Author Topic: What would you give up skateboarding for?  (Read 10867 times)

MaryhillVibe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
Re: What would you give up skateboarding for?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »
I dont understand the question?

if its a would you do ............ for a million dollars style question, then maybe for the opportunity to pork zooey Deschanel as she is now, on the regs for the rest of my natural life.

But if this is another "Wah im getting older, i have real life problems and so many adult things to do", then you can fuck right off, If you love skateboarding, and you are not a skateboarder unless you do, then you will always find a scrap of time here or there to push around and scratch that itch.

Quitting isnt for pussies, it's for short sighted morons.

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 07:41:57 PM »
 At first, I thought money, but if I was affluent i would use my money to travel to fun places to skate so I don't have a good answer for that
MN -> IL

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »
Quitting isnt for pussies, it's for short sighted morons.

Nice one.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »
At first, I thought money, but if I was affluent i would use my money to travel to fun places to skate so I don't have a good answer for that

Dude, I thought this too.

I've had to cut down on my skating because of school/lack of people to skate with (it's only so fun to always be the kid skating by yourself), but I will never give it up unless I physically have to. I mean, I'll do little no complies, ollies, and shove its in my apartment bedroom to take a break from reading and writing papers just because it's better than nothing. But I honestly cannot fathom a good reason to stop skating.

Also, what the fuck are "arvos" that people talked about on the last page? Do you mean "afternoons?" Because there's already a word for that.

(Hint: it's "afternoons.")

myles.

• Rep: 4
    • mylessk8s avatar image
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 05:25:40 AM »
i have a hard time not being able to skate everyday. no, i would not give up skateboarding for anything.

just skate there

• Rep: -1
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 07:00:07 AM »

Also, what the fuck are "arvos" that people talked about on the last page? Do you mean "afternoons?" Because there's already a word for that.

the word has been shortened and streamlined for efficiency , get with the times old man

hamburglar

• Rep: 14
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 07:20:44 AM »
i picture og de souza pushing around with broken fingers at some shitty brazilian skatepark and i feel like a gaping pussy thinking about this.
i skated with a colostomy bag for a few months after my large intestine was removed.. but doing kickflips while shitting out of a hole in your stomach into an adhesive bag is something we've all wanted to try.

TonyBologna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »
Only thing guaranteed to me is entropy, skateboarding and death. I worked 6 days a week, skated before, on break, and after each day, with the skatepark being 1/4 a mile away it was convenient. Then, would go on trips all over to new skateparks each sunday with the homies. Now, got back into school, and am working a job that kills my back/whole body, and tires the fuck outta me. But I will still get out and push any nice day after work and school, or between classes, the weekends are all mine. It really does make you appreciate it more.

Also, getting out of work to meet up with friends that have been skating all day is a bummer. But it truly is a part of growing up.

Only reason I will quit skating is for more skating.
Skateboarding is easy, I've played Skate 3 dude!

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 08:47:17 AM »
i picture og de souza pushing around with broken fingers at some shitty brazilian skatepark and i feel like a gaping pussy thinking about this.
i skated with a colostomy bag for a few months after my large intestine was removed.. but doing kickflips while shitting out of a hole in your stomach into an adhesive bag is something we've all wanted to try.

Fucking hell man.  I recently had a family member go through that whole deal with the 2 stage surgery J-pouch procedure and I know what they endured.  I am amazed that you managed to step foot on a board.  Props to you.  That took some fortitude, it can't be easy skating with balls that massive.

oneshovel

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 09:06:10 AM »
I've been skating for over 10 years, I've had lots of fun and landed some tricks I'm stoked on.  So with that considered.. If someone offered me $100,000 to give it up.. I'd gladly take it, pay off the $25,000 I owe, and use the rest to better my life.  Because right now, skating doesn't seem worth the poor, directionless life I lead.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the word has been shortened and streamlined for efficiency , get with the times old man

gayest thing i ever heard.

i would quit skateboarding for a lifetime supply of crack, which is a pretty abstract amount if you think about it.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
i usually give up skateboarding for a sandwich, some pizza, or some brews.

dorito dave

• Rep: -6
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »
Kinda gave it up for work . Work 300+ hours a month and you mostly sleep on your days off

I still skate though , but its not a everyday thing .

