Author Topic: Sheckler Robbed of 100k in Jewelry  (Read 29954 times)

victor333

Re: Sheckler Robbed of 100k in Jewelry
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2012, 10:08:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Talking about rap music in 2012� �::) (I do like Danny Brown though...)
[close]
Like someone else already said, there are more good rappers in the mainstream than there has been in a really really long time. I don't even know what you're talking about.
[close]
Name some? The production aspect is continually getting better but I see no progression. I listened to that ASAP Rocky tape and the dude just coasts by on lazy weed rhymes over some really good beats. Maybe it's just bitterness on my part from listening to too much rap in high school and getting sick of it completely
[close]
Uh, Kendrick, Every single person over at GOOD music, Childish Gambino, Earl Sweatshirt, Frank Ocean, Big KRIT, Lupe, Lil B, J. Cole, Drake(I don't like him but he makes good/fun music and I can see how younger kids and girls like him), Meek Mill, Jay Electronica, XV, Curren$y, Wale, Danny Brown, Theophilus London(I don't know much about him but my friend was playing him the other day and I liked what I heard), Action Bronson, MellowHype, the list really goes on forever.

Expand Quote
Kanye?come on. I'm a big fan of his, but his rapping is sub-par at best. He knows it too, his 'masterpiece' has nearly a guest on every song, he knows his strengths.
[close]
"Sup par" ??? Just stop dude. Kanye consistently drops quality stuff. The only time he wasn't really "on par" was on Watch The Throne and Graduation. The production on those pretty much carried him. Other than that, he does very well.

Frank Ocean sucks. Lupe jumped the shark. J Cole is hit or miss (mostly miss). Drake has a few good songs but, by an large, is pretty overrated.

Can you really call the bolded ones mainstream? I figure if they get TV time, then they're mainstream. I'm not really all up on who's who in rap, but some of your choices are definitely questionable - both their status as mainstream or not, and the quality of their music, and whether you should consider them "good".

And Kanye's lyrics are pretty hit-or-miss; I'd say leaning a little toward more miss. Like Dood said, he's charismatic (if you can call it that), has good flow and delivery. He knows how to make compelling and entertaining music, but a lot of the lyrics in his songs are either overly-simplistic or just nonsensical, faux metaphors.

"have you ever had sex with a pharaoh?....I put the pussy in a sarcophagus"

"somethin' wrong. I hold my head. MJ gone. Our nigga dead"

"that shit cray. Ain't it Jay? What she order? Fish filet"

"It's amazin. I'm the reason errbody fired up this evening. I'm exhausted, barely breathin', holdin' on to what I believe in......so amazin' (x34)"

I'd say College Dropout was his best lyrically (followed closely by Late Registration), and maybe my favorite overall Kanye album, but I go back and fourth between that one and MBDTF.

Kristi Yamaguchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
Re: Sheckler Robbed of 100k in Jewelry
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Talking about rap music in 2012� �::) (I do like Danny Brown though...)
[close]
Like someone else already said, there are more good rappers in the mainstream than there has been in a really really long time. I don't even know what you're talking about.
[close]
Name some? The production aspect is continually getting better but I see no progression. I listened to that ASAP Rocky tape and the dude just coasts by on lazy weed rhymes over some really good beats. Maybe it's just bitterness on my part from listening to too much rap in high school and getting sick of it completely
[close]
Uh, Kendrick, Every single person over at GOOD music, Childish Gambino, Earl Sweatshirt, Frank Ocean, Big KRIT, Lupe, Lil B, J. Cole, Drake(I don't like him but he makes good/fun music and I can see how younger kids and girls like him), Meek Mill, Jay Electronica, XV, Curren$y, Wale, Danny Brown, Theophilus London(I don't know much about him but my friend was playing him the other day and I liked what I heard), Action Bronson, MellowHype, the list really goes on forever.

Expand Quote
Kanye?come on. I'm a big fan of his, but his rapping is sub-par at best. He knows it too, his 'masterpiece' has nearly a guest on every song, he knows his strengths.
[close]
"Sup par" ??? Just stop dude. Kanye consistently drops quality stuff. The only time he wasn't really "on par" was on Watch The Throne and Graduation. The production on those pretty much carried him. Other than that, he does very well.
[close]

Frank Ocean sucks. Lupe jumped the shark. J Cole is hit or miss (mostly miss). Drake has a few good songs but, by an large, is pretty overrated.

Can you really call the bolded ones mainstream? I figure if they get TV time, then they're mainstream. I'm not really all up on who's who in rap, but some of your choices are definitely questionable - both their status as mainstream or not, and the quality of their music, and whether you should consider them "good".

And Kanye's lyrics are pretty hit-or-miss; I'd say leaning a little toward more miss. Like Dood said, he's charismatic (if you can call it that), has good flow and delivery. He knows how to make compelling and entertaining music, but a lot of the lyrics in his songs are either overly-simplistic or just nonsensical, faux metaphors.

"have you ever had sex with a pharaoh?....I put the pussy in a sarcophagus"

"somethin' wrong. I hold my head. MJ gone. Our nigga dead"

"that shit cray. Ain't it Jay? What she order? Fish filet"

"It's amazin. I'm the reason errbody fired up this evening. I'm exhausted, barely breathin', holdin' on to what I believe in......so amazin' (x34)"

I'd say College Dropout was his best lyrically (followed closely by Late Registration), and maybe my favorite overall Kanye album, but I go back and fourth between that one and MBDTF.

All except like 2 of the people you bolded have a multi million dollar deal with a major label, are on mtv/bet, in magazines, and all that shit. So yeah, I would consider them to be mainstream. The internet has kinda blurred the line between mainstream and underground though. You don't need to have a song on the radio to be popular and just because you do that doesn't mean you are. Some of these no label/indie people are super influential and fans would go crazy if they randomly saw them walking down the street. I.e Based God