Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387834 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #3120 on: November 14, 2023, 10:24:06 PM »
Intrigued by Murder at the End of the World (Hulu/fx).   

Despite the “Lisbeth Salander meets the Glass Onion” premise, I have high hopes.   

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #3121 on: November 14, 2023, 10:31:22 PM »
^^^ I saw the commercial for this last night. It looks cool. I didn't used to love Clive Owen but he has grown on me starting with "Children of Men".

I never saw "The Knick". Was that good?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3122 on: November 14, 2023, 10:56:20 PM »
^^^ I saw the commercial for this last night. It looks cool. I didn't used to love Clive Owen but he has grown on me starting with "Children of Men".

I loved the Knick.   Two perfect seasons

The only thing about this show I’m nervous about is I’m not always on board with Brit Marling/Zal Batmangli’s creative choices.   The OA was not my favorite and I couldn’t do s2 despite hearing good things…
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 11:04:13 PM by Atiba Applebum »

Salad farmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
« Reply #3123 on: November 16, 2023, 08:40:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The only thing about this show I’m nervous about is I’m not always on board with Brit Marling/Zal Batmangli’s creative choices.   The OA was not my favorite and I couldn’t do s2 despite hearing good things…

Completely agree about the Knick and not being able to get into the OA. I've enjoyed For All Mankind on Apple tv so far, progression from season to season is significant enough that at the end of each season I'm looking forward to where it goes from there.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3124 on: November 16, 2023, 09:28:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Completely agree about the Knick and not being able to get into the OA. I've enjoyed For All Mankind on Apple tv so far, progression from season to season is significant enough that at the end of each season I'm looking forward to where it goes from there.

I haven’t been in love with FAM bc I’m not crazy about Joel Kinnaman, but I’ve stuck with it.    There are some intriguing sparks setting up in this season and I dig Toby Kebbell so it’s nice to see him in the mix

Has anyone watched the Curse yet?  Don’t want to speak too much on it yet

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3125 on: November 17, 2023, 04:37:09 AM »
On episode 3 of Loki season 2…. Enjoying it. Clearing the bad taste from secret invasion yeeeesh.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3126 on: November 17, 2023, 04:44:31 AM »
On episode 3 of Loki season 2…. Enjoying it. Clearing the bad taste from secret invasion yeeeesh.

Yeah secret invasion was rough and pointless.    They’ve shut down daredevil bc they realized they need to get some people with tv know how in there and if they fuck up daredevil that’s a bridge too far.   

Honestly, Invincible seems like the only real way to do a superhero type shoe.    Maybe bc I know better, but I can just feel the budget straining on even the Boys when they have to made Canada look like a South America Contra camp.    I’d almost like to see a comics-accurate animated series for the show (and maybe even Preache) like they did in thst Boys spin-off animated series.   

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3127 on: November 17, 2023, 09:47:13 AM »
A scifi-y espionage show with Samuel L. And Emilia Clarke i was sold. Ep 1 wasn’t too bad, but the rest was a chore to finish. Guess the marvel fatigue as well…

Ke Huy Quan has been my favorite part of Loki 2. Great addition.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3128 on: November 17, 2023, 09:59:33 AM »
Im the same with superhero movies... I thought this was well done and reflects my thought on R rated superhero movies

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3129 on: November 17, 2023, 10:33:18 AM »
A scifi-y espionage show with Samuel L. And Emilia Clarke i was sold. Ep 1 wasn’t too bad, but the rest was a chore to finish. Guess the marvel fatigue as well…

Ke Huy Quan has been my favorite part of Loki 2. Great addition.

I was sold on the premise too, but I don’t think they ever really committed fully to the espionage part as well as I would have liked.   The shapeshifting reveals didn’t make much sense and I wish it had been seeded better previously the way Hydra had kinda been.   The biggest reveal you just kinda think…well when the fuck did that happen?

I also kept thinking about why the skrulls were having such a hard time while New Asgard was getting along quite swimmingly.    Completely ignoring NA felt like a missed opportunity to comment on immigrant assimilation or something.   

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 432
« Reply #3130 on: November 19, 2023, 04:45:51 AM »
Really enjoyed The Killer. I love Michael Fassbender and Fincher made excellent use of him in this one.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3131 on: November 19, 2023, 04:56:06 AM »
Really enjoyed The Killer. I love Michael Fassbender and Fincher made excellent use of him in this one.

My enjoyment grows with the thought of it

It felt almost intentionally like a tv show.   I don’t remember opening production cards, just went straight into the intro montage like a tv show and the obvious episodic nature of the narrative.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3132 on: November 19, 2023, 12:10:39 PM »
That was a LOT of Morrissey though.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

skippersoldballs

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3133 on: November 19, 2023, 06:33:42 PM »
I liked Pluto a lot but some of the English voice acting was very grating. enjoyed it a lot more with subtitles

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3134 on: November 20, 2023, 10:20:53 PM »
If any of you have YouTube premium the movie Moon starring Sam Rockwell is currently available and it’s really good.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3135 on: November 21, 2023, 03:08:22 AM »
If any of you have YouTube premium the movie Moon starring Sam Rockwell is currently available and it’s really good.

Super underrated…. Didn’t even get an Oscar nod, granted 2008 had a lot of competition.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3136 on: November 21, 2023, 08:58:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It felt almost intentionally like a tv show.   I don’t remember opening production cards, just went straight into the intro montage like a tv show and the obvious episodic nature of the narrative.

I liked how it was shot and the acting a lot, but the story was a bit cliche for me found myself correctly guessing the 2nd and 3rd acts all from events in the 1st act

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3137 on: November 21, 2023, 09:07:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I liked how it was shot and the acting a lot, but the story was a bit cliche for me found myself correctly guessing the 2nd and 3rd acts all from events in the 1st act

A “well-structured” script will do that.   The idea is to establish things subtly in your mind so that things don’t seem coincidental, but also not with a bell around its neck.   I think as you become a better movie watcher you just happen to notice these things more and more - but I do agree it wasn’t the most original thing in the world

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #3138 on: November 21, 2023, 09:15:28 AM »

He is killer show stealer, he was the most important character in Galaxy Quest lol.

I loved him in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles handing out cigarettes to kids as part of the Foot Klan

spectacular raaaaange

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3139 on: November 21, 2023, 09:44:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He is killer show stealer, he was the most important character in Galaxy Quest lol.

I loved him in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles handing out cigarettes to kids as part of the Foot Klan

spectacular raaaaange

Anyone see Safe Men back in the day?   Remember that being a hit with the colllege film crowd in the early 00s but I haven’t seen it years.   Rockwell + Zahn.  Remember it being like Bottle Rocket in spirit

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3140 on: November 21, 2023, 11:04:21 AM »
There’s also this one that flew under the radar *edit: with Sam Rockwell… pretty funny

« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 01:48:58 PM by BallDontLie »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3141 on: November 21, 2023, 08:36:44 PM »
There was a time in my life where I thought the idea of an adaptation of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was impossible but that movie is super good and Sam Rockwell is a big part of that.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3142 on: November 22, 2023, 04:49:59 AM »
There was a time in my life where I thought the idea of an adaptation of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was impossible but that movie is super good and Sam Rockwell is a big part of that.

Forgot about that one! Broken record alert, but Man Netflix had so much cool stuff 10+ years ago…

Always enjoyed this one…

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 105
« Reply #3143 on: November 22, 2023, 02:03:35 PM »
It Ain’t Over—a Yogi Berra documentary. Really dug it on multiple levels. Haven’t watched baseball in years but it got me a little emotional.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3144 on: November 22, 2023, 02:35:30 PM »
Sam Rockwells:

Matchstick Men
Welcome to Collinwood
Way Way Back
Seven Psychopaths

Remember Lawn Dogs being something movie nerds in college in early 00s talked about 

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3145 on: November 22, 2023, 07:56:57 PM »
Fargo is back.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3146 on: November 22, 2023, 10:23:30 PM »
Sam Rockwells:

Matchstick Men
Welcome to Collinwood
Way Way Back
Seven Psychopaths

Remember Lawn Dogs being something movie nerds in college in early 00s talked about

He’s a special talent. Somehow he’s managed to play a sympathetic WW2 Nazi in Jojo Rabbit, he outshined both Mickey Rourke and Robert Downey Jr in Iron Man 2, and carried Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri with Frances McDormand. There’s nobody like him and he can fucking dance.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3147 on: November 23, 2023, 01:48:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Sam Rockwells:

Matchstick Men
Welcome to Collinwood
Way Way Back
Seven Psychopaths

[close]

He’s a special talent. Somehow he’s managed to play a sympathetic WW2 Nazi in Jojo Rabbit, he outshined both Mickey Rourke and Robert Downey Jr in Iron Man 2, and carried Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri with Frances McDormand. There’s nobody like him and he can fucking dance.

Dance?   Are we talking Charlie’s Angels now?

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #3148 on: November 23, 2023, 06:49:23 AM »
rewatched Hateful 8 for the first time in years.

Still good and surprising having seen it before

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3149 on: November 23, 2023, 04:18:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sam Rockwells:

Matchstick Men
Welcome to Collinwood
Way Way Back
Seven Psychopaths

[close]

[close]

Dance?   Are we talking Charlie’s Angels now?

LOL yeah he does dance really well in Charlie’s Angels but I was actually thinking of Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind.