Author Topic: Paying For Skate Spots?  (Read 10402 times)

sprayTAN101

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • thats a sweet tan bro.
Re: Paying For Skate Spots?
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 02:02:10 AM »
relax, its in CA. i've heard people dont look for spots out there anyway.

"lifestyle scorpion dude..."

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 06:13:56 AM »
If you're paying for spots then you deserve to have your money snatched.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

PilotRyan

• Rep: 0
  • SkateSpotsCA.com
    • SkateSpotsCA.com avatar image
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:42 AM »

But you have the time to lurk slap for posts that involve you in them?
[/quote]
Ughhh...yeah. Driving around takes a lot of time, typing in skatespotsca in google took about 2 seconds. ? Thats really what you meant?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:29:19 AM by PilotRyan »
The skate spot site that actually works, really
SkateSpotsCA.com

PilotRyan

• SkateSpotsCA.com
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 07:52:22 AM »
Another thing, the title of the post is "paying for skate spots." If the person posting this really wanted to get an unbiased opinion of what people thought about SkateSpotsCA, then they should have put up something like "skate spot websites." Of course when you ask a question in a negative way, people will respond negatively. I know that's what you wanted, but you're just listing to what you want to hear. All this seems like a big waste of time, but THANKS FOR THE PROMOTION. Since you've posted this, I've gotten so many new spots sent in. Thanks :-)
SkateSpotsCA.com

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
Does he offer insurance in case you get kicked out or don't land your trick?  Is there an age limit?  Because money is being exchanged do you have to wear a helmet or sign a waiver?  Does payment include transportation...   

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 08:22:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Well now that everyone has gotten what they have wanted to say off their chest...
Personally this website was created for myself. It was a way for people to see the spots I knew about and then they could send in some of their own spots to get my spots. I have a very tight schedule and cant afford to drive around looking for spots, so why not just have the spots come to me? After seeing how much everyone enjoyed what I was doing, despite the people who are against it, I got more involved in creating skatespotsca.com. A lot of people like what I am doing and a few people dont. Im sorry but majority rules here.
As for selling the spots, I dont. Everyone has spots, and if you dont want to share yours then donate to the site so I can keep it running, so you can still get spots. Honestly I dont get a dime. In fact I just paid a large sum of money to build a better site, so any donations will go right back to the site for a long time.
In the end, you can hate it all you like, but ultimately its what skateboarding needs. I know you're thinking this will destroy skateboarding. I highly doubt that people being more excited about skating because they have some many awesome spots to skate is going to do anything except keep skateboarding growing. Hate on it all you like, but remember when you spend all day looking for a spot and find nothing that there is a solution.
[close]

Tight schedule? What are you doogie howser? You have time to build and run a site, but you can't go find your own spots. Your entire plan is transparent. Skateboarding doesn't need this. Skateboarding needs to have people gang up and go search for spots, thats half the fun.

Yeah, that 'tight schedule' shit made me laugh.  "I don't have all day to be looking at stuff with my eyes!"

If you don't have time to find spots, where do you find the time to skate and 'film'?  Whens your full-length drop brooooooo? 

If you knew dick about skating, this idea would be a glaring red flag.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »
If you use photogs work with out pay you are a fucking theif.
Stupid idea. Go to the skate shop and ask. If you arent a total kook someone might just tell you where you need to go.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »
psssh, like i have time to find spots, i have spot finding website to build!

PilotRyan

• SkateSpotsCA.com
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 08:40:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well now that everyone has gotten what they have wanted to say off their chest...
Personally this website was created for myself. It was a way for people to see the spots I knew about and then they could send in some of their own spots to get my spots. I have a very tight schedule and cant afford to drive around looking for spots, so why not just have the spots come to me? After seeing how much everyone enjoyed what I was doing, despite the people who are against it, I got more involved in creating skatespotsca.com. A lot of people like what I am doing and a few people dont. Im sorry but majority rules here.
As for selling the spots, I dont. Everyone has spots, and if you dont want to share yours then donate to the site so I can keep it running, so you can still get spots. Honestly I dont get a dime. In fact I just paid a large sum of money to build a better site, so any donations will go right back to the site for a long time.
In the end, you can hate it all you like, but ultimately its what skateboarding needs. I know you're thinking this will destroy skateboarding. I highly doubt that people being more excited about skating because they have some many awesome spots to skate is going to do anything except keep skateboarding growing. Hate on it all you like, but remember when you spend all day looking for a spot and find nothing that there is a solution.
[close]

Tight schedule? What are you doogie howser? You have time to build and run a site, but you can't go find your own spots. Your entire plan is transparent. Skateboarding doesn't need this. Skateboarding needs to have people gang up and go search for spots, thats half the fun.
[close]

Yeah, that 'tight schedule' shit made me laugh.  "I don't have all day to be looking at stuff with my eyes!"

