Author Topic: How do you slappy grind?  (Read 33603 times)

Olabade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -46
Re: How do you slappy grind?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 08:43:58 PM »
Both feet over the bolts.

Sharp angle towards the curb.

Approaching the curb start turning towards the curb and then start carving in the opposite direction.

Lean back and try to be light footed.

Your curb side front wheel hitting the curb and pressure on your heels (fs) / toes (bs) will tilt the board and lift it on to the curb (front truck first).

Also you dont need to go fast if you have the right tecnique.

Have fun.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »
I neer understood slappys I go fast smash the crub and go flying haha smashing the board in a crubs doesn't get the board on it stops it... is there anything that helps? waxing the side of the nose maybe?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 05:01:43 PM »
Rounded wheels help,along with some speed when learning

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »
I neer understood slappys I go fast smash the crub and go flying haha smashing the board in a crubs doesn't get the board on it stops it... is there anything that helps? waxing the side of the nose maybe?

I definitely looked like a fucking moron ramming my board into the curb and coming to a dead stop a couple thousand times when I was trying to figure them out. 

I found that I had to lean back on my heels more than I thought I needed to (for frontside slappies).

Like Francis said, smaller, rounder wheels will get on there easier.  Personally, I’ve found that they are easier on wider trucks as well.

This sounds really dumb, but what helped me is thinking that I have to make getting up on the curb the path of least resistance for the board.  So you’re basically just using your weight and momentum to force it up there against its will.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

doctorpoopy

• Rep: 0
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »
front slappies are the easiest trick in the world if you dont overthink it.  feet on the bolts and just jam into it.  no lifting up.  sometimes your back wheels will slide on the ground a few inches before they bump up onto the curb
Why are adjectives almost always in the following order quantity, quality, size, age, shape, color, purpose. Why can't I say " useless, big, three, bad men" instead of "three useless, big, bad men" It's n

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 01:12:17 AM »
I find backside slappies way easier, the frontside ones regularly send me flying over the curb. That's probably me overthinking it though.

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 04:40:24 AM »
I find backside slappies way easier, the frontside ones regularly send me flying over the curb. That's probably me overthinking it though.

Might need to haunch down a little more and keep your weight on the back foot?

Cute dog avatar btw

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 05:46:43 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I want to share what finally made this trick click for me. The key is to not so much “bash” your board into the curb, but to do more of a really hard carve at the last second. That may seem obvious, but thinking of the motion as a carve helped. Also, keeping your back foot closer to the bolts, not on the back of the tail helps a lot in getting your back truck on. Ten years in, just figured these out.

I'm gonna try this advice today. I seem to ride away from slappys only 10% of the time because what happens when in this video he shows using his hands the first time: My board overshoots the curb and i grind only the back truck automatically making my shoulders turn. Sometimes it looks like I do it on purpose though like slappy to front board, but I know it isn't.

Trick Tip | Mike Anderson

This helped me. It just takes some time to figure it out. Be patient and try and try again

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 04:14:18 AM »
try learning to just stall first

also try different curbs

i've been relearning them and can do the curb at my kids school but can do the one at house park yet

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 10:28:36 PM »
Slanted California-type curbs are much easier to do them on than vertical curbs. If you have ever ridden a snowboard, it’s sort of the same feeling as doing a hard carve, where the edge of board really comes up, only with a curb in the way. If you’ve not ridden a snowboard, it’s still just like a hard carve into a curb (as said above). Also, I absolutely agree with what others have said; slappies make absolutely NO SENSE. They just shouldn’t be possible, and I also think they are one of THE hardest tricks to teach/explain.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

leadfoot

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2019, 08:56:22 PM »
I learned how to slappy this week so my advice might do more harm than good but here goes. I think loose, surfy trucks definitely help because slappies were surprisingly easy to learn for me and I skate somewhat loose Indys. I approach the curb at a wide angle. When I get to the curb I do a slight frontside carve and lean back on my heels with my front foot on the bolts and back foot on the center of my tail to peel my wheels off the ground and onto the curb. This shit don't make no sense at all but somehow it works. Speed helps but it doesn't really matter. If you're doing it right you should be able to get up the curb with very little speed. This trick is all about leaning your weight and angle, If you're finding that you can't get fully on top of the curb then wait a little bit longer to shift your weight from your heels to back over your trucks when you're getting in.

Funky Boy

• Rep: -1
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »

Does the duro of the wheel have anything to do with it? I ride 90a wheels, because the streets are super-crusty around these parts. I'm trying to learn slappies but I'm worried soft wheels might make them more difficult.
my new purpose in life is to keep you at 0

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2019, 05:47:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does the duro of the wheel have anything to do with it? I ride 90a wheels, because the streets are super-crusty around these parts. I'm trying to learn slappies but I'm worried soft wheels might make them more difficult.
Not in my experience, but depending on the curb you might have to squat that slap in,because I would bounce of some curbs. If you're going fast enough nothing matters really,you're going to grind the fuck out of whatever you're slappin' with speed invovled.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2019, 07:20:14 PM »
Sloppy is like dribbling your bord into the curb

Slap that shit up there and step on it. It’ll go

Funky Boy

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2019, 07:33:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Not in my experience, but depending on the curb you might have to squat that slap in,because I would bounce of some curbs. If you're going fast enough nothing matters really,you're going to grind the fuck out of whatever you're slappin' with speed invovled.

Good to know, thanks!

• Rep: 31
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2019, 11:07:11 PM »
Don’t you want to learn from Jef Hartsel?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_w73dENxudw

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2019, 02:11:18 AM »
I'm guessing that big and soft wheels could help at the beginning to get used no?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Funky Boy

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »
I'm guessing that big and soft wheels could help at the beginning to get used no?

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I had heard that the harder the wheel, the better for getting up on curbs, which seems counterintuitive, honestly. Then again, the slappy itself is pretty counterintuitive.

Funky Boy

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 09:06:41 PM »

I love that video so much. Hartsel is such a good dude.

tedkootz

• Rep: -59
  • my life be like ooh ahh
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2019, 12:18:34 PM »
power in the front foot

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2019, 01:07:25 AM »
it's very hard to explain but its always fun to race around and slappy every red curb in sight because my friends who are LIGHTYEARS better than me cant do them. same with no-comply tricks.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2019, 08:55:28 PM »
just noticed the link was already posted but this video is good.

http://youtu.be/_w73dENxudw

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »

Holy shit, that was amazing.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 09:41:37 PM »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2019, 05:57:07 AM »
Was trying to relearn them today, and realized most skaters don’t even know what they are doing themselves (because the good ones are so natural they don’t break the movement down) and this are shit at explaining it.

90% of people say you just ‘smash that shit’ or some bullshit like that, the people who have a clue will say something about being ‘lightfooted’.

The approach angle and speed are all well explained. Same with the carving motion.

But when it comes to hitting the curb, you don’t force it on, it won’t work. Especially do not straighten your legs trying to increase the force of impact.

You have to ‘unweight’ your feet as you go on. Front foot first, then the back.

This is not ‘lifting up the front trucks’, it is merely taking most of the pressure off the front foot, allowing the front trucks to bump up, then the back foot, and get the rear ones on. Then you grip, get your weight to the rear, and enjoy the ride.

It’s a very quick and subtle movement,  which is why you don’t catch it watching the videos (and why most people don’t notice themselves doing it) but it is the most important one.

A bit like then you unweight the board to nollie bump a crack that’s sticking up.

The next most important movement is turning the hips in the direction of the slappy, like you are carving a bowl, and lean into the turn a fair bit, like you are carving coping.

When you get these points right, it is effortless.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:09:44 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2019, 07:45:19 AM »
That's a great rundown of it.  I'm still struggling with them, but last session I had them working on a smaller curb.  Once you're up it feels amazing but it's a frustrating battle as you need to learn to sharpen your instinct as it's such a fast thing.

I think half the battle is finding a curb they work on, especially while getting the hang of them.  All the curbs I have access to are big, 90 degrees and not painted. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2019, 07:55:40 AM »
yeah, that hartsel vid and cucktard's post are pretty much on point. There was some advice a few pages back from a poster that said it's almost like a power slide and I kind of agree with that, if you can push your back heel on frontside ones like you do on a power slide it helps get you up there. I wish I could skate one of those slanted curbs; my local is 90 degrees AND had a lip on it! I guess the benefit is that if I can get them down consistently on that then regular curbs won't be too much of a challenge for me...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
I got some round ass wheels (oj little doodies) and they make getting up there a lot easier for me. I've only done a handful because I broke my toe the other day, but since I can't pop anything I'm really pretty much limited to slappys and just cruising which is actually really nice in a way. But yeah, big round wheels definitely helps get up on them, the only thing I don't like about it is they're pretty soft and sometimes it feels like they sorta catch the curb and bounce the board back and I end up not having my weight centered over my trucks the way I want.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2019, 07:13:01 AM »
I finally got them fully going at full speed on a slanted parking block.  Nearly fucken blacked out I was so happy, felt amazing.  I had been getting them up, but not properly, full pelt frontside.  Cant wait to go back. 

The advice of a deep carve like you're surfing and the curb is the lip is probably the best advice.  Takes the weight off the outside wheels and they just pop up.  Feet on bolts pretty much, speed and that carve and bringo.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2019, 07:18:28 AM »
Awesome, glad to hear it. I just relearned fs as well.

I never was that keen on grinds, but slappies on a nice smooth curb is one of the best feelings when you get it right
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea