Author Topic: Indy standard baseplate bending on the edges  (Read 210 times)

nopopguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • the life snake
Indy standard baseplate bending on the edges
« on: July 19, 2024, 07:45:59 AM »
Ive been using this indy 144 standard for like a year now and I noticed the baseplate (where it grinds against the ledge in nose/tail slides) is kinda bent in the corners, in a way that its going inside the wood and the middle of the baseplate is kinda hovering off the board. Is that normal? Any ideia on how to "fix" that issue? I think im gonna grind it down on the asphalt or something like that... I can post pictures to better explain whats goin on.
I don't even do that many nose/tailslides :(
the life snake

cVlt of the hVffer

• Rep: 24
Re: Indy standard baseplate bending on the edges
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 01:44:44 PM »
That can happen with all trucks. Means you are ripping and should continue to do so.

You can take the trucks off your board and grind down the edges flat by rubbing them on the sidewalk. Easy enough.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 02:34:47 PM by cVlt of the hVffer »

franc

• Rep: 108
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 01:58:44 PM »
I have multiple setups and get that on all my trucks (all Indys) but then again I skate with risers which makes this happen more easily. Never bothered me in any way.

Pretty sure you could fix this with an angle grinder or even maybe a scrap of griptape.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 05:54:01 PM »

Yeah all as above.

I usually take off the end edges before changing trucks over to a new board - just hold the truck by the hanger and scrape on anything that is moderately rough like exposed concrete to wear it down nicely, then if you have spare grip or the offcuts from your deck, use those to finish the bits you have rounded off, so it is nice and smooth, with no sharp edges or points that will cut into the deck.

Works a treat and keeps everything nicely where it should be.

If you are referring to a definite hump in the middle of the baseplate, eg the board has run full tilt into something and actually bent the baseplate or popped the hanger out of the pivot point, then that is a totally different situation, but either way, unless it is bent beyond where the hanger staying in the pivot point, things should still hold on well enough.

Back when Indy Stage 9 baseplates had the two holes in the middle, they would often bend up and break in the middle, but I haven't seen any Indy baseplates do this since going back to a solid baseplate again.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1342
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 08:33:42 PM »
file em down and welcome to the club