If you don't have time to find spots, where do you find the time to skate and 'film'?  Whens your full-length drop brooooooo? 

If you knew dick about skating, this idea would be a glaring red flag.

Do you think before you speak? Either you dont, which makes you say some dumb stuff, or you do think about it, and dont even realize how dumb some of the stuff you say is. I dont even know where to start with you.
You totally misunderstood everything I wrote regarding the tight schedule and why I made the site.
Next, I built the site so that I could easily have spots sent to me so that I could have more time skating these spots rather than looking around for them. You really didnt understand any of that? Wow
And the red flag thing, its your own personal opinion that skate spot websites are a bad idea. So yeah red flag to you, but not to the 6,000 visitors that enjoy the service Im providing them.
SkateSpotsCA.com

PilotRyan

• SkateSpotsCA.com
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41:49 AM »
Stupid idea. Go to the skate shop and ask. If you arent a total kook someone might just tell you where you need to go.
Once again I would rather have over 10 new spots sent in a day to skate without ever leaving my house.
SkateSpotsCA.com

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Once again I would rather have over 10 new spots sent in a day to skate without ever leaving my house.

wait what
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

johnnymousedoom

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2012, 10:29:39 AM »
the way i see this website it is a website for robo-kids to go and land their tricks without ever learning how to skate in the street. wavin' in and out of cars, avoiding buses and shit.  This is a good site for people who just want to drop hammers and bangers. I wouldn't go as far as destroying skateboarding since people will still skateboard with or without the website.

skateohio

• Rep: 18
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »
this is why people get bored with the west coast

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 07:23:43 PM »
give that shit away for free. http://charlotteskate.com/spot-map/

Jack Wong

• Rep: 4
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »
I make hip hop with old records, and have been doing that for a lot longer than I've been skating.  Part of what made me pick up a board seriously is that I figured you could scope out streets like you scoped out records, looking for that little spot you could skate just like you would look for a certain drum hit on a record to use in a song. 

Spothunting is an amazing hobby and took me all over the bay area.  I had a fat map on google earth with a shitload of spots, and I'd let other skaters in on it whenever they wanted.  For a while it was less about the actual act of skateboarding than just driving around jumping into schoolyards and that kind of shit.  Of course, computer crashed and I started going to school again, but that was a great few years.

Anyway, some people aren't hunters, and just want to skate perfect spots - that's cool, I guess, if dropping hammers is your job.  But to me skateboarding is not about driving to and skating that one handrail until you have a banger - it's about pushing through the fucking city and exploring.  The best time I've ever had skating was in Shenzhen, China, lost in the middle of an acid rainstorm skating wack spots that never would have made it on skatespotsCA.  There's nothing like being in a new city and finding shit.

Bottom line, don't ruin spothunting - the surprises of the streets are some of the best parts of skating.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 02:13:57 AM »
I hate this idea until I'm the one cashing in on it.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

Jack Klompis

• Rep: 53
  • you want the pen??
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
I make hip hop with old records, and have been doing that for a lot longer than I've been skating.  Part of what made me pick up a board seriously is that I figured you could scope out streets like you scoped out records, looking for that little spot you could skate just like you would look for a certain drum hit on a record to use in a song. 

Spothunting is an amazing hobby and took me all over the bay area.  I had a fat map on google earth with a shitload of spots, and I'd let other skaters in on it whenever they wanted.  For a while it was less about the actual act of skateboarding than just driving around jumping into schoolyards and that kind of shit.  Of course, computer crashed and I started going to school again, but that was a great few years.

Anyway, some people aren't hunters, and just want to skate perfect spots - that's cool, I guess, if dropping hammers is your job.  But to me skateboarding is not about driving to and skating that one handrail until you have a banger - it's about pushing through the fucking city and exploring.  The best time I've ever had skating was in Shenzhen, China, lost in the middle of an acid rainstorm skating wack spots that never would have made it on skatespotsCA.  There's nothing like being in a new city and finding shit.

