Author Topic: What would you give up skateboarding for?  (Read 10901 times)

irn bruised

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: What would you give up skateboarding for?
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
michael barrymores bellend  ;)

bee

• Rep: -13
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »
Fuck for a bag of cheezies

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »
I'll probably kick some hardcore shins here, but there must be guys out there who are/have been in the same situation as I am.
For the first time in my life, I'm having a period where I just don't feel like going out skating.
All of my friends that skated, quit. Except for one. And my stokedness to go out and skate by myself every day is gone. I used to do this all the time, but I've become sick of it. The crappiness of my local park and lack of "real" spots doesn't help either.

I've picked up riding road race bikes this summer (gay, I know). But the thing is, I'm getting the same kind of satisfaction from it as I always had from skating. Most of my friends have joined this hobby too and we can just go out riding our bikes all day, talking to each other, enjoying the weather, just hanging out. That's something skating just can't give me right now, that great feeling of absolute brodom.

Also, winter has been long and harsh winter and the only sessions I had were at the same indoor park where I've already been hundreds of times and I'm sick of the place.
I definitely haven't quit skating though, never will. I have felt guilty that I mostly prefer to go out and ride my bike nowadays, rather than ride my board. But I shouldn't feel guilty for doing something I love, right ?
Once the weather turns and the new park in my town is done, I'll probably be back on it.
I guess everyone has these kind of periods sooner or later.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
I'll probably kick some hardcore shins here, but there must be guys out there who are/have been in the same situation as I am.
For the first time in my life, I'm having a period where I just don't feel like going out skating.
All of my friends that skated, quit. Except for one. And my stokedness to go out and skate by myself every day is gone. I used to do this all the time, but I've become sick of it. The crappiness of my local park and lack of "real" spots doesn't help either.

I've picked up riding road race bikes this summer (gay, I know). But the thing is, I'm getting the same kind of satisfaction from it as I always had from skating. Most of my friends have joined this hobby too and we can just go out riding our bikes all day, talking to each other, enjoying the weather, just hanging out. That's something skating just can't give me right now, that great feeling of absolute brodom.

Also, winter has been long and harsh winter and the only sessions I had were at the same indoor park where I've already been hundreds of times and I'm sick of the place.
I definitely haven't quit skating though, never will. I have felt guilty that I mostly prefer to go out and ride my bike nowadays, rather than ride my board. But I shouldn't feel guilty for doing something I love, right ?
Once the weather turns and the new park in my town is done, I'll probably be back on it.

i feel you 100% fam. ive gone through similar periods myself but lately ive been skating more frequently, and now that the weathers getting warmer every week ive just been more motivated to go out and shred. i think its good to take a bit of time off when skateboarding becomes a bit stale just so you can come back refocused. once you start forcing yourself to skate more it just becomes less & less fun after a while

cat litter

• Rep: 7
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »
I like this statement made awhile ago

When you put yourself out there and make skating your only thing, skateboarding almost becomes something you have to do, when you have other things that define you, skateboarding becomes an amazing thing you get to do.

find something that can motivate you, that passionate lakers celtic game today made me go skate

or just watch that mark suciu part again

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2012, 05:22:14 PM »
shit, i joined the navy, i work ALOT. i am out to sea alot, but when im in port, i skate in my free time. its rewarding to travel around and skate different shit, on government cheeze!

sdscanz

• Rep: -3
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »
I've found that when i skate everyday i do the same tricks on the same stuff all the time. but when i take a break for a little bit cus of school/ bullshit i come back to skating and do new stuff and look at it different.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2012, 07:42:11 PM »

i'm in the same ship my man. i ride my bike almost every day. just bomb around on the fixie and i'm free. I'm at the point now though, where i'm riding trails and shit on it, trying to gap on the street. it really is a blast and it's fast as fuck.

As far as gayness goes, dude, look at Cardiel and Julien. nuff said

PFIASB.

• Rep: -94
  • Formerly elmo
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
$10
17 inch biceps
banana
people like you are the people who ruin skateboarding and slap 2g

victor333

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i feel you 100% fam. ive gone through similar periods myself but lately ive been skating more frequently, and now that the weathers getting warmer every week ive just been more motivated to go out and shred. i think its good to take a bit of time off when skateboarding becomes a bit stale just so you can come back refocused. once you start forcing yourself to skate more it just becomes less & less fun after a while

We're not so different, you and I...............................................................

I remember back when I was younger, in the winter, I would feel the need to skate just to kinda keep my tricks. I needed to brave the cold at least once a week and do my standard kickflip, heelflip, etc. etc., otherwise I would go nuts.

Shit got old. I wasn't having fun really; I was just practicing. I guess it technically made me a better skater, but who gives a shit about that?

You should only skate if you're having fun, and if you're not having fun, you should skate things/places/ways you don't normally skate.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »

In a weird twist of fate I actually evolved into skating from riding bikes.  In my late teens I was convinced that I was going to go pro and I did everything from stage races on the road to DH and dirt jumping.  I moved to another state to race in the mountains and I was bat shit over the whole deal.  I got pretty far with it but then completely burnt out.  I still have a few bikes but they are covered in dust because all I ever want to do is skate. 

The whole deal cost me a few years of progression in skating but also probably spared my body a little wear and tear that I am cashing in on now.  The absolute only reason that I ever skate is purely for my own selfish enjoyment and it never gets old.  It's the most challenging, progressive and fun habit that I have ever had.  I learned my lesson about taking shit too serious and overindulging and I am fucking glad I learned it with bikes so it doesn't ever fuck up my skating.  I suggest never losing sight of the fact that it's all about fun and if getting out on a bike every now and again helps keep it fresh then do that shit.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also, what the fuck are "arvos" that people talked about on the last page? Do you mean "afternoons?" Because there's already a word for that.

(Hint: it's "afternoons.")
[close]

the word has been shortened and streamlined for efficiency , get with the times old man
[close]

gayest thing i ever heard.

you've obviously never been to australia then (or had an aussie friend) ::)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Cockaigne

• Rep: 0
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2012, 02:04:48 AM »
To be the last man on earth.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
Expand Quote
I've given up so much celebrity pussy to be a skater. I've never even fucked a B-lister, and I'm totally ok with that.
Death, obviously. Maybe its fucked up, but if I was so immobile that I couldn't even roll on a skateboard, I'd probably want to kill myself, so its death.
Life has hit me hard over the past couple of years. Going from a sub living in SF with a bunch of skating roommates to a full time teacher in LA going to grad school with almost nobody to skate with, I think I've hit one of those points where a lot of people would have given it up. The way I see it, there are some very specific times when people quit skating: puberty/girls, college, and career. You gotta tough through it and evolve, not quit or give it up.
As you get older, time gets scarcer and you need to start making tradeoffs, but you can still be a skater.
Some tips for people with adult responsibilities to get more skating time in:
1) Specifically plan out times when you will go skating, like the exact hours. The days of chilling, watching a video, and cruising around until whenever are going to be limited. You can make it work just like any other full time asshole who spends an hour at the gym 3 times a week if you just replace gym with skatespot.
2) Bring a change of clothes and your skateboard with you in your car at all times. Sometimes you have time between meetings, a long lunch break, or some other short spurt of time where if you had a board, jeans, a t-shirt, and some shoes, you'd be able to skate.
3) If you are doing a lot of studying or any other type of job that is mentally exhausting, its actually a lot more relaxing to go out skating than to pile out, as odd as it may seem. Watching tv is just inundating your brain with more useless information to process, which is what made you tired in the first place. Skating allows you to zone out, take a step back from the bullshit of the world and physically release stress. It sounds weird, but try it. You'll find you are more efficient at work time too.

It may sound odd, but I think with my life as it is now, I appreciate skating more than ever. I don't give a fuck how good I am, I have a career and am never going to be pro, little timmy can show me up all he wants, and you are right that you think about skating a lot more when you can't do it as much. Its cool though, because skating becomes the time I get to try out all those great ideas I have had during the time I couldn't skate.

Giving up skateboarding is for assholes. When people tell me they used to skate, I look at them as lower than people who never have done it. People who haven't tried it don't know what they are missing out on. When I get a "I used to skate!" The first question that pops in my mind is "Why the fuck did you quit?" And I know we won't get along.
[close]
You type some big essay up with advice for people but can't wrap your head around why people would quit skating? It's not for everyone - like everything else in life. A lot of people start just because of their friends, and/or are just experimenting. I'm sure there's plenty of things you've tried and gave up on. I don't think the people who still are involved with whatever you tried in your teen years are thinking to themselves how pathetic it is of you and everyone else is for moving on.
Your first statement makes no sense. How does the ability to write an essay have anything to do with understanding the minds of other human beings? I understand why they quit, why do I have to like them for it? If somebody who does something I quit at thinks I blew it, maybe they are right. I'm not saying they are a bad person, they just have very different values and opinions than me, and like I said, we probably won't get along.
Is that okay with you sweetheart?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2012, 01:28:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've given up so much celebrity pussy to be a skater. I've never even fucked a B-lister, and I'm totally ok with that.
Death, obviously. Maybe its fucked up, but if I was so immobile that I couldn't even roll on a skateboard, I'd probably want to kill myself, so its death.
Life has hit me hard over the past couple of years. Going from a sub living in SF with a bunch of skating roommates to a full time teacher in LA going to grad school with almost nobody to skate with, I think I've hit one of those points where a lot of people would have given it up. The way I see it, there are some very specific times when people quit skating: puberty/girls, college, and career. You gotta tough through it and evolve, not quit or give it up.
As you get older, time gets scarcer and you need to start making tradeoffs, but you can still be a skater.
Some tips for people with adult responsibilities to get more skating time in:
1) Specifically plan out times when you will go skating, like the exact hours. The days of chilling, watching a video, and cruising around until whenever are going to be limited. You can make it work just like any other full time asshole who spends an hour at the gym 3 times a week if you just replace gym with skatespot.
2) Bring a change of clothes and your skateboard with you in your car at all times. Sometimes you have time between meetings, a long lunch break, or some other short spurt of time where if you had a board, jeans, a t-shirt, and some shoes, you'd be able to skate.
3) If you are doing a lot of studying or any other type of job that is mentally exhausting, its actually a lot more relaxing to go out skating than to pile out, as odd as it may seem. Watching tv is just inundating your brain with more useless information to process, which is what made you tired in the first place. Skating allows you to zone out, take a step back from the bullshit of the world and physically release stress. It sounds weird, but try it. You'll find you are more efficient at work time too.

It may sound odd, but I think with my life as it is now, I appreciate skating more than ever. I don't give a fuck how good I am, I have a career and am never going to be pro, little timmy can show me up all he wants, and you are right that you think about skating a lot more when you can't do it as much. Its cool though, because skating becomes the time I get to try out all those great ideas I have had during the time I couldn't skate.

Giving up skateboarding is for assholes. When people tell me they used to skate, I look at them as lower than people who never have done it. People who haven't tried it don't know what they are missing out on. When I get a "I used to skate!" The first question that pops in my mind is "Why the fuck did you quit?" And I know we won't get along.
[close]
You type some big essay up with advice for people but can't wrap your head around why people would quit skating? It's not for everyone - like everything else in life. A lot of people start just because of their friends, and/or are just experimenting. I'm sure there's plenty of things you've tried and gave up on. I don't think the people who still are involved with whatever you tried in your teen years are thinking to themselves how pathetic it is of you and everyone else is for moving on.
[close]
Your first statement makes no sense. How does the ability to write an essay have anything to do with understanding the minds of other human beings? I understand why they quit, why do I have to like them for it? If somebody who does something I quit at thinks I blew it, maybe they are right. I'm not saying they are a bad person, they just have very different values and opinions than me, and like I said, we probably won't get along.
Is that okay with you sweetheart?

gippers rep is the only thing i saw in this post. awesome.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
Nothing. Without skateboarding I would probably still be fat, be bored as hell, have no friends, and be a stubborn asshole. Before I really started skating all I would do is go home, eat a boat load of food, play games, and go to bed. I didn't really have any friends. The highlight of my day back  then was going out to eat. I would actually look forward to eating some Taco Bell. Without skateboarding or any interest in skateboarding I would probably become that person again.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »
Nothing. Without skateboarding I would probably still be fat, be bored as hell, have no friends, and be a stubborn asshole. Before I really started skating all I would do is go home, eat a boat load of food, play games, and go to bed. I didn't really have any friends. The highlight of my day back  then was going out to eat. I would actually look forward to eating some Taco Bell. Without skateboarding or any interest in skateboarding I would probably become that person again.

I skate daily and Taco Bell is still something i look forward to, that 5 buck box made me chubbs for a little while  :o it was worth it  ;D

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also, what the fuck are "arvos" that people talked about on the last page? Do you mean "afternoons?" Because there's already a word for that.

(Hint: it's "afternoons.")
[close]

the word has been shortened and streamlined for efficiency , get with the times old man
[close]

gayest thing i ever heard.
[close]

you've obviously never been to australia then (or had an aussie friend) ::)

oooh look at you with you're coy emoticon

I've had many Aussie friends, and never been, but if anyone said "arvos" in front of me I'd probably laugh in their face.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »
how exactly does a "you may never skateboard again" rule get enforced?  cameras all over your life, gps tracking?  I mean after you get your millions, and models it wouldn't be to hard to just have full set-ups and shoes wrapped in thick black plastic bags stashed, or buried in various spots near spots, or anywhere where there are blind spots in the surveillance...talkin bout "we're out of cantaloupe, i'll be back."

maybe i should cross post to the bump when hi thread.