Author Topic: 2011/2012  (Read 1088 times)

Harem

2011/2012
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:21:58 AM »
So the year has almost come to an end. Did you have a good 2011?

Did you have goals leading in 2011 that you achieved?

Personally it's the best year I've had in ages. I had a few goals leading into the year. Basically become a lot more organised and become more out going. In years gone by I've been a pretty lazy student, leaving everything to the last minute, handing things in late, making excuses as to why I hadn't handed my assignment in, really not pulling my weight in group assignments. Didn't hand in anything late, didn't make any excuses and I was the dude who would e-mail everyone ask where the part of the assignment was. Pretty much the difference was from this year and the last few was just being organised and time management, doing the little things correctly can make a huge difference. A lot more out going was easy. Went to a lot of shows/sporting events, that I would not have even thought about twice in the past. Having shows to look forward through out the year is nice. Other then that, I've had a pretty good year. Drama free years are the best. Also psyched I managed to hold down a job for the whole of the year. Can't imagine ever not having a job again.

As for 2012, basically want to continue on from 2011, but a lot more streamlined. Already have big plans for 2012, can't wait to manifest all ideas. I plan to skate more. Sadly I skated about 15-20 times this year. Being 7 days a week didn't really help. But I have the desire now, I've become totally skate obsessed again and can't wait to go skating more frequently and progress. Also ready need to get my sleeping patterns fixed. They have been fucked for a few years now. Every time I go to bed before 11pm, I'll wake up at 1-2 in the am and am never able to go back to sleep until at least 4. I need to read a lot more. I didn't finnish one book this year out of 10 or so I started, pretty fucking bummed about that. Other then that, I think I'm set to have another good year!

Ok, so this thread is pretty awful, but whatever  :P

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: 2011/2012
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »
Haha fine, I'll play since I'm bored...

It's been interesting, but the scales tip on the side of a slightly shitty, mainly trasitional year.

+Spent a lot of money on cool shit (iMac, Bose Headphones, Pillowtop Bed, Furniture, iPhone 4s)
+Went on an amazing drinking, gambling, and skating trip with 2 cars full of homeys
+Went to Puerto Vallarta
+Two fun weddings
+Finally saw the Black Lips and got sloppy drunk and had some great stories
+Parents bought a condo in downtown Chicago
+PB to IMac to PS3 to TV = fucking awesome
+Discovered NPR, which has had a huge impact on my life and really helped me wake up intellectually/care more about what the fuck is going on out there

+/-Moved into an apartment with a homey, complex is kind of ghetto but real cheap. Town blows
+/-While I have plenty of time to do whatever the fuck I want and get a decent check, my job is pretty unsatisfying and the town is lame
+/-Thought I had a free (besides $95 anual fee) flight to Europe through my new credit card then they changed the rules to not cover taxes and fees in this "free" flight which makes it nearly $600.

-Injured my leg while drunk.  Couldn't skate for the majority of summer and had to go to physical therapy (still not 100%)
-Couple other drunken injuries/general poor health
-Not a lot of play...mainly the same slag...and some pretty shitty things happened between us
-Favorite sports teams suck (boohoo)
-Some idiot totaled my car, ended up paying 4 grand out of pocket
-Woke up hungover too fucking much
-Kind of having the whole Anthony Pappalardo to Brian Wenning moment with some of my friends

2012 goals:
Drink less and smoke less without becoming a boring asshole, Read a lot of books, Travel Europe again (probably Spain), Get a new job abroad, somewhere cool, or with A LOT of travel; Meet more bitches, Spend less money

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:20:18 PM »
- Didn't save enough money.
- Had to get a new laptop.
- Couldn't find a different job.

on the positive side

- Besides having bronchitis for a couple of weeks I had a pretty healthy year and I hope the next is even better.
- Went to Rio de Janeiro, skated 2 different skateparks there, yes brazilias are gnarly.
- I'm doing good at my current job.

this is what sticks to me the most at the moment. My main goals for next year are, saving some more because this december I just blew a lot of money I wasn't supposed to, same with the new laptop that wasn't supposed to die on me. Getting a different job and going back to school for a masters degree.

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »
2012:

Finally finish up this video part.
Going camping for a week during the summer on the Outer Banks with my friend, hitting up all the concrete skate parks and working our way down to Carolina Beach. Hopefully get a hold of some reps and get some free shit.
Finally going to finish off paying my truck, then I don't know what.
Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »
Began going to a new school after years of fucking around.
A decade of depression and anxiety started to ease up about a half a year ago.
Pretty much lost my ability to skate about 4 or 5 months ago due to a bad case of continuously increasing nerve pain from and older injury. Hoping a surgery in january will ease the pain a little, but I am finally starting to accept I might be done with skating and that there is a life outside of it.

All in all not a bad year. The bad parts felt absolutely devastating but the good ones were fantastic. Lots of changes.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:58:17 PM by Bronson »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:56:25 PM »
+moved out to a super nice place with an amazing view of the beach.
+skated a lot, and in the past couple months actually progressed for the first time in years.
+some amazing road trips/giant family all inclusive cruise to mexico in may.

+/-finally learned to drive standard.now I have to drive all the shitty old standard trucks at work.

+/-went back to school after 8 years, really liked most my classes/learned a ton. Barely passed(and might have failed my favorite) some of these courses, even though I studied extensively/did all the homework.

+/-got a promotion and decent raise, but failed/hated new job and now feel guilty daily as I slowly regress to my former duties with new pay.

-girl dumped me as I was thinking about taking the next step in the relationship.

-dad got cancer, same as his dad.both in remission but still...

-lost touch with my two remaining friends

Boo hoo for me. It sucks but those negatives far outweigh any positives, one of the worst years of my life for sure.

2012 I don't know, keep skating and either get my girl back or move away permanently.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »
skate more
get a job i enjoy more, or move

S.E.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:46:11 AM »
Save more money, and the money I do spend, should be spent wisely. 

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »
2011: Overall this has been one of the most unproductive years.
Positives - Almost done with school
Negatives - girl left me, no job

2012 should be better. Got 2 jobs, haven't decided which one yet. Taking 3 bullshit classes to graduate. Start grad school. Maybe travel depending on my hours at work. After I graduate a better job might be available although I have low hope for it.

BuddyPal

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:28:32 AM »
+learned to be more outgoing
+got my first job back in march
+got my license
+tried to be healthier by going jogging and working out

-didnt skate as much as i wanted to

2012:
hopefully i will have saved enough money by feb. to put a downpayment on my first car
if i get into the school i applied to, i will be going to college in the fall
skate

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »
2011 was the single best and worst year of my life.

bad: started the year with two weeks in the hospital at 110 pounds, had my colon removed in march, ileostomy for 8 months, and other surgeries in July and November.  Probably spent a total of 2 whole months in the hospital over the course of the year.

good: released my first album on a proper label, record release/music festival in NYC, tour of the entire country in Sept/Oct, my surgeries were successful, so I am finally free of the bondage that was my disease over the last 6 years; able to finally skate a little bit.

2012 I hope to accumulate enough music equipment to record and produce my band's next album, go on at least one more tour, start working a full time job again after six years of illness, and just relearn to appreciate a normal life again.

feeling pretty optimistic and ambitious
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

GarglesCmen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • Hey, Nice Ass
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »
It was good since I got my life in check but at the same time, I was really slacking school-wise, im retaking 2 courses come next year. Also, I am bummed because im sure I fucked up my meniscus. I think next year will be the best year.

HOUSTON, TEXAS!