Bottom line, don't ruin spothunting - the surprises of the streets are some of the best parts of skating.

you left out the obligatory comparison to e diggers reflippin used samples and gettin mad that SOME people don't respect them cause they don't go to the record stores and work to find their own sounds instead of downloadin all the dope groove albums that they find on those funk/groove blogs

devils advocate argument: how do you know they didn't find the spots/records themselves and work for it?? can you always tell the difference from just experiencing the finished product?? if you can't tell the difference, does it matter??

personally i'll use the internet to find out about dope records and spots (and especially dope record spots!! hahaha), its an awesome resource, but the real fun comes from puttin in the work and doing it yourself, new sounds/spots i find without meaning to find them is the tops, for me at least, if somebody wants to circumvent that, sweet, more for me out in the field, but this verges on over the top in my eyes, similar to sites like whosampled, cause you get that user input, and so what could be a fresh new spot could be blown up quick cause some local kid who lives close enough to the spot to recognize it posts it up

its not that i don't think this information should be shared, but when its on the web its like its etched in stone for eternity, anybody can now search and find that information easily, i don't mind sharing spots and sounds with somebody who expresses genuine interest in it to me in person, but its just different on the internet
look who's eating dinner at 6 o'clock

BIGSTOOPS

• Rep: -6
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
relax, its in CA. i've heard people dont look for spots out there anyway.

you heard wrong dummy. i can barely make rent, so hell no, i ain't paying for a skatespot you fucking nazis. the only way i'm gonna pay for a skate spots is buying bags of cement to make one. 

Jack Wong

• Rep: 4
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 06:09:30 PM »
Cool to see another digger that skates, or skater that digs.

you left out the obligatory comparison to e diggers reflippin used samples and gettin mad that SOME people don't respect them cause they don't go to the record stores and work to find their own sounds instead of downloadin all the dope groove albums that they find on those funk/groove blogs

devils advocate argument: how do you know they didn't find the spots/records themselves and work for it?? can you always tell the difference from just experiencing the finished product?? if you can't tell the difference, does it matter??

personally i'll use the internet to find out about dope records and spots (and especially dope record spots!! hahaha), its an awesome resource, but the real fun comes from puttin in the work and doing it yourself, new sounds/spots i find without meaning to find them is the tops, for me at least, if somebody wants to circumvent that, sweet, more for me out in the field, but this verges on over the top in my eyes, similar to sites like whosampled, cause you get that user input, and so what could be a fresh new spot could be blown up quick cause some local kid who lives close enough to the spot to recognize it posts it up

its not that i don't think this information should be shared, but when its on the web its like its etched in stone for eternity, anybody can now search and find that information easily, i don't mind sharing spots and sounds with somebody who expresses genuine interest in it to me in person, but its just different on the internet

Totally, I agree with the majority of what you're saying.  I think, with e digging and going to spots that are widely known, it depends on how creative you chop it/skate it.  If you do a basic loop with a well known break, or do an easy trick on a known spot, there is going to be disrespect.  Personally I don't care if you found the sample in a fucking bin in a dusty basement, I'll still roll my eyes if I hear something I've heard over and over rehashed.  Same with vids where everyone's going to the basic LA spots (or east coast spots, bcn spots, etc).  BUT if you take what everyone's already seen and attack it in a completely unique way, that is something else and I will respect that for sure (example - Jaws ollieing over the rail at that one spot - not a trick I saw coming). 

As far as me, I'm more of a bargain bin diver and I tend to buy records I specifically haven't heard of for the majority of my samples - it might not show in the finished product, but I'm stoked on the process, on driving to some weird flea market and finding something that I can rock that no one I know has bought and that I haven't heard.  I do think, though, that it's obvious in skating and digging when you use the same kind of shit everyone's using - oh wow, a perfect handrail, a perfect funk break.

I use the shit out of the net finding record spots, so I'm with you there.  Like you said, putting in work can be better.  I got a tip for a flea market deal the other day and felt like I'd just got some Russian missile plans haha.  And finding a crazy thrift store when you get off the highway to piss is a feeling that's hard to describe to someone that doesn't 'hunt.'

Just like skating, everything has been used by someone else at some point though.  And in my opinion that's cool, but it depends on the extent you're rehashing old stuff, like I said above blah blah blah.  I do use the internet for drums if I'm lazy tho, so, guilty.

And what you put in bold is the truth!  I'm out there too.  Fools can do what fools do, I'll still be playing the game, skating and digging, as long as I can.