Author Topic: Sale Gear Thread  (Read 2206334 times)

Theme For A Jackal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
Re: Sale Gear Thread
« Reply #8100 on: October 22, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »
Expand Quote
There are 2 Michael bay films in the criterion collection.
[close]

And not one Herzog.

But good looking out Chuck - still browsing.

Christ even Kevin Smith is in there

TumKayo

« Reply #8101 on: October 22, 2020, 07:16:37 PM »
What are your predictions for Black Friday deals? Will they be off the hook this year to make up for the hit in retail from covid? Or is there not enough supply for there to be crazy deals?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8102 on: October 22, 2020, 07:25:23 PM »
What are your predictions for Black Friday deals? Will they be off the hook this year to make up for the hit in retail from covid? Or is there not enough supply for there to be crazy deals?

Probably this - shops just got restocked with DLX product and even the Clearance section of popular websites has been barren for months. If Tactics restocks their shop boards I'm getting a box of those.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TumKayo

« Reply #8103 on: October 22, 2020, 07:44:28 PM »
Why are Baker Boys brands now releasing holiday 2020 catalogs, stocked up and selling out? When other brands are still trying to fulfill summer catalog orders?

I’m definitely stocking up in case shit hits the fan this winter. Best case scenario, production comes back to normal and I just don’t buy much gear this spring.

TumKayo

« Reply #8104 on: October 22, 2020, 07:45:07 PM »
Whoops, sorry for double post

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #8105 on: October 22, 2020, 08:05:04 PM »
Why are Baker Boys brands now releasing holiday 2020 catalogs, stocked up and selling out? When other brands are still trying to fulfill summer catalog orders?

I’m definitely stocking up in case shit hits the fan this winter. Best case scenario, production comes back to normal and I just don’t buy much gear this spring.

IDK seemed to me that Baker stayed pretty stocked all through the thick quarantine production slowdown somehow so it doesn't seem that surprising

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #8106 on: October 22, 2020, 08:46:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably this - shops just got restocked with DLX product and even the Clearance section of popular websites has been barren for months. If Tactics restocks their shop boards I'm getting a box of those.

Yeah there isn’t much hardware wise but you’ll probably get some deals with soft goods
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #8107 on: October 22, 2020, 10:30:17 PM »

I was wondering this myself. I have had some Baker boards in the past and they were good quality. They all had a stained top ply and middle ply, some also had a stained bottom ply.

When I recently went to the shop and looked at a few Baker boards, they only had a stained top ply. A few boards had no stained plies. I may be wrong but BBS/Generator Usually has 2-4 stained plies (depending on brand) for the pro quality decks and 0-1 stained plies for the price point boards such as the Real Renew decks.

Are they getting more boards than other bigger brands right now because they are going with the easier to manufacture decks? Regardless, at about $5-$8 more expensive than other brand's boards with what is clearly a cheaper to manufacture process, I put the board back and moved on.
How much for an order of ribs?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #8108 on: October 23, 2020, 04:57:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was wondering this myself. I have had some Baker boards in the past and they were good quality. They all had a stained top ply and middle ply, some also had a stained bottom ply.

When I recently went to the shop and looked at a few Baker boards, they only had a stained top ply. A few boards had no stained plies. I may be wrong but BBS/Generator Usually has 2-4 stained plies (depending on brand) for the pro quality decks and 0-1 stained plies for the price point boards such as the Real Renew decks.

Are they getting more boards than other bigger brands right now because they are going with the easier to manufacture decks? Regardless, at about $5-$8 more expensive than other brand's boards with what is clearly a cheaper to manufacture process, I put the board back and moved on.

They could be really good at forecasting and had summer gear ready to roll before all this covid gear shortage really started throwing everyone on their heels. An while others were scrambling to get summer gear out, baker winter gear was already on production lines.

Maybe they have another wood shop that they are supplementing with as well.

Maybe they are making game time decisions in order to get boards faster. I deal with a lot of production vendors in my day to day. Coloring veneers takes time, let alone more than one color. Maybe they talked to BBS and were told they could get boards in hand months sooner by skipping the coloring stage, knowing there is a shortage.

Maybe they are paying a premium or a "rush charge" to skip ahead of other companies. So while some of their decks maybe lacking the colored plys they still paid top dollar to rush the order through production. Which would warrant price staying the same.

Has it been confirmed that stained plys add to deck strength? Or is it just a nice touch companies started doing to be "premium"?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #8109 on: October 23, 2020, 06:00:54 AM »
i know nordstrom rack online gets brought up here a bunch...but popped into one yesterday and they had a ton of vans pro's and CONS CTAS high's for less than $30 in store. grabbed the "purple" CTAS for $25.
good come sausage

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8110 on: October 23, 2020, 07:15:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They could be really good at forecasting and had summer gear ready to roll before all this covid gear shortage really started throwing everyone on their heels. An while others were scrambling to get summer gear out, baker winter gear was already on production lines.

Maybe they have another wood shop that they are supplementing with as well.

Maybe they are making game time decisions in order to get boards faster. I deal with a lot of production vendors in my day to day. Coloring veneers takes time, let alone more than one color. Maybe they talked to BBS and were told they could get boards in hand months sooner by skipping the coloring stage, knowing there is a shortage.

Maybe they are paying a premium or a "rush charge" to skip ahead of other companies. So while some of their decks maybe lacking the colored plys they still paid top dollar to rush the order through production. Which would warrant price staying the same.

Has it been confirmed that stained plys add to deck strength? Or is it just a nice touch companies started doing to be "premium"?

Can't remember who told me (want to say it was the owner of a board co) but apparently the stained plies are ever-so-slightly weaker than unstained plies. Which is funny because I've always felt like boards that don't have a stained bottom die more quickly, though that is probably because they start to look like shit faster.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #8111 on: October 23, 2020, 07:18:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

IDK seemed to me that Baker stayed pretty stocked all through the thick quarantine production slowdown somehow so it doesn't seem that surprising
I have to assume baker co is such a huge account for the woodshop they would probably get some sorta priority or preferential treatment. Actually got a baker due to Covid and I plan on staying with their 8.0-8.1 shapes. Got one coming today

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8112 on: October 23, 2020, 09:01:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And not one Herzog.

[close]

Don't buy the shitty stuff they carry.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #8113 on: October 23, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And not one Herzog.

[close]

[close]

Don't buy the shitty stuff they carry.
I just bought my dad Easy Rider (Criterion Collection) and a bag of weed for his birthday. I'll watch it on Thanksgiving and report back.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #8114 on: October 23, 2020, 11:13:33 AM »

Can't remember who told me (want to say it was the owner of a board co) but apparently the stained plies are ever-so-slightly weaker than unstained plies. Which is funny because I've always felt like boards that don't have a stained bottom die more quickly, though that is probably because they start to look like shit faster.

It's one of those things like "dips have less pop" that's pretty much impossible to prove/disprove but probably bullshit. Some people swear they're better, some people swear they're worse. Politic I believe is on the unstained camp. My personal take on it is that it's most likely a superstition like red tops, and variance from board to board is probably more down to things like wood grain and density that are almost impossible to entirely control for. But if it makes you feel more comfortable then you'll probably skate better, so you do you.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8115 on: October 23, 2020, 11:22:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's one of those things like "dips have less pop" that's pretty much impossible to prove/disprove but probably bullshit. Some people swear they're better, some people swear they're worse. Politic I believe is on the unstained camp. My personal take on it is that it's most likely a superstition like red tops, and variance from board to board is probably more down to things like wood grain and density that are almost impossible to entirely control for. But if it makes you feel more comfortable then you'll probably skate better, so you do you.

Yep, I doubt it makes any difference, I just thought was interesting. I think liking what you're looking down at makes everything skate better and last longer, which is what I mean about a colored bottom ply...if I see that when the graphic wearing off versus some entailed wood, the board still looks nice to me and I want to keep it going longer.

Also funny about the dip thing, I feel like I hear far fewer people complain about it with the prevalence of very poppy dipped FA and Hockey boards.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #8116 on: October 23, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »
oh man, in the early 2000s i pretty much exclusively rode TumYeto/Watson decks, and I was 100% convinced that the stained-bottom-ply ones were thinner and snappier.  I still prefer a stained bottom ply to natural. 

TumKayo

« Reply #8117 on: October 23, 2020, 11:52:02 AM »
I have been thinking about the color thing for days. Here is a recent Baker with 3 stained plies.

Here are are two recent Heroin boards with 2 stained plies each.

And then here is one recent Heroin Board with only one stained ply

Sorry for out of focus

I’ve been a Baker Boys fanboy since middle school. I have never skated a bad board from them in my life. I prefer boards with more colors, but I’m actually skating worse on the Baker with 3 colored plies, and best on my solo colored ply Heroin. I don’t think it matters that much.

That being said, my most crisp feeling board right now is a DGK which I believe has at least 3, maybe even 4 colored plies. Don’t have a pic of that one right meow.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8118 on: October 23, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I have to assume baker co is such a huge account for the woodshop they would probably get some sorta priority or preferential treatment. Actually got a baker due to Covid and I plan on staying with their 8.0-8.1 shapes. Got one coming today
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but Baker is one of those companies that is ahead in catalogs. As in they release their lines earlier than others.
As to the comment someone made about stained plys. I can see them skipping out and getting boards made faster.

Now I’m itching for a B16.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #8119 on: October 23, 2020, 03:39:52 PM »
I have been thinking about the color thing for days. Here is a recent Baker with 3 stained plies.

Sorry for out of focus

I’ve been a Baker Boys fanboy since middle school. I have never skated a bad board from them in my life. I prefer boards with more colors, but I’m actually skating worse on the Baker with 3 colored plies, and best on my solo colored ply Heroin. I don’t think it matters that much.

That being said, my most crisp feeling board right now is a DGK which I believe has at least 3, maybe even 4 colored plies. Don’t have a pic of that one right meow.

I don’t know if there is any truth to this and someone more knowledgeable can chime in but I remember hearing someone say the darker the ply makes the boards less crisp. Not necessarily darker color but more how opaque the stain is cause it fits in dye longer so it gets soggy?

Idk the colors of plies on the one you currently are feeling so this may be bullshit.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8120 on: October 23, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »
Expand Quote

Sorry for out of focus

[close]

I don’t know if there is any truth to this and someone more knowledgeable can chime in but I remember hearing someone say the darker the ply makes the boards less crisp. Not necessarily darker color but more how opaque the stain is cause it fits in dye longer so it gets soggy?

Idk the colors of plies on the one you currently are feeling so this may be bullshit.

This is like peak gear madness

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #8121 on: October 23, 2020, 05:32:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Sorry for out of focus

[close]

[close]

This is like peak gear madness

Im not saying I actively look at the roof stains and it affects me. Just this is a thing I heard and maybe that’s why certain boards from same place feel different

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8122 on: October 26, 2020, 08:31:27 AM »
good come sausage

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #8123 on: October 26, 2020, 12:39:55 PM »
There are some Stan Smiths that look like they have nice buttery white leather and some Superstars made out of premium materials that might skate well too.  Really don't need any shoes of course (famous last words.)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8124 on: October 26, 2020, 01:02:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Converse 40% off sale with MEMBER40

Random sizing on the CONS

I grabbed the some CTAS and One Star slips for $25 each
[close]
what color? I’m eh on that Teal but want to try a pair
[close]

Teal CTAS and green slips
Arrived? how is that teal in hand? discount still active
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 04:25:06 PM by jay_nev »

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8125 on: October 27, 2020, 09:59:37 AM »
not really a "sale" but definitely skate nerd related. Orchard Skateshop has an "Overripe" section with some OG Lakai Telfords, not cheap, but pretty new looking. a bunch of cool vintage stuff in there.

https://orchardshop.com/collections/overripe?page=1&sort_by=manual
good come sausage

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8126 on: October 27, 2020, 10:18:00 AM »
not really a "sale" but definitely skate nerd related. Orchard Skateshop has an "Overripe" section with some OG Lakai Telfords, not cheap, but pretty new looking. a bunch of cool vintage stuff in there.

This is the polar opposite of a sale. But, I did scoop up a Lance mag. Thanks!

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8127 on: October 27, 2020, 06:28:44 PM »
Limited sizes but all adidas $40 at home skate shop..

Size 10 $40 adidas 3st.004
https://www.homeskateshop.com/footwear/adidas/3st004-pid-16361

Size 8 tyshawn
https://www.homeskateshop.com/footwear/adidas/tyshawn-pid-17079

Also quasi crockett high $65 8 9 11
Wish they had my size in these
https://www.homeskateshop.com/footwear/vans/crockett-high-pro-pid-19033

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #8128 on: October 27, 2020, 06:37:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Great idea, wish more shops did this. I always wanted those Skate Fairy Carrolls.

They also have the Krooked Jake Johnson board, my favourite of all the gest boards. They've definitely priced it accordingly.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8129 on: October 27, 2020, 07:43:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Great idea, wish more shops did this. I always wanted those Skate Fairy Carrolls.

They also have the Krooked Jake Johnson board, my favourite of all the gest boards. They've definitely priced it accordingly.

You guys mind buying some of this stuff so I don't feel tempted to open my wallet?

3 Krooked decks for $200 is a steal given current board prices, Worrest, Gonz and Cancer Dan.
https://orchardshop.com/collections/overripe/products/overripe-krooked-set-of-3-decks-flying-burger-gang-2015
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m