Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387774 times)

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #3270 on: April 12, 2024, 03:20:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's Hulu but

Is anyone watching shogun? I wanna go to Japan so badly.

I wanna snowboard indoors. I wanna stay for a month or two.
[close]

I want to be honor bound to negotiate the services of the countries best sexual courtesan for the person I love
[close]

Terrible.

Yeah it's ugly af. The art is on point tho. I love the clothes. The sets. The scenery. I wanna go to the Northernmost point of Japan and paint it.
I wanna go to that janky butt thermometer bowl/ tape worm quarter pipe park. It's on that island. I think it for livestock tho
[close]

Tokyo Vice is another good one if you want a modern Japan series.   It just finished up after 2 seasons
[close]

I enjoyed both seasons...hope they get a season 3

Shogun, will probably go down as one of my all time favorites tv shows...soo many good film shots, sets, and costume designs.   

Both shows have the main Japanese characters for the last samurai which is kinda dope
[close]

I hope TV gets a season 3 too, but I would be surprised as it seems expensive and it feels like they wrapped it up.   However, I would def recommend the book by the real Jake Adelstein. 

Shogun creative team is apparently behind the upcoming Blade Runner 2099 show coming later this year.   They said there’s no chance for a Shogun season 2 unless someone writes a book for it.   They don’t have the time or capacity to do the amount of research needed to do more
[close]

uh, pick some classic samourai tropes and add a white guy to the mix? should about do it.

not to say i don't enjoy it.

Except, that's not what James Clavell did...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(pilot)

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

hmmoookay

• Rep: 70
  • content nausea
« Reply #3271 on: April 12, 2024, 03:51:20 PM »
enjoying the fallout series so far. goofy and intense. I've played the fallout games so I was already familiar with the world but they've done a good job of bringing it to live action imo.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3272 on: April 12, 2024, 04:41:00 PM »
You all sold me and I'm caught up on Shogun. I was put off by the Eurocentric aspects of the story the same way I was with The Last Samurai (I skipped it because of this and also I hate Tom Cruise) even though I know that it's based in historical fact. I guess that cuts both ways; more Western audience appeal but it still reads as a problem for some people. Despite all this, Blackthorne is just one character and they've done a great job fleshing nearly everyone else out. At episode 8, I feel like Ochiba No Kata is a little underdeveloped and seems like they have just put her in Lady Macbeth/Throne of Blood mode and let the audience fill in the rest. For eg. I wasn't entirely sure what her relationship to the old woman at the beginning of episode 8 was, although it seemed important. Still there's 2 to go and plenty of time to flesh her out. This wound up sounding more negative than I meant it to because I am really into it.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Ticallion Stallion

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #3273 on: April 12, 2024, 07:12:20 PM »
You all sold me and I'm caught up on Shogun. I was put off by the Eurocentric aspects of the story the same way I was with The Last Samurai (I skipped it because of this and also I hate Tom Cruise) even though I know that it's based in historical fact. I guess that cuts both ways; more Western audience appeal but it still reads as a problem for some people. Despite all this, Blackthorne is just one character and they've done a great job fleshing nearly everyone else out. At episode 8, I feel like Ochiba No Kata is a little underdeveloped and seems like they have just put her in Lady Macbeth/Throne of Blood mode and let the audience fill in the rest. For eg. I wasn't entirely sure what her relationship to the old woman at the beginning of episode 8 was, although it seemed important. Still there's 2 to go and plenty of time to flesh her out. This wound up sounding more negative than I meant it to because I am really into it.

She birthed the Taikos son for the old lady.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3274 on: April 12, 2024, 07:21:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

She birthed the Taikos son for the old lady.
That's what I thought but I was confused by the "I made this" line. I'm up to speed now THX
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #3275 on: April 12, 2024, 08:37:16 PM »

The part that makes it feel not like a “white savior” narrative is that Blackthorne isn’t necessarily driving the action.  Sure, he taught a new cannon tactic, but that just felt like one aspect of the army, not their masterstroke.  He’s more of a cypher for western eyes to understand Japanese culture and customs at that time. 

Btw, anyone think Blackthorne/Cosmo Jarvis (what a name) would make a good Wolverine? 

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #3276 on: April 12, 2024, 09:24:04 PM »
@brycickle yeah good point about this being grounded in historical fact. I was cynically referring to the appeal for the western viewer of having a white character present in the story, but tbh this hasn't really bothered me.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3277 on: April 12, 2024, 09:41:55 PM »
@brycickle yeah good point about this being grounded in historical fact. I was cynically referring to the appeal for the western viewer of having a white character present in the story, but tbh this hasn't really bothered me.

I honestly think you could get away with telling this even without him.   He’s never been front and center in the advertising I see (but I always knew of the white person aspect having been shown the 80s NBC miniseries on substitute teacher days in elementary school).   

I’d highly recommend Blue-Eyed Samurai next for anyone.   The Blue Eyes do not indicate ethnicity so it’s not a white person story…as much as the main character in the Sympathizer is white

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #3278 on: April 14, 2024, 08:23:09 AM »
enjoying the fallout series so far. goofy and intense. I've played the fallout games so I was already familiar with the world but they've done a good job of bringing it to live action imo.

Seconding this, never played seriously. But the show is really good.
You definitely get more out of it if you are a fan with all the references but man, the game is good.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3279 on: April 14, 2024, 11:11:31 PM »
Funny to think about it as a companion piece to Oppenheimer since Jonathan Nolan directed the pilot and produced it with his wife

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #3280 on: April 15, 2024, 07:47:05 PM »
I love a good cult doc. This one may be the best yet.

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3281 on: April 15, 2024, 07:53:44 PM »

This one’s pretty good too…

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3282 on: April 15, 2024, 09:41:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This one’s pretty good too…

here's another. It's about the japanes sarin gas perpetrators, from an insider perspective. There's a newer one on the same subject, this one is 1998 and called "A".

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0241146/

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 53
« Reply #3283 on: April 16, 2024, 08:35:22 AM »
Idk how most of you feel about anime, but Netflix has added some gems as of late. Been binging Yu Yu Hakusho for a few weeks now and loving the nostalgia trip/action.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3284 on: April 16, 2024, 12:31:24 PM »
Wife and I watched when they see us, great mini series, I was in the wealthier areas of NYC when this happened.   My dad sheltered us away from sketchy places, but I didn't listen.

It's amazing how our justice system not only is flawed in every which way that its sickening. There's more and more case's similar to this beforehand and will be afterwards.
Dueces Bitch's

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #3285 on: April 16, 2024, 05:27:35 PM »
the Fallout series on Amazon was great
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3286 on: April 16, 2024, 08:16:25 PM »
Don’t be too sad when Shogun ends next week, FX heads.   Under the Bridge and The Veil both look promising

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3287 on: April 16, 2024, 08:19:27 PM »
the Fallout series on Amazon was great

Love knowing both Utah AND Namibia were used to double for LA

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #3288 on: April 17, 2024, 06:05:13 AM »
Already been covered it seems but I am loving Fallout as well. Have about an episode and a half left. Didn't know Christopher Nolan's brother was directing it, makes sense now.

The whole show is pretty great. From cinematography to writing. It's a really funny show that also has great plot points that have me hooked. And as someone who can't stand crappy CGI, the CGI in the show is really top notch. Great to see another good video game adaptation as I anxiously await the return of The Last of Us.

LeDave

• Rep: -14
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #3289 on: April 17, 2024, 06:48:24 AM »
Testament - The Story of Moses was a good one.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3290 on: April 17, 2024, 07:24:31 AM »
Already been covered it seems but I am loving Fallout as well. Have about an episode and a half left. Didn't know Christopher Nolan's brother was directing it, makes sense now.

The whole show is pretty great. From cinematography to writing. It's a really funny show that also has great plot points that have me hooked. And as someone who can't stand crappy CGI, the CGI in the show is really top notch. Great to see another good video game adaptation as I anxiously await the return of The Last of Us.

I think it’s much better than Last of Us bc LoU is so slavish to the source material that it just feels like a series of cutscene.   Fallout is truly a new tale and a clever adaptation of the source material thst it changes tonally.  Borderlands movie coming this Fall is shaking in its boots about the precedent set and that they won’t be able to skate by being a a guardians of the galaxy rip-off

I’m actually a little surprised Jonathan Nolan is handling the comedy so well.  Westworld and and that other Prime show he did are so serious and so full of “big” ideas that I’m surprised this show is allowed to be as weird as it is, but then I remember one of Christopher’s favorite movies is MacGruber, so I know that family has actual taste

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3291 on: April 17, 2024, 07:50:41 AM »
Baby Reindeer on netflix was really fucking good, caught me off guard how deep and introspective it ended up being at the very end.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3292 on: April 20, 2024, 11:42:11 PM »
Dunno if its on netflix, but after 3 episodes of Sugar, it is one of the worst shows in recent history. I find it very soothing somehow, bad shows with high but unimaginative production values and not too much violence do that for me.
Watch episode 3 for some remarkably vapid dialogue and lack of story or character development.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3293 on: April 22, 2024, 01:19:28 PM »
Baby Reindeer on netflix was really fucking good, caught me off guard how deep and introspective it ended up being at the very end.

Just realized halfway in that the lead looks a lot like Danny Brady

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3294 on: April 22, 2024, 01:21:08 PM »
Dunno if its on netflix, but after 3 episodes of Sugar, it is one of the worst shows in recent history. I find it very soothing somehow, bad shows with high but unimaginative production values and not too much violence do that for me.
Watch episode 3 for some remarkably vapid dialogue and lack of story or character development.

Yeeeah I’m starting to feel that way too.  If it wasn’t Colin Ferrell, don’t know if I’d keep tuning in, but I have to imagine he saw value in the broad story once it gets ticking

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #3295 on: April 24, 2024, 07:51:03 PM »
He’s baaa,ack…

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3296 on: April 24, 2024, 10:40:16 PM »
He’s baaa,ack…

Fred Armisen's Robert Durst in Kimmy Schmidt is forever etched in my mind. I've copied his "bye bye' for years.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3297 on: April 25, 2024, 12:18:11 AM »
The new 4chan documentary is worth watching. It gets some things wrong, but it is decent.

I'm surprised they skipped over Toaster Steve. That was an awful, but big moment.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3298 on: April 25, 2024, 01:44:06 AM »
Expand Quote
He’s baaa,ack…

[close]
Fred Armisen's Robert Durst in Kimmy Schmidt is forever etched in my mind. I've copied his "bye bye' for years.

I did a rewatch of S1 and I forgot he did Durst on SNL all the way back when he got off for chopping up the guy in Texas

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3299 on: April 25, 2024, 09:27:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He’s baaa,ack…

[close]
[close]

I did a rewatch of S1 and I forgot he did Durst on SNL all the way back when he got off for chopping up the guy in Texas
Oh I think I totally missed that. Thanks!