Author Topic: Best bag for air travel with a board?  (Read 1943 times)

ThirtyYearsYoung

Best bag for air travel with a board?
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:53:12 AM »
I fly a lot and like to take my board with me, but I've yet to find a really good way to transport it on planes. I'd really like to check it so I don't have to drag it through airports, but I don't really want a ton of other luggage sitting on top of it for hours and warping it. Not sure if that would really happen, but still.

What I usually do is stuff it "primo" (i.e. wheels pointing sideways instead of up or down) inside a giant duffel bag, then pad it with clothes. I figure putting pressure on it sideways is less of a risk for distorting the shape than putting pressure on the flat part of the deck. The problem with this is I usually end up over packing just for the sake of protecting the board, so I end up with an unnecessarily huge piece of luggage.

I guess I'd be willing to carry it on if there was a way to conceal it somehow. I kind of like to maintain the image of a responsible adult when I travel and don't want to check in to the airport lounge with a skateboard under my arm. I've looked for a bag designed expressly for this purpose, but not much luck. All the skate bags I find seem like you have to strap the board to the outside of the bag. I could just get one of these and check it, but it wouldn't offer much protection for the board.

Any suggestions??

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Best bag for air travel with a board?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:10:40 AM »
most of the time i just check it in like another bag.
this way my bag didn't make it to barcelona since the airline lost it, but my board did.

another suggestion might be to move that thread to stuff and gear.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:07:18 AM »
es boarding bag is worth looking at

I have one for when I need to take my board to work if I'm skating in London in the evening.  I can fit my board/shoes/change of clothes in with no trouble

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:09:38 AM by noileum »

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:05:34 AM »
That es bag is exactly what I want, but I don't think they sell it anymore. It's not on the es website and the only shops I can find online that have it are UK shops (I'm in the US). I guess I could order one and have it shipped but I'm sure that'll cost just as much as the bag itself.

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:08:38 PM »
I travel by plane a lot and I bring my board everywhere. I use a normal ass duffel bag. Just throw all your clothes, board and whatever else in there. Easy as fuck.

coneklr

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »
ThirtyYearsYoung, if you really want that es bag let me know, I think my local shop has one of them.

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:40:10 AM »
Does your shop have a website and are they in the US? Hook me up, I'll buy it.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 10:02:05 AM »
I bought the Ogio 9800 bag. a board can fit right inside, and the bag itself has this super hard plastic on the outside of it so none of your shit gets damaged.

it's a little pricy, but if your luggage won't get fucked up, I'm down for it.

coneklr

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 03:26:03 PM »
Does your shop have a website and are they in the US? Hook me up, I'll buy it.

They don't have a site that has inventory or you can order from but I'll stop by and check for you in the next day or two and let you know.  And yeah in the US.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 01:47:06 AM »
the flip vato bag can also fit in a board\shoes\few clothes

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:10 AM »
That Flip bag might do the job, but I definitely like the Es one better. That Ogio one is huge and also super ugly. Much more bulk than i want and not something I want to be seen carrying!

coneklr

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 06:17:03 PM »
ThirtyYearsYoung, they got one man.  $32 I can buy it and ship it to you if you want it.  Let me know man

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »
That would be awesome, I'd totally appreciate it. Does it look like it'll hold a pair of shoes and a change of clothes (jeans and a shirt) in addition to a board?

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
I checked out a video of the bag online, looks like it'll do the job. $32 sounds good, how much do you want for shipping/your trouble?

coneklr

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 03:21:54 PM »
I got you then.  I'll pick it up in the next day or two and ship it as soon as I get the $ from you.  I could probably fold it and fit it into a priority usps box and I think those are anywhere in the US for $10 so, we'll say $45?  If you want to do this let me know and if you have paypal I can pm you my info.  Or if you want to pay another way let me know.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
You guys all in the US ?   I cant board a plane at all with a board . Even Skate tools have been rejected . ( Europe )

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 06:09:20 PM »
you could always break the board down and fit in any old bag. i travel with an internal frame backpack and carry my sled but if i were to take the trucks off it would all fit quite nicely.

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »
I got you then.  I'll pick it up in the next day or two and ship it as soon as I get the $ from you.  I could probably fold it and fit it into a priority usps box and I think those are anywhere in the US for $10 so, we'll say $45?  If you want to do this let me know and if you have paypal I can pm you my info.  Or if you want to pay another way let me know.

Cool, thanks. I'll send you a PM with my info.

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »
You guys all in the US ?   I cant board a plane at all with a board . Even Skate tools have been rejected . ( Europe )

That's surprising, since the US is generally waaaaaay more uptight about flying regulations than anywhere else I've been in the world. I've definitely taken boards on planes w/out any bag at all before, but it's been a few years so maybe things have changed (?).

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 07:52:51 AM »
Yeah, usually I carry my board with me and haven't gotten in any trouble yet. But the last time I traveled was November 2010, anyone know if shit got way more strict?

coneklr

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
I went to LA twice last year with my board but I checked my bag it was in so I doubt this is much help.  But I find it makes getting on and off the plane and in/out of the airport so much better.

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »
Yeah, for domestic flights I would probably just check it. It's a short flight and a smaller plane, so less chance of getting 500lbs of other people's luggage piled on your board for a long time. International is when I'd want to carry it on. A 747 seats hundreds of people and if you're making a connection it could easily be 24+ hours with who knows how much weight on your board.