Atleast I traded skating which I love for Cooking which I might love even more then skating
Why people would chose to work 75+ hours a week, or any figure around there, has always confused me. Unless it's temporary, or an absolute dream job you're working, I find it incomprehensible as to how you can consider it worthwhile.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would like to streamline your face with a shotgun.

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »
I would cheat the system and trade my one skateboarding for INFINITE SKATEBOARDINGS!

Dontkickshitfoot

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 07:30:49 PM »
Anal with the harry potter bitch.

or weed...

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »
no amount of money or weed or celeb snootch could convince me to quit skateboarding.

i guess i'm just a G like that.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I've given up so much celebrity pussy to be a skater. I've never even fucked a B-lister, and I'm totally ok with that.
Death, obviously. Maybe its fucked up, but if I was so immobile that I couldn't even roll on a skateboard, I'd probably want to kill myself, so its death.
Life has hit me hard over the past couple of years. Going from a sub living in SF with a bunch of skating roommates to a full time teacher in LA going to grad school with almost nobody to skate with, I think I've hit one of those points where a lot of people would have given it up. The way I see it, there are some very specific times when people quit skating: puberty/girls, college, and career. You gotta tough through it and evolve, not quit or give it up.
As you get older, time gets scarcer and you need to start making tradeoffs, but you can still be a skater.
Some tips for people with adult responsibilities to get more skating time in:
1) Specifically plan out times when you will go skating, like the exact hours. The days of chilling, watching a video, and cruising around until whenever are going to be limited. You can make it work just like any other full time asshole who spends an hour at the gym 3 times a week if you just replace gym with skatespot.
2) Bring a change of clothes and your skateboard with you in your car at all times. Sometimes you have time between meetings, a long lunch break, or some other short spurt of time where if you had a board, jeans, a t-shirt, and some shoes, you'd be able to skate.
3) If you are doing a lot of studying or any other type of job that is mentally exhausting, its actually a lot more relaxing to go out skating than to pile out, as odd as it may seem. Watching tv is just inundating your brain with more useless information to process, which is what made you tired in the first place. Skating allows you to zone out, take a step back from the bullshit of the world and physically release stress. It sounds weird, but try it. You'll find you are more efficient at work time too.

It may sound odd, but I think with my life as it is now, I appreciate skating more than ever. I don't give a fuck how good I am, I have a career and am never going to be pro, little timmy can show me up all he wants, and you are right that you think about skating a lot more when you can't do it as much. Its cool though, because skating becomes the time I get to try out all those great ideas I have had during the time I couldn't skate.

Giving up skateboarding is for assholes. When people tell me they used to skate, I look at them as lower than people who never have done it. People who haven't tried it don't know what they are missing out on. When I get a "I used to skate!" The first question that pops in my mind is "Why the fuck did you quit?" And I know we won't get along.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

dickie ickies

• Rep: -1
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 08:07:37 PM »
martyrdom

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »
hashtags

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:55 AM »
3) If you are doing a lot of studying or any other type of job that is mentally exhausting, its actually a lot more relaxing to go out skating than to pile out, as odd as it may seem. Watching tv is just inundating your brain with more useless information to process, which is what made you tired in the first place. Skating allows you to zone out, take a step back from the bullshit of the world and physically release stress. It sounds weird, but try it. You'll find you are more efficient at work time too.

Thanks Gip! The more you know...(insert spontaneous rainbow) I really gotta learn to balance out my time for this shit, maybe have spots planned in advance rather than drive around at random just to skate an empty parking lot.

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »

My brother went through the same thing, he was so ill for eight years that he was barely able to leave the house, nevermind skate. Years later and after multipe surgeries, and my moving away to the other side of the world, I was sent this photo.

