Author Topic: Drinking Problems  (Read 9803 times)

David

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Drinking Problems
« on: January 31, 2012, 09:59:25 PM »
Someone I know has confessed to me about a drinking problem. Dependency is serious and I know how it can fuck with someone's life but honestly have no clue what to say or do about this. Drinking can be fun but when you start having the delerium tremens and are puking blood then maybe it really is a problem.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:02:22 PM by David »

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
Re: Drinking Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:14:05 PM »
so how am i supposed to respond in this thread? are you asking for advice or do you want our onions on alcohol abuse in general?

i confused

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »
Opinions and/or advice

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »
so how am i supposed to respond in this thread? are you asking for advice or do you want our onions on alcohol abuse in general?

i confused
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:27:43 PM »
Someone I know has confessed to me about a drinking problem. Dependency is serious and I know how it can fuck with someone's life but honestly have no clue what to say or do about this. Drinking can be fun but when you start having the delerium tremens and are puking blood then maybe it really is a problem.
I think it is pretty clear in this case of what to do. Rehab and sobriety. People that get to this point should not drink anymore as they will never again be able to control the amount they drink.

edit: And let me just say, I have been there. My dad was quite the alcoholic/pill addict late in his life. He passed due to an unrelated issue but I had to police his drinking. He would hide bottles from me and I would throw them away. Lucky for me he couldn't drive at this point or leave the house on his own so it was hard for him to get alcohol sometimes. Asshole neighbors would buy it for him though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:32:03 PM by happenstance »

loggedinLurker

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »
I have a friend who is an alcoholic and i don't know what to do, too. I mean i didn't know what to do for years now, i guess he's been on for seven years, had three or four therapies but that shit is crazy. I wouldn't drink with him or meet him when he was drunk, but that didn't matter because he had no problems being drunk alone or make a bunch of bum friends on the streets to drink with.

The problem really is, that he has other problems in his life and hasn't found a way to deal with when sober.

edit: What happenstance said is the way to go, rehab and sobriety as soon as possible and hope for the best.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:56:14 PM by loggedinLurker »

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think it is pretty clear in this case of what to do. Rehab and sobriety. People that get to this point should not drink anymore as they will never again be able to control the amount they drink.

edit: And let me just say, I have been there. My dad was quite the alcoholic/pill addict late in his life. He passed due to an unrelated issue but I had to police his drinking. He would hide bottles from me and I would throw them away. Lucky for me he couldn't drive at this point or leave the house on his own so it was hard for him to get alcohol sometimes. Asshole neighbors would buy it for him though.

this

you're friend needs rehab and treatment before it's too late. this will be the hard part, especially if he refuses to go and is stubborn, but try to get your friend some professional help.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:15:30 PM »
how much drinking does it take for you guys to consider it a problem?

i drink like 4/7 days of the week... if not more.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:33:35 PM »

Well like how intense drinking is it? I mean if it's like getting black out 4 days a week or it's really consuming your everyday life, I would think it's getting on the serious side. If it's manageable drinking like a few beers when you get home from work, I don't see the harm in it.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Well like how intense drinking is it? I mean if it's like getting black out 4 days a week or it's really consuming your everyday life, I would think it's getting on the serious side. If it's manageable drinking like a few beers when you get home from work, I don't see the harm in it.
I would also ad that you should examine your motivations and feelings related to your drinking. Ask yourself if you drink because you enjoy it, to let off a little steam or is it a more serious underlying issue of life you are trying to numb? Supposing you are not drinking too much, the first is not a problem as is the second (though I think it is important to develop stress releasers that do not involve substances). The latter is obviously the concerning one. In that case you need to not only work on your drinking but also that issue. Maybe this is almost self-evident, but sometimes our minds hide the most obvious information from us and it is useful to really reflect on your motivations.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:40:17 PM by happenstance »

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 11:40:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

im talking 8+ (canadian) beers... takes a bit to get me blackout drunk.

lately i have been drinking cause i am stressed over shit... perhaps thats a sign its a problem.

i am gonna take it easy for a few days. didnt drink tonight!

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

lately i have been drinking cause i am stressed over shit... perhaps thats a sign its a problem.

Well I'd probably listen to happenstance then.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 11:50:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Well I'd probably listen to happenstance then.

duly noted

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 11:58:05 PM »
And for pete's sake don't take tylenol when you're a heavy drinker. Your fucking liver is already struggling with your booze. The added strain of tylenol or acetaminophen/paracetamol will destroy your liver even faster.

Excerpt from wikipedia:
While generally safe for use at recommended doses (1,000 mg per single dose and up to 4,000 mg per day for adults),[6] acute overdoses of paracetamol can cause potentially fatal liver damage and, in rare individuals, a normal dose can do the same; the risk is heightened by alcohol consumption. Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world, and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 04:57:37 AM »
Lately I have not been bothered to drink at all, just total lost of interest for the last couple of months. Cant get myself to drink! It is starting to become a real problem.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 05:06:54 AM »
dr drew says over 14 drinks a week, is alcoholism (everyone is an acolholic)
we all have seen alcohol effect people in our lives, in some wy, short term, or long term, it can be fun, but many people can start to repress issues sub consiously through partying (drinking alone watching jeporady)

be aware of what you are doing, if its effecting your work, skating, friends or family, its probably a problem, be honest with yourself.

i have a few drunks in my blood line, i still drink, but try and be as self aware as possible. nobody is perfect.

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 05:40:02 AM »
I used to have serious problems with alcohol for years.
It affected my personal life as well as my buisnesslife.
People around me stopped hanging out with me, the people who really cared about me forced me to join AA.
that was nothing for me tho, i stopped drinking for a while and moved away to the US where it escalated into drinking almost 24/7.
It really started to affect my body, i started to cough and trow up blood and it affected my balance in a way that i couldnt skate at all, i used to be pretty decent at it.

I met a girl and we moved back to where i come from and i stopped drinking, im now married with a awesome son and a cool job.
I drink on occations, but they are very rarely and i hardly ever get shitfaced anymore.

So if you are a real friend and if you care about your friend, help him out, take him to a AA meeting, maybe he likes it, or sign him up for rehab.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »
being a real friend is tough, and telling sombody they have a problem is even tougher, imagine your friend told you that you ahve a problem and you need to change your life?would you be insulted or defensive?

Jejenhausen

• Rep: -72
  • This is good news
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »
On another note, Delerium Tremens is a might fine beer

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 09:58:25 AM »
real talk.
good on your HATE.

Useful Idiot

• Rep: 24
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »
I drink out of boredom mostly.
You loves you? Megatron.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »
when you are drinking to escape your own thoughts and fears, you might ahve a problem.

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »
when you are drinking to escape your own thoughts and fears, you might ahve a problem.
Exactly, thats what i did and some of my friends gave me a realitycheck and that really helped me out.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »
what a downer of a thread.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »
When I came back from Iraq, I drank 5-7 days a week and literally sweat whiskey.  I was a high functioning alcoholic, I never puked, was steadily wasted and never missed a day of work.  I ran 20 miles a week and in the summer, you could smell the whiskey on my skin.  At the end of 2009 I was a fucking hurricane, I fought five bouncers outside an Eyehategod show, and the night I met my wife, I passed out in her open apartment door in the middle of a blizzard.  She told me to get my shit together or get the fuck out.  I quit drinking for about a month and got my shit together.  Now I drink on the weekends or I have the occasional beer or glass of wine after work or with a meal, but I don't get wasted.  I just had to get that shit out of my system and be a wreck.  Once I felt it was done, it was done.

dude, eyehategod are so sick.

awesome story, though, for real.

jackherer

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
drinking is the most over rated shit ever. if you get drunk more than twice a week, you seriously need to get a life. like why not spend the night reading a good book or something instead of wasting a bunch of money and feeling like shit all the time. i find that most people that drink all the time just have no game and feel like they cant get girls without it. or are just pussies about life in general.

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »
College man....

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 12:21:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this is a scary way to come at them.

if he seems to be doing really bad, then id say thats the proper course of action. If you feel like he's slipping into it gradually, thats pretty intimidating. i know it all depends on someone's personality, but if you say im never drinking again, it can seem more overwhelming and youre more likely to give up. If you set a goal, like not drinking on weekdays and achieve it, you gain confidence in your self control.

i guess it all really depends on your friends personality, but i find reducing habits way easier than quitting them cold turkey
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:42:10 PM by Zurg »

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
drinking is the most over rated shit ever. if you get drunk more than twice a week, you seriously need to get a life. like why not spend the night reading a good book or something instead of wasting a bunch of money and feeling like shit all the time. i find that most people that drink all the time just have no game and feel like they cant get girls without it. or are just pussies about life in general.

well, my job is being a DJ, so free drinks and a club atmosphere are usually part of it.

as for having no game? dont generalize everyone that drinks, boss. just cause the people in your life that drink cant get laid, doesnt mean everyone that drinks has no game. matter fact i hardly ever hit on girls drunk but have no trouble getting laid when i'm sober.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 12:32:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

speaking as some one on the cusp of having a drinking problem, this is a scary way to come at them.

if he seems to be doing really bad, then id say thats the proper course of action. If you feel like he's slipping into it gradually, thats pretty intimidating. i know it all depends on someone's personality, but if you say im never drinking again, it can seem more overwhelming and youre more likely to give up. If you set a goal, like not drinking on weekdays and achieve it, you gain confidence in your self control.

i guess it all really depends on your friends personality, but i find reducing habits way easier than quitting them cold turkey
If someone is puking blood, I am not sure setting a goal of only drinking on weekends is a healthy option. I understand where you are coming from though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:39:56 PM by happenstance »