Author Topic: Thinking about joining the armed forces  (Read 13001 times)

gutterhead.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Thinking about joining the armed forces
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:44 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread but whatever.

I took the ASVAB the other week and have been researching jobs that i qualify for, and now that i know a little more about everything i'd like to get more specific advice. For those that don't know, i'm enlisting in the Air Force, and got an AFQT of 80. 78-Mechanical, 88-Administrative, 70-General, and 82-Electric. so far the AFSC's i'm leaning towards are...

1. Unmanned Aerospace Systems
2. Space Systems Operations
3. Weather
4. Fire Protection
5. Air Traffic Control
6. Nuclear Weapons

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2012, 08:55:56 AM »
Wow! Nuclear Weapons! Now if The U.S. kills millions, including a high percentage of civillians in one fell swoop, or takes away our civil rights due to the possibility of weapons they made being in "the wrong hands" you can claim that you helped!
What a life you are preparing to have!
Why don't you just sell crack on the corner. Less people die, less risk to you, you'll make more money, and you can quit whenever you want. I know it sounds shitty, but think about it this way, its better than your current plans.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread but whatever.

I took the ASVAB the other week and have been researching jobs that i qualify for, and now that i know a little more about everything i'd like to get more specific advice. For those that don't know, i'm enlisting in the Air Force, and got an AFQT of 80. 78-Mechanical, 88-Administrative, 70-General, and 82-Electric. so far the AFSC's i'm leaning towards are...

1. Unmanned Aerospace Systems
2. Space Systems Operations
3. Weather
4. Fire Protection
5. Air Traffic Control
6. Nuclear Weapons

1.  Definitely a good choice if you like videos games, monster energy drink, the movie Toys, and not having to see accidental civilian casualties "up close and personal."  Post-Military Career Options:  Few.  I hear you can make a lot of money selling gold in games like Diablo though.

2.  Space is totally boring, unless you are playing golf on the moon or having zero gravity sex with some hot alien chick.  Stay away from this.

3.  Weather is unpredictable so you don't have to be good at your job.  I recommend this if you plan on going to war in the middle east.  All you have to say is that is will be sunny and dry.  When you come back to USA though, people are going to be pissed off at you when they cancel their tee-times because you said it was going to fucking rain, asshole.  Ironically, you'll deal with more hostiles at home in this case.

4.  You want to join the airforce to learn how to become a fireman?  WTF?  Whatever happened to people wanting to be like Iceman and Maverick?

5.  This seem like a smart enough choice, but i've noticed that those little towers at airports seem pretty small so I don't think you'd get a job as a civilian too easily.  Unless you could offer them something most couldn't, like maybe you'd work under minimum wage and would bring your own coffee...idk.

6.  Nukes eh?  Everyone is talking about reducing the nuclear stockpile so maybe you should focus your efforts on turning that discussion in the other direction.  Maybe we can get Russia AND China to starting threatening us with those big boys again.  Wouldn't that be nice?

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2012, 02:32:57 PM »
FYI that nukes thing was kind of a joke, and becoming a pilot was my original intent, until i found out the first Pre Req is to have a bachelor's degree. If anything, if i decide to do the whole military career thing, i can get my degree at an Air Force Academy and eventually become a pilot, but it's not an entry level job.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:35:44 PM by gutterhead. »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »
ARFF

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »
I find it very comforting that people in Slovenia who choose to serve in the military, become police officers or who work in customs are basically college (or high school) drop-outs who basically aren't qualified to do shit (not even to work at a cash register) - protect and serve, just as long I don't need to do shit but abuse my authority.

Seems to me, USA is kinda on the same page. And that is lame. Abolish military and establish a competent police force and other emergency services.

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2012, 05:22:35 PM »
Listen, I'm not a meathead, and im not a person. i graduated high school in 2009 with a 3.9 GPA, and got into various (california) state universities, but i'm in that weird middle class where college was too expensive for me, yet i don't qualify for any financial aid. So i got a couple jobs and have been working for the past couple years after high school, which pretty much threw me all off course for saving up and going back to school and what not. The way i see it, i enlist, serve my time, come back home and have the government pay for my schooling, all while getting paid and having full medical and dental coverage. Now i know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and i know most everyone on slap is going to, or already has given me and the military a ton of shit in this thread, and i dont really care, but your post Kornholio, was incredibly uninformed and outright stupid.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2012, 09:06:10 PM »
fill out a fafsa, take out some loans, write a few essays and try to get some scholarship money. You can get college money.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
fill out a fafsa, take out some loans, write a few essays and try to get some scholarship money. You can get college money.

I would strongly advise against this.

Unless you have a good plan in place to pay your dues.

+Have you considered looking into a cheaper university? The military shouldn't be used as a tool to pay for your schooling if you aren't truly committed to service. That's how I see things, at least.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2012, 01:18:11 AM »
Listen, I'm not a meathead, and im not a person. i graduated high school in 2009 with a 3.9 GPA, and got into various (california) state universities, but i'm in that weird middle class where college was too expensive for me, yet i don't qualify for any financial aid. So i got a couple jobs and have been working for the past couple years after high school, which pretty much threw me all off course for saving up and going back to school and what not. The way i see it, i enlist, serve my time, come back home and have the government pay for my schooling, all while getting paid and having full medical and dental coverage. Now i know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and i know most everyone on slap is going to, or already has given me and the military a ton of shit in this thread, and i dont really care, but your post Kornholio, was incredibly uninformed and outright stupid.

I'm just generally extremely opposed to military. Don't know if the money is worth the mental damage that serving may inflict on you. Also, here in Slovenia, college is free for anyone (albeit now everything else that comes with it, but it still is affordable for the vast majority and people abuse that for "college party years") and it seems that only the biggest dipshits then choose to serve. Just my two cents.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2012, 07:23:33 AM »

I'll come in again and say...

Think about this- Although you will, without a doubt, receive good benefits fighting these wars, because that's what you will doing, you are giving up your life to the military. You will be a part of the war machine that is actively responsible for acts of destruction in the name of profit and subsequently the murder countless people. It can be argued that we, in the US, by virtue of using gasoline, paying taxes, etc are all responsible for it. Think of it like this though- you ever see a small fire on the side of the road? Plenty of people do. One might drive by this fire to let it spread and burn, thinking that extinguishing it is not their responsibility. One can pull over to the side of the road and try to put it out. Or gasoline could be poured on the fire, exacerbating its spread. Options one and three spread the fire. Do you want to have a direct part in the spread?

Fill out financial aid paper work, keep working, and take classes at a Community College. Once you hit 24 financial aid gets a lot sweeter. I'm graduating with my BA in a month on my own dime. It's been ridiculous at times but i've had to answer to no one other than myself. I'll be less than 11 grand in debt. I can work that off in less than 5 years.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:28:39 AM by steve »