Just one more reason that I can not and will not ever give up.

dorito dave

• Rep: -6
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »
I've given up so much celebrity pussy to be a skater. I've never even fucked a B-lister, and I'm totally ok with that.
Death, obviously. Maybe its fucked up, but if I was so immobile that I couldn't even roll on a skateboard, I'd probably want to kill myself, so its death.
Life has hit me hard over the past couple of years. Going from a sub living in SF with a bunch of skating roommates to a full time teacher in LA going to grad school with almost nobody to skate with, I think I've hit one of those points where a lot of people would have given it up. The way I see it, there are some very specific times when people quit skating: puberty/girls, college, and career. You gotta tough through it and evolve, not quit or give it up.
As you get older, time gets scarcer and you need to start making tradeoffs, but you can still be a skater.
Some tips for people with adult responsibilities to get more skating time in:
1) Specifically plan out times when you will go skating, like the exact hours. The days of chilling, watching a video, and cruising around until whenever are going to be limited. You can make it work just like any other full time asshole who spends an hour at the gym 3 times a week if you just replace gym with skatespot.
2) Bring a change of clothes and your skateboard with you in your car at all times. Sometimes you have time between meetings, a long lunch break, or some other short spurt of time where if you had a board, jeans, a t-shirt, and some shoes, you'd be able to skate.

It may sound odd, but I think with my life as it is now, I appreciate skating more than ever. I don't give a fuck how good I am, I have a career and am never going to be pro, little timmy can show me up all he wants, and you are right that you think about skating a lot more when you can't do it as much. Its cool though, because skating becomes the time I get to try out all those great ideas I have had during the time I couldn't skate.

Giving up skateboarding is for assholes. When people tell me they used to skate, I look at them as lower than people who never have done it. People who haven't tried it don't know what they are missing out on. When I get a "I used to skate!" The first question that pops in my mind is "Why the fuck did you quit?" And I know we won't get along.
You type some big essay up with advice for people but can't wrap your head around why people would quit skating? It's not for everyone - like everything else in life. A lot of people start just because of their friends, and/or are just experimenting. I'm sure there's plenty of things you've tried and gave up on. I don't think the people who still are involved with whatever you tried in your teen years are thinking to themselves how pathetic it is of you and everyone else is for moving on.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:41:56 AM by dorito dave »

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 554
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
You gotta have something absurd to care about that is completely unrelated and independent of your job and family. Skateboarding is mine.

the whompler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • https://vimeo.com/user36500511
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 09:33:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks Gip! The more you know...(insert spontaneous rainbow) I really gotta learn to balance out my time for this shit, maybe have spots planned in advance rather than drive around at random just to skate an empty parking lot.

good idea, but just don't be to organized about it or you'll end up like this poor goon. he created a site to make it easier for himself and other time broke skateboarders to do just that. and now there's a thread to make him feel like an opportunistic kook. yay, everybody wins
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=59868.0

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »
I'd give up skateboarding to be as handsome as Dylan Rieder...

but it's funny, cause even then I couldn't be on team handsome. Cruel world

sorry vic but your sister got all the good looks in the family, with no leftovers for you. but forreal tho i dunno what id give up skateboarding for. i guess itd be my music just because i have more natural talent with that but really thats about it, and i wouldnt do it unless i absolutely had to. ive had periods of time where i pretty much stopped skating, but i always come back to it and ill love it more than ever. ive been skateboarding for almost half my life now its just one of those things thats a part of me. there are few things i find more fun than getting high as fuck & skateboarding with friends.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:00:20 PM by DaSk8D00D »

ilovecotg

• Rep: -7
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 10:56:56 PM »

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
good idea, but just don't be to organized about it or you'll end up like this poor goon. he created a site to make it easier for himself and other time broke skateboarders to do just that. and now there's a thread to make him feel like an opportunistic kook. yay, everybody wins
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=59868.0

Nah, I just meant have an idea of what I feel like skating. I have fun just about anywhere, but always head in a direction with nothing particular in mind which wastes a lot of time and gas instead of picking something and going straight there.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2012, 07:29:49 AM »
Expand Quote
I'd give up skateboarding to be as handsome as Dylan Rieder...

but it's funny, cause even then I couldn't be on team handsome. Cruel world
[close]

sorry vic but your sister got all the good looks in the family, with no leftovers for you. but forreal tho i dunno what id give up skateboarding for.
i guess itd be my music just because i have more natural talent with that but really thats about it, and i wouldnt do it unless i absolutely had to. ive had periods of time where i pretty much stopped skating, but i always come back to it and ill love it more than ever. ive been skateboarding for almost half my life now its just one of those things thats a part of me. there are few things i find more fun than getting high as fuck & skateboarding with friends.
That's not the same Victor. I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Trendy Bastard's(Victor's) fine ass sister.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »