Author Topic: How do you slappy grind?  (Read 33602 times)

arnold schwarzenegger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
How do you slappy grind?
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »
After looking up some vids on the interwebs, I tried it myself. Somehow it just ain't working. Anyone mind explaining it thoroughly?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: How do you slappy grind?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:09:47 PM »
Approach at a sharp angle lift up your front truck, lean over your toes (for backside) and just smash into that shit.

Edit: Turns out I have been doing them wrong all these years - don't lift up your front truck. Now I know why I never had them consistent.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:44:56 AM by happenstance »

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
There really is no explaining it thoroughly. Happenstance is right, just smash into that shit. Go fast, scrape it really loud, roll away feeling a little manlier.

skateohio

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:53 PM »
center of balance is key, U gotta stay on top or a little behind your board so you got that momentum working for ya, if all else fails you aren't going fast enough or find another curb  ;D

Uluru

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 01:55:49 AM »
Slappy grinds are such a bitch to learn. Just do what the instructional vids say, but its definitely not going to come easily.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:01:47 PM »
Try em on parking blocks. I can do slappy front 5-0s on parking blocks but no way in hell could I do one on a curb.

A.J.K.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
Backside just imagine doing a 50-50 on a ramp, or a little wallride.  As for frontside this is all that can really be said.....
"Smash into that shit" is the key.

donster

• Rep: -1
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »
slappies on curbs are really one of the few tricks im quite good at, and the key is that you don't lift your front truck at all. you smash the front truck into the curb and it will get on top of the curb automatically. put your front foot on the front bolts for that, maybe even further. the harder part is getting the back truck up the curb then, so you let your heel hang off a bit and really push it up the curb.

it's about slapping the board into the curb quite hard, it's not a smooth trick at all.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »
I'm trying to get these down now, and the one thing that sucks is if I mess up, the curb is the perfect height to start grind my axle.

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »
I'm trying to get these down now, and the one thing that sucks is if I mess up, the curb is the perfect height to start grind my axle.
Extra washers on the axle so your nut is flush.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Extra washers on the axle so your nut is flush.

that's what she said
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

slogant-shirt

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »
find a little ass curb or get some big wheels is a good way to learn, i approach them pretty straight and then turn into about a meter or so away from the curb.

they're pretty easy, im sure you'll work it out soon enough

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
think of it as an axle stall on a curb
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Tomasz Low

• Rep: 0
    • Park Sharks avatar image
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »
Big tires, big loose trucks, crunchy painted curb, preferably red or yellow. Approach the curb with some speed at a pretty straight angle, put pressure on your front foot's heel, let your front foot's front wheel get on top of the curb as you smash it in there, your back wheels are just gonna get on there with the pressure. Grind for as long as you can, curb dance, get off, and do it again. Watch the Grosso Loveletter to Curbs.

apad88

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »

otzzo

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 08:10:52 AM »
Trick Tip | Mike Anderson

This helped me. It just takes some time to figure it out. Be patient and try and try again

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 11:48:21 AM »
Trick Tip | Mike Anderson

This helped me. It just takes some time to figure it out. Be patient and try and try again

that's a pretty man sized slappy curb.  kudos to him
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Dick Butkus

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
Go to your local DMV on a saturday or sunday (preferably sunday so you can #slappysunday on instagram and look cool as fuck) and just go for it. "Slappys are 10% skill and 90% attitude" -Eric Koston

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 01:10:35 AM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
Approach at a sharp angle lift up your front truck, lean over your toes (for backside) and just smash into that shit.

Edit: Turns out I have been doing them wrong all these years - don't lift up your front truck. Now I know why I never had them consistent.

Lifting your front truck on frontside ones feels safer....start out doing it this was and inevitably instead of lifting you'll start smashing....

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 03:47:56 AM »
Grosso's Loveletters- Curbs

fuck thanks for posting this. pretty rad. never seen these "love letters" before.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »

I STARTED DOIN THEM AFTER A SAW  A LIGHTNING BOLT EXPLODE RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. GAVE ME SUPER POWERS.NOW I CAN SEE HOW A SPOT WAS AND WILL BE.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »

You guys mean these kind of parking blocks?  Thats pretty much all we have around here; all the street curbs are rounded and really gritty.

Is there a good way to get parking blocks to grind?  The ones around here aren't made out of very smooth concrete.  I have a rub brick and spray enamel, never really had the opportunity to use them though
For Your Health

Shredsledder

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »
I was talking to this guy who works construction in the city and he mentioned something called a curb maker. It sounded preposterous to me for some reason, but I researched it just now.

http://www.lilbubba.com

I just leafed through the "curbing gallery" and creamed my jeans.

I want this machine.

Miller Concrete Landscape Curbing Machine

apparently you can rent them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:59:03 PM by Shredsledder »

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »
GREAT FINDS !
TRY SOME MARBLE DOORSTEPS FIRST
WAX UR TRUX
BREATH BEND UR KNEES
FEEL THE CONCAVES
AIM THE CURB WITH YOUR HAND
LIGHTEN YOUR FEET UP, ONE AFTER THE OTHER AS YOU CARVE AND LOCK YOUR TRUCKS IN AND OUT
THATS ALL I WANT TO DO, I HAVE DREAMS ABOUT IT, THE FEELING IS UNDESCRIBEABLE  :o  GRRRRRRRRRRRR
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:55:00 PM by BRIX SKWIKZ »

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »
Don't forget to do the invisible unweight-ing thing. Nobody really talks about that when mentioning slappy trick tips.
It's so fast you don't even know you do it, but you know when you don't.

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 10:54:10 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I want to share what finally made this trick click for me. The key is to not so much “bash” your board into the curb, but to do more of a really hard carve at the last second. That may seem obvious, but thinking of the motion as a carve helped. Also, keeping your back foot closer to the bolts, not on the back of the tail helps a lot in getting your back truck on. Ten years in, just figured these out.

Brguy

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 01:31:56 PM »
They're like a really small wallride.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 07:12:39 PM »
go fast, bend your knees, approach the curb at an angle and before your front wheel hits the curb, turn the curb side of your deck upward by either pointing your heels down for frontside or toes down for backside and then, as your board starts riding up the side of the curb, straighten your deck and center your weight over the curb and lock into the grind, then come off however you want. if you’ve never done them before, the hardest part is letting go of the instinct to ollie onto the curb. you gotta ride up the side of it. in the beginning it might be easiest to go at a really sharp angle, carve and slash the curb to get used to the movement.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
Chuck has it down.

For the longest time I'd ollie into them,now I just go fast and wish for the best, frontside is a different approach though. Sometimes I imagine I'm going up a steep wall and have to powerslide into a 5050, feet on bolts, and being light footed for that split second you Slap

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house