Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387800 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #3090 on: October 20, 2023, 02:05:29 AM »
I love the cross section of opinions and tastes I get in here and the movies thread, so I was wondering if i could pump anybody for opinions on the new Boys spin-off: Gen V. 

Rusty Shackleford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #3091 on: October 20, 2023, 08:24:29 AM »
the live action one piece is pretty badass!!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3092 on: October 20, 2023, 12:25:57 PM »
Netflix: house and fall of usher was hella good
Hulu: impeachment - bill Clinton movie …amazing
Hulu: dopesick -  Micheal keaton killed it

Tried into the badlands since its about to get removed and season 1 and 2 are good season 3 is whack

Need some recommendations for max

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3093 on: October 20, 2023, 12:45:42 PM »

Tried into the badlands since its about to get removed and season 1 and 2 are good season 3 is whack

Gangs of London S1 is an AMC+ show but it’s on Max for the rest of the month.   Don’t necessarily recommend S2. 

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3094 on: October 20, 2023, 06:16:53 PM »
I love the cross section of opinions and tastes I get in here and the movies thread, so I was wondering if i could pump anybody for opinions on the new Boys spin-off: Gen V.
I haven't finished it yet but the tone is pretty much identical to The Boys. It is also technically an adaptation of the 7th story arc in the comic so it isn't strictly speaking a spin-off. No spoilers as I read the comic as it came out so it's been a while but I have the feeling that a few of these characters get merged into the main storyline.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3095 on: October 20, 2023, 06:31:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I haven't finished it yet but the tone is pretty much identical to The Boys. It is also technically an adaptation of the 7th story arc in the comic so it isn't strictly speaking a spin-off. No spoilers as I read the comic as it came out so it's been a while but I have the feeling that a few of these characters get merged into the main storyline.

Yeah they introduced something this week that’s def from the main run.   Do you like it as much as the main Boys show though?

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3096 on: October 20, 2023, 06:36:57 PM »
Fuckin love The Boys show, don’t know the comics.
Gen V is cool so far, too new to have as much love for it as The Boys imho…

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3097 on: October 20, 2023, 09:15:55 PM »
My kid and I really liked it too. Neither of us had seen the anime.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3098 on: October 20, 2023, 09:21:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My kid and I really liked it too. Neither of us had seen the anime.

Like it even with being cautious about it being an anime adaption and filled with actors/creatives without much of a track record.   Still shudder a little bit at the names and “move” calling, but that all seems to be on the main guy Luffy and not the other mains

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #3099 on: November 01, 2023, 08:48:47 AM »
Over the last couple weeks have been rewatching fortitude and Mr Mercedes. Just season one for each, I've seen them before and they're good but really take a different direction after season one.

Also just started dark winds and it seems pretty decent so far

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3100 on: November 01, 2023, 09:19:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gangs of London S1 is an AMC+ show but it’s on Max for the rest of the month.   Don’t necessarily recommend S2.

Gangs of London is sick, got through 5 episodes.  Also started watching Warrior on Max, action is pretty good, a bit horny at times with the sex scenes, its crazy how triggering a lot of the Chinese put downs make me even though Im not

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3101 on: November 01, 2023, 09:24:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Gangs of London is sick, got through 5 episodes.  Also started watching Warrior on Max, action is pretty good, a bit horny at times with the sex scenes, its crazy how triggering a lot of the Chinese put downs make me even though Im not

I would say Warrior gets substantially less horny after the first season to the point where there isn’t any of that really in the third.   I think it’s just the Banshee guys getting that Cinemax out of their system

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #3102 on: November 02, 2023, 03:04:21 AM »
I been watching this show called alone they have to live out in the woods, they get a bow and arrow and knives and shit and they have to eat rats and bunnies to survive. One bloke kills a moose and he eats fuck out of that thing he even eats it’s hooves

One of them burns their shelter down by mistake and another one loses his lighter so no fire but he goes home when that happens. It’s decent
listen to cosmic psychos

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3103 on: November 09, 2023, 11:57:30 AM »
I know I’m late to the party but I just started watching High Maintenance and I’m really digging the first season.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #3104 on: November 10, 2023, 11:24:53 AM »
I know I’m late to the party but I just started watching High Maintenance and I’m really digging the first season.
I believe i'm up to season 3 (current) but i've never met anyone else who was watching or enjoying this show. Do you have a favorite episode? Too many for me to mention. The music, the randomness, the feels...pretty much unmatched some times. I don't know if they are going to continue making episodes.  Thank you for mentioning this!

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3105 on: November 10, 2023, 06:55:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I believe i'm up to season 3 (current) but i've never met anyone else who was watching or enjoying this show. Do you have a favorite episode? Too many for me to mention. The music, the randomness, the feels...pretty much unmatched some times. I don't know if they are going to continue making episodes.  Thank you for mentioning this!
@Jehoshaphat Augustus I’m not all that far into it yet- just up to where he’s traveled upstate for the funeral, but I really like the vignette structure and the surrealism. It reminds me of the show Atlanta.
Also after having lived in NYC for over 20 years it's cool to see a program actually get so many of the uniquely/idiosyncratically weird little New York things so dead on.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Also: the new season of 30 Coins recently dropped on HBOMax and I really enjoy it. I’ve got to say though that the actor who plays Paco desperately needs some professional training. The dude is a terrible physical actor. In the season 2 episode 1 hospital chase scene he can’t even believably look in a direction let alone move in one. I know that’s really harsh and who knows- maybe that actor has a serious equilibrium problem or something- but I was laughing my ass off during an action scene that was supposed to be suspenseful. It reminds me of that scene in 30 Rock when Alec Baldwin doesn’t know how to move on camera and he becomes so stiff and awkward that his solution is to hold a coffee mug in each hand.
Regardless I’m stoked the show back.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 43
« Reply #3106 on: November 10, 2023, 07:11:37 PM »
big lebowski on netflix right now go watch and rewatch

Mr. Pickles

« Reply #3107 on: November 10, 2023, 07:20:05 PM »
I been watching this show called alone they have to live out in the woods, they get a bow and arrow and knives and shit and they have to eat rats and bunnies to survive. One bloke kills a moose and he eats fuck out of that thing he even eats it’s hooves

One of them burns their shelter down by mistake and another one loses his lighter so no fire but he goes home when that happens. It’s decent

I’ve got like 2 shows I watch for myself, and Alone is one of them. Love that shit. The last season on there with the Mexican dude was bad though. Great British Baking Show is the other show…

I can’t stand that they’re releasing episodes every Friday for the bake off. Bums me out.

Wheel of time season 2 was way better than season 1.

Goosebumps on Disney+ is good for what it is. My kid and I are watching it every Friday.

Gen V was also great.

I’m getting kind of sick of streaming. I pay so much for all of this crap and I feel like I don’t have time to watch any of it. Prime is a necessity and it sucks. Netflix keeps going up. I’ve got the Disney bundled with live hulu for sports and that shits like $90 a month now. Paramount, peacock. I get hbo from my internet provider, but I feel like I’m paying more than I ever did having cable.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3108 on: November 10, 2023, 07:39:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve got like 2 shows I watch for myself, and Alone is one of them. Love that shit. The last season on there with the Mexican dude was bad though. Great British Baking Show is the other show…

I can’t stand that they’re releasing episodes every Friday for the bake off. Bums me out.

Goosebumps on Disney+ is good for what it is. My kid and I are watching it every Friday.

Gen V was also great.

I’m getting kind of sick of streaming. I pay so much for all of this crap and I feel like I don’t have time to watch any of it. Prime is a necessity and it sucks. Netflix keeps going up. I’ve got the Disney bundled with live hulu for sports and that shits like $90 a month now. Paramount, peacock. I get hbo from my internet provider, but I feel like I’m paying more than I ever did having cable.
There is no way any streaming service is worth $90 a month. My memory has turned to mush as far as remembering shows/years these days but I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper for me to just buy the couple shows and movies I liked on DVD (altho they prob don't even make them anymore) than having endless menus of shit I'd never even watch/ put on for ten mins, decide they suck and switch off

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3109 on: November 10, 2023, 08:47:11 PM »
If you’re paying 90/mo for Hulu Disney and ESPN, I’d question if you’re getting the bundle.   None of those services a la carte are 30 bucks a month unless you’re getting the tip top impractical level

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3110 on: November 10, 2023, 08:49:51 PM »
Biggest gripe with Gen V is that they never let you live in the premise of it being a school show.    There are like 4 scenes total about actually going to school (not to mention about 4 different sets).   Their dorm room could have easily been an apartment building.   

Post-credits scene was kind of shrug-worthy too, though I did like the cliffhanger the show ended on

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3111 on: November 10, 2023, 09:21:02 PM »
Now I've rethought about it maybe $90 isn't that crazy.(altho I personally probably wouldn't pay for that) It's like $3 a day. Thinking back to ten years ago people would pay $3 per ep of game of thrones and Westworld etc. And I guess I bought them all on DVD so I prob payed about that too lol

Mr. Pickles

« Reply #3112 on: November 10, 2023, 09:31:44 PM »
Yea I got it for baseball and basketball, but there has to be another way. I’m almost to the point where I’ll just listen on the radio. Regional sports blackouts are a joke.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3113 on: November 10, 2023, 09:36:43 PM »
Yea I got it for baseball and basketball, but there has to be another way. I’m almost to the point where I’ll just listen on the radio. Regional sports blackouts are a joke.

ESPN+ is 11/month or 110/year…unless we’re talking prices outside the US

I’d honestly think to recommend YouTube TV for sports (it’s TV not ad-free YouTube).   I find it easier to watch soccer than on Peacock or whatever app bc you can DVR stuff

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3114 on: November 13, 2023, 01:17:32 AM »
Got Apple Plus, Platonic and Shrinking both not good….through the writers strike the conversation of AI writing seemed ridiculous….after watching these shows….they both seemed so basic and mailed in…..just give shit like this to robots…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3115 on: November 13, 2023, 01:30:57 AM »
Got Apple Plus, Platonic and Shrinking both not good….through the writers strike the conversation of AI writing seemed ridiculous….after watching these shows….they both seemed so basic and mailed in…..just give shit like this to robots…

Shrinking is pretty popular, esp with the Ted Lasso crowd (similar creative teams).   I liked Platonic.   Some things can just be pleasant without being game changers. 

The issue with AI writing scripts is that they’ll have AI write a piece of shit first draft and have writers fix it, but at the expense of not having any ownership over the script so they’ll get paid peanuts to do all that work. 

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3116 on: November 14, 2023, 01:30:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gen V was also great.

If you're interested, I'm on a Great British Bake Off podcast with my homegirls. Quarter finals time!
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3117 on: November 14, 2023, 01:56:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Gen V was also great.

[close]
If you're interested, I'm on a Great British Bake Off podcast with my homegirls. Quarter finals time!

Chuffed for Matty to make it this far.   Guys like him don’t tend to make it past the first 3 weeks

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3118 on: November 14, 2023, 02:02:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Gen V was also great.

[close]

[close]

Chuffed for Matty to make it this far.   Guys like him don’t tend to make it past the first 3 weeks
Oh man I went pretty hard on Matty the last episode we recorded but, in my defense, Josh has been my guy this whole time

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3119 on: November 14, 2023, 06:48:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Gen V was also great.

[close]

[close]

[close]
Oh man I went pretty hard on Matty the last episode we recorded but, in my defense, Josh has been my guy this whole time

My favorite moment in the last ep is at the end of the intro Noel makes a comment about why Paul Hollywood was walking funny and you can tell it was unscripted bc of the face the new co-host (Allison?   Love her inclusion btw) makes at him