Author Topic: Moving to Philadelphia  (Read 924 times)

ThirtyYearsYoung

Moving to Philadelphia
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »
I'm moving to Philadelphia in July and I'm starting to look at housing. What's a good part of town to live in if I want to be able to skate every day but not get bored hitting the same ledge spot or whatever day after day? I've been to Philly before and I understand that the whole city is highly skateable, but I won't have a car so ideally I'd like to live somewhere where there will be stuff I can just go outside and skate after work without worrying too much about the bust factor. I don't know anyone there, so if there's a part of town that's popular with skaters where I'd be likely to run into a lot of locals, that'd be cool. Winter is going to suck so if there's a covered spot or indoor park in the neighborhood, that would be a plus. Recommendations?

Wall of Nausea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -60
Re: Moving to Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »
just don't have sex with tom hanks and you should be good.

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »
Fishtown is a pretty hip neighborhood and you can probably skate a good amount of stuff in the area. Center City and South Philly probably have the most spots to skate. Be prepared to be kicked out of almost everywhere. Winter hasn't been much of an issue this year, but crime has! Watch yourself out there, especially in bad neighborhoods.

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »
If you're looking to buy a home Fishtown or lower Kensington is your best bet, everywhere else that's a livable neighborhood is way too expensive.  If you're renting then just about anywhere is an option, especially if you won't have a car.  Don't bother looking in Northeast Philly, it's either hood or lame residential area and feels really disconnected from the rest of the city.

Anywhere worth going in Philly is essentially within a 5 mile radius, you can skate to just about anywhere, and the subway is decent.  Been here 7 years and I love it.

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 04:55:28 PM »
Cool, I have a friend in Fishtown, he doesn't skate though. Actually that neighborhood seemed like a bit of a dump when I visited.

Definitely not buying a home. I think I'm going in with some other friends who want to rent an old mansion in west Philly. No idea what it's like out there but I figure it's enough to get me started.

Been to Philly a few times and loved it, can't wait to move out there.

pappalardospizza

• Rep: -2
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:21:19 PM »
phillip's steaks or bust

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »
Where in West Philly?  Clark Park/ Baltimore Ave or Powelton?; anywhere else in West Philly is pretty sketchy.  Clark Park area has some good stuff and it's super close to UPenn (good spots but keep moving around, security is rough) and get used to riding the trolley into the city.  Powelton is alright (where I live), shitty local bars but real close skate to everything.