Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387832 times)

Steely Daniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #3210 on: January 28, 2024, 10:28:29 PM »
I'm enjoying the new True Detective. I like the setting and all the indigenous characters in it.

However, I did enjoy season 2 as well so my opinion might be garbage.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #3211 on: January 28, 2024, 10:40:40 PM »
You are not alone, Steely Daniel, I think S4 is pretty good so far as well.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3212 on: January 29, 2024, 05:16:40 AM »
I'm enjoying the new True Detective. I like the setting and all the indigenous characters in it.

However, I did enjoy season 2 as well so my opinion might be garbage.

Season 2 took me a while, but it grew on me… i definitely had to google details here and there though…

They really set the bar insanely high with 1. Wish i could rewatch for the first time again. Too damn good.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #3213 on: January 29, 2024, 08:54:16 AM »
Season 4 stepped up a notch after I started watching the episode breakdowns. I definitely miss a lot of details first watch through

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #3214 on: January 29, 2024, 03:52:24 PM »
But is the the spiral thing the same from S1

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #3215 on: January 29, 2024, 06:44:53 PM »

Wondering the same thing. 

Digging this season a lot.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3216 on: January 29, 2024, 07:18:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wondering the same thing. 

Digging this season a lot.

The Detective who isn’t Jodie Foster was in a solid indie a few years back called Catch the Fair One

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3217 on: January 29, 2024, 07:31:10 PM »
Pretty X Filesy, which is fine with me

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3218 on: January 30, 2024, 11:04:11 AM »

It is. And the dead guy on the ice that leads to the bodies in episode 1 is Rust Cohle's dad.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 432
« Reply #3219 on: February 25, 2024, 01:56:54 AM »
Random but I recently noted an increase in references to penis size in TV shows and films. The Curse used the protagonists small penis as a major theme and metaphor and even showed it. Salt Burn got a kick out of its hero's sizable schlong. I wonder if there are more? Is this a more general trend? Can't remember this being made a central theme outside of maybe the odd Sex and the City episode.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3220 on: February 25, 2024, 07:45:22 AM »
Random but I recently noted an increase in references to penis size in TV shows and films. The Curse used the protagonists small penis as a major theme and metaphor and even showed it. Salt Burn got a kick out of its hero's sizable schlong. I wonder if there are more? Is this a more general trend? Can't remember this being made a central theme outside of maybe the odd Sex and the City episode.

Yeah I liked how brave The Curse was for really taking small penised men to task.   I can’t think of any better thing to shine a light on in society than a physical attribute that no one can do anything about.   

But I haven’t really noticed a broader thing.   I think there’s been a subtle shift in trying to make nudity more than just a think actresses have to endure, but anytime a male actor gets naked, it’s become a bigger hullabaloo.   All the Saltburn jokes are slightly recycled from Fassbender in Shame

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #3221 on: February 25, 2024, 09:32:31 AM »
Just finished Fargo season 4…. Doozy. Might be my favorite one so far edging season 2.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3222 on: February 25, 2024, 08:03:15 PM »
Getting a vibe Curb is going to end just like Seinfeld as a fun little FU to everyone for bitching about the Seinfeld Fjnale

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #3223 on: February 26, 2024, 04:00:21 AM »
Speaking of bitching about finales...
I hated how that true detective season ended. (SPOILERS) I always hate when thrillers kinda just at the end go oh yeah it was this person you had no reason to suspect and only was in the show for about two mins total.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3224 on: March 04, 2024, 04:52:36 AM »
Getting a vibe Curb is going to end just like Seinfeld as a fun little FU to everyone for bitching about the Seinfeld Fjnale

Yeah, this is definitely headed towards another trial.

Also, it's fucking eery to see Richard Lewis on Curb now. RIP.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #3225 on: March 04, 2024, 06:40:31 AM »
I hated how that true detective season ended. (SPOILERS) I always hate when thrillers kinda just at the end go oh yeah it was this person you had no reason to suspect and only was in the show for about two mins total.

Took me a couple weeks to watch the finale after hearing how bad it was and yeah it was even worse than I anticipated. And then I went and saw Issa Lopez just got a 5th season approved with HBO. What the fuck

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3226 on: March 04, 2024, 07:47:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Took me a couple weeks to watch the finale after hearing how bad it was and yeah it was even worse than I anticipated. And then I went and saw Issa Lopez just got a 5th season approved with HBO. What the fuck

It did a lot better ratings than the first season did.   A new season shouldn’t be surprising in that context.   No one liked S1 finale either

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3227 on: March 04, 2024, 08:30:39 AM »
Im having a hard time with the latest true detective…some aspects i like (the x-filey stuff) but a lot of it just doesnt grab me and i get confused with certain characters roles for the overall story. 

I actually am enjoying Tokyo Vice season 2 a lot more, anyone else watching this in Max?

Hulu also dropped shogun and that shit hits too.  I love all these japan based shows coming out

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #3228 on: March 04, 2024, 08:59:12 AM »
Shogun is A+ so far. 

Only two episodes in but considering the source material are both legendary (the book and the tv movie) I can't imagine it's going to drop in quality.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3229 on: March 04, 2024, 11:31:11 AM »
The Regime on HBO is pretty great.  Didn’t expect it to be in the same genre as Succession.   Calling someone a “mewling vulva” was great

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #3230 on: March 04, 2024, 06:27:15 PM »
Shogun is A+ so far. 

Only two episodes in but considering the source material are both legendary (the book and the tv movie) I can't imagine it's going to drop in quality.
Episode 2 was so damn good.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3231 on: March 04, 2024, 10:16:37 PM »
And episode 3.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3232 on: March 07, 2024, 01:16:43 PM »
The Gentleman on Netflix so far is the best gangster thing Guy Ritchie has done since his iconic ones.   It’s obviously not touching those two, but I’m enjoying it so far.    (Doesn’t seem to have any plot connections to his film The Gentlemen, but all I really remember that was the UK Grime music video scenes)

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3233 on: March 09, 2024, 04:09:24 AM »
The Gentleman on Netflix so far is the best gangster thing Guy Ritchie has done since his iconic ones.   It’s obviously not touching those two, but I’m enjoying it so far.    (Doesn’t seem to have any plot connections to his film The Gentlemen, but all I really remember that was the UK Grime music video scenes)

the basic premise of the plot (British aristocrats renting out their land to weed farms) is the same.

Agreed it's great fun. When I saw the lead actor I was worried he wouldn't be up to carrying it, but he is.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3234 on: March 09, 2024, 09:16:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the basic premise of the plot (British aristocrats renting out their land to weed farms) is the same.

Agreed it's great fun. When I saw the lead actor I was worried he wouldn't be up to carrying it, but he is.

Gotcha, I remember Colin Ferrell and I think Hugh Grant, but no real particulars.   Every time I do, I realize it’s RockNRolla I’m thinking of.   Plus Ray Winstone finally doing Guy Ritchie after a role in Lock, Stock didn’t work out and Vinnie Jones back in the fold.   

Also, surprised, after promising two more in the end of the movie that Guy never tried to do a tv version of RockNRolla. 

Pasta Monster

« Reply #3235 on: March 09, 2024, 09:38:44 AM »
What We Do in the Shadows on Hulu is decent. It kept showing up in my recommendations, so I thought I’d watch a couple minutes before downvoting it. I never cared for vampire/werwolf/witch stuff, but I’m already halfway through season 3.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3236 on: March 09, 2024, 12:30:02 PM »
What We Do in the Shadows on Hulu is decent. It kept showing up in my recommendations, so I thought I’d watch a couple minutes before downvoting it. I never cared for vampire/werwolf/witch stuff, but I’m already halfway through season 3.

Wellington Paranormal is more of a spinoff of the movie since it’s NZ based, but it’s pretty fun too.  The male cop being named Kyle Minogue always works for me

LeDave

• Rep: -14
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #3237 on: March 09, 2024, 02:19:29 PM »
Dont have access to Netflix anymore. It is probably already mentioned many times, but Squid Games!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3238 on: March 11, 2024, 10:01:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, this is definitely headed towards another trial.

Also, it's fucking eery to see Richard Lewis on Curb now. RIP.

They mentioned the Seinfeld finale again last night

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3239 on: March 11, 2024, 10:18:32 AM »

Im enjoying it so far (2 episodes in), love seeing characters from snatch and lock stock in this show