Author Topic: If you think America doesn't have a racial problem, watch this  (Read 10498 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: If you think America doesn't have a racial problem, watch this
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
No charges?  >:(

Kristi Yamaguchi

• Rep: -17
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »
 :'(
I don't even...............

jimi420

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
If someone thinks America doesn't have a racial problem then they're lost without hope. "Oh well we got Obama so racism is over," is one of the worst things you hear about racism being over. A good portion of the country thinks he wasn't born in America and can't accept the fact that we got a black guy as president. America was built on racism and it's still prevalent. to sum it up, niggas is trippin.  

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
I cant even believe this shit.

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »
that is a sad story and some bad reporting

"I MEAN GUYS WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS" great analysis

Kristi Yamaguchi

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »
that is a sad story and some bad reporting

"I MEAN GUYS WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS" great analysis
This is the Young Turks we're talking about dude, not MSNBC.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:38:53 PM »
Poor fuckin' kid. I can't imagine dealing with something so fucked up.

wesconian

• Rep: -10
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »
i couldnt get passed how terrible the reporters are to actually listen to this story....

sprayTAN101

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • thats a sweet tan bro.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »
i couldnt get passed how terrible the reporters are to actually listen to this story....

then you need to get your head out of your ass and realize how serious this is.

"lifestyle scorpion dude..."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
I swear within a fucking week half of America has discovered what they have been giving me shit about bringing up for years: America is racist as fuck and our consumption and imperial expansion results in genocides abroad.
I used to be paranoid, and suddenly now everybody is telling me about these problems they just discovered.

This shit is fucked up, and is so much more common than you expect. Fuck, in LA the trains basically only run in the areas where people of color live, you can't get to the beach and more than half of the city by train. Its not just incidents here and there, it is every major institution in America
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Goblinshark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »

He must not have liked the way he looked
Stephen Alcala: chris cole anit a loser
Stephen Alcala: frank grewer is an alcholic
Stephen Alcala: LOSER

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 05:30:03 PM »
dude brought up a great point ive always said myself. most caucasian people in the US dont know what its like to be a minority. they dont real know what its like to have your race actually be a factor in certain (if not most) social situations. as far as this actual story its really just sad man. i know very well racism still exists but forreal tho? straight up shooting someone just because you're not comfortable around black kid minding his own damn business, then pretty much getting away with it? talk about some bullshit. i hope the "investigation" actually brings this man to justice. dude was the fucking head of neighborhood watch are you serious!? shake my motherfucking head man.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
next topic: minority on minority discrimination.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 09:49:44 PM »
Destroying any chances of a unified poor people's movement in LA. Black/Brown racism is an insane problem here. South LA was lit up in a virtual war a couple of years ago, and things still aren't right. Most of it is outside forces pushing people together in already fucked up conditions and from already fucked up conditions.

dude brought up a great point ive always said myself. most caucasian people in the US dont know what its like to be a minority. they dont real know what its like to have your race actually be a factor in certain (if not most) social situations. as far as this actual story its really just sad man. i know very well racism still exists but forreal tho? straight up shooting someone just because you're not comfortable around black kid minding his own damn business, then pretty much getting away with it? talk about some bullshit. i hope the "investigation" actually brings this man to justice. dude was the fucking head of neighborhood watch are you serious!? shake my motherfucking head man.
Something I always think about teaching all black and latino kids. I really don't know what its like. I have to be super conscious to check my assumptions. You hear of kids talking about racist teachers, and half the time I'll talk to the teacher outside of the class and they have good views, they just don't realize the weird power relation in the room and how to put it all in perspective. Again, I'm not saying I "get" any ethnicity in any way, though I like to think we all get along pretty well, I just get that being white makes the American experience a little different. And yeah, shit is fucked, human beings disgust me.
I'm getting ready to take my kids to a city-wide scholastic competition tomorrow, its very formal and most of the kids going are from rich white schools. I really hope we don't have to deal with too much bullshit.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Destroying any chances of a unified poor people's movement in LA. Black/Brown racism is an insane problem here. South LA was lit up in a virtual war a couple of years ago, and things still aren't right. Most of it is outside forces pushing people together in already fucked up conditions and from already fucked up conditions.

hell yeah i dont wanna make it sound like im only talking about whites cuz i know people of all races who hold certain stereotypes & assumptions against each other, including minorities against other minorites. im bi-racial so naturally im all for ethnic diversity n things like that but it really is a shame people still rather judge someone by their skin color as opposed to their character. sometimes i wish everybody in the world was mixed. they kinda are obviously but i mean like, half-caucasian with latino, black with asian, etc. i feel like that would make racial tension a much smaller issue & give everybody a bit more understanding.

filter

• Rep: 7
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:05 PM »
it's pretty fucked. when you have things like the racial profiling law in arizona and blatant police brutality/murder everywhere, makes you wonder if inequality is actually getting worse

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
Judging by the republican primaries I'd say so
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 05:06:22 AM »
this does not surprise me at all. after visiting some institutions for kids and homeless people in north philly and reading "code of the street" from elijah anderson I can say that america treats their own people like shit. america is not better then these third world countries that give a fuck about human rights ...

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »
Spike Jonze has you covered:

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Kristi Yamaguchi

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »
this does not surprise me at all. after visiting some institutions for kids and homeless people in north philly and reading "code of the street" from elijah anderson I can say that america treats their own people like shit. america is not better then these third world countries that give a fuck about human rights ...
You're delusional. I'm not going to act like we don't have atrocities that happen on a daily basis but generally speaking, we have it a million times better than a significant portion of the world.

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »
Terry Gross was on NPR interviewing a black guy about his zombie novel and asked him what how zombies factor into post-racial America. As in, raciscim is over and this is a thing people are saying. Dude was like  ???

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »
it's pretty fucked. when you have things like the racial profiling law in arizona and blatant police brutality/murder everywhere, makes you wonder if inequality is actually getting worse
This was a big story last year in some circles:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/07/26/999000/-Wealth-gap-along-racial-lines-worst-in-quarter-century-since-Census-began-collecting-data

And for those who read my other post, my kids kicked serious ass in the competition today and won second prize and a $500 grant. People had plenty of respect. Hyped!

Kab

• Rep: -38
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »

He must not have liked the way he looked

This is pretty damn hilarious.
Down by the river...

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 08:32:01 PM »

I read part of that book! And one of his other ones.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You're delusional. I'm not going to act like we don't have atrocities that happen on a daily basis but generally speaking, we have it a million times better than a significant portion of the world.
Somebody's delusional for sure... who are "we" and what do we have a million times better than what significant portion of the world? We have the highest incarceration rate of any nation, we're the only modern nation that will see a guy bleeding to death on the street, and charge him to receive care, we have virtually no rules or laws that are enforced pertaining to how police can act, and now  instances of cops shooting people on camera openly and intentionally come out and the cops responsible get slaps on the wrist at most. The U.S. government completely destroying the occupy movement for the sake of stifling debate. What makes us better, our super sized sodas? those are only about 2-3 times bigger (for those not American, here bigger always means the same thing as better)

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 05:27:31 AM »
28 year old white guy kills skiny black kid with gun, in self defence?
fuck off.
in a gated comunitty?
fuck right off.
he didnt get arrested?
the land of the free, home of the brave.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 07:04:42 AM »
At least the terrorists are losing. Amirite?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

jimi420

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 11:57:36 AM »
At least the terrorists are losing. Amirite?
No, because we have a Muslim President remember?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 01:49:43 PM »
Right.  His middle name is Hussein.  I thought we were at war with these people not making them our president!  Tax the poor!