:29:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Agreed, def a risk to do a show with a shared premise in each sketch (along the lines of not backing down ever) but I think they know their limit somewhat which is why it’s 6 eps of 15 minutes.    A minute extra would probably wear out it’s welcome for most
Rethinking my they just kinda redo the same sketches comment and it's probably a little harsh when I think about all the other sketch shows that literally do the same sketches every week. I guess the only difference is it's not packaged as specific characters like mad TVs stuart, fast shows "suit you sir", full frontals Milo Kerrigan, poita etc

slimvanilla

« Reply #2993 on: May 31, 2023, 11:59:35 PM »
new season of I Think You Should Leave is pretty damn funny. the magic of this show is that it gets even better when rewatching the sketches

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2994 on: June 01, 2023, 06:20:39 AM »
new season of I Think You Should Leave is pretty damn funny. the magic of this show is that it gets even better when rewatching the sketches

Yea there are some that don't hit me too hard but overall I enjoyed the hell out of binging through them the last couple nights. Gonna rewatch and come back to list my favorites.  Really wish Tim Heidecker could be in more skits too

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #2995 on: June 01, 2023, 08:58:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yea there are some that don't hit me too hard but overall I enjoyed the hell out of binging through them the last couple nights. Gonna rewatch and come back to list my favorites.  Really wish Tim Heidecker could be in more skits too

I'd really like to have seen more Patti Harrison too.
Season 3 is growing on me but if there's a season 4 I hope it has significantly less of the whole "being crazy and awkward in the corporate office" schtick. Across all seasons like 50% of the sketches take place in corporate offices. Branch out, man, there are millions of places where awkward shit can go down, explore the space.

slimvanilla

« Reply #2996 on: June 01, 2023, 12:56:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'd really like to have seen more Patti Harrison too.
Season 3 is growing on me but if there's a season 4 I hope it has significantly less of the whole "being crazy and awkward in the corporate office" schtick. Across all seasons like 50% of the sketches take place in corporate offices. Branch out, man, there are millions of places where awkward shit can go down, explore the space.
i agree that next season they gotta switch it up. they need to try something other than a corporate office, house party, commercial, or game show. it's getting repetitive. not to say it's not funny, but they need some fresh ideas to make it not boring going forward

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2997 on: June 04, 2023, 07:32:29 PM »
Anyone watching Ultimatum: Queer Love on Netflix?

It’s pretty entertaining.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2998 on: June 11, 2023, 10:30:11 PM »
God help me, but I’m kinda enjoying the new Schwarzenegger show FUBAR on Netflix.     

HarryScallywag

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2999 on: June 11, 2023, 11:33:05 PM »
Sweet Tooth
Black Summer