Author Topic: Introducing: Bitter Bushings (Cold Weather Skateboard Bushings)  (Read 13161 times)

Bitter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
Introducing: Bitter Bushings (Cold Weather Skateboard Bushings)
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:01:31 AM »
Introducing: Bitter Bushings (Cold Weather Skateboard Bushings)

Growing up in Canada, the separation of seasons has always been obvious. Certain activities are meant for certain times of the year. And skateboarding is one such activity. Shake off the rust in the spring, learn some new tricks in the summer, and relish the cool autumn days. Winter means video games, girlfriends, snowboarding and drinking. Yet in those cold winter months, the urge to skateboard remains, until eventually an underground garage is infiltrated, or a skatepark is shovelled. Yet despite our determination to skate, and an extra layer of clothing or two, the elements can?t be avoided. Leaving us to contend with wet griptape, road salt, and of course frozen bushings. Trying to turn and having the board go straight, tic-tacing everywhere, and damaged bushings and trucks are all related to frozen bushings caused by cold temperatures. After suffering through this for years, I started researching how to design bushings that would not freeze. Having consulted with engineers and tested numerous prototypes, I have successfully created Bitter Bushings, the first ever skateboard bushings designed for cold weather conditions. They look and skate like your normal bushings, but hold up to winter temperatures. Patent pending.

Available online at http://www.BitterBushings.com. Available soon at a skateshop near you.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter -
http://www.facebook.com/bitterbushings
http://www.twitter.com/bitterbushings

Learn more about Bitter Bushings in this introduction video -

Introducing... Bitter Bushings (Cold Weather Skateboard Bushings)

Thank you,
Clint McLean
Owner & Designer of Bitter Bushings
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:12:40 PM by Bitter »

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Introducing: Bitter Bushings (Cold Weather Skateboard Bushings)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:53:37 AM »
Nice work!  How do they skate in regular temperatures?  I'm interested in trying them, but I don't want to have to switch them in and out as temperatures change.

A.J.K.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »
Nice work!  How do they skate in regular temperatures?  I'm interested in trying them, but I don't want to have to switch them in and out as temperatures change.
From the site:  Can Bitter Bushings only be used in the winter?
No. Bitter Bushings can be used all year round. When warmer weather comes, Bitter Bushings will continue to skate the same. Tests show that they?ll even withstand extreme heat better than standard bushings.

I was prepared to write this off as another dumb thing, but these actually look pretty sick.

CNieratko

• Rep: 257
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:59:44 AM »
BUt they're Canadian...

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:08:34 AM »
it's a neat idea.
but i'm sticking to just loosen the nut when its cold
tricks are for kids , style is forever

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:51:24 AM »
Solid beard. 

It's a good idea (especially for Chicago), although it's going to be damn near impossible to get me off of the Bones Mediums I've been in love with for a decade.

Skate Edge

• Rep: -36
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:31:27 AM »
He said "aboot"!

That's actually a cool (no pun intended) idea, and I wish them the best of luck, and I'm grateful I live in an environment where I don't have to deal with that. 

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
Thanks for the support guys! Slap is the only board I actually post/lurk on daily, so it means a lot. I've gotten a bunch of orders already. Like AJK said, this isn't "another dumb thing", no holograms here. They will actually help you out in cold weather.

It's a good idea (especially for Chicago), although it's going to be damn near impossible to get me off of the Bones Mediums I've been in love with for a decade.

No doubt that Bones skate awesome in warm weather, but I find they stiffen in the cold.

A.J.K.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:37:57 PM »
What shops do you think will be carrying them in Toronto?

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:43:57 PM »
What would you compare them to as far as the softness goes? I rock bones mediums (like pretty much everyone else) do they have a similar feel? I just don't want anything too hard or soft. This sounds like a really sick product though!
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

ginzberg

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Rad idea.

NJ is not Toronto, but we can have brutal winters. I have many winter skateboard memories... shoveling and brooming entire parking lots just to get a trick in... wet grip tape, and... yes, broken trucks.

Got anything for smacking your hand on cold ground? :)

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 07:20:20 PM »
Not sure yet, this is literally the first day of the launch. But I'd love to work with great shops like Hammer, Blue Tile, Junction, etc. I might send them a couple sets to try out. What skateshop do you usually go to?

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 07:28:16 PM »
What would you compare them to as far as the softness goes? I rock bones mediums (like pretty much everyone else) do they have a similar feel? I just don't want anything too hard or soft. This sounds like a really sick product though!
Thanks man! They're somewhere between a soft and a medium bushing. I usually do comparisons between Bitter and Bones, because I love Bones like everyone else (except when they're frozen). I can step off a board with medium Bones, on to a board with Bitter Bushings, and it's easy to adjust.

A.J.K.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 12:25:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not sure yet, this is literally the first day of the launch. But I'd love to work with great shops like Hammer, Blue Tile, Junction, etc. I might send them a couple sets to try out. What skateshop do you usually go to?
Im actually not from the city, but when there I usually just go to Adrift.  All of those shops seem really tight though.

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 08:25:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do it man!  Hammer and BTL are your spots.  If it doesn't cost you too much, send the shops a few free sets for their owners/teams/homies to try out.  If they like the bushings I'm sure they'll push them.  If the product works the way you say it does; it's brilliant.

muk_mb

• Rep: -2
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »
Thanks man! They're somewhere between a soft and a medium bushing. I usually do comparisons between Bitter and Bones, because I love Bones like everyone else (except when they're frozen). I can step off a board with medium Bones, on to a board with Bitter Bushings, and it's easy to adjust.

I think it's awesome you aren't crazy and claiming everything sucks except your bushings. I showed my friends who will probably order some and I'll be ordering some soon as I can get back on a board again (I'm out with a fractured ankle, needed lots of metal, blah). Good work man!

DevMo!

• Rep: 2
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 12:15:20 PM »
That's a rad idea! Makes me feel spoiled for living in the Bay Area! haha.

Also, Sig'd  ;D

BUt they're Canadian...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:18:00 PM by DevMo! »

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 05:23:43 AM »
great idea. goes to show that the best innovative ideas for skateboarding come from real skateboarders.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys! I really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:23:11 AM by Bitter »

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »
just ordered a set.. i will put them through the paces.
i love bones.. so...
my question is. with bones that have the hard plastic on the edges. to i dont' use a bottom washer.
what about using the bitters with no bottom washer? i ride my trucks pretty loose. to with no bottom washer on bones. my nut is still above the of the king pin. do you recommend using a bottom washer? or will they hold up with out one? (btw skating thunder 149 hollow lights)

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 06:38:07 PM »
What is your background bitter? Are you a chemical engineer or something?

Reggie Nobles

• Rep: 84
  • oh no
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »
not too sure about this guy... i'd only buy canadian bushings if rawbertson was making them

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
Pretty sick idea, not that i'll ever use them since it doesn't get frozen when i skate outside
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 07:04:17 AM »
just ordered a set.. i will put them through the paces.
i love bones.. so...
my question is. with bones that have the hard plastic on the edges. to i dont' use a bottom washer.
what about using the bitters with no bottom washer? i ride my trucks pretty loose. to with no bottom washer on bones. my nut is still above the of the king pin. do you recommend using a bottom washer? or will they hold up with out one? (btw skating thunder 149 hollow lights)

Got the order! Thank you. They'll ship today.

I've been riding them with both top and bottom washers, but they will hold up without a bottom washer. It's really a matter of personal preference. Play around, see what feels best.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 07:13:07 AM »
What is your background bitter? Are you a chemical engineer or something?

My background isn't in chemical engineering, but I've been researching the subject over a number of years. I've designed and tested prototypes of numerous materials and hardnesses, working directly with experts in the field (yes, chemical engineers) until we concluded that this is the best alternative to traditional bushings.

JUSTICE BEAVER

• Rep: 6
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 09:48:33 AM »
Brilliant! Norwegian winters are not funny at all! 6 months with stiff trucks...
Keenan Forever

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 12:06:09 PM »
You should put Bobby Puleo on the team...

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 10:18:49 AM »
For the Canadian homies - Bitter Bushings is excited to announce our partnership with Ultimate Skateboard Distribution, Canada's largest skateboard distributor. In business for over 25 years, Ultimate distributes top brands including Toy Machine, SK8mafia, Think, and Powell. Bitter Bushings will now be available in skateshops across Canada. Please contact your local shop for availability.

fowlerclone

• Rep: -15
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 11:05:34 AM »
Great innovation. Living in Michigan puts me directly in line for buying some, which I will do after I get some christmas money.

best of luck to you

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »
For the Canadian homies - Bitter Bushings is excited to announce our partnership with Ultimate Skateboard Distribution, Canada's largest skateboard distributor. In business for over 25 years, Ultimate distributes top brands including Toy Machine, SK8mafia, Think, and Powell. Bitter Bushings will now be available in skateshops across Canada. Please contact your local shop for availability.

Damn those are good guys to link up with. Good work!