Author Topic: Ankle banta  (Read 511 times)

Mansymbols

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Ankle banta
« on: January 18, 2023, 11:44:10 AM »
Hello,

Don't know if this belongs in whatever or here,
But basically typing this from AnE and just been told my ankle is completely fucked, dislocated break.
Will be surgery and screws

Was probably the stupidest slam

Anyway was wondering who has experienced something similar and has general rehab advice.
How long/difficult was it to get back into skating and general manoeuvrability.
Its my left foot, regular stance.

This message probably reads like I'm voice typing some bolox into webMD,

Anyway, thanks in advance

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
Re: Ankle banta
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 12:12:29 PM »
A really good friend went through the process 7 years ago and since then he recovered no problem, havent break anything  and got way better than before.
A year and a half after the incident we were both jumpin that Adidas "boost the bar" bump to rail, he did an amazing fs bigspin and I did a kickflip. The obstacle in our country felt big and he didn't had problems with his feet.

I hope the best for you
Patience and do your exercises

Mansymbols

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 12:17:26 PM »
Ah man, cheers, that sounds pretty positive.
I was almost thinking it was going to game over.
I wonder if the mental aspect of not working and not being active will drive me crazy

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 12:18:18 PM »
My homie fucked his shit up similarly like 7 years ago and got like screws and shit. If i recall correctly, he was back on the board after like a year. I'm not sure how much it affects his skating but we just just had a sesh a week ago and he was killing it.

IpathCats

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 12:20:43 PM »

thebacker

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 12:21:25 PM »
Take physical therapy very seriously and continue the exercises after you are “done” PT.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 12:29:53 PM »
Take physical therapy very seriously and continue the exercises after you are “done” PT.

This, and don't slack on icing. Use a balancing board for maintaining the strength of your ankle. I recommend using this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All-Wooden-Wobble-Balance-Board/dp/B00WJJJX2Q?th=1

I use this to warm my ankles up before each sesh. Also good for core strength.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 01:18:23 PM »
A local guy broke his ankle, plus torn all ligaments on it really bad last year. Completely dislocated it.. It took him around a year to get back on his board. He's pretty young, maybe 22. Wish you the best!
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 01:30:22 PM »
I had lisfranc surgery but the PT process is still the same. Like the others said, PT is very important, use whatever bands or equipment they give you after you're done for the next few months and hold off on doing any tricks for at least 4-5 months after your PT is over. The pressure on your ankle and foot is gonna be a bear when you first step back on the board.

Expand Quote
[close]

This, and don't slack on icing. Use a balancing board for maintaining the strength of your ankle. I recommend using this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All-Wooden-Wobble-Balance-Board/dp/B00WJJJX2Q?th=1

I use this to warm my ankles up before each sesh. Also good for core strength.

Yes, the balance boards are great. I used one during PT and it helped build my flexibility and ankle strength back up. Plus my leg to ankle coordination.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 01:34:03 PM »
Feel better, man.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

iamarodent

• Rep: 2
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 01:43:08 PM »
Went through the exact same thing about eight years ago man.

The next few days will be an emotional morphine fuelled mess. Surgery will be fine, the recovery will be difficult. Expect a lot of swelling and soreness. If you have anyone around you who can help you getting around the house and make you the odd meal they will be a life saver over the next week or so.

In terms of recovery, I was told I likely wouldn’t run let alone skate again. Maybe a year post surgery I started skating again, and two years I was pretty much back to normal. Now, all these years on I’d never know, honestly doesn’t make a difference to my everyday skating.

You’ve got to be patient and do your pt. And trust, first steps back on the board are amazing.

Best of luck healing up

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 01:47:40 PM »
Not sure your age, but smoking and drinking are really bad for the healing process as you get older, good time to ditch those if you partake.  Obviously eating right as well plenty of water.  I agree with the PT thing but I didn’t see anyone mentioning the health ones.  Your body needs good stuff as it rebuilds, not extra hurdles.

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 6
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 02:16:04 PM »
cycle

Mansymbols

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 02:38:07 PM »
Damn thanks so much guys!
Yeah they just put me in a K hole while they wiggled my foot back into place (I had tried to put in back myself but it all went to shit in the cab to hospital)

Felt pretty mental, perhaps was a forced personal reset, had been stressing about things prior to this and immediately after fucking my ankle just thought what is the point in being a stress head and I should just be grateful.

In the past I've been quite impatient and stubborn with things like healing processes so will make sure not to go into old habits.

I'm going to read and take on board all the suggestions, thanks so much, might get a book list together too

Surgery is at another date

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 02:39:20 PM »
Absolutely prioritize the physical therapy. That shit works wonders if you work at it. Getting the range of motion back is super important not only for skating but for your every day life. It might seem insurmountable at first but you will get there one little baby step at a time.