Author Topic: differences between bones stf and prize fighter?  (Read 2538 times)

bust.factor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
  • Madvillain Bistro Bed and Breakfast Bar and Grill
differences between bones stf and prize fighter?
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
I'm about due for a new set of wheels and really wanna try out a set of prize fighters but don't wanna sacrifice on the slide ability I get from stfs.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:26:40 PM by bust.factor »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: differences between bones stf and prize fighter?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:33:41 PM »
in my experience, pfcs don't slide as well as bones. it's not that they don't slide at all, but you have to apply more pressure for them to really slide. i like pfcs a lot because i find stfs to be too slippery. pfcs give me a much more controlled slide, they slide when i want them to but if stf-like slidability is what you are looking for, you should probably stick with those. i have yet to come up on a wheel that slides that easily, so i can't name you any alternatives.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:12:29 AM by Frank »

#1 Tic-Tacker

• Rep: -5
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:35:11 PM »
bones: loud, slippery, very hard, no flat-spots, little coning, durable

pfc: quieter, still slide great, lil softer imo, flat-spots, and coning, last less long

bones are just a different style wheel to me. pfc's are like spits and I feel like more people are used to skating that type of wheel. if you like to powerslides you'll have to rotate your wheel pretty soon after putting on your pfc's because the back two wheel will wear down a lot faster

solo

• Rep: -23
  • skateboarding
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:07:37 AM »
prizefighters don't powerslide as well.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 06:43:10 AM »
PFC: 101a or 81b
STF:  84b (A-scale doesn't accurately measure that hard)

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »
STF's are better, that's the difference
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

foureyedjim

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
there is no better/worse.
it's all in what you prefer

I never had an issue with the hardness of bones,  but I tried pfc's because they were vouched for, and they're cheap as fuck.
but ultimately, I went back to stf's because I tend to flatspot my wheel much more easily than some people
(my friend skates streetburners, and they're softer than both stfs and pfc's, yet does not get flatspots ever)

foureyedjim

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »
Been on PFCs for a few months now.  No going back.  No flatspots and they powerslide just fine.

Not everyone can expect the same results from powersliding their wheels

No matter if HATE doesn't get flatspot his pfc's, or if I do with mine, it depends on how you skate.
Like I said, you can even skate a softer wheel and not get flatspots. 
The reason why I (think) I get flatspots is because I slip out on powerslides and I guess it causes flatspots or something

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
^
this is true. i managed to flatspot my last set of stfs. then i rode spitfire cheapshots which are 98a i think. i tend to do a lot of powerslides and the cheapshots coned out, but didn't flatspot. i think you can flatspot any wheel through powersliding to a halt. lazy reverts are also dangerous. i still don't know at what point or why my stfs flatspotted though. my pfcs have been fine so far, no coning or anything, they look fairly new although i already took em through a lot of skating for their short time on my setup.

Randozzi

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »
slow slides are the culprit of most flatspots in my experience.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »
also, you know. there is the backing the small company with good riders over the world.. who if they sold more wheels might be able to even pay people? or bones. that are gonna sell no matter what. expensive... and imo don't *feel* like urethane. (more like just hard plastic)

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »
I love the feel of Pfc and f1 spits... STFs have their place, just not during speedy carves

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been on PFCs for a few months now.  No going back.  No flatspots and they powerslide just fine.
[close]

Not everyone can expect the same results from powersliding their wheels

No matter if HATE doesn't get flatspot his pfc's, or if I do with mine, it depends on how you skate.
Like I said, you can even skate a softer wheel and not get flatspots. 
The reason why I (think) I get flatspots is because I slip out on powerslides and I guess it causes flatspots or something
[close]

Oh yeah, it totally depends on how you slide.  Unless they're shitty wheels.  I dug Street Burners, but I've flatspots Spits on a small slide on a fucking 180.

Same here, but I did love the bark that those fuckers had. Probably the loudest wheels I've ever had. But because I much rather slide than be deaf with loud wheels, I've been skating OJ's and I've never looked back. They slide fucking perfect and don't flatspot. Very small coning though but that's after some looooonnnnnggg powerslides...like "Cardiel tent city hill bomb" long.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 06:47:14 AM »
Same here, but I did love the bark that those fuckers had. Probably the loudest wheels I've ever had. But because I much rather slide than be deaf with loud wheels, I've been skating OJ's and I've never looked back. They slide fucking perfect and don't flatspot. Very small coning though but that's after some looooonnnnnggg powerslides...like "Cardiel tent city hill bomb" long.
c'mon man. i enjoy hyperbole just as much as the next guy, but don't claim that as your rationale

edit: the louder the better imo... it might be because its my last name
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:50:34 AM by Firebert »

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 09:29:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
c'mon man. i enjoy hyperbole just as much as the next guy, but don't claim that as your rationale

edit: the louder the better imo... it might be because its my last name
True but I do enjoy a nice long power slide.  :)
edit: not really helping my case though.  ;D