Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387348 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #3000 on: June 12, 2023, 02:31:45 AM »
Full Monty sequel series with the main cast returning and I think Danny Boyle helming is on FX/Hulu 6/14.   The movie is better than the pop culture takeaway of it. 

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3001 on: June 12, 2023, 03:47:05 AM »
I was never into cycling but I've been watching the new Tour de France documentary and I'm enjoying it alot

Abyss1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3002 on: June 12, 2023, 07:09:58 AM »
I was never into cycling but I've been watching the new Tour de France documentary and I'm enjoying it alot

Its cool theres a team that has Palace sponsors which threw me off

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3003 on: June 12, 2023, 08:20:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m stoked to watch it.    I’ve been a fan of the F1 and the PGA ones, the tennis show is the only one that didn’t quite work

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3004 on: June 13, 2023, 02:27:56 PM »
Full Monty sequel series with the main cast returning and I think Danny Boyle helming is on FX/Hulu 6/14.   The movie is better than the pop culture takeaway of it.
Pistol was much better than I expected it to be
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3005 on: June 15, 2023, 08:04:23 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed the Arnold documentary.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #3006 on: June 17, 2023, 08:16:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, this is really good. 

Palace seems to sponsor EF, which is a team built around anti-doping, ironically

breezy_again

• Rep: 50
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #3007 on: June 18, 2023, 03:36:45 AM »
new season of black mirror is super good

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3008 on: June 18, 2023, 02:17:22 PM »
I'm so hyped for the new season!

Didn't have a chance to watch an episode yet but I can't wait!!!

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #3009 on: June 18, 2023, 03:17:56 PM »

They rolled out a damn near perfect season until Josh Hartnett popped up. Jesus Christ his acting was so bad.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3010 on: June 18, 2023, 04:02:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They rolled out a damn near perfect season until Josh Hartnett popped up. Jesus Christ his acting was so bad.

I liked it more than previous season but that episode didnt hit the way I expected from trailers…the episode with the Indian lady was well done

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #3011 on: June 18, 2023, 04:30:54 PM »
Anyone watching the new season of Always Sunny? Maybe I'm too fixated on how weird mac, dee and Dennis look but it seems to suck ass.  I still can't get past the fact that Dees character wears $500 sneakers every episode either

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3012 on: June 18, 2023, 04:51:19 PM »
Anyone watching the new season of Always Sunny? Maybe I'm too fixated on how weird mac, dee and Dennis look but it seems to suck ass.  I still can't get past the fact that Dees character wears $500 sneakers every episode either

Really?  Haven’t noticed any change at all

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #3013 on: June 21, 2023, 06:17:20 PM »
It’s on Hulu but has anyone watched Gordon Ramsay’s Food Stars?  Utterly flawed program but I love the chaotic underdeveloped nature of the first season of a new show.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3014 on: June 21, 2023, 10:23:31 PM »
I like the Tour de France documentary but I am a road cycling nerd. This gets me hyped for the Tour and my wife is now a fan as well.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3015 on: June 22, 2023, 01:08:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought the first two eps were high level Sunny and then the third one felt like an off episode. Later that week, I was laughing to myself at how gross the resolution was. Most of the off ones are better on rewatch and a few of them have become classics to me.

I was down for the show to end maybe 5 or 6 years ago when the cast started getting becoming unavailable but I think they have worked out a smooth schedule now and should just keep it going forever.

EDIT: I still have no idea what bit Mac was doing when he was talking to Chase Utley. What was that voice all about?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #3016 on: June 22, 2023, 09:05:48 PM »
Not a movie or tv show, per se, but this was a good watch, esp with my man Willem Dafoe narrating.

"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3017 on: June 23, 2023, 02:04:11 AM »
Fans of Boots Riley and/or Sorry to Bother You: his new show “I’m A Virgo” just dropped on Prime

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3018 on: June 23, 2023, 02:15:32 PM »
Not a movie or tv show, per se, but this was a good watch, esp with my man Willem Dafoe narrating.

I saw the director's cut at an art house and thought that movie was amazing. The bad rep is partially for the absolute hatchet job they made of the theatrical cut. Once Upon a Time in America levels of fuckery. I'm glad they finally made it available on video.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #3019 on: June 24, 2023, 03:33:12 PM »

This is excellent.

Reminds me of another doc concerning an egocentric young filmmaker, also with Dafoe…

This documentary follows Troy Duffy, a brash, foul-mouthed bartender whose screenplay for an action film called "Boondock Saints" scores him a generous contract to write and direct the film for Harvey Weinstein at Miramax Studios. Duffy's band, the Brood, is also in the midst of signing a contract with Madonna's Maverick Records. Duffy's fiery manner is instrumental to his success, but when the deals go sour, no one seems safe from his explosive temper.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3020 on: June 24, 2023, 07:29:38 PM »
Fans of Boots Riley and/or Sorry to Bother You: his new show “I’m A Virgo” just dropped on Prime

@Atiba Applebum I heard that the first episode came out swinging - what did you think?

Sidenote - so far reviews (vis youtube nerdz) have been negative for Secret Invasion but I'm gonna watch the first episode tonight

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3021 on: June 24, 2023, 08:40:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@Atiba Applebum I heard that the first episode came out swinging - what did you think?

Sidenote - so far reviews (vis youtube nerdz) have been negative for Secret Invasion but I'm gonna watch the first episode tonight

I’ve got one ep left.   I’m not sure yet what I think - I like the ideas/message, but not sure if I’m wild about the execution.  I felt the same for his feature, where I was very on board for the movie up until that final act.     

I’ve been watching two at a time, I don’t remember ep 1 being that way, more establishing tone and premise and ep 2 is when it gets into things into topics I liked.   Don’t want to quite give away some things about the plot that go beyond him being 13 ft tall yet.   

I’m def going to watch Secret Invasion as a binge or mini-binge.    Eps are too short to satisfy one at a time.   I ignore the general complaints about Marvel bc that’s just kinda the cool thing to do now.   I’ve only really been underwhelmed by Eternals bc it was a ripped off Watchmen’s structure for no discernible reason.   I can usually find something I like about the other ones…I think

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3022 on: June 25, 2023, 06:54:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s not too bad… nothing spectacular. But it’s kind of nice to get something a bit more low key. Last thing i watched was the antman movie. Meh.

I haven’t seen all the current movies, but I’ve enjoyed most of the mcu shows… only thing i worry is secret invasion will be concluded relatively quick (only 6 episodes) where as i think in the comics it was a big thing. Would be cool if it has affects on the the future mcu stories though.. I’m assuming it will.

/nerd
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #3023 on: June 25, 2023, 10:28:05 AM »
Catching Killers on Netflix is a super solid series.  40 minute crime docs about old cases with interviews and reenactments- a classic format, but I think this is best of breed.  It’s well-executed.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3024 on: June 25, 2023, 05:22:31 PM »
@Atiba Applebum @BallDontLie the first episode of Secret Invasion was pretty cool actually.
The writing/dialogue didn't knock my socks off by any means but I'm a sucker for the alien invasion genre in general and I'm always looking for a little taste of that magic from 1983 "V" or 1978 Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.
I never read the Bendis comic books so I'm not sure how word for word the script and story are but an aging Nick Fury alone is interesting enough as a subject to hold my attention for awhile. I'm also interested in the non-superhero side of MCU.
There are a lot of moments that were either cliche or where I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't use obvious opportunities to make the dialogue more complex/nuanced and the visual elements more engaging. As an example- there's a fight in an art gallery storage area that lacks real energy or threat of danger. Why not make it slightly more interesting and throw some "priceless Picassos" at each other? Just stuff like that to make the walls seems more solid and less set-like.
I'm about to watch episode 2 so my whole opinion could shift within the hour.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3025 on: June 25, 2023, 06:18:03 PM »
@Atiba Applebum @BallDontLie the first episode of Secret Invasion was pretty cool actually.
The writing/dialogue didn't knock my socks off by any means but I'm a sucker for the alien invasion genre in general and I'm always looking for a little taste of that magic from 1983 "V" or 1978 Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.
I never read the Bendis comic books so I'm not sure how word for word the script and story are but an aging Nick Fury alone is interesting enough as a subject to hold my attention for awhile. I'm also interested in the non-superhero side of MCU.
There are a lot of moments that were either cliche or where I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't use obvious opportunities to make the dialogue more complex/nuanced and the visual elements more engaging. As an example- there's a fight in an art gallery storage area that lacks real energy or threat of danger. Why not make it slightly more interesting and throw some "priceless Picassos" at each other? Just stuff like that to make the walls seems more solid and less set-like.
I'm about to watch episode 2 so my whole opinion could shift within the hour.

Don’t be offended, but I’m not going to read this for like 4 weeks.  I’m veeeeery spoiler averse hah

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #3026 on: June 25, 2023, 06:21:04 PM »

Didn't even realize it was on so thanks for the heads-up even if it does suck. The last season I wasn't too impressed with either. Gotta catch up on this still and new Righteous Gemstones.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #3027 on: June 25, 2023, 07:47:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I thought the first two eps were high level Sunny and then the third one felt like an off episode. Later that week, I was laughing to myself at how gross the resolution was. Most of the off ones are better on rewatch and a few of them have become classics to me.

I was down for the show to end maybe 5 or 6 years ago when the cast started getting becoming unavailable but I think they have worked out a smooth schedule now and should just keep it going forever.

EDIT: I still have no idea what bit Mac was doing when he was talking to Chase Utley. What was that voice all about?

I do fully back the idea of them just keeping the series going as long as they're all willing regardless of my personal opinions. Fuckin love the bastards so I'll forever watch anyway.  I check out random episodes of their podcast too and have to say I enjoy it quite a bit so I won't lose hope on whatever comes next

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3028 on: June 25, 2023, 08:08:52 PM »

Kaitlin Olsen’s plastic surgery really fucks with how expressive her face used to be. I read something about how she has serious body image and self esteem issues due to an accident in her early teens so I don’t want to rag on her but it’s kinda hard to watch.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3029 on: June 25, 2023, 08:40:11 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Kaitlin Olsen’s plastic surgery really fucks with how expressive her face used to be. I read something about how she has serious body image and self esteem issues due to an accident in her early teens so I don’t want to rag on her but it’s kinda hard to watch.

Wasn’t there a running gag in one of the esp this season that she had facial paralysis?    I think for its 15th season, it still is worthy and it’s hilarious they managed to incorporate the chess grandmaster rumors into the  